HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[CHI/WSH] Troy Brouwer for 26th Pick

Old
06-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molseed View Post
Caps are deep enough on young talent where they didn't need the pick this year in a mediocre draft. I like it.
Isn't that a myth? Who are those guys? OV, OK. Backstrom - definately. And maybe Johansson. You can add Carlson.

But you need to substract Semin and Green because they should be shipped out for more consistent players who will give their all in April and May.

We are shipping out young talent: Flash, now Semin and Green. The only additions will be Kuz and Orlov. I wouldn't say we are deep enough even if GMGM will keep Semin/Green.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:09 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Isn't that a myth? Who are those guys? OV, OK. Backstrom - definately. And maybe Johansson. You can add Carlson.

But you need to substract Semin and Green because they should be shipped out for more consistent players who will give their all in April and May.

We are shipping out young talent: Flash, now Semin and Green. The only additions will be Kuz and Orlov. I wouldn't say we are deep enough even if GMGM will keep Semin/Green.
Alzner IMO is the best defensemen on the team, equally shared with Carlson. People tend to forget about him because he doesn't put up points but he is a great defensemen and will be even better in years to come.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:39 PM
txpd

not a myth. center. backstrom,johansson, sjogren, eakin. defense. green,

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
not a myth. center. backstrom,johansson, sjogren, eakin. defense. green,
Sjogren?
Eakin?

Total NHL games combined: 0. Prospects are organizational depth. Not cup winning depth.

I do support the argument that we have enough young talent to win a cup, but not because of guys like Eakin and Sjogren.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:44 PM
txpd

i assumed we are talking system. that should be part of the conversation.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Alzner IMO is the best defensemen on the team, equally shared with Carlson. People tend to forget about him because he doesn't put up points but he is a great defensemen and will be even better in years to come.
Alzner isn't much of the offensive threat. I thought discussion was about reconstructing offensive part of the roster so didn't include Alzner in the talent depth.

I would agree that he's the best defender but he's also closer to his ceiling, just that imho.

Raikkonen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:21 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Sjogren?
Eakin?

Total NHL games combined: 0. Prospects are organizational depth. Not cup winning depth.

I do support the argument that we have enough young talent to win a cup, but not because of guys like Eakin and Sjogren.
Are you saying 148 career games in the SEL, arguably the second best league in the world, counts for nothing? Of course there will be a transition period for Sjorgren but it's not like hes a complete rookie that had as much money thrown at him as the rules allow. His production last year translates to around 38 points over an 82 game season, 2 points behind Knuble.

Keep in mind MaJo had 0 NHL games at this point last year and he did just fine.

As for Eakin, apparently one of the hardest cuts last summer. Little doubt he's going to be NHL ready next year.

So say what you want about game experience but everyone has to start somewhere and after the Michael Nylander experiment I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to bring in free agents.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:29 PM
Mothra
The Groovy Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post

Are you saying 148 career games in the SEL, arguably the second best league in the world, counts for nothing? Of course there will be a transition period for Sjorgren but it's not like hes a complete rookie that had as much money thrown at him as the rules allow.

As for Eakin, apparently one of the hardest cuts last summer. Little doubt he's going to be NHL ready next year.

So say what you want about game experience but everyone has to start somewhere and after the Michael Nylander experiment I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to bring in free agents.
Even though this wasnt asked of me, ill answer.....

in terms of NHL success, it counts as nothing... History is filled with successful players from other leagues that did squadoosh in the NHL.

It was almost as if the tag "best player not in the NHL" meant "best player that cant make it in the NHL". There is a reason Alexandre Giroux scores 60 goals in the AHL but cant make an NHL roster. Regardless of what the 2nd best league in the world is, its a huge step up to the NHL

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:31 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Oskar Osala. Finnish Elite League rookie of the year!!!1!

06-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Heh. He just signed in the KHL last month, right?

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Are you saying 148 career games in the SEL, arguably the second best league in the world, counts for nothing?
Since the previous few posters have already basically laid out my point. Yes, that's what I'm saying.

Quote:
Of course there will be a transition period for Sjorgren but it's not like hes a complete rookie that had as much money thrown at him as the rules allow. His production last year translates to around 38 points over an 82 game season, 2 points behind Knuble.

Ready to play in the NHL and ready to win a Cup are two very different things. You can hope that Eakin turns into Marchand, but a vast majority of rookies (including Johansson for the first 3/4 of last season) are not ready to make an impact.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Any talk of negotiations w/Brouwer?

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Foy

Who gives a crap about the first 3/4s of the season.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:48 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post

in terms of NHL success, it counts as nothing... History is filled with successful players from other leagues that did squadoosh in the NHL.

It was almost as if the tag "best player not in the NHL" meant "best player that cant make it in the NHL". There is a reason Alexandre Giroux scores 60 goals in the AHL but cant make an NHL roster. Regardless of what the 2nd best league in the world is, its a huge step up to the NHL
Yes, I agree that it's not a direct transition. However by the same token though it's not fair to paint him as a complete rookie that won't be ready for the rigors of NHL play.

I'm very confident that by midseason people will be eating a healthy dose of Sjogren crow. For Gods sake we're talking about a third line center that will bring energy, playmaking, and a two way game. I could understand the concern if he was a full time second line Center but we're talking about a guy that could easily thrive in that third line role without killing the cap.

Please hold me to this. By midseason people are going to be singing the praises of a third line that features Eakin and Sjogren. Certainly an upgrade from last years Chimera-MaJo-Strum line.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:49 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Who gives a crap about the first 3/4s of the season.
I do. I'm curious to see how the team plays for Boudreau. Specifically, if Backstrom and Ovechkin decide to play a full season with their heads outside of their *******s.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:52 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Yes, I agree that it's not a direct transition. However by the same token though it's not fair to paint him as a complete rookie that won't be ready for the rigors of NHL play.

I'm very confident that by midseason people will be eating a healthy dose of Sjogren crow. For Gods sake we're talking about a third line center that will bring energy, playmaking, and a two way game. I could understand the concern if he was a full time second line Center but we're talking about a guy that could easily thrive in that third line role without killing the cap.

Please hold me to this. By midseason people are going to be singing the praises of a third line that features Eakin and Sjogren. Certainly an upgrade from last years Chimera-MaJo-Strum line.
I know Sturm hurt his knee, but what happened to his hands? I thought he had decent hands at one point...

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:

Ready to play in the NHL and ready to win a Cup are two very different things. You can hope that Eakin turns into Marchand, but a vast majority of rookies (including Johansson for the first 3/4 of last season) are not ready to make an impact.
While all four lines are important, the main culprits in a cup run are going to come from guys playing 18 to 30 minutes a game. I'd worry more about Backstrom regaining his form and the continued development of the young back end players Alzner, Carlson, Nuevy, and Holtby before I'd start to panic about having young guys on the third line.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post

Yes, I agree that it's not a direct transition. By the same token though it's not fair to paint him as a complete rookie that won't be ready for the rigors of NHL play.

Please hold me to this. By midseason people are going to be singing the praise of a third line that features Eakin and Sjogren.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:56 PM
mrwarden
Nothing Witty

Quote:
By midseason people are going to be singing the praises of a third line that features Eakin and Sjogren. Certainly an upgrade from last years Chimera-MaJo-Strum line.
Never happen. Ever.

Ever. ever.

Not just the praise thing. There's no chance Eakin and Sjorgren are on the third line together.

mrwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Brouwer conference call.

SWhyno: Troy Brouwer: "I have no doubts in my mind right know that we will be able to work out a deal, quickly I think." #Caps

He brings up Madden's influence in Chicago. If he doesn't end up returning there, he still makes for a good 4C fit.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Would love Madden as a 4C. But I thought it was Chicago, Minnesota, or retirement for him?

Old
06-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Would love Madden as a 4C. But I thought it was Chicago, Minnesota, or retirement for him?
Money talks, when Madden was in NJ he made everyone on his line better and was a great character guy. When he left for Chicago and Brylin left for Russia Jay Pandolfo who was one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL, or so we thought, fell apart and it ended his career basically he leached of Madden to a point where it was insane.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:05 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
You can hope that Eakin turns into Marchand, but a vast majority of rookies (including Johansson for the first 3/4 of last season) are not ready to make an impact.
Anyone expecting Eakin to to be in his first season as a pro what Marchand was in his 3rd season as a pro and first in the NHL is likely in for a lot of disappointment. Could he become that player over time? Most definitely.

Also that whole 'Eakin a very difficult last cut' thing last year needs to be taken in the context that as a guy who had to be returned to his junior team if cut that decision is a whole lot different than for the same player who can be sent to the AHL. Yes he had a very nice camp but the once cut he is lost to them for the year part definitely played a major part in making that decision so difficult. If he could have been sent to Hershey and then called up whenever that decision is a whole lot easier.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I know Sturm hurt his knee, but what happened to his hands? I thought he had decent hands at one point...
No he still has the hands he always had but what made Sturm an effective offensive player was that he was pretty much always the fastest guy on the ice. Since losing that step he's never been close to the player he was, which is why he was a waiver wire pickup.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:22 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

A couple of years earlier, and I might have seen it, but absolutely everything I have read is that for all of Madden's intangibles in abundance, at this point his game has really dropped off. If it's super cheap, and expectations are very low, then I suppose it can't hurt, but I have a hard time seeing this guy signing for $700K-$1M. Much more than that, and you're no longer a seven-minute, fourth-line center.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote