HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All Things Brad Richards Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2011, 03:04 PM
KapG

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
The 90 point Conn Smythe center ISN'T a game changer? There you have it!
Where was that center the last 3 years (he has had 3 full seasons there) in Dallas? Where did he lead them?

Wasn't the playoffs.

Anyways. I think we could acquire a better, younger C through trade.

Last edited by KapG: 06-24-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old
06-24-2011, 03:07 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by KapG View Post
Hopefully the Rags sign him.
They might, good side step though.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:08 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
They might, good side step though.
I'm not side stepping anywhere. I just don't want him to be signed and by him signing with the Rags that problem would be solved.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:08 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Quote:
Where was that center the last 4 years in Dallas? Where did he lead them?
Let me get this straight. This is hockey, NOT basketball. A player can't take entire team on his own back. however, 7-8 million is right price for B.Richards.

In the most important game of the season, where Stars could've made playoffs if they would've won, Richards showed up. In final score of Wilds 5 Stars 3, Richards had 1G, 1A.

Bottom line, he shows up in important games; and thats what Leafs need! Again, you need other components to work, but Richards is worth the money.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:09 PM
Darylman

Quote:
Where was that center the last 4 years in Dallas? Where did he lead them?
The Stars had Toskala level goaltending for like 3 years and very little by way of defense. Have you looked at their roster? They dont spend even close to the cap. Get real.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:10 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

Quote:
Where was that center the last 3 years (he has had 3 full seasons there) in Dallas? Where did he lead them?

Wasn't the playoffs.

if Richards can play goal and defence, that'll be great. I think it's pretty stupid to blame everything on just one player, we all love our scape goats here.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:11 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylman View Post
The Stars had Toskala level goaltending for like 3 years and very little by way of defense. Have you looked at their roster? They dont spend even close to the cap. Get real.
Well, the 3 full seasons he played in Dallas, his team really wasn't any worse than ours is now.

Why are we going to up and make the playoffs now all of a sudden and challenge for a cup with him?

We still have so many question marks surrounding this team. Goaltending being one. Who knows how well Reimer comes back and plays in his first full season as starter.

Save the cap space and use it later!

Old
06-24-2011, 03:12 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:

Wasn't the playoffs.

Classic HF. Where 31 is too old.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:13 PM
LeafsandSharksfan
Founder of NGA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CyNick View Post
Get some dudes with signs out there
Hot girls will work too

Old
06-24-2011, 03:14 PM
Newfie John
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTouchIcing View Post
Wasn't that long ago where 31 was the youngest one could be a UFA.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:15 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTouchIcing View Post
No need signing him to a long term contract. By the time we are ready to challenge for a cup he will be getting up there in age.

It's not always about how old they are RIGHT NOW, especially when a player will want a long term contract.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:16 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
I'm not side stepping anywhere. I just don't want him to be signed and by him signing with the Rags that problem would be solved.
You sure changed your tune about Richards being too old after I brought up Recchi tearing it up against Vancouver in the finals at 43 years young.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:16 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

My guess:

8+7+7+7+7+7+6+4 = 6.625 cap hit.

If he falters really bad at age 39, he's only a 2 year, 2M cap hit on a buy out. Richards gets the term he wants, we get the hit we like. Burke shouldn't get accused of cap circumvention. But he will because people are tools in general. And the media likes to talk bad about the leafs. Especially TOR media.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:18 PM
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
You sure changed your tune about Richards being too old after I brought up Recchi tearing it up against Vancouver in the finals at 43 years young.
How many 43 year olds play at that level.

gtfo Recchi is an exception.

Anyways. I still think 31 is too old to be offering up a contract that is probably going to be like 7+ years in length.

Old
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
No need signing him to a long term contract. By the time we are ready to challenge for a cup he will be getting up there in age.

It's not always about how old they are RIGHT NOW, especially when a player will want a long term contract.
I would respectfully disagree that he would be too old when we are 'ready' to compete.

Old
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:

None of your arguments hold any value, but this one is the worst.

If we sign Richards, we contend next year. It all depends on goaltending after that. We may learn that we have to tweek here and there, but we will contend.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Raging Bull

My guess is he would consider anyone willing to throw cash at his feet.

Most money = perfect fit.

Old
Darylman

Quote:
Well, the 3 full seasons he played in Dallas, his team really wasn't any worse than ours is now.

Why are we going to up and make the playoffs now all of a sudden and challenge for a cup with him?

We still have so many question marks surrounding this team. Goaltending being one. Who knows how well Reimer comes back and plays in his first full season as starter.

Save the cap space and use it later!
Yes it really was, it was much worse. Their top six was average and has been for some time. They don't have a complete top six, but they fared very well. Benn's ascent has helped in that regard, but he is still a project.

Now look at their bottom six. It has sucked for a long long time. Modano was their best player and he was a shadow of his former self. He was a leader, but could not play an effective checking line role nor did he put up a lot of points.

Their defense has been absolutely terrible. They have had one big point getter and little in the way of effective stay at home D-Men. They now have 2 good defensemen after trading away one of their premier forwards. Compare that with Phaneuf/Aulie/Schenn and you will be surprised.

Turco was an absolute seive for years. Hence why he bairly played in Chicago. He was Toskala-esque. As we well know, goalies can kill your team. Reimer just played for Team Canada in the World Championship, playing extremely well, and is currently training hard to live up to his "huge" raise. If you can't see why we're in a much better position than Dallas has been the past few years then I can't help you.

Old
KapG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgar Cayce View Post

If we sign Richards, we contend next year. It all depends on goaltending after that. We may learn that we have to tweek here and there, but we will contend.
what are we contending for? one of the final playoff spots?

We won't be a cup contender unless we get Vezina caliber goaltending from Reimer.

Old
ExplosiveLEAFman

Yeah, I'm sure he'd consider Toronto after the Brewer deal. Go to Minnesota, Brad. Burke should work out some deal for Laich, shouldn't be too expensive.

Old
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
My guess:

8+7+7+7+7+7+6+4 = 6.625 cap hit.

If he falters really bad at age 39, he's only a 2 year, 2M cap hit on a buy out. Richards gets the term he wants, we get the hit we like. Burke shouldn't get accused of cap circumvention. But he will because people are tools in general. And the media likes to talk bad about the leafs. Especially TOR media.
That's along lines of what I'd be doing as well. Maybe a bit more money up front.

Old
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
How many 43 year olds play at that level.

gtfo Recchi is an exception.

Anyways. I still think 31 is too old to be offering up a contract that is probably going to be like 7+ years in length.
Richards is a health and work out freak besides being an elite NHL center.

Old
06-24-2011, 03:21 PM
dimi78

Quote:
One player can have that kind of effect. I don't see B. Richards as being one of those guys though. I don't really think there are any in this years FA pool.
Unless that 1 player is a goalie from the other positions 1 player doesn't have that type of impact it's all media hyperbole. Teams with depth and a high quality TEAM GAME executed game in and game out win championships not the star power individual players may have.

Both Crosby 102 pts and Ovechkin 106pts in there rookie years were the games best players the impact it got there teams were Staal and Backstrom as lottery picks. Just an example of how 1 player doesn't have the impact that gets spewed around here.

Old
Hawaiinleaf

Think about this...if we sign Richards no assets are used in a trade for CENTRE...

So what can BB trade assets for as the next big need??? Power forward winger with size???

those 2 players make us a playoff team for sure next year

Old
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5

Quote:

Too many question marks to say next year but I agree that they aren't that far away, 2/3 years.

If thats not the case the re-tool was a failure and having Richards signed will be the least of their problems.

Closed Thread