HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

1st Round - Pick #8 - Sean Couturier, C, Drummondville (QMJHL)

Old
06-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Max Levine

vCash: 500
Habs fan here but mostly, a hockey fan. And I love what the Flyers have been doing the past few days. Fought with co-workers over the Richards trade. I believe you guys got the best of it. But...

I kept saying the Flyers have it all figured out. With Pronger, Timmonen and O'Donnell not getting any younger, their first pick will be either Hamilton or Murphy to go along with Gustaffson and suddenly, this team will be pretty much flawless. Strong at every position.

When I saw Ottawa pick Scheifele, I smelled trouble. Of course, Couturier is a steal. But now, you guys are gonna have to work on finding and developing young defensemen. I'm not so sure this is the best case scenario.

On the other hand, Giroux, JVR, Leino, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, Gustaffson, Bryzgalov will be a hell of a team.

Good luck!

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:00 AM
Jester

Team can't develop D anyway. Not to mention, we will probably trade Couterier away. We don't like keeping our 1st rd picks.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:02 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
Habs fan here but mostly, a hockey fan. And I love what the Flyers have been doing the past few days. Fought with co-workers over the Richards trade. I believe you guys got the best of it. But...

I kept saying the Flyers have it all figured out. With Pronger, Timmonen and O'Donnell not getting any younger, their first pick will be either Hamilton or Murphy to go along with Gustaffson and suddenly, this team will be pretty much flawless. Strong at every position.

When I saw Ottawa pick Scheifele, I smelled trouble. Of course, Couturier is a steal. But now, you guys are gonna have to work on finding and developing young defensemen. I'm not so sure this is the best case scenario.

On the other hand, Giroux, JVR, Leino, Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, Couturier, Gustaffson, Bryzgalov will be a hell of a team.

Good luck!
I've said it before and I'll say it again: You HAVE to take the BPA in the draft.

If you draft by need, you'll run into trouble. Last year, would you have thought we need to work on our center depth? No, we had Richards, Carter, Giroux, and Briere. You never know what can happen in 1 year let alone two or three.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:04 AM
i am dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." - Comedian Greg Proops quoting George Bush
"Les papillons d'amour sur la jupe de ma blonde." - McLean and McLean
I'm not trying to begin any kind of debate at all, but I've seen this quote a few times (namely in the ridiculously false chain emails my mother just instinctively forwards to everyone in her address book).

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/bush.asp

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:05 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
The one thing, I'm still against the trades, but Couturier seems like he could become a heck of a player.

I keep reading the Staal comparisons and people keep saying, "well, Staal isn't a star player." Well, maybe not in the conventional sense, but Staal is a monster. His 09-10 really was an amazing season, especially considering his linemates (Cooke, Kunitz, Guerin, Rupp, Kennedy) and he had a nice 10-11 as well after coming back from the injury.

I mean, if this guy turns into Jordan Staal, it's not a franchise center, but I think Staal will be seen as a No.1 C in his own right if he can break through and put up 60-70 points a year because of all the other stuff he does. I do love Richards, but I'd take Staal ahead of him.

So hopefully, this guy turns into that, obviously there's a long road between here and there.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:05 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Eh the thing is, when Timonen retires, we will have 6.5 mil (or so) to sign a defender in FA. Ya, would be nice to draft our own, but Im not to worried about it.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Eh the thing is, when Timonen retires, we will have 6.5 mil (or so) to sign a defender in FA. Ya, would be nice to draft our own, but Im not to worried about it.
Better hope there is a franchise D available to sign.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:09 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I think the D is somewhat fixable. You don't necessarily need a "franchise D" to win (although it helps a hell of a lot). You need guys who can anchor their own pairings. Carle and Coburn can't do that and I have my doubts on Mes.

Carle, Coburn, Mes are making more than 10 mill, closer to 11. You shed at least 2 of them and go out and get a couple of guys who can actually anchor a pairing. In a strange way, Jan Hejda is an upgrade on those guys because you can pair him with anyone and he'll do fine.

Of course, I have absolutely no faith that Homer will realize this and fix the situation.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:09 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Yearly there seems to be one. But we could get unlucky.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Jester

Quote:
Yearly there seems to be one. But we could get unlucky.
Who this year? Who last year?

I like Martin, but he isn't a no. 1.

Teams have been locking those guys down in their prime.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I think the D is somewhat fixable. You don't necessarily need a "franchise D" to win (although it helps a hell of a lot). You need guys who can anchor their own pairings. Carle and Coburn can't do that and I have my doubts on Mes.

Carle, Coburn, Mes are making more than 10 mill, closer to 11. You shed at least 2 of them and go out and get a couple of guys who can actually anchor a pairing. In a strange way, Jan Hejda is an upgrade on those guys because you can pair him with anyone and he'll do fine.

Of course, I have absolutely no faith that Homer will realize this and fix the situation.
The problem is that Timonen is the only guy we have that is really a PPQB. Pronger can do it, but we are better off with him as the shooter.

Lose Timonen and dont replace that role and we are immediately a lot worse. And that is without getting into everything else he does well.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Couturier falling to 8th really softens the blow of the trades in my opinion.
Carter and Richards for Couturier, Voracek, Schenn, Simmonds, 2nd, and 3rd is a hell of a return, though I'm still a little put out that the Flyers have sharply narrowed their window of opportunity.

Couldn't have gone wrong with Couturier or Hamilton, both are going to be absolute beasts. In terms of needs Hamilton may have made more sense for the Flyers but IMO Couturier has the potential to be a dominant player.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:16 AM
mirimon

Quote:

Pitk....

Bieksa is the closest this year I think. Though, just one year ago it seemed that at least 75% of the Vancouver fan base wanted him gone.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihiliste View Post
Couturier falling to 8th really softens the blow of the trades in my opinion.
Carter and Richards for Couturier, Voracek, Schenn, Simmonds, 2nd, and 3rd is a hell of a return, though I'm still a little put out that the Flyers have sharply narrowed their window of opportunity.
The window of opportunity is closed. It is now a question of whether a new one opens. Almost never do teams do these types of overhauls and really compete for championships the next year.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Quote:
The window of opportunity is closed. It is now a question of whether a new one opens. Almost never do teams do these types of overhauls and really compete for championships the next year.
Yeah for the immediate future it's closed. If there's a window still, it'll be an overlap between the period where Schenn and Couturier step up and Pronger is still playing a high level. If Schenn and Couturier are ready to make a big impact in say 2 years, there could be a chance there.

After that there's a great forward core built for the future, the issue is going to be finding younger impact dman after Pronger and Timonen are gone

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:20 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

I disagree. I like Martin. There are no "franchise" d-men out there, but some solid ones that can play in the top 4. Kaberle is one, Bieksa is another. Keith Yandle is a pretty solid top 4 defender. There obviously, arent Timonen type players out there, but what goes to say that even Hamilton will be a solid player?

Old
06-25-2011, 10:20 AM
ELab2

In a couple of years when we need a young dman we can trade a developed Voracek, Couturier, JVR, Giroux, Schenn, Simmonds, etc. for one if we have to. Without an immediate need and with no sure thing on the board you go BPA and Holmgren will have no problem adjusting later.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
I disagree. I like Martin. There are no "franchise" d-men out there, but some solid ones that can play in the top 4. Kaberle is one, Bieksa is another. Keith Yandle is a pretty solid top 4 defender. There obviously, arent Timonen type players out there, but what goes to say that even Hamilton will be a solid player?
Not saying he will be, just that this is the problem we are going to face when Timonen retires and the rest of our D gets to show off how good he is.

Bieksa has gone from garbage to hero... That should cause some hesitation.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:29 AM
Terence Peterman

Ryan Suter, anyone?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:

I guess we know how Couturier will be traded now.

06-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Doyle

Conference Call Transcript with Flyers’ Draft Pick Sean Couturier
http://nhlhotstove.com/conference-ca...ean-couturier/

With 8th Pick in 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Flyers take Couturier
http://nhlhotstove.com/with-8th-pick...ake-couturier/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:35 AM
FlyHigh

Quote:
The problem is that Timonen is the only guy we have that is really a PPQB. Pronger can do it, but we are better off with him as the shooter.

Lose Timonen and dont replace that role and we are immediately a lot worse. And that is without getting into everything else he does well.
PPQB is somewhat fixable. Gustafsson seems to have some PP pedigree, Pronger is okay. Heck, if you need someone to just tee up Pronger, why not use Giroux? Giroux is not too effective on the side (no shot). Also, Briere has been marginalized on the PP a bit, but had 37 PPP his first year here and several 30 point seasons in Buffalo, perhaps give him the puck a little more.

I'd be much more worried about the "everything else."

Old
06-25-2011, 10:38 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I was expecting that we pick Hamilton under the impression that Couturier wouldn't drop down to 8. Holy crap, I really like this pick. This pick has huge potential to be a gigantic steal.

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:58 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Good to see you are reading statements that don't exist there.
Yeah, you cited your predictions and I told you they were good ones.

Don't understand what doesn't exist.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:11 AM
SilkyMitts

not sure if anyone answered. but do any of you canadians/CHL followers know where I can get a Schenn and/or Courturier junior jersey? please PM if possible.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote