HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

With the #10 pick in the first round, the Wild select Jonas Brodin(now signed to ELC)

Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
I'll be honest that I really wanted Murphy at #10. Just because he's so dynamic and I think to a point size is overrated. Bourque, Coffey, Orr, those guys weren't big. If you have the skill and skating and intelligence, you will play in the NHL.

Brodin I didn't know much about going into the draft. It seems he's kind of a sleeper. Scouting reports that he's a good skater and smart. Didn't put up the points but most kids don't in Europe.

But hey, remember when the Wild took Scandella way off the board? That was a laugher of a pick, but it turned out great.

Old
06-27-2011, 08:49 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSwe View Post

Here's the only goal by him that is up on youtube I think.
Final 4, his goal meant 1-1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr9-Z6fHFzM
Hmm, reminds me of a former Wild defenseman who scored from the point with wristers.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:28 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
I'd say Brodins offensive side is better than he has yet shown. He is quite shy both on and off the ice, and the first half of the season when he got ice time cuz of injuries he just wanted to play easy and not make any mistakes.

The longer the season progressed he did longer and longer transports with the puck and as his coinfidence grew with every game. He even went solo sometimes at the end of the season.

This time he goes into the season knowing he has a spot on the roster. He knows all the guys on the team already. He won gold last season so he got huge amount of experience from that.
I'd say we will see Jonas Brodin going abit more offensive next season, even tho he's still gonna play his way of the game.

Here's the only goal by him that is up on youtube I think.
Final 4, his goal meant 1-1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr9-Z6fHFzM
thanks for the input! It would be great if you find the time throughout the season if you could post updates or tidbits from his play over there. We had a few Finns doing that for us with Granlund and it really helps keep the excitement going.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:29 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

vCash: 850
Quote:
Little OT; but you can copy links directly to the time point you want on the timeline by stopping the video there, right clicking it and "Copy at current time". There are other ways too, but thats the simplest.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:20 AM
SouthSwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Based Goalie View Post
Little OT; but you can copy links directly to the time point you want on the timeline by stopping the video there, right clicking it and "Copy at current time". There are other ways too, but thats the simplest.
Yeah i've done that a few times, but it use to be abit of a struggle to remember exactly how it was done. But I didn't know you cud right click and copy at current time, so that was a very helpful tip, so thanks alot

And yes, I use to pop in here on the HF Boards and read the threads about Färjestad related players (such as Brodin, Klefbom, Nygren, Jonas Gustavsson and so on) so I will keep posting the things I see and hear over here

Ur all free to PM questions and such at any point this season. I could talk about our youngsters for hours

Old
06-27-2011, 12:44 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I'll be honest that I really wanted Murphy at #10. Just because he's so dynamic and I think to a point size is overrated. Bourque, Coffey, Orr, those guys weren't big. If you have the skill and skating and intelligence, you will play in the NHL.

Brodin I didn't know much about going into the draft. It seems he's kind of a sleeper. Scouting reports that he's a good skater and smart. Didn't put up the points but most kids don't in Europe.

But hey, remember when the Wild took Scandella way off the board? That was a laugher of a pick, but it turned out great.
Size can be overrated, sure enough, but you get a collection of under sized players and it will cost...we already have that problem to a degree.

Old
06-27-2011, 12:47 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Size can be overrated, sure enough, but you get a collection of under sized players and it will cost...we already have that problem to a degree.
Is 6'1" really undersized? I thought that was closer to average. Yes, he's underweight, but that's something that's pretty typical of draftees, and is easy to rectify. With how young he is, there's still a chance for him to get taller as well.

Old
06-27-2011, 12:57 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Is 6'1" really undersized? I thought that was closer to average. Yes, he's underweight, but that's something that's pretty typical of draftees, and is easy to rectify. With how young he is, there's still a chance for him to get taller as well.
If you read the post I quoted, that was in reference to Murphy who's 5-10...

Old
06-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Generic User
Lafferty, Daniel

Taken from thehockeywriters.com-

Full article: Jonas Brodin - Prospect Profile

Quote:
Eldon MacDonald, my co-conspirator at The Next Ones, has anointed Jonas “The Zen Master” and explains why:

Jonas has a lot of skills and good points but two set him apart from the field:
  • Calmness - there is a serenity about Jonas’ game, a coolness under pressure where time seems to slow down and Jonas uses that time to make his decision on what play to make and to speed up or slow down the flow of the game – no matter what the distraction. Next time you are watching him on TV, turn down the sound and put on Louie Armstrong singing “It’s a Wonderful World” and you will get the music that scouts are feeling when they are watching Jonas Brodin.
  • Vision - Chess masters such as Garry Kasparov and Anatoly Karpov can look at a game of chess and see many moves ahead – that is one of the reasons they are so good. Similarly, Jonas Brodin looks at a sheet of ice like a chess board and can see what play to make that will not just get the puck out of the zone but is likely to put his team in the best possible position to create offense.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:06 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
If you read the post I quoted, that was in reference to Murphy who's 5-10...
Ah, looking back I can see that.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:07 PM
SouthSwe

Sums it up really good.

I have never ever seen a 17-year old so mature when it comes to sport. He so calm it unbeliavable.
Like I've said earlier, Jonas was probably the one in our whole time with least mistakes this season.

Old
06-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Yeah the more I read about him, he sounds almost exactly like Kim Johnsson, except very young and without the concussion history. Johnsson was phenomenal at breaking the puck out and starting the play, except he rarely had forwards who would finish. Hopefully Brodin won't have that problem.

As for size, I was talking more about the individual player than the team. Obviously being 6' or less didn't hold back Orr, Coffey, or Bourque, but by the same token you don't have six of them on your blue line! You pair up Murphy with a bigger shutdown guy.

Reading Scandella's scouting report, he was projected to be a shutdown defenseman but developed a little offensive ability. I still see him as a potential Seabrook type, where he can compliment an offensive defenseman. Perhaps Brodin-Scandella is our top pairing D of the future?

Old
06-27-2011, 03:31 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Taken from thehockeywriters.com-

Full article: Jonas Brodin - Prospect Profile
Minnesota has 2 absolutely smart prospects who plays calm and rarely makes stupid decisions. Theyre both under 20 and only few precent of hockeyplayers will achieve that kind of gamereading and understading of a game at their prime and it will get only better. 1 defender and 1 foward. After couple days this pick makes sence. Fletcher knows what he does. Brodin is Granlund at defensive zone, mark my words. Can't wait to see them together.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:36 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I think our power play is going to be sick with Granlund and Brodin in the mix.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
I think our power play is going to be sick with Granlund and Brodin in the mix.
Still unsure about his offensive upside but I am definitely excited to see the team move from defense to offense alot faster and as a result, spend more time in the other end of the ice rather than stumbling around our net...

Old
06-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Caior89

vCash: 353
YAY! so GMCF drafted a swedish monk? Awesome!

Old
06-27-2011, 03:46 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

It sounds like he's very similar to Johnsson on the PP as well, good puck movement and lots of fake shots to pass off the puck yet reluctant to shoot the puck himself. Will need to be paired with a shooter.

Old
06-27-2011, 05:21 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
It sounds like he's very similar to Johnsson on the PP as well, good puck movement and lots of fake shots to pass off the puck yet reluctant to shoot the puck himself. Will need to be paired with a shooter.
Thats the fun part of the draft. Watching the prospects take their own route in development and see what they improve on. If he focuses on just his steady-defensive play, we'll get a good player, but if he does that as well as learn to shoot more, we'll get an excellent player

Old
06-27-2011, 05:56 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Loved the pick. This kid has elite everything and he is only 17. Fletch is the man!

Old
06-27-2011, 06:01 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

I hated this pick at the time. I went so far to turn off the TV and stop watching. I happened to check Twitter moments after people started announcing the Burns trade and turned the TV back on in time for the official announcement. Knowing we've "fixed" some of our offensive woes, I thought this pick was fantastic. I haven't cared too much for Murphy, who I think was clearly the best of the rest in terms of D-men at the draft. Siemens has gotten a lot of negative press, and Oleksiak is too much of a project. Brodin seems like a near guarantee top 4 with a strong chance to be a legitimate top pairing player.

Old
06-27-2011, 06:56 PM
BLBarmada

I'm starting to really really like this pick, I would love to see him come over this year, he played on a championchip team in the SEL at 17 that's dam impressive.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:59 AM
SouthSwe

Doubt he will play powerplay in the NHL. Depending on what roles he will get next season in SEL tho.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:06 AM
Allu27

I'm liking this pick more and more I read about him.
I don't dare to compare him to Lidström, but I do get this Paul Martin vibe from him.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:39 AM
forthewild

as far as his offensive game goes i think he'll be fine, remember Spurgeon this year he started off really poor in the points dept, but as he gained confidence he started to get some more points under his belt. Also if you guys remember towards the end of the year when they let Spurgeon play on the PP his ability to move the puck created chances.

Brodin isn't terrible offensively, he was just a 17 year old kid playing in a mens league, his totals will go up next year as he has a bigger role and more confidence.

Old
06-28-2011, 08:50 AM
nickschultzfan

I miss Johnsson.

Closed Thread