HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

1st Round - Pick #8 - Sean Couturier, C, Drummondville (QMJHL)

Old
04-02-2012, 08:44 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMan View Post
I'm pretty sure Malkin's favorite player isn't Couturier. If the Flyers manage to take out the Penguins in the first round, a big part of it will be because Couturier will have minimized Malkin's offense.

I hope that series happens, that will be some outstanding hockey.
Pens have to win out and NYR have to lose out to avoid the Flyers so I think it is safe to say that won't happen. Gonna be an awesome 8 game series!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:54 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

vCash: 500
Everyone says the knock on cooters is his skating he can do some off season stuff to improve his skating along with weight training to add some muscle and pounds to his frame.

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I don't think people understand just how good Couturier really is. Once he starts playing in an offensive role, he's going to be so difficult to play against. He's so good defensively that people just how excellent his offensive skills are. He's going to be scary good - so good that he might just end up getting Giroux moved back to the wing. That should speak in volumes about Couturier's upside. He needs to add a few more pounds, but damn, this guy is really, really, really good.
I think people don't understand because they just look at point totals and fail to take into account their situations. Couturier's points aren't anything special, but he is actually an above average offensive performer when you consider he is given the toughest minutes out of the rookies and has the 4th best points per 60. His points per 60 is even better than Hall and Seguin in their rookie seasons. I hope he is given PP time next season to develop his offensive game. That's the only downside to a deep offense. It's hard to find a big enough offensive role for our youth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Just an FYI, Couturier's top linemates in order are Talbot, Rinaldo, and Read.
His top opponents are Malkin, Tavares, and Neal in that order.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Posted this on the main board:

Checked the full play by play reports for the 5 Flyers vs Pens games this year and saw that Malkin only has 2 ES pts (both assists, no goal) when Couturier is on the ice.

Most interesting part is that according to behindthenet.ca, Malkin is Couturier's most seen opponent (most ice-time against a player is Malkin).

TL;DR

Couturier's most frequent opponent this year is Malkin, and he has held him to 2 ES pts (both assists) in 5 games this year.

Roo Mad Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Double post.

Old
04-02-2012, 09:47 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Posted this on the main board:

Checked the full play by play reports for the 5 Flyers vs Pens games this year and saw that Malkin only has 2 ES pts (both assists, no goal) when Couturier is on the ice.

Most interesting part is that according to behindthenet.ca, Malkin is Couturier's most seen opponent (most ice-time against a player is Malkin).

TL;DR

Couturier's most frequent opponent this year is Malkin, and he has held him to 2 ES pts (both assists) in 5 games this year.
Well not surprising since Couturier is our best defensive player on the team...hands down...as a 19 yr old.

Honestly, even if by some chance he develops no offensive game, he would still be a solid shutdown 3rd liner... thats what he is now which is scary.

I think if I reallyyy had to break his game down, he isnt the fastest player in the world. Dont know if it's his skating or speed, but he can look slow at times. Obviously not as bad as some said during his draft year, but I wouldnt call him "fast" either.

EDIT: And btw this isnt me hating, he's my 2nd favorite player on the team.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:59 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well not surprising since Couturier is our best defensive player on the team...hands down...as a 19 yr old.

Honestly, even if by some chance he develops no offensive game, he would still be a solid shutdown 3rd liner... thats what he is now which is scary.

I think if I reallyyy had to break his game down, he isnt the fastest player in the world. Dont know if it's his skating or speed, but he can look slow at times. Obviously not as bad as some said during his draft year, but I wouldnt call him "fast" either.

Oh, Couturier won't ever be a burner. However, his skating isn't bad. What he lacks in speed he makes up for in positioning. He's always in the right place at the right time. I'm so looking forward to when the playoffs roll around. I think Couturier is really going to come up big then.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:08 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

He looked fast enough on that goal against Ottawa on Saturday.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:46 AM
CantSeeColors

His potential is all well and good, but plenty of guys have failed to produce more when given more ice time or better linemates. This discussion started because someone wanted to rub the pick in the faces of the people that passed on Couturier based on what he's done this year. What he's been this year is Sami Pahlsson or John Madden. Fine players that excel in their role, but if the most respected Flyers writer on the intertubes has said Couturier is a bust if he doesn't score more than Brind'Amour or Staal, who am I to argue? Thus far he hasn't even come close to scoring like those guys.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
His potential is all well and good, but plenty of guys have failed to produce more when given more ice time or better linemates. This discussion started because someone wanted to rub the pick in the faces of the people that passed on Couturier based on what he's done this year. What he's been this year is Sami Pahlsson or John Madden. Fine players that excel in their role, but if the most respected Flyers writer on the intertubes has said Couturier is a bust if he doesn't score more than Brind'Amour or Staal, who am I to argue? Thus far he hasn't even come close to scoring like those guys.
Couturier is already playing some of the toughest minutes on the team. I don't think he'll have any issue with more minutes and better line mates. He's been averaging 18 minutes a game during the last 6 games and has 3 points in those games. It's a small sample, but he should produce more if he keeps getting more of an opportunity.

I know someone has been making ridiculous statements in this thread, but I think people are downplaying Couturier when responding to that person.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:47 PM
Amateur Hour

I'm not sure people fully grasp just how good -- and how important -- Couturier is going to be. Three or four years from now, if not sooner, he will be putting up 70+ points while playing Selke-quality defense against the opposition's top line every night (watching him battle with Malkin is awesome, and I can't wait to see that rivalry evolve). Couturier is a special, rare breed of player and an invaluable commodity; we are extraordinarily blessed that he wears a Flyers jersey. He and Giroux are the franchise cornerstones for the next ten years, and that's a beautiful thing.

That Jeff Carter trade is going to end up being one of the best things that ever happens to this franchise.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:59 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
That Jeff Carter trade is going to end up being one of the best things that ever happens to this franchise.
I would say so.....perfect example of selling high. Carter was always overrated on this team in my book and was a luxury of sorts (except come playoffs) hence why I always argued in favor of leveraging him exactly in the manner in which he was leveraged (for more depth and chemisty)..although I didn't think it would be pulled off so beautifully.

Some say it was luck that Couturier dropped as far as he did but success is always mixed with luck and timing. You make your own luck and Holmgren and Snider were smart in assessing things holistically although it took longer than I liked. I feel they have vindicated themselves of many other transgressions they committed (except Shelley). They finally thought out of the box.

It was similar to the Stevens situation. I was against resigning him and knew he wouldn't last and sure enough Mr Romper Room was sent packing and his toys followed him....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:03 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Oh, Couturier won't ever be a burner. However, his skating isn't bad. What he lacks in speed he makes up for in positioning. He's always in the right place at the right time. I'm so looking forward to when the playoffs roll around. I think Couturier is really going to come up big then.
Like Jagr described Couts..."He's slick." Guy has hockey smarts that are off the charts. He's got innate hockey sense you can rarely teach. Just a gifted player. I've never really recalled such a smooth rookie on the Flyers with respect to positioning and hockey sense.

Old
04-03-2012, 03:05 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Imagie Couturier with Wellwoods speed

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:05 PM

vCash: 50
I actually laughed the other day thinking about how much we got for Jeff f**king Carter. Couturier AND Voracek. That's ridiculous.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
I still haven't actually seen Wellwood. I know that he's that orange and white blur on the ice, but that's it.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:16 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
While it would be cool I think Couturier would be a different player positionally...but maybe not. I'm content with Couturier's skillset but there is always room to improve and that he will. Kind of scary what his ceiling might be....

Old
04-03-2012, 03:17 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
I actually laughed the other day thinking about how much we got for Jeff f**king Carter. Couturier AND Voracek. That's ridiculous.
Cousins not far behind it seems....

Old
04-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
While it would be cool I think Couturier would be a different player positionally...but maybe not. I'm content with Couturier's skillset but there is always room to improve and that he will. Kind of scary what his ceiling might be....
John Tavaras was always knocked on for his skating. If Couts improves like he did there will be no stopping him. The kid has talent and if he gets just a little bit faster, he will be dominate.

He reminded me of a player the other day and I still can't remember who the hell it was! (And it wasn't the Stall boys)

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
John Tavaras was always knocked on for his skating. If Couts improves like he did there will be no stopping him. The kid has talent and if he gets just a little bit faster, he will be dominate.

He reminded me of a player the other day and I still can't remember who the hell it was! (And it wasn't the Stall boys)
Patrice Bergeron?

Old
04-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Patrice Bergeron?
No that was a good guess though. Haven't really compared them but it's not bad at all. I believe it was an older player. I want to say he doesn't even play anymore.

It's frustrating beyond belief! It's right there but I just can't freaking get it.

Old
04-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Damaged Goods

Joe Nieuwendyk?

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Prongo
Beer

Damn it will come to me! When I remember I will post it (if I remember )

Both pretty good guesses though

Old
04-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Damn it will come to me! When I remember I will post it (if I remember )

Both pretty good guesses though
I'll give it a shot: Jean Beliveau. Pretty sure I saw/read/heard someone make that comparison recently.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:54 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
You mean a healthy JVR?

Yeah. Well, he's not as defensively astute as Couturier or quite as fast as Wellwood, but you get the idea.

JVR is fast, big, AND extremely skilled. That's why everyone was so excited about him.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote