HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Smyth to Calgary close

Old
06-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Trav

vCash: 500
I can understand NTC's during the season but in the summer they should be frozen so teams can make deals. If Regehr said no to Buffalo then the hell with the overpaid bum.

Players shouldn't be allowed to dictate where they play, period. They should be glad their even in the league.

Trav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Trollmark*

Buffalo has crappy AIR CONNECTIONS

Trollmark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:24 PM
RA9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollmark View Post
lol This guy.

http://www.edmonton.com/for-visitors/festival-city.aspx

Here, educate yourself.

You know the diffrence between Detroit and Calgary?
One team can be old and still competitive.
And the other plays inside of a cowboy's seat.

I love Calgary, it's cute how they want to be so cosmopolitan like Toronto or Vancouver, but they are the equivalent of a cowboy wearing shiny spurs.
But enjoy your little quirks about Edmonton, it's the only thing keeping you mouth-breathers happy. Because everyone outside of Calgary and Airdrie knows you guys are just nothing but suit-wearing cowboys. Too bad the Gucci cologne doesn't take away the manure smell. Love that stampede!
umad?

RA9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:25 PM
popo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I disagree.

The difference between the cities is bigger than you think due to the proximity to the mountains of Calgary. A lot of hockey players are small town boys from Canada. They are used to cold weather and like to do outdoorsy things. Calgary and the Banff area offers a much more appealing range of activities than Edmonton. In the winter you have skiing at world class resorts. In the summer you have fishing, hiking, etc..

In Edmonton you have....Klondike Days? Or if you ever wanted to viist a place with multiple Tip Top Tailors under one roof, there is West Edmonton Mall.
Just what every GM wants- their players tearing up their knees on the ski slopes in the middle of the season. *COUGH* MALAKHOV *COUGH*

popo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:25 PM
bam09

As per OILFAN1, an ITK who nailed the Carter, Richards, and Bryzgalov deals before they happened, the trade was Regehr and Stajan for Adam, 16 and a future 2nd.

bam09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Signature
One brick at a time.

vCash: 50
Well, Regehr's declined to go to Buffalo, and while there's been other rumours that other teams were kicking the tires about Regehr, I don't think anyone else was really offering as good as 1st+prospect - the cap space alone would be a very large part of doing this Smyth deal.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:28 PM
TheSpaceman

Ive lived in Calgary and have a lot of family in Edmonton. I prefer Calgary for some aspects and Edmonton for others. If I had to choose a place to live it would probably be Calgary. If I was a millionaire I wouldn't care between the two.

TheSpaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Trollmark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolWhipped View Post
umad?
I don't like Edmonton Jr. talking without putting his hand up.
They are still salty they weren't chosen as the capital.

Trollmark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Clownpipe*
Whitney Smash!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I disagree.

The difference between the cities is bigger than you think due to the proximity to the mountains of Calgary. A lot of hockey players are small town boys from Canada. They are used to cold weather and like to do outdoorsy things. Calgary and the Banff area offers a much more appealing range of activities than Edmonton. In the winter you have skiing at world class resorts. In the summer you have fishing, hiking, etc..

In Edmonton you have....Klondike Days? Or if you ever wanted to viist a place with multiple Tip Top Tailors under one roof, there is West Edmonton Mall.
You think these guys have "skiing clauses" in their contracts LOL? Is that why Regehr is so slow? He hurt his legs on the Flames mid-season bro-boarding trip to Sunshine? Banff is probably first on the list of things you can't do if you have an NHL contract.

Clownpipe* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:31 PM
oilers92

vCash: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownpipe View Post
You think these guys have "skiing clauses" in their contracts LOL? Is that why Regehr is so slow? He hurt his legs on the Flames mid-season bro-boarding trip to Sunshine? Banff is probably first on the list of things you can't do if you have an NHL contract.
if the only reason to join a team is b/c other places are closer is that rly a complement to the city or the surrounding areas

oilers92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:32 PM
TheSpaceman

PS. Calgary is far more developed because Turner Valley is the birthplace of Oil in Alberta. A lot of oil companies set up shop in Calgary at this time instead of Edmonton because of this. Turner Valley turned out to be kind of a bust then Leduc #2 was drilled. Anyways, Calgary is not a hick town either, I doubt you have ever been there. Olds Alberta is a hick town.

If your Ryan Smyth would you really care if you get to spend an extra couple hours in your porche to get to banff?

Old
06-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killericon View Post
Both cities are modern and thriving. They're both in the middle of a long-term economic boom. IMO, the only thing that stops a player from wanting to come up to Canada is the cold. Of all the Canadian cities that have hockey teams, Edmonton is the coldest, and the biggest reason why Calgary isn't as bad is because there's breaks from the cold down here.

Maybe it's not as big a deal as myself and others like to say, but the only instance I can think of(not that that's worth much) of the Flames heavily pursuing a free agent and not landing him would be Niedermayer after the lockout, and I think the consensus was that he chose Anaheim to play with his brother, not because Calgary is a bad place to live.
Winnipeg is very cold and arguably colder than Edmonton.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:38 PM
TheSpaceman

Regardless of all this bickering. Smyth wants to play for and live in Edmonton. He will not go to Calgary unless he has to and Edmonton says no. He is only considering Calgary so that he can get to Edmonton easier.

Old
06-24-2011, 05:41 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordover View Post
Regardless of all this bickering. Smyth wants to play for and live in Edmonton. He will not go to Calgary unless he has to and Edmonton says no. He is only considering Calgary so that he can get to Edmonton easier.
This!

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Winnipeg is very cold and arguably colder than Edmonton.
One of my best friends has moved back and worth between Edmonton and Winnipeg 3 or 4 times. He makes it sound like it's not even debatable. Winnipeg is A LOT colder.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

I would keep my mouth shut if I was a Flames fan because Calgary is about to become the new gulag of the league. Looks good on them.

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:44 PM
Haatley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollmark View Post
lol This guy.

http://www.edmonton.com/for-visitors/festival-city.aspx

Here, educate yourself.

You know the diffrence between Detroit and Calgary?
One team can be old and still competitive.
And the other plays inside of a cowboy's seat.

I love Calgary, it's cute how they want to be so cosmopolitan like Toronto or Vancouver, but they are the equivalent of a cowboy wearing shiny spurs.
But enjoy your little quirks about Edmonton, it's the only thing keeping you mouth-breathers happy. Because everyone outside of Calgary and Airdrie knows you guys are just nothing but suit-wearing cowboys. Too bad the Gucci cologne doesn't take away the manure smell. Love that stampede!
Why you mad?

Bittttttttter ass Oiler fan.

Haatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:46 PM
CorsiCounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckfan4Life2 View Post
Smyth
Stajan
Langkow

14.25 Cap Hit

H Sedin
D Sedin
Burrows

14.20 Cap hit
Smyth, Stajan, and a playoff warrior that had some bad luck vs. three perennial chokers. Nobody really wins.

CorsiCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:47 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
One of my best friends has moved back and worth between Edmonton and Winnipeg 3 or 4 times. He makes it sound like it's not even debatable. Winnipeg is A LOT colder.
Winnipeg is more colder than Edmonton, fact.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Timmy

Knock off the flaming and OT city-bashing crap and stick to the subject or you'll be infracted and removed from the thread.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Rejean31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordover View Post
I'll bet if he is traded to Calgary, the only time he'll set foot in Edmonton is when the Flames are in town to play the Oilers.

Rejean31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:53 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Mean Dean at it again!

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:54 PM
Angelus
Smile Time!

All I'll say is it will make me ill to see Smyth in Flames jersey. But if it's true Regehr said no to the Buffalo trade than it's all moot

Angelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Shellz

DarrenDreger Darren Dreger
Sounds like it could be player for player. Smyth for Brule?

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 06:04 PM
molsonmuscle360

vCash: 50
Dreger is saying on Twitter could be Smyth for Brule

molsonmuscle360 is offline   Reply With Quote