HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All Things Brad Richards Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai View Post
Wasn't it confirmed Richards denied trade to Philly yesterday?
Not sure if it was confirmed that it was Philly, but Cox said that the team was not Toronto.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:09 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:
Link? I didn't hear this anywhere.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:09 PM
ForSpareParts*
agreement

this is awesome news even if he doesn't ink with us. the collective self-esteem of Leafs Nation rises from the crypt.

AWWWHhhhWHWHHWWH!

Old
06-24-2011, 02:10 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

I don't think there was an indication that Richards turned down a trade to the Leafs. Anyways, this is great news. I am in the "Leafs should get Brad Richards" camp, since, IMO, it makes the most sense. Having Richards, Kadri and Schenn on the same team?

Old
06-24-2011, 02:11 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
i'm pretty sure Burke offered a 2nd to Dallas for Richards' rights, which was accepted. Richards declined to waive his NTC

Old
Mogwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
Link? I didn't hear this anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
i'm pretty sure Burke offered a 2nd to Dallas for Richards' rights, which was accepted. Richards declined to waive his NTC

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=3...7&postcount=85

That's what I remember from yesterday.

Old
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselPhaneufTML View Post
A few months ago, when asked would he like to play in Toronto, he shook his head
Has a player mid season ever come out and said he wanted to play somewhere else the following year?

He most likely shook his head in disbelief at the stupidity of the question.

Old
Interactif

His agent said they will not be accepting a trade to any team yesterday, he said this is about Brad now, not Dallas and added why would Brad hurt the team he is going to sign with by allowing compensation to go the other way.

Old
Guy Boucher

vCash: 420
Quote:
Confirmed by "hockey break"...whatever that is. Damien Cox reported that it was NOT the leafs trying to trade for his rights, howerver.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:12 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mack View Post
The interview was unbelievable.

Pat Morris says that the camp believes Toronto is a perfect fit, the only thing that they need to discuss is money and term, IF Toronto is interested.

He even said he expects Toronto to meet him face-to-face on July 1st since his office is in Oakville.

I can't believe how open he was about it. Makes me think they are trying to drum up the price.

EDIT: Of course he did say all teams will be heard out, but he specifically indicated that Toronto is a perfect fit after he sat down with Brad and discussed the city, the system, the powerplay, the team, the direction, the coach, etc. etc.
i wonder where in Oakville???.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:13 PM
roosterman

I heard the interview as well but the agent also indicated Richards thinks this is his last contract and would be looking for more than 5 years (I'm paraphrasing).

This could be a show stopper for Burkie...

Old
06-24-2011, 02:13 PM
MLHS Joe C

Quote:
It was confirmed to not be Toronto several times

Old
06-24-2011, 02:14 PM
Interactif

I'm sick of Richards, I can't wait till he signs somewhere, if it's with us I will welcome him and his 9-10 yr contract. But if it's elsewhere, much more likely. Good riddence to you if you don't want to be a leaf. It's his perogative, but get outta here...

Old
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

doesn't mean anything one way or the other. The Leafs are routinely used as foils by agents to drive up the price for the real destination team.

Old
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

Pat Morris says that the camp believes Toronto is a perfect fit, the only thing that they need to discuss is money and term, IF Toronto is interested.

He even said he expects Toronto to meet him face-to-face on July 1st since his office is in Oakville.

I can't believe how open he was about it. Makes me think they are trying to drum up the price.

EDIT: Of course he did say all teams will be heard out, but he specifically indicated that Toronto is a perfect fit after he sat down with Brad and discussed the city, the system, the powerplay, the team, the direction, the coach, etc. etc.
You forgot to add an important piece of information that came out in the interview.

Stellick asked him directly that Burke believes in short-term deals 5-6 years max and would Richards considered a shorter term deal?

Pat Morris replied that Richards is considering this to be his last contract so he is looking for term far longer than 5 years and that will be an important factor in his final decision.

So that does not preclude the Leafs, but it will force Burke to be looking at 8+ years contract offer, going against his normal beliefs to get in the game.

06-24-2011, 02:16 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLHS Joe C View Post
It was confirmed to not be Toronto several times
i swear i read it somewhere

Old
06-24-2011, 02:16 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
You forgot to add an important piece of information that came out in the interview.

Stellick asked him directly that Burke believes in short-term deals 5-6 years max and would Richards considered a shorter term deal?

Pat Morris replied that Richards is considering this to be his last contract so he is looking for term far longer than 5 years and that will be an important factor in his final decision.

So that does not preclude the Leafs, but it will force Burke to be looking at 8+ years contract offer, going against his normal beliefs to get in the game.
Morris said with a straight face-tone more accurately on TSN, he wants 10 yrs and doesn't think it is an outrageous demand.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:17 PM
hullsy47

Quote:

i think his choice will be tampa .....and will as far as accomodating the lightning
i think tampa is discussing this very scenario as we speak

Old
06-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Leafed

Quote:

Wow, that's really candid. Hopefully it was the truth

Old
06-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:

You're pulling the 8 year figure out of a place where the sun doesn't shine.

Burke's usual top is 5 years.. but in his first interview with TSN1050 he said he'd do whatever the market demanded to get a top line center (obviously talking about Richards). Burke may go 6-7 years in this instance, what Burke is against is the retirement circumvention deals.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:18 PM
KingBuzzo
A custom title.

I think for the right player, like Richards, that Burke will sign him to whatever he wants to get him here. I don't think if Richards wants to come to Toronto and it all relies on a 8 year contract that Burke would say no.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:19 PM
rawsensation
The College Dropout

link to the broadcast?

Old
06-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeBird View Post
He also said that this will be Richards last contract and that he will be looking for a Long Term Contract. Something that Burkie has refused to do, he even testified against the Devils and Jersey Lou his College coach for the League, saying it was a breach of CBA.
Burke is against the long term contracts that end when the player is in his 40's and making 1 million a year. He didn't say he's against giving out a 6 - 8 year contract that pays a player a reasonable salary until the contract is through.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:20 PM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselPhaneufTML View Post
A few months ago, when asked would he like to play in Toronto, he shook his head
maybe he shook his head at how stupid the question was considering he was property of the dallas stars and could've resigned with them, without going through all this hoopla.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:20 PM
Mogwai

Quote:
i swear i read it somewhere
Incorrectamundo.

Closed Thread