HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the #10 pick in the first round, the Wild select Jonas Brodin(now signed to ELC)

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2011, 01:39 AM
sushinsky4tsar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
Damn ... would have been nice to have ARMIA's sister or girlfriend at the XCEL attending games ..... Wowzer!
There's nothing wrong with Blondie sitting next to Jonas (sister I presume). When it comes to drafts, there simply is no eye candy that compares to that of the NHL Draft.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:41 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I was just going to post that - I saw him to the Wild in a few other mocks as well.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:42 AM
Ville82

Why not Murphy well i guess they hope he becomes next Lidström.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:06 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I like this pick - a lot.

I know he wasn't the sexy pick because we need offense but Brodin, to me, is one of those quiet defensemen that when you look at the stat sheet you don't see anything remarkable but when you realize it, he's crunched 22 minutes and is a +2.

If one thing is true, Sweden knows how to produce top defensemen. The top prospect for HF was Rundblad a Swedish defenseman. I know Klefbom was there but Brodin is exceptionally young and has a lot of room for growth.

I wouldn't be surprise if he added another inch or two on his skinny body and at 6'2"-6'3" he would be good size.

The fact he was rated highly, and the fact he is playing against MEN at the age of 17 is not only astonishing it's remarkable. How many prospects can say that?

This was a smart pick because I really think that in a few years, people will wonder why he wasn't taken higher.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:15 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I think some of you guys need to geek out a little bit more with XM Home Ice or at least like their page on Facebook to get some of the audio re-caps.

Brodin was rumored to be on the board for New Jersey at 4 (if AL was gone). According to one of the New Jersey beat writers, Brodin was sky rocketing up the charts of a lot of teams. Bob McKenzie had him sky rocketing up the charts as well, saying that if NJ didn't take him at 4 if Larson was gone, he wouldn't last passed 10 to 15.

There was also a lot of talk about who he projected more like. Larson was never compared to Lidstrom, Brodin has been. Larson was compared directly to Hedman who was compared to Edler if I'm not mistaken.

There was something different about him at the combine, I think, which caused a lot of teams to take notice. Something was mentioned about his post exertion test scores being the highest or among the highest, of the entire combine? Not sure. I'm tired and I will have to try to look it up tomorrow...

very very tired.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:17 AM
State of Hockey

Good: #10 wasn't Armia

Bad: #10, a good choice or not, was thoroughly unexciting.

Ugly: #10 wasn't Murphy, and Philly has just broken our hearts.

I'm not a big fan of picking defensemen this high when they have offensive question marks. Hopefully Brodin figures that part of the game out.

Last edited by State of Hockey: 06-25-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old
06-25-2011, 02:31 AM
BuddyMcCormick

I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this (I'm sure some have) but there tends to be a trend Fletcher seems to go after with his draft picks. He may not always draft the flashiest player, or the most physically gifted player. Within the last 2 drafts, drafts that I hold him accountable (I hold nobody responsible for 09. Transition year.) he has drafted players that have very high hockey IQs. We had it last year with Granlund. We have it this year with Brodin, and to a slightly lesser extent Phillips.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:33 AM
BLBarmada

Hes also taking safer picks, guys who haven't had media spotlight( not ver hyped) and guys who are a few years away. Which means he won't rush players. Atleast we know that he is competent when it comes to developpment.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:53 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this (I'm sure some have) but there tends to be a trend Fletcher seems to go after with his draft picks. He may not always draft the flashiest player, or the most physically gifted player. Within the last 2 drafts, drafts that I hold him accountable (I hold nobody responsible for 09. Transition year.) he has drafted players that have very high hockey IQs. We had it last year with Granlund. We have it this year with Brodin, and to a slightly lesser extent Phillips.
HUGE emphasis on hockey IQ and character. I think he also has alot of faith in their European scouts. They also seem to like players that will have tons of opportunity to play top minutes in their respective league.

Granlund, Larsson, Brodin.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:55 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
Hes also taking safer picks, guys who haven't had media spotlight( not ver hyped) and guys who are a few years away. Which means he won't rush players. Atleast we know that he is competent when it comes to developpment.
I think that has a bit to do with the lack of talent in the Wild's prospect pool. CF is trying to build it up slowly and picking a more risky pick is not the way to go.

With Brodin and Granlund, you are getting talent but also some confidence that they will no doubt make an impact with the Wild. After years of picking extremely raw prospects in A.J Thelen, Benoit Pouliot, Colton Gillies and Nick Leddy, I'm happy the Wild are focusing on retooling the prospect pool.

Old
06-25-2011, 06:51 AM
wwvdw

Wow, I didn't expect this negativity. Brodin will be an excellent player, he just needs to fill out his frame.

Since people on here don't seem to accept the view Swedes have on this guy maybe you should read the draftprofile one of the writers for a Toronto blog wrote.

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2011/0...onas-brodin-2/

Old
06-25-2011, 08:51 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

A friend of mine is a big swedish/Bruins fan and this is what he had to say on our first round draft pick..

"strong 2 way defenceman...very good skater, handles the puck very well, doesn't do anything spectacularly but is good at everything...plays in every situation...id guess another year in Sweden playing full time with Farjestad and on the Sweden WJHC team then crosses the pond"

Old
06-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwvdw View Post
Wow, I didn't expect this negativity. Brodin will be an excellent player, he just needs to fill out his frame.

Since people on here don't seem to accept the view Swedes have on this guy maybe you should read the draftprofile one of the writers for a Toronto blog wrote.

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/2011/0...onas-brodin-2/
When someone who maybe was picked to go to Wild in 1 of 100 mock drafts gets picked, its gonna raise some ruckus. Seems like a safe pick though, I feel a little better about it now that I've slept on it.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:20 AM
bottomofthefoodchain

You guys don't have a clue.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:21 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 1460
The first thing that came to mind after we picked Brodin...

Old
06-25-2011, 10:05 AM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by danccchan View Post
What depth are you talking about?

Scandella - 2nd pairing potential
Stoner - #4-6 potential
Spurgeon - dunno lol
Falk - depth defenseman
Prosser - depth defenseman

Thats deep of depth guys. Adding Brodin finally adds some talent to that group
I think your seriously understating the potential of both Scandella and Falk. They expect Falk to be a shutdown defenseman, he's huge and can skate. Scandella is a potential #1 d-man, the guy has dynamic offensive skill and is physical.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:13 AM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar View Post
There's nothing wrong with Blondie sitting next to Jonas (sister I presume). When it comes to drafts, there simply is no eye candy that compares to that of the NHL Draft.
Being at the draft last night it was hard to tell if you were at a Vogue shoot or the draft.

There also seemed to be a high number of extremely attractive 18-24 year old ladies that were not there with any of the players. It appeared they were there scouting out their own NHL prospects.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:15 AM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomofthefoodchain View Post
You guys don't have a clue.
Ouch. Do you think it was a good pick?

Old
06-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Wild Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
If being a Wild fan has taught me anything, it's that being a first-round pick doesn't make you a good hockey player.
I should steal that for a sig line...

Old
06-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
I think your seriously understating the potential of both Scandella and Falk. They expect Falk to be a shutdown defenseman, he's huge and can skate. Scandella is a potential #1 d-man, the guy has dynamic offensive skill and is physical.
With Falk, I'll give you that. But second pairing would be most and stretch for him. A depth is a very safe bet for him.

However, I fully disagree with you about Scandella. I think he's a mobile defenseman with a good physical package, but I don't see that dynamic offensive skill you mentioned. He has some offensive upside but wouldn't call it dynamic.

#3-#4 would be my bet for Scandella. A good one though.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Based Goalie View Post
When someone who maybe was picked to go to Wild in 1 of 100 mock drafts gets picked, its gonna raise some ruckus. Seems like a safe pick though, I feel a little better about it now that I've slept on it.
I don't. I feel even worse now.

Maybe it's finally time to change my avatar (surely Brodin won't be in it ).

Old
06-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Ladra

Congratz on getting Brodin!

He was realy impressing in the SEL and he became better and better in the PO and as it moved on. The most impressive things about his game was his calm and sound and solid defensive game.

Old
06-26-2011, 02:54 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

So it appears that they think Brodin will skate here sooner than later. Man! Having a 19 year old defenseman from Sweden on the team, that is a rarity...

Old
06-26-2011, 02:59 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Clearly the biggest downside to this pick:

Old
06-26-2011, 03:04 AM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
So it appears that they think Brodin will skate here sooner than later. Man! Having a 19 year old defenseman from Sweden on the team, that is a rarity...
He just has to aim putting up muscle this season. He's a skinny 169 pounds. Add 10-20 lbs more, he might be able to make the Wild or even the Aeros

Closed Thread