HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New Helmet and Visor Recommendations

Old
02-17-2010, 02:52 PM
WVP

vCash: 500
New Helmet and Visor Recommendations

Decided to step into 2010 and get a new helmet. Looking at the Bauer 5100 and the CCM V08.

Anyone have any experience with either of these? I'm thinking the Bauer passes the eye test by a bit.

Also looking into wearing a visor for the first time. Seems pretty dumb to risk an eye injury as the stakes get lower and lower, haha.

Any recommendations here? Looking at the Bauer and Oakley offerings, mainly the Bauer half straight and the X100, and the Oakley VR904 and VR901 (actually can't tell the difference between the Oakley models).

Thanks.

WVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:10 PM
WVP

Also, does anyone have any pics of the X100 on a helmet? Any pros wear this visor?

Old
02-17-2010, 03:15 PM
playbedar

Send a message via MSN to playbedar
I use a Itech (now Bauer) Straight visor and I have absolutely no issues with it. No fogging, no scratching, easy to clean, perfect vision. If you actually buy a visor, i suggest you also buy a protector for the helmet/visor so it doesn't scratch in your bag. Also, don't use any chemicals on it so the anti-fog and anti-sratch doesn't wear off.

As for the helmet, I had a Bauer 5500 and now I use a RBK 6K so I can't help you. I don,t think you can go wrong with any of these. You should go to a store and try them to see which one is th emost comfortable, I think CCM are more narrow so it depends on your head's shape.

playbedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:19 PM
playbedar

Send a message via MSN to playbedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post
Also, does anyone have any pics of the X100 on a helmet? Any pros wear this visor?

Search for any canadian junior player if you want more pics.

playbedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:32 PM
WVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by playbedar View Post
Search for any canadian junior player if you want more pics.
Yeah, thanks for that. Never put 2 and 2 together although I've seen it a bunch. Looks way bigger in real life on a player than by itself.

I think I'll pass on that one.

Old
02-17-2010, 03:48 PM
Anubis79

I have to agree with playbedar. You should definitely try them on before you make a decision. I was looking for a new helmet last month, and I tried them all in the v08/5100 range. I went with the v08 because it just felt so right. It seems pretty protective. I've taken a rough spill and smacked my head off the boards. I felt it and it stung a bit, but I shook it off and had no ill effects.

Anubis79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well they're both really good VN helmets. I wanted a 5100 but it was too narrow. I ended up getting the very last 5500 in my size/color.

My favorite new helmet is the M11 though, super comfy.

I use a 9500 cage, can't help you on the visor.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 07:50 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I wanted a 5100 but it was too narrow.
I took out the clear plastic ear guards and it helped quite a bit.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 07:52 PM
Webernaut

Get a Bauer 4500 hands down. Bauer Pro Wave visor or Bauer Pro Straight. Trust me when I say you will love this helmet and visor combo...

Webernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 07:54 PM
Pierre Gotye

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVP View Post

I have it and like it. The Juniors wear it for it's quick disconnect feature.

Initial set-up I think is around $80(lens and frame holder) IIRC, after that you get two lenses for about the same price.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 08:19 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

I'm a noob, but I did try on some 20+ helmets, and the only 2 that were comfortable were the Mission Intake and the Bauer 9500 combo, which I ended up getting. It was the only really comfortable helmet out that I tried on and wore walking around the store for a length of time.

I even made the salesman stick the helmets on me without telling me which model, so I wouldn't be prejudiced against the brand/model.

It would seem like alot of things these days, you get what you pay for, as the more expensive the helmet, the more padding is included inside it. Just MHO.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2010, 08:59 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
playdebar gave you great advice, go to your lhs and get the helmet that fits you best. both are very good in protection and quality, but that doesn't mean a hill of beans if they don't fit you.

as for the x100, the reason it's the only visor you see in the chl is that bauer has an agreement with the league for that to be the mandated visor to use as well as the fact that it is csa certified.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 06:40 PM
NYRSinceBirth

If you play with a Visor it makes helmets a **** ton wider. I wear a medium 5100, one with the cage, one with a visor, both with ear pieces removed. The one with the cage is nice and snug while the one with the visor (Adjusted when it had a cage, then just put the visor on) got really wide on me. Flops around a bit but nothing too bad.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2010, 10:22 PM
Ani simov mal

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT BUY A THREE POINT VISOR. And I would recommend any of these:

RBK 8k, Bauer 5100, Bauer 5500, Bauer 4500, and Ccm V08 helmets. For Visors, Oakley VR904 modified straight, and Bauer straight cut clear pro half shield.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Yeah, three point visors are ****ing dust. Don't get one ever. At all.

Bauer 4500 with a Bauer pro straight cut is a beaut.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 01:05 AM
DogFoodEnforcer

i have that bauer DX100 shield. its good, but mine fogs up really badly in the 2nd and 3rd periods. i might need to get a new one soon. some guy wiped out in front of me today in the corner. his skate came up and laid a fat, deep scratch right where my eye sits.lol

DogFoodEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 02:32 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 View Post
I have it and like it. The Juniors wear it for it's quick disconnect feature.

Initial set-up I think is around $80(lens and frame holder) IIRC, after that you get two lenses for about the same price.
The Juniors wear it because they have too.

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 02:33 PM
CanadaBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
I'm a noob, but I did try on some 20+ helmets, and the only 2 that were comfortable were the Mission Intake and the Bauer 9500 combo, which I ended up getting. It was the only really comfortable helmet out that I tried on and wore walking around the store for a length of time.

I even made the salesman stick the helmets on me without telling me which model, so I wouldn't be prejudiced against the brand/model.

It would seem like alot of things these days, you get what you pay for, as the more expensive the helmet, the more padding is included inside it. Just MHO.
Intake is the best helmet ever, it looks like complete dust, but man is it comfy.

Im not looking forward to the day my intake kicks the bucket, so to speak

CanadaBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2010, 03:28 PM
WVP

I must be getting old, using "dust" as slang is new to me. Haha....

Old
02-21-2010, 05:23 PM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
Intake is the best helmet ever, it looks like complete dust, but man is it comfy.

Im not looking forward to the day my intake kicks the bucket, so to speak
I checked teh box it was in and it said "Fantom" and "Intake," not sure what Fantom means...

It was a VERY comfortable helmet, more so than any Bauer except the 9500. The issue I had with the Intake was the chin pad, which was a step down from the 9500. The 9500 did have alot more padding inside though, and I played with it last night, and it gave me no problems, even viewing the ice for the first time through a cage. If the 9500 did not exist, I'd have bought the Intake for sure, its too bad the company is gone, as they seemed to make good quality product in several lines.

ALSO: if you are looking for a second one, to keep in reserve, Westside skate on 5th avenue in the city had a bunch of them.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 08:15 PM
Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webernaut View Post
Get a Bauer 4500 hands down. Bauer Pro Wave visor or Bauer Pro Straight. Trust me when I say you will love this helmet and visor combo...
I have a Bauer 4500 medium size. I tried fitting my Oakley pro straight visor using the spaces Oakley provide.

the visor seems way too big for that helmet. what do you use to make it fit???

pics of your helmet would definitely help

thanks

Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 09:43 PM
adaminnj
Leafs out = SPRING!

by far the best helmet I have ever worn mission Intake

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-...ehelmetsr.html

This is a great price too. I paid way more for it on sale at National Sports in Pickering.

adaminnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2010, 10:39 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaminnj View Post
by far the best helmet I have ever worn mission Intake

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-...ehelmetsr.html

This is a great price too. I paid way more for it on sale at National Sports in Pickering.
I will have to vouch for the Intake as well. I tried just about most helmets on in this price range and none fit my head better than the Intake, the 5500 was a close second.

I recently bought one from Hockeymonkey, but it wasn't the one linked. It was a pro stock version, which doesn't differ besides no emblems on the side. And the Pro Stock is cheaper.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mission-...ntake-epp.html

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2010, 12:44 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
My advcie would be to try on the top of the line helmets to see if any of them feel good. The hockey helmet is not a piece of equipment I go cheap on. I loved the 8K but mine cracked in the front. I had the S17 from Easton and thought it sucked. It looked cool but the ventilation was way behind where RBK is at. I just bought the M11 and love it. Ventilation is very good, not sure if it's as good as the 8K, looks are good and you can't beat the protection. I picked up and tried on the new Z Shock and was amazed at how light it was. I didn't buy it because of the $170 price tag, would rather have the M11 and $50 in my bank account, but it reminded me of the Jofa brain bucket but with better protection. If it wasn't for the price tag I would highly recommend it but at the very least you have to hold this thing in your hand and try it on before you buy any other helmet. And I don't work for Easton or at any hockey shop looking to clear out stock. To me it's like when the one piece composite first came out, it's that different than anything else available.

The Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 02:21 AM
Leftwing14

I just bought a bauer 4500 helmet, Is there any reason to keep the earpieces on? I noticed a lot of players remove them. I used to wear an old ccm helmet with no cage or anything, but never asked why they did. Any feedback would be great, thanks guys.

Last edited by Leftwing14: 12-13-2010 at 02:37 AM.
Leftwing14 is offline   Reply With Quote