HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 1st round (#6 overall) - C Mika Zibanejad

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2011, 11:28 PM
agent2421

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exoma View Post
From a Leafs fan, I'd like to congratulate the Ottawa Senators on drafting such an AMAZING talent.

Nice to see fellow Iranians get drafted into the NHL!

Your my fav leafs fan ever! ... Great thread and title

Old
06-24-2011, 11:30 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

So was this in Iranian or something

Old
06-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Countdown0
Painfully Honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean9 View Post
So was this in Iranian or something
OMG A MONKEY!!!

You get a cookie! (:

Old
06-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Super Six
The Future has CLASS

http://dansallows.com/interview-mika-zibanejad/

He has a superstition so he always put his right stuff on first and then his left stuff good interview.

Old
06-24-2011, 11:45 PM
Blackjack

Congrats from this Devils fan on making a gutsy, and good, pick. I almost wanted NJ to take Zib at 4. He will will be as good as anyone in the draft, he was just a little underhyped.

Old
06-25-2011, 12:01 AM
lafite

Was it just my imagination, or did Big Bob unequivocally announce this choice before Murray even made it to the podium? He might not be a hockey god, but he is at least a hockey Buddha.

I have no idea how good this guy is, but the Sens have a pretty good track record out of Sweden, so I'll stop sulking about Couturier and look forward to seeing this kid.

Old
06-25-2011, 12:11 AM
DrEasy
Waiting for Methot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
Well, we'll have some more Swedish fans.
Not to mention some Iranian and Finnish fans!

Old
06-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Hutz
Classless User

I said before whoever we pick first will be my favourite from this draft, so to confirm, Mika Zibanejad is my favourite. I haven't seen a lot of any of these guys, but I like his character, seems like a good guy. I like that he's studying French, too.

Welcome to Ottawa, Mika, we're happy to have you!

I'm starting to get the feeling that I might be cheering for Sweden over Canada in the 2016 olympics. With a little luck, half that team could be Sens.

Old
06-25-2011, 12:34 AM
biturbo19

Can't say i was at all happy with this pick, with Couturier still on the board. If Couturier had been gone, that might've been another thing...but ugh.

Basically, Sens spend years bemoaning 2nd line C (Fisher) with all kinds of speed, grit, two-way game, character, physicality, etc., due to a lack of 'offensive upside' and 'creativity' ... and then use their shiny new cornerstone pick to draft...a 2nd line C with all kinds of speed, grit, two-way game, character, physicality, etc., with a potential lack of 'offensive upside' and 'creativity'.

Just really bummed that they passed on Couturier at 6. Nothing against Zibanejad, who will probably be a mighty fine player in his own right and a key part of the Sens moving forward. But i just don't like it...Feels too much like a treadmill to me.

Old
06-25-2011, 12:35 AM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

8 points in 6 games in the SEL playoffs. DAAAYUM, never noticed that.

Makes me wish I watched Djurgården vs Luleå.

Old
06-25-2011, 12:38 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Can't say i was at all happy with this pick, with Couturier still on the board. If Couturier had been gone, that might've been another thing...but ugh.

Basically, Sens spend years bemoaning 2nd line C (Fisher) with all kinds of speed, grit, two-way game, character, physicality, etc., due to a lack of 'offensive upside' and 'creativity' ... and then use their shiny new cornerstone pick to draft...a 2nd line C with all kinds of speed, grit, two-way game, character, physicality, etc., with a potential lack of 'offensive upside' and 'creativity'.

Just really bummed that they passed on Couturier at 6. Nothing against Zibanejad, who will probably be a mighty fine player in his own right and a key part of the Sens moving forward. But i just don't like it...Feels too much like a treadmill to me.
7 other teams passed on Couturier, including the Jets immediately after us, that really says something about him. Something about this kid must have raised a red flag, otherwise how does he fall from being ranked 1st overall to 8th?

Old
06-25-2011, 12:38 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Zibby plays guitar.

Thanks to whoever shared that the first time.

Old
06-25-2011, 12:40 AM
4thliner*

Mika is a lot more exciting player than Couts, not to mention faster. I think he is better quick strike offensive player. Now I don;t know much about his offensive IQ which can tell you about a players offensive upside but his explosiveness is nothing like Bobby Holik type of player as Button likes to say for some reason.

Yeah he hits and roughs guys up but Z had a point when he says he plays like Ovechkin. God knows I will take even a poor mans Ovenchin.

Poormans Ovechkin @ center? = the best player in this draft

Last edited by 4thliner*: 06-25-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old
06-25-2011, 12:42 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post

No.

8 points in the U18. 5 points in 2 games in the U18 swedish playoffs. 2 points in 7 games in the SEL playoffs

Old
06-25-2011, 12:43 AM
Ouroboros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post

He had 2 points in 7 games in the SEL playoffs.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:01 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
7 other teams passed on Couturier, including the Jets immediately after us, that really says something about him. Something about this kid must have raised a red flag, otherwise how does he fall from being ranked 1st overall to 8th?
THIS.

I never got a good feeling from listening to interviews and watching Couturier play. I was actually afraid we were going to pick him. Dare I say it, he comes off as really stupid in his interviews.

I'm happy with the Zibanejad pick. I'll put my trust in Murray until he makes a bad pick. Thus far, picking guys in the first round like Karlsson, Cowan and Runblad, along with guys like Hoffman, Lehner and Silverberg in the later rounds, aren't going to make me question his decisions.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:11 AM
Afro Thunder*

The Murray interview on team 1200 is saying that he could play for the team next season, it just depends on the contract.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:11 AM
SensFan2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiv1 View Post
Yeah I'm happy we passed on Couturier after all. He doesn't seem to have drive or compete level to reach his potential, and strikes me as kinda lazy. I'm sure he will be decent NHL player someday but I don't like his personality at all. On the other hand, I'm not biggest fan of Zibanejad either but I'm pretty sure our scouting staff made the right choice to pick him over Couturier.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:12 AM
karlskiller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaKqw...layer_embedded

for those who haven't seen his highlight reel goal against Adam Larsson
i was really impressed with the way he took that bouncing pass in his skates then to his stick then avoiding Larsson. that was some elite level skill.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:29 AM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
Ottawa got the best forward available. I am puemped!
fixed.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:30 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan2010 View Post
Yeah I'm happy we passed on Couturier after all. He doesn't seem to have drive or compete level to reach his potential, and strikes me as kinda lazy. I'm sure he will be decent NHL player someday but I don't like his personality at all. On the other hand, I'm not biggest fan of Zibanejad either but I'm pretty sure our scouting staff made the right choice to pick him over Couturier.
Not only that but our new assistant coach was his head coach not too long ago. I'm sure Cameron had something to say on Couturier.

I knew something was up with this kid when the Jets (I got a shiver writing that) passed on him too.

My guess is Philly hasn't done enough homework on the kid since they JUST got the 8th overall pick in the draft.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:33 AM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Not only that but our new assistant coach was his head coach not too long ago. I'm sure Cameron had something to say on Couturier.

I knew something was up with this kid when the Jets (I got a shiver writing that) passed on him too.

My guess is Philly hasn't done enough homework on the kid since they JUST got the 8th overall pick in the draft.
Mother****ing this.

When Holmgren was interviewed about Couts, he waas barely able to put two words together about the kid. They just took him as a safe pick.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:40 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
Mother****ing this.

When Holmgren was interviewed about Couts, he waas barely able to put two words together about the kid. They just took him as a safe pick.
There is NO way the Flyers had a chance to interview Couturier prior to the draft. They may have had him on their draft board based on scouting reports but they probably went into draft preparation with the mindset that they would be picking in the second round (since they moved their pick for Versteeg).

Along comes the gift of an 8th overall pick, the NIGHT before the draft, and they're scrambling to pick someone. The safe pick of Couturier (who was passed by 7 teams) comes to them and they decide: "screw it, he's the top guy we have on the board."

Like I said, as soon as Winnipeg passed on him, it just felt like it confirmed my belief he was damaged goods.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:51 AM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

(Nothing to do with is play) But he seems like a SUPER Nice guy!

Old
06-25-2011, 01:58 AM
Laszlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
There is NO way the Flyers had a chance to interview Couturier prior to the draft. They may have had him on their draft board based on scouting reports but they probably went into draft preparation with the mindset that they would be picking in the second round (since they moved their pick for Versteeg).

Along comes the gift of an 8th overall pick, the NIGHT before the draft, and they're scrambling to pick someone. The safe pick of Couturier (who was passed by 7 teams) comes to them and they decide: "screw it, he's the top guy we have on the board."

Like I said, as soon as Winnipeg passed on him, it just felt like it confirmed my belief he was damaged goods.
Why would they have no chance to interview him? Ottawa interviewed Nugent Hopkins even though they knew he wouldn't fall to them at 6. Trades happen all the time at the draft with teams moving up and down. I don't know for a fact that Couturier was interviewed by Philly, but it's not unreasonable to think he was.

Closed Thread