HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Rochester Americans 2011-2012 / Minor League Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-29-2011, 11:11 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
http://300level.net/?p=2403

Also, Nashville may be having a Chicago-esque RFA QO "situation"....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl-wp8233
Tons of interesting names that would bring a variety of different things to a club if they hit unrestricted free agency. Thanks for the link

Old
06-29-2011, 01:40 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I'm interested in hearing sabrefan27's take on all of this.
I was at the press conference. A little annoyed the Stanley Cup was mentioned 4 or 5 times but the Calder Cup wasn't mentioned once. They did say they want to win championships at both levels, but this was an Amerks press conference.

Love the $10 season tickets. My seat just went from $610 to $380.

Very disappointed to hear that Black wants a Sabres logo on the Amerks jersey. It's been talked about here before, but that's just a huge letdown for me. That's one thing that makes the Amerks sort of unique, they have never had a parent team logo on there jersey, ever. They have always kept their own identity and it needs to stay that way. I know myself and many others will be hitting the suggestion box hard with that and I'm pretty sure someone is starting a petition.

But overall I'm happy with everything.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:50 PM
mechaphil

Send a message via AIM to mechaphil
Ted Black said he'll listen to fan input. They're opening up an Amerks suggestion box. Fans WILL say they don't want one on the jersey.

I really don't think there will be one.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:52 PM
ohheyimmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
I was at the press conference. A little annoyed the Stanley Cup was mentioned 4 or 5 times but the Calder Cup wasn't mentioned once. They did say they want to win championships at both levels, but this was an Amerks press conference.

Love the $10 season tickets. My seat just went from $610 to $380.

Very disappointed to hear that Black wants a Sabres logo on the Amerks jersey. It's been talked about here before, but that's just a huge letdown for me. That's one thing that makes the Amerks sort of unique, they have never had a parent team logo on there jersey, ever. They have always kept their own identity and it needs to stay that way. I know myself and many others will be hitting the suggestion box hard with that and I'm pretty sure someone is starting a petition.

But overall I'm happy with everything.
I think someone proved this untrue a few pages back, no?

Old
06-29-2011, 01:55 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
No that was a logo on the ice, which did happen for a short period of time. The jersey, I'm positive has never had a logo on it unless someone could provide picture evidence to the contrary.

If they want a Sabres logo on the Amerks jersey, how about an Amerks logo on the Sabres jersey. Seems fair.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:59 PM
mechaphil

As a Sabres fan, I want the big club to respect the parent club's traditions. My preference is no patch on jersey, no logo on ice, advertising on boards, Sabres signage around BCA, Sabres gear in Amerks store, Amerks signage at HSBC, Amerks gear in Sabres Store.

Old
06-29-2011, 01:59 PM
joshjull

Quote:
No that was a logo on the ice, which did happen for a short period of time. The jersey, I'm positive has never had a logo on it unless someone could provide picture evidence to the contrary.

If they want a Sabres logo on the Amerks jersey, how about an Amerks logo on the Sabres jersey. Seems fair.
Not really.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:07 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

When the Amerks become the Sabres parent team, sure.

06-29-2011, 02:09 PM
sabrefan27

I don't see it that way, I guess. Why mess with the Amerks tradition and uniform? The point is Sabres fans wouldn't like it, nor would Amerks fans. The jersey is fine the way it is.

Ultimately it's not that big of a deal, but it just won't be popular and there's no reason to storm in and do something like that. Get some goodwill going here.

But I guess if there's a patch on the jersey but the Sabres sign Alex Giroux on July 1, I wouldn't even worry about the patch.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:13 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
I don't see it that way, I guess. Why mess with the Amerks tradition and uniform? The point is Sabres fans wouldn't like it, nor would Amerks fans. The jersey is fine the way it is.

Ultimately it's not that big of a deal, but it just won't be popular and there's no reason to storm in and do something like that. Get some goodwill going here.

But I guess if there's a patch on the jersey but the Sabres sign Alex Giroux on July 1, I wouldn't even worry about the patch.
Agreed, ultimately, that leaving the jersey alone is the better path. That said, the good will should be building already in that they've slashed ticket prices to a bare minimum. If they can pluck a choice AHL UFA center to plug the hole down on the farm, great. I would expect it.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:17 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Agreed, ultimately, that leaving the jersey alone is the better path. That said, the good will should be building already in that they've slashed ticket prices to a bare minimum. If they can pluck a choice AHL UFA center to plug the hole down on the farm, great. I would expect it.
Considering the recent 5% increase to my Sabres season tix. I'm amazed at the nitpicking about goodwill when they are getting a massive discount on Amerks tix.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:19 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Considering the recent 5% increase to my Sabres season tix. I'm amazed at the nitpicking about goodwill when they are getting a massive discount on Amerks tix.
It may be nitpicking to you, but not to others.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:30 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
I think the point of having a patch on the jersey is a way of reminding the younger talent down there what they are really working for in the end...a spot on the Sabres and in the NHL.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:34 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar2866 View Post
It went further than a patch. The Amerks actually incorporated the old Canucks' hockey stick into their 71-72 logo.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:43 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
It went further than a patch. The Amerks actually incorporated the old Canucks' hockey stick into their 71-72 logo.

They were owned by the Canucks. And that is considered the darkest period in Amerks history. Ask any fan of the Amerks of that time, they hated it. My dad has been going since the 60's, he despised that jersey as did all other fans. When the Amerks regained ownership they quickly got rid of it.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:44 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining Defeat View Post
I think the point of having a patch on the jersey is a way of reminding the younger talent down there what they are really working for in the end...a spot on the Sabres and in the NHL.
You honestly think these pro athletes need a reminder on their jersey that they're competing for a Sabres position?

Again, it's simply about respecting a teams tradition. That's all.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
I was hoping for the same thing
Me too. I believe the MSG contract has many years left though? That would be a bit too much to buy out of, likely. It seems like something that would be in the cards down the line, though. In fact, it's hard to imagine it not being in the cards.

I wonder what the books for Empire were like, in terms of whether it turned a profit on its own or not. If there is capacity for profit from the network itself then that is a no-brainer opportunity, considering how it would also be very beneficial for the Sabres franchise.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:53 PM
joshjull

The Amerks have also had sponsership patches from corporations in various years on their jerseys.

Like ESL

Or a Toyota patch

So if I understand this correctly. Amerks tradition is ok with corporate patchs but not one from the parent club and in this case the owner of the team.

The best part of that last picture is they also have what looks like an Amerks patch on their jersey opposite the Toyota one. Why?

Last edited by joshjull: 06-29-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old
06-29-2011, 02:55 PM
ClearedButNotOut
Fixity

vCash: 213
Quote:
You honestly think these pro athletes need a reminder on their jersey that they're competing for a Sabres position?

Again, it's simply about respecting a teams tradition. That's all.
Well there's a reason Drury had a fit when he came here and noticed there was no picture of the Stanley Cup in the lockeroom area.

There's something to be said for visual reminders of a goal that one is striving for...

The truth is, no matter how rich the history of the Amerks is, they are still going to play second fiddle to the Sabres and Sabre interests.

Old
06-29-2011, 02:55 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagining Defeat View Post
I doubt any guy needs to be reminded of that. It's his dream.

I don't like the patch idea. In a vacuum I'd be indifferent I suppose but considering Amerks tradition and Amerks fan wishes, I think it is bad policy and bad form to go against either for something that, to the Sabres, is extremely trivial.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:08 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I doubt any guy needs to be reminded of that. It's his dream.

I don't like the patch idea. In a vacuum I'd be indifferent I suppose but considering Amerks tradition and Amerks fan wishes, I think it is bad policy and bad form to go against either for something that, to the Sabres, is extremely trivial.
Exactly. It may not be a big deal to anyone here, but to Amerks fans the jersey is and people don't want a Sabres logo on it.

And joshjull, that other logo was in memorial of Craig Charron, who died.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:18 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
The Amerks have also had sponsership patches from corporations in various years on their jerseys.

Like ESL

So if I understand this correctly. Amerks tradition is ok with corporate patchs but not one from the parent club and in this case the owner of the team.

The best part of that last picture is they also have what looks like an Amerks patch on their jersey opposite the Toyota one. Why?

Exactly. If they can put up with a credit union patch, they can put up with a Sabres patch.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:21 PM
sabrefan27

I don't want to make a big deal of this anymore. I will just simply state, as an Amerks fans, I would prefer it if the Sabres respected the Amerks past history and tradition and let the jerseys be.

It's a big deal to Amerks fans, but couldn't possibly be less significant to the Sabres and their fans. So I think it makes sense to keep the jersey as is. That's my opinion.

Old
06-29-2011, 03:45 PM
mechaphil

I think it's a big deal and I'm definitely a Sabres fan first.

Also, are corporate sponsor patches mandated by the AHL?

Old
06-29-2011, 03:49 PM
joshjull

Quote:
I don't want to make a big deal of this anymore. I will just simply state, as an Amerks fans, I would prefer it if the Sabres respected the Amerks past history and tradition and let the jerseys be.

It's a big deal to Amerks fans, but couldn't possibly be less significant to the Sabres and their fans. So I think it makes sense to keep the jersey as is. That's my opinion.

Fair enough and we'll leave it at that.

Now on to roster wants.

What AHL vet centers do you think we should target?

Closed Thread