HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All Things Brad Richards Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2011, 02:20 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
You forgot to add an important piece of information that came out in the interview.

Stellick asked him directly that Burke believes in short-term deals 5-6 years max and would Richards considered a shorter term deal?

Pat Morris replied that Richards is considering this to be his last contract so he is looking for term far longer than 5 years and that will be an important factor in his final decision.

So that does not preclude the Leafs, but it will force Burke to be looking at 8+ years contract offer, going against his normal beliefs to get in the game.
The hard part about that is that Burke doesn't do those 8+ Year deals from what I've seen. He's currently 31, signing a 8 year deal would make him 39 when the deal ends. Do you think the Leafs will be cup contenders by that time?

Old
06-24-2011, 02:22 PM
Enemy

Good news. Is there any way to listen to the interview? Searched their site but came up with nothing. Maybe I'm blind.

Old
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Duthie View Post
The hard part about that is that Burke doesn't do those 8+ Year deals from what I've seen. He's currently 31, signing a 8 year deal would make him 39 when the deal ends. Do you think the Leafs will be cup contenders by that time?
not cup contenders by that time, cup defenders by that time...

Old
Interactif

7 years front loaded is the most I can see Burke bending his rules, and that's pushing it.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Larcos_Unal

this is just an agent trying to drive up the offers from other teams, well played sir...

Old
06-24-2011, 02:24 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
You forgot to add an important piece of information that came out in the interview.

Stellick asked him directly that Burke believes in short-term deals 5-6 years max and would Richards considered a shorter term deal?

Pat Morris replied that Richards is considering this to be his last contract so he is looking for term far longer than 5 years and that will be an important factor in his final decision.

So that does not preclude the Leafs, but it will force Burke to be looking at 8+ years contract offer, going against his normal beliefs to get in the game.
This. People seem to completely ignore the fact that burke says his contract max is 5-6 years. They ignored it about k-chuck too. Stop this pipe dream. Burke doesn't want to tie up the franchise's future with a veteran centre who will likely be overpaid for most of his contract.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:25 PM
Loso

Maybe we should get both Richards and the missing Schenn, give Bowen a real tough time.

Let's face it though, they might just be trying to raise the bids from everywhere else.

I'm torn as to whether or not we should even try to get Richards which could either click with the development of our other players to make us a contender, or put us in that 6-12th place trap, or if we should just let it ride with what we have and hope to develop our own #1C without crippling our cap in the future, or we suck so much that we get Nail.

Pros and Cons to each side. I'm really at a loss right now.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Jerkini

The fact that Burke doesn't offer long term deals hurts this team more than he lets on. A team like this, we should be taking full advantage of that. Regardless of the grey area involved.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:26 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
This. People seem to completely ignore the fact that burke says his contract max is 5-6 years. They ignored it about k-chuck too. Stop this pipe dream. Burke doesn't want to tie up the franchise's future with a veteran centre who will likely be overpaid for most of his contract.
Burke has recently backed away from that being a firm, locked in stone statement.

You guys rate media quotes way to high

Old
06-24-2011, 02:27 PM
SprDaVE

Considering how Burke was this close to acquiring Richards AND Carter, I think we can put aside his dislike of long-term contracts.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:27 PM
Darylman

There is absolutely no reason for Burke not to break his rule here. With the resources of the Leafs, he can be demoted if he ever gets so bad (in what, 6 or 7 years?) that his play warrants it. There is no point to the 5 year principle. Its absolutely ridiculous and if it costs us a number one, conn smythe winning centreman I will take a deep hard look at lessening my love for this team. We've sat by forever while he signs the Komisarek's, the Beauchemin's, the Lebdas...Give me a break. It's time to win. Why are we letting money get in the way? You give him a NTC but not a NMC and you offer him whatever he wants. I'm so sick of losing. The Jets are going to be my second favorite team and Nashville my third. I hope it stays that way..

Old
06-24-2011, 02:30 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
Burke has recently backed away from that being a firm, locked in stone statement.

You guys rate media quotes way to high
No he hasn't. He said he would consider trading for a contract of that type. He still believes frontloaded contracts are cap circumvention.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:30 PM
DM797

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
He said on TSN Radio that he would....something along the lines of "if the market demands it".....Burke is realizing that for top flight players the market now requires teams to fork out big cash and big term for the top line elite players.

Burke isn't stupid...yes it's best to go short term deals, but if you NEVER EVER go long term/big contacts you may potentially never land that top line guy you need.

Reality of supply/demand.....the cap is going up. Burke just doesn't agree with circumventing the cap by using retirement contracts, which are now not allowed.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:32 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkini View Post
The fact that Burke doesn't offer long term deals hurts this team more than he lets on. A team like this, we should be taking full advantage of that. Regardless of the grey area involved.
Richards would be a change in organizational direction if Burke offers long term contracts, it will have an effect on his future dealings. Other teams are doing it, ie. Boston, maybe it's time to revisit this policy. Is it hurting us more than it is helping us now. Still it doesn't guarantee Richards wants to play here.

I mentioned this earlier but Newport knows Burke well, their clients are also Phaneuf, Kessel, and Schenn.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:33 PM
Darylman

As to those saying Richards doesn't make us a contender, WTF are you talking about?

With Richards we have TWO absolutely excellent lines, the Grabo line is one of the best number 2's in the entire league.

Lupul - Richards - Kessel would be a bonafide number one, not elite, but very very good.

We have a weak bottom 6, this is true, but we also have enough money extra to spend on it. Bozak is worth trying at the 3 hole and Armstrong is a very solid player who would thrive in the playoffs. Mike Brown is an awesome fourth liner.

Kadri is a mystery on 3'rd line LW but Philly has had great success throwing rookies into a 3'rd line. There's no doubt Brent/Orr need to upgraded upon but there's potential there as well with Konopka available. Brent would be a solid 4'th line winger for PK.

If Reimer plays like he did and we add Richards, no doubt in my mind we have a team we can finally be proud to cheer for.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:33 PM
robdicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
There is absolutely no reason for Burke not to break his rule here. With the resources of the Leafs, he can be demoted if he ever gets so bad (in what, 6 or 7 years?) that his play warrants it. There is no point to the 5 year principle. Its absolutely ridiculous and if it costs us a number one, conn smythe winning centreman I will take a deep hard look at lessening my love for this team. We've sat by forever while he signs the Komisarek's, the Beauchemin's, the Lebdas...Give me a break. It's time to win. Why are we letting money get in the way? You give him a NTC but not a NMC and you offer him whatever he wants. I'm so sick of losing. The Jets are going to be my second favorite team and Nashville my third. I hope it stays that way..
Well if u give him a nmc u can't demote him. He knows that and will likely demand one.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:34 PM
roosterman

Perhaps if Burkie could structure the contract such that we can buy him out after 5-6 years then a longer term contract might work for Burkie. Richards would likely reject this though.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprDaVE View Post
Considering how Burke was this close to acquiring Richards AND Carter, I think we can put aside his dislike of long-term contracts.
Maybe he's okay if he inherits it, so he can go back to the table and say I didn't do this deal, I just traded for it. A slight difference, but in negotiating it's a biggie in bargaining.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Christ

Richards would be crazy to not consider the Leafs, especially if the Leafs offered the money he wants. Richards is the kind of player who would be adored by fans if he came to this city and would have some pretty good linemates to work with in Kessel and Lupul.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Ari91

I wouldn't expect his agent to say that he doesn't want to play here. Why so many people believe that he definitely won't want to come here is just their own assumptions they've tried to create as facts. Even if Toronto isn't among his top choices, he's obviously looking for a contract that can accomodate him financially and long term - he's not going to make a public statement that Toronto has no chance with him when they are one of the few teams that have the resources to meet his needs fully. He's not going to burn that bridge without first finding out what he can get for crossing over.

I think Burke will be flexible with his long term deal stance. He was in the talks for Richards and Carter and their contract length is certainly nothing to laugh about. They are younger but Richards is a quality centre that can still perform at above average level in the league. I can see Burke maybe considering going 7-8 putting Richards at 38/39 (?) but I don't know if I see him biting down on a deal that sees Richards finishing up his contract in his 40s.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:39 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

I don't see Burke going more than 7 years. I don't mind with a higher cap hit if that helps.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
ChuckWoods

Richards wanting to come here isn't the issue. I posted a week ago that he wanted to come here, and I had heard that from a very reliable source, and next his agent states it openly.

The issue is going to be market value. Is he going to price himself out of Torontos comfort level? Quite possibly. It will be interesting to see if Burke bends or breaks because its going to take a 7 year term in the least to lock him up. Which is generally beyond Burkies comfort level.

Old
06-24-2011, 02:40 PM
Interactif

Leafs have almost 23 million in capspace, how much do we use this on Richards?

Old
06-24-2011, 02:41 PM
KesselPhaneufTML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post

Old
06-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Mogwai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Leafs have almost 23 million in capspace, how much do we use this on Richards?
8.5 IMO

Closed Thread