HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cannon and Carter Appreciation Thread

Old
06-24-2011, 04:34 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
I will really miss both of them, especially Richie. I hope they kick ass with their new teams and at least we'll have our memories of the playoffs last season. God knows it may take years to get to the SCF again but at least we have our memories!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 04:37 PM
mirimon

It was six (well, five) great years. Seeing them come up as rookies, that run to the ECF the unbelievably strange playoffs last year. I had that game against Montreal saved on my computer and showed it to my dad and so he got a new favourite player in Mike Richards.

I will miss having them on the team, and I almost hope that Gagné signs for LA after they sort that Smyth business out so I can really root for them out west next year. At least to the WCF... I don't think I'd want to meet them in the Stanley Cup Final after all...

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:22 PM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Best of luck to both of them. I still can't believe Richie is gone...haven't been this bummed about a Flyer being traded since Brind'Amour. I really thought these two would win us a cup at some point.

46zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:24 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Nothing but good things to say. Wish them both well...except for games against us.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 05:43 PM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Just heard an interview with Richards on nhl network. It sounded like him and Carter well really wanting to win the Cup in Philly and they signed long term deals for cheap to stay here. Its disappointing that they couldn't buy into Lavy's system. One or the other had to go.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:40 PM
CSKA1974

Richards represents everything this game is about. I really enjoyed watching him here and I am still in complete denial abot his trade. I am slowly going through 5 stages of grief.

Good luck, Mike! I will sincerely cheer for you when you raise the Cup over your head regardless which team you will be playing on at that time. You are a Flyer for life in my book.

The Flyers did not lose me as a fan with these moves, but LA Kings just got another fan in me.

CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-24-2011, 10:56 PM
mdm815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
I still remember when I was little, I sat down with my Dad, and he showed me a tape of Clarke and was telling me all about him and all his memories of seeing him in person. I always thought one day I would sit down with my son, show him a tape of that shift and I would be able to say "That was Mike Richards, I still remember seeing him play."
This one got to me. I'm honestly a little lost for words. And CSKA, you summed it up perfectly too. I have never supported individual players (besides Gagne maybe), but i will ALWAYS root for Mike Richards. And the Kings were always one of my favorite teams not wearing orange and black, so I guess it kinda works out.

What I can't get over is the still shot of Richie celebrating in front of the sea of orange. It was just so right......

I guess I'll miss you too, Jeff.

mdm815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:21 AM
DirkStarlight

I'm really gonna miss them, they were drafted around the time I actually started learning all the business parts of hockey and whatnot. I was there in 2000 for the return of Lindros, and being 10 at the time, was heartbreaking to see my hero lying there after the hit. Also watched on vacation in 2003 the Primeau tying goal, and Gagne overtime winner. That's when I really learned everything about hockey, and paid attention to the drafts. I attended Phantoms games and watched Carter, Richards and crew win the Calder.

Richards was the man for the job in my eyes. Of course, I have no idea what transpires in the locker room, but what he brought to the table is everything you could want in a captain. After Knuble and Gagne left, he really didn't have anyone to play with, besides occasionally with Giroux. Yet he still always put up points, and one of the best PKers in the game. "The Shift" still gives me chills when I watch it.

Carter I felt was going to be gone, but not Richie. Both of them will be sorely missed, and I thank them for everything that they have done for this organization.

But looking towards the future: I have high hopes. I don't think they'll be as good next year as they were the past two. But if Bryz lives up to the hype, which I think he will, and Schenn and Couturier (gotta learn how to spell that xD) develop into the studs that people say they will, then we will be a very tough team to play against in 2 years.

Overall, I was shocked, hurt, and depressed yesterday, slept it off, and today, after the draft, have some optimism towards the future.

DirkStarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:13 AM
Terence Peterman

Gonna miss them both.

Carter was never going to be fully appreciated here, but he's a player that doesn't come around often. We won't truly miss him 'til we see how things are without him.

Richards gone is mind numbing. I always thought in the back of my head there'd be a day where I didn't quite grasp what he did on the ice until he was gone, and I never expected it to be this soon or in this fashion. That his last shift for us was diving to stop an empty netter in a game they were losing 4-1 says it all. We won't have that kind of heart for a long, long time.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Terence Peterman: 06-25-2011 at 02:26 AM.
Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:04 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplcrown View Post
Hey Flyer fans, just a Kings fan stopping by for a moment.

I am heartened to read of your love for Mike Richards.
We need someone like him badly.

But I nearly cried when I saw we traded Simmonds.
Wayne is a warrior-type himself, a heart and soul player.

He'll likely move up to around 20 Gs/50 pts this season.
He's got speed, defensive smarts and a high energy level.
He was great in our short PO run, when most
Kings struggled.

Schenn is where the gamble is for you guys, to be honest.

He won't be less than a solid 2-way NHL center, but he could end up rising to stardom and be similar to Mike Richards.
You'll know in 1-2 years what you've got with Schenn, but I tend to think he'll be pretty good. He's tough as nails too.
Did you know that Schenn had the most dominant performance
by a Canadian in the WJC since Dale McCourt in the 70s??

Then, he went back to CMJ (Saskatoon-A new team he'd been traded to) and got like 2-pts a game, leading all CMJ scorers for that stretch of games. Not too shabby.
If Schenn turns into a 90-point scorer, you'll hear the screams from the West Coast, for sure.
Most likely, Schenn will be something like Richards, very possibly just as good.

And you got a 2nd rounder too.

If Flyer's MGMT makes a good pick here, then you got the best of us, I'd say, unless Mike Richards is getting 75-80 pts/season, year after year, which may not happen.

In any case, you will like Wayne Simmonds, and Schenn will be at least very good, and maybe outstanding.
Add a solid 2nd-rounder and your Flyers will be kicking mucho butt in 2-3 years, if not sooner.

Meanwhile, our Kings have to be great NOW, and for the next several years.

Somebody on this BBS compared Mike Richards to the great
Bobby Clarke.
I know MR isn't that good.

But just to be an outstanding player in the Bobby Clarke mold, would be just what the doctor ordered for The Kings.

See you in the Finals in 2013 or 2014!!
Richards and Brown are going to cause a lot of problems for the opposition on a lot of nights. I dont know who Richards will play with but I am guessing it will be Brown. Seems like a great pairing to me. Ill be watching the Kings anyway as I keep tabs on the kids from Manchester, but this gives me more of a reason to keep tabs on them. You know what you are going to get with Richards. Hes going to bust his ass every night. You guys are going to love him. He will be missed greatly here. Some dont realize just how much hes going to be missed.
Good luck Ritchie.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Hughes

Carter started as my favorite Flyer when I was getting back into hockey, then Richards took over. I was sucked back into hockey due to his and the Flyers play. They both will be missed greatly, and I hope they now shine on their new teams. Only upside is I'm happy I didn't buy a Carter winter classic now. >.>

Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:28 PM
FlyerX

Now that it's all over, let's compare the eras . . . Flyers #1 centers and captains for at least part of it:

Richards-6 playoff series wins
Primeau-5 playoff series wins
Lindros-6 playoff series wins (not counting '00)
Poulin-8 playoff series wins

Not too shabby and in an expanded league with a cap.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
This thread is for people who want to reminisce about the good times and accomplishments achieved while Richards and Carter were here.

If you want to be negative, please take it to another thread, we have plenty.

06-25-2011, 04:12 PM
Flyerfan808

Thinking of Richards in purple makes me die a little bit. I will always remember our Cup run of 2010 and how he always gave everything he had on the ice. He will ring in my memory as one of the greatest Flyers of all time. I wish him only the best in LA.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Snipsnap12

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Awesome. Thanks a lot.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:08 PM
reverend duder

im still in shock...

i loved watching carter fly down the wing and fire off a twisted wrister. he was one of my favorites. altough i knew he would be traded, its still a little depressing.

as for for richie, i still cant fathom that he was traded too. he was the heart and soul.

both on the same day. thats a harsh toke.

luckily i live in LA now so i can still watch richards play. poor jeff is in columbus...

reverend duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:35 PM
phillyfanatic

My birthday was Saturday. My wife gave me a brand new, Orange, Mike Richards Jersey. C on the front, Richards 18 on the back, even has the tie-down. It was the best gift ever. 4 days later, the 3 year captain is traded with 9 years left on his deal.

I have thought about this, and I am still a Flyers fan, the passion burns too deep for me to switch teams or stop watching, but I am crushed. Just crushed.

Mike Richards and Jeff Carter gone? For picks and prospects? I still can't believe it. I don't know if I will ever forgive Homer and management, especially since they tried to trade Richards to ******* WINNIPEG and traded Carter to Columbus. The guys signed lifetime contracts and you do them like that. I can't believe it.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:57 PM
Philadelphia Flames

Once a Flyer, always a Flyer

Philadelphia Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:59 PM
Pyzik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Thinking of Richards in purple makes me die a little bit. I will always remember our Cup run of 2010 and how he always gave everything he had on the ice. He will ring in my memory as one of the greatest Flyers of all time. I wish him only the best in LA.
Richards in Purple reminds me of the Phantoms 05 Calder Cup

Pyzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:18 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I'll miss both of these guys, Richards especially. I knew Carter's days were numbered, and I got over that. However, the Richards trade threw a dagger in my heart. He will always be one of my favorite Flyers. I will continue to be a huge Richards fan. Good luck, to you both!

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:25 PM
Beastieboy

Thought that Richards and Carter were going to be mainstays like Clarke and Barber and finish their careers in Philly... with at least one Cup win. I had recently resigned myself to Carter being traded but the Richards trade floored me. He was the epitome of what the Flyers represent - heart, skill, toughness, desire. I hope he wins it all in LA (unless they are playing the Flyers in the finals). He now joins my all-time favourite Flyer - Ron Hextall - with the Kings organization. Good luck Richie!

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Beastieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Flames View Post

Once a Flyer, always a Flyer
Great clips - made me want to cry.

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:46 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

With that Canadiens game, everyone remembers the Shift. Richards was unbelievable that hole game...

Richards great one touch pass feeding Carter for the 2 goal lead:

Richards amazing effort to get puck in front of the net to Carter to finish off the series:

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:15 AM
sauce9397

Is anybody going to miss carter but not richards?

sauce9397 is offline   Reply With Quote