HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the #10 pick in the first round, the Wild select Jonas Brodin(now signed to ELC)

Closed Thread

Old
06-30-2011, 12:53 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
I believe his exact words were "Pathetic pick" and "Ruined the draft for me".

I also get a kick out of LiG using frail frame as a knock against Brodin.

Brodin:
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 168lbs

Murphy:
Abe: 18
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 174lbs

The difference is 2 inches and 6 pounds. So does Murphy have a frail frame?
To be fair, being 2 inches short and 6 pounds heavier makes me a bit less frail and more bulky.

But I see the frail frame as a big potential booster. We are projecting in the long term, and if Brodin can play a shutdown role against top SEL players as a rookie with that frail frame, imagine what he can do when he adds 20-30 lbs more of muscle in the next 2-3 years.

Old
06-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Kim Johnsson's playing weight was ~190 depending on where you read. And he's got the same skillset and height. A 17-year-old professional athlete should be able to put on 20 pounds of muscle over the next few years.

Old
06-30-2011, 01:00 PM
BuddyMcCormick

frail
1    [freyl] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est.
1.having delicate health; not robust; weak
2.easily broken or destroyed; fragile.
3.morally weak; easily tempted.

I think this has to do more with an individual person rather than their size. I used to me 5'10" and 140 at the age of 17. Bean pole thin, but I could take hits like you wouldn't believe. Just because someone is thin, doesn't mean that they are fragile. Since then I've filled out my frame at the age of 20 I was 5'10" and 180. Brodin will fill out.

Old
06-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Engebretson
I WANT HOLYFIELD!!!!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
To be fair, being 2 inches short and 6 pounds heavier makes me a bit less frail and more bulky.

But I see the frail frame as a big potential booster. We are projecting in the long term, and if Brodin can play a shutdown role against top SEL players as a rookie with that frail frame, imagine what he can do when he adds 20-30 lbs more of muscle in the next 2-3 years.
Exactly. It's not as if the Wild sees Brodin at 165 lbs and is content with him not bulking up. I'm sure there will be some motivation on the organization's part to get him to add that 20-30 lbs.

I believe that Brodin also stated in his press conference that one of his goals over the summer is to add weight and muscle.

Old
06-30-2011, 01:21 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
I'm guessing his weight is a non-issue right now if he sticks to playing a cerebral, non-physical game. His skating from all accounts is more than adequate to keep him out of harms way at least as much as spurgeon. The one thing that would surprise me most about Brodin's development is the appearance of any physical game whatsoever. I'm expecting Kim Johnsson. Sure, people rag on him all the time, but honestly he just looked stupid trying to body people off the puck and without that he was still our best puck mover. I've heard this kid is shy, too...I wonder how much that will affect him coming into camp and having to play with some of our more experienced NA guys?

Old
06-30-2011, 01:23 PM
RxDangles19

Quote:
I believe his exact words were "Pathetic pick" and "Ruined the draft for me".

I also get a kick out of LiG using frail frame as a knock against Brodin.

Brodin:
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 168lbs

Murphy:
Abe: 18
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 174lbs

The difference is 2 inches and 6 pounds. So does Murphy have a frail frame?

I hear that Murphys height is pretty exaggerated. Some say he is more around 5'9".
Still think he can be successful but I am very excited about the Brodin pick.

Old
06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDangles19 View Post
I hear that Murphys height is pretty exaggerated. Some say he is more around 5'9".
I'm fairly sure they measure all these kids on the same scale prior to the draft much like the NFL combine. Too lazy to look up exactly what Murphy measured in at, but I believe around 5'11" is accurate.

Anyway, welcome!

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
Old
06-30-2011, 01:34 PM
Generic User
From Concentrate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
I've heard this kid is shy, too...I wonder how much that will affect him coming into camp and having to play with some of our more experienced NA guys?
I was thinking about that a couple days ago as well. The silent ones can be deadly as well. I'm sure he'll come into his own eventually. I'm not the loudest person in the room and I'm not the quietest, but I can't imagine being 16/17-years old in Brodin's position. I can't promise I'd be a vocal player as a kid amongst men. When his teammates come to rely on him and respect him I assume he'll break out of his shell. Plenty of unlikely leaders in the NHL.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:51 PM
LemaireisGOD

He better...

Quote:
frail
1    [freyl] Show IPA adjective, -er, -est.
1.having delicate health; not robust; weak
2.easily broken or destroyed; fragile.
3.morally weak; easily tempted.

I think this has to do more with an individual person rather than their size. I used to me 5'10" and 140 at the age of 17. Bean pole thin, but I could take hits like you wouldn't believe. Just because someone is thin, doesn't mean that they are fragile. Since then I've filled out my frame at the age of 20 I was 5'10" and 180. Brodin will fill out.
Because I am thinking of how much he'll struggle against David Backes, Chris Stewart, Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown, or even a slightly smaller sized player that can skate and protect the puck well like Jonathan Toews or Pavel Datsyuk. So you think his 'smart' poke check will win every time? That's pretty damn optimistic. Great you can take a hit, what does that matter? I was 6'2", 220lbs at 17, I could take hits but loved to dish them out but what does that have to do with anything?

Brodin wasn't getting hit by guys like Powe or Clutterbuck playing in the SEL. Also, if he was the 'shutdown' defender for Farjestad how does that jive with the crap about him not getting as much ice time? Or are you trying to tell me that Farjestad seldom used their 'shut down' defenseman. Sorry, it doesn't match.

5'11", 174 certainly could use a little more muscle for Murphy but to me he's closer to having that frame filled out proportionately speaking than a guy who's 6'1", 160 who should be at least 30lbs heavier than he already is to withstand the more physically rigorous NHL game.

To me, Brodin sounds alot like Nashville's Jonathan Blum. Blum was very thin when he was drafted out of Vancouver Giants; but I personally believe Nashville does a better job at cultivating its young players than do the Wild...but I digress...

Old
06-30-2011, 02:53 PM
LemaireisGOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
I'm fairly sure they measure all these kids on the same scale prior to the draft much like the NFL combine. Too lazy to look up exactly what Murphy measured in at, but I believe around 5'11" is accurate.

Anyway, welcome!
Your correct, in fact in the old CSS lists, they used to put stars next to players they confirmed the height and weight of. Needless to say almost everyone made sure they had those certified.

Old
06-30-2011, 02:59 PM
nickschultzfan

Talking about a kids frame at age 17/18 = fail.

Brodin was a good pick. At the time, I didn't like it, but considering we came out of the draft with Coyle, Phillips, and Lucia, it was smart to draft a Dman with at #10.

Clearly, the scouts had Brodin ranked the #3, if not #2, Dman in the entire draft.

When you pick up three very skilled forwards plus the #2/#3 overall Dman, it's a good draft.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:03 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxDangles19 View Post
Welcome!

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
Old
06-30-2011, 03:05 PM
LemaireisGOD

You may think so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

Brodin was a good pick. At the time, I didn't like it, but considering we came out of the draft with Coyle, Phillips, and Lucia, it was smart to draft a Dman with at #10.

Clearly, the scouts had Brodin ranked the #3, if not #2, Dman in the entire draft.

When you pick up three very skilled forwards plus the #2/#3 overall Dman, it's a good draft.
The only pick I liked was Lucia. It had nothing to do with the fact he's from Minnesota. It had all to do with the fact he seemed to be the only player that addressed this team's most pressing need. A quality finisher at the forward position with decent skating ability. The rest to me were blah, reaches or wastes of picks altogether.

Should I point out we still have quite a few scouts leftover from the Doug Risebrough days. These are the same guys that thought Thelen, Pouliot, Sheppard, Cuma and Gillies were GREAT picks. Sorry, they have to land a few major success (with NHL stats in tow, not Euro pro, junior or college stats) stories before I start trusting their judgement and giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:18 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

it's real safe to project a high school kid as a quality finisher in the NHL but it's a reach to think an elite skater in Brodin will have a positive impact on our future D corp when he's already playing at a higher level than Lucia will see until he makes it to the NHL. IF he makes it.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:23 PM
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
it's real safe to project a high school kid as a quality finisher in the NHL but it's a reach to think an elite skater in Brodin will have a positive impact on our future D corp when he's already playing at a higher level than Lucia will see until he makes it to the NHL. IF he makes it.
Haha Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemaireisGOD View Post
Because I am thinking of how much he'll struggle against David Backes, Chris Stewart, Anze Kopitar, Dustin Brown, or even a slightly smaller sized player that can skate and protect the puck well like Jonathan Toews or Pavel Datsyuk. So you think his 'smart' poke check will win every time? That's pretty damn optimistic. Great you can take a hit, what does that matter? I was 6'2", 220lbs at 17, I could take hits but loved to dish them out but what does that have to do with anything?

Brodin wasn't getting hit by guys like Powe or Clutterbuck playing in the SEL. Also, if he was the 'shutdown' defender for Farjestad how does that jive with the crap about him not getting as much ice time? Or are you trying to tell me that Farjestad seldom used their 'shut down' defenseman. Sorry, it doesn't match.

5'11", 174 certainly could use a little more muscle for Murphy but to me he's closer to having that frame filled out proportionately speaking than a guy who's 6'1", 160 who should be at least 30lbs heavier than he already is to withstand the more physically rigorous NHL game.

To me, Brodin sounds alot like Nashville's Jonathan Blum. Blum was very thin when he was drafted out of Vancouver Giants; but I personally believe Nashville does a better job at cultivating its young players than do the Wild...but I digress...
You completely missed the point of my post. I'm saying that just because he's skinny (right now) doesn't mean he's frail. Skinny =\= frail. It has more to do with genetics than your build. Certainly bulking up will help prevent injuries but some people/players are simply injury prone regardless of their build. That was my point.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:28 PM
LemaireisGOD

Certainly...

Quote:
I am skeptical too, but I guess the intent; like what we were supposed to be getting from that player is why I liked it. We took a calculated chance on a good sized kid that can skate fairly well and score. If he fails, at least we took a chance on a guy we felt could fit team's greatest need. That made sense to me with the direction the team wanted to be.

Of course high school picks are extremely speculative. Its a reason why I felt like the other two high schoolers we picked were pure throw aways. They may have just as much a shot as Lucia to make it; but I didn't see why half of our draft had to be high school kids. 3/6 high schoolers was not something to be happy about.

Old
06-30-2011, 03:30 PM
LemaireisGOD

Quote:
Haha Right?

You completely missed the point of my post. I'm saying that just because he's skinny (right now) doesn't mean he's frail. Skinny =\= frail. It has more to do with genetics than your build. Certainly bulking up will help prevent injuries but some people/players are simply injury prone regardless of their build. That was my point.
If that was your point then I did miss it and I agree. I've had that experience both as a player and as a coach. Big kids who are babies and smaller guys who are pretty tough; but I've seen the reverse too. I've always felt its better to be stronger than to be weak and hope you can work your way around it, that's all.

Old
06-30-2011, 04:11 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Shouldn't the team take BPA and not draft for current need? I mean, even if Lucia pans out, he's not making this team for 2-3 years minimum.

Old
06-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Bookman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Shouldn't the team take BPA and not draft for current need? I mean, even if Lucia pans out, he's not making this team for 2-3 years minimum.
I think so; not to mention the fact that eventually you have more prospects than you have available spots. Look at all the college guys Fletch signed: Wellman, Palmer, Rau, Prosser, Genoway, Fontaine. How many of them will even get a sniff of the NHL, especially as newer, better prospects keep rolling in? They seemed promising at the time, but now, who cares about Jared Palmer?

I think of Danny Irmen, who many thought a lock for lower line duty on the Wild one day. Well, he got surpassed, sank down the depth chart, and never made it.

The key is to go BPA, and if you end up with a surplus, well, there's trade fodder for deadline deals and playoff runs.

The Wild's system is getting close to that point, after just a couple good drafts and the Burns trade.

Old
06-30-2011, 06:16 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

don't get me started on "BPA". Totally subjective term; beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Assuming some consensus could be reached among everyone involved in scouting players, do you honestly believe that a team is going to pick a left wing with every pick of every draft for four years in a row if that's what's left as the BPA? BPA is a ******** term.

Old
07-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35
Brodin is gonna be a stud. Great pick!

Old
07-03-2011, 09:50 AM
Bookman

Quote:
don't get me started on "BPA". Totally subjective term; beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Assuming some consensus could be reached among everyone involved in scouting players, do you honestly believe that a team is going to pick a left wing with every pick of every draft for four years in a row if that's what's left as the BPA? BPA is a ******** term.
I understand BPA to = player you like best, or ranked highest.

If you have a bunch of good left wing prospects, then your GM needs to parlay the surplus into other needs. I'd rather have 3 elite prospects at the same position than one elite prospects and 2 midddling ones because "we already have one of those."

Look at Nashville - they kept drafting defensemen even though they lacked goal scorers. It seemed to work pretty well for them.

Old
07-03-2011, 10:32 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
I understand BPA to = player you like best, or ranked highest.

If you have a bunch of good left wing prospects, then your GM needs to parlay the surplus into other needs. I'd rather have 3 elite prospects at the same position than one elite prospects and 2 midddling ones because "we already have one of those."

Look at Nashville - they kept drafting defensemen even though they lacked goal scorers. It seemed to work pretty well for them.
look at edmonton.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:01 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Honestly, Nashville is an odd situation.

Poille consistently drafts defensemen, develops them, and then as they start to ripen for NHL duty, he takes a look at which ones are his core and trades the ones away that are surplus.

He trades them for forwards, typically. Take today out of the question and you can see the pattern.

That model has achieved the ceiling, in my opinion. They have solid D, solid G, but weaker forwards. They've hit the 2nd round once.

I dunno. I like that model, but it has it's limitations. Especially when you aren't great at trading, but great at drafting.

Old
07-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Dampland

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

I agree.

I know I was one of the first to post on here how the pick was horrible, that I had lost faith in Fletcher, etc. But now after a week to digest everything better. I feel much much better about everything. Sure I still think the Wild will be a NON-playoff team this year. BUt at least I can see a plan in motion and some light at the end of the tunnel.

I do find it funny how many people wanted to draft Murphy, when he fell to us. Isn't he just a younger version of M.A.B., the man we couldn't get out of town fast enough because of his terrible defense?

Closed Thread