HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[CHI/WSH] Troy Brouwer for 26th Pick

Old
06-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Mothra

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post

Yes, I agree that it's not a direct transition. However by the same token though it's not fair to paint him as a complete rookie that won't be ready for the rigors of NHL play.

I'm very confident that by midseason people will be eating a healthy dose of Sjogren crow. For Gods sake we're talking about a third line center that will bring energy, playmaking, and a two way game. I could understand the concern if he was a full time second line Center but we're talking about a guy that could easily thrive in that third line role without killing the cap.

Please hold me to this. By midseason people are going to be singing the praises of a third line that features Eakin and Sjogren. Certainly an upgrade from last years Chimera-MaJo-Strum line.

actually its very fair, seeing thats exactly what he will be, a complete rookie. What is unfair is to assume he will have the 3rd line center position locked in on a team that is supposed to be playing for a deep playoff run.....

even more unfair is expecting a 3rd line with two rookies making a deep run.

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mothra View Post
actually its very fair, seeing thats exactly what he will be, a complete rookie.
True but as far a preparedness for the NHL goes it is much more likely a 23 year old with 6 seasons of playing against men under his belt, the last 3 in a very high quality league, is more ready to contribute than a guy coming out of juniors, IMO anyway.

Am I pencilling in Sjogren to start the season as the 3rd line center? No. Do I expect him to be a contributing member of the Caps over the course of the season? Yeah I do.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
True but as far a preparedness for the NHL goes it is much more likely a 23 year old with 6 seasons of playing against men under his belt, the last 3 in a very high quality league, is more ready to contribute than a guy coming out of juniors, IMO anyway.

Am I pencilling in Sjogren to start the season as the 3rd line center? No. Do I expect him to be a contributing member of the Caps over the course of the season? Yeah I do.
Ive never seen the guy play....so I dont have feelings one way or the other. Either way, what you describe is a rookie. Its not like most rookies come in to the NHL straight from juniors. Most put time in the AHL or one of the Euro pro leagues....

again, the notion of two rookies locking down the 3rd line on whats supposed to be a team with Cup on the mind will lead to heartache IMO...

Old
06-28-2011, 10:43 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
again, the notion of two rookies locking down the 3rd line on whats supposed to be a team with Cup on the mind will lead to heartache IMO...
Don't think we'll see it. I'm guessing one-two guys will be signed/acquired (maybe Gordon one of them) for the center spots in the bottom 6. That's unless they acquire a guy for the 2C, in which case Mojo makes a lot of sense for the 3C.

I'm guessing Sjogren essentially replaces Bradley in the lineup if he makes the NHL club, with some spot duty at the 4C and on the penalty kill.

I agree with your overall sentiment on the issue, I just don't think you have much to worry about.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:51 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Brouwer was fifth in the league in hits last year behind Clutterbuck, TRuutu, Brown & Martin.
Man...I skimmed thru this thread and am really shocked by the people who don't like this trade.

Brouwer is a VERY physical player who can chip in on offense. Outside of Ovechkin the Caps really don't have another player like that. He goes to the net, hits everything the moves and is about a 20 goal player type.

He is EXACTLY the kind of player we need more of!! Sheesh.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:54 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Man...I skimmed thru this thread and am really shocked by the people who don't like this trade.

Brouwer is a VERY physical player who can chip in on offense. Outside of Ovechkin the Caps really don't have another player like that. He goes to the net, hits everything the moves and is about a 20 goal player type.

That's the nature of the Hockey's Future beast. Draft picks are valued more highly here than other places.

I love draft/prospect talk as much as anyone, but the Caps got better with this trade (and significantly so with Laich re-signing). Really like it.

Now, more players that can punish on the forecheck please.

Old
06-28-2011, 10:57 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
That's the nature of the Hockey's Future beast. Draft picks are valued more highly here than other places.

I love draft/prospect talk as much as anyone, but the Caps got better with this trade (and significantly so with Laich re-signing). Really like it.

I'm really curious as to how people would have felt if they'd known that the Caps had already agreed to an extension with Laich at the time (more or less).

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:58 AM
MoJoSauce

Any ideas on how the Laich deal will affect the $ Brouwer wants?

MoJoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:59 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
Any ideas on how the Laich deal will affect the $ Brouwer wants?
It shouldn't have any effect. Brouwer doesn't have the production resume that Laich does, and he's not a pending UFA.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:01 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

I'm in total agreement.

I think its just the nature of this board to overvalue draft picks. Especially late first round draft picks in crappy drafts.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 11:03 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Ive never seen the guy play....so I dont have feelings one way or the other. Either way, what you describe is a rookie. Its not like most rookies come in to the NHL straight from juniors. Most put time in the AHL or one of the Euro pro leagues....
Nobody is denying that Sjogren doesn't fit the NHL criteria for rookie. The guy was a contributing member of a silver medal winning Swedish WC team that contained a decent amount of NHL players. He's a big, strong, physically developed man who is very used to competing against men in high quality competitions.

Your average rookie does not have all of that on their CV. I'm not saying he is a member of the old Soviet Green Unit finally coming to the NHL but I don't feel he is your standard rookie either with respect to being ready for the NHL.

Old
06-28-2011, 11:05 AM
Duke33

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
I'm in total agreement.

I think its just the nature of this board to overvalue draft picks. Especially late first round draft picks in crappy drafts.
That's the key for me as well. The Caps got better with the trade then they would have if they had kept the pick and drafted some kid we wouldn't see at the NHL level for three years.

Duke33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:04 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I'm really curious as to how people would have felt if they'd known that the Caps had already agreed to an extension with Laich at the time (more or less).
i think the balance of the anti brouwer trade posters will also be seen to be poo pooing the laich signing as a bad contract.

enough of the anti trade posters are anti mcphee/anti team front office/ownership that it tilts the overall perception

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 12:55 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Right on.

This kid had more hits than Dustin Brown or was right up there with him. That is very impressive and from the Hawks games I seen he always finishes his checks. A huge step in the right direction.

I agree...we still need more players who can lay wood when forchecking opposing D to wear them down. Ovechkin finally has a little help (outside of 4th liners who play 5-10 mins a game). Our top 9 really lacks in physicality from top to bottom.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:14 PM
FrankM73

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
This.

I love the draft but I have no problem trading the 1st.
Agreed... the 26th pick in a weak fact was not going to see NHL action for likely 3 years if ever...

I was happy with getting a 25 yo winger that averages 3 hits per game... and 20 goals...

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:01 PM
txpd

i like the idea of sjogren, but he's a rookie. he's never played nhl games against nhl players. he's never carried the load of an nhl schedule.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i like the idea of sjogren, but he's a rookie. he's never played nhl games against nhl players. he's never carried the load of an nhl schedule.
Last 2 times we got swedish rookies they played into spring with no problem it seems. With exact same experience of much shorter european season.

Raikkonen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:31 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Last 2 times we got swedish rookies they played into spring with no problem it seems. With exact same experience of much shorter european season.
I'd prefer them to play into the summer with no problem.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:37 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I'd prefer them to play into the summer with no problem.
Last WC was played in May So Sjogren is more experienced in May games =)))

Raikkonen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 02:43 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I am sure some here said the same of Marcus. And maybe even Nick.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Nobody is denying that Sjogren doesn't fit the NHL criteria for rookie. The guy was a contributing member of a silver medal winning Swedish WC team that contained a decent amount of NHL players. He's a big, strong, physically developed man who is very used to competing against men in high quality competitions.

Your average rookie does not have all of that on their CV. I'm not saying he is a member of the old Soviet Green Unit finally coming to the NHL but I don't feel he is your standard rookie either with respect to being ready for the NHL.
And Jiri (or was it Jan?) Dopita was Czech player of the year and won an Olympic Gold Medal....still couldnt play in the NHL

the step up in play from any other league to the NHL is huge....

Old
06-28-2011, 04:32 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
And Jiri (or was it Jan?) Dopita was Czech player of the year and won an Olympic Gold Medal....still couldnt play in the NHL

So basically what we've been arguing about for the last 30 posts is that Sjogren will either work out or not, and that we'll have to wait and see. He projects well but we don't want to get our hopes up.

Fair? Can we move on now?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:59 PM
Mothra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
So basically what we've been arguing about for the last 30 posts is that Sjogren will either work out or not, and that we'll have to wait and see. He projects well but we don't want to get our hopes up.

Fair? Can we move on now?
Feel free to move on whenever you like

Old
06-28-2011, 05:00 PM
Millhaus

Quote:

Dopita was 32 when he came to the NHL. That is a much harder transition to make than as a 23 year old. If I remember correctly he didn't really even want to come over but wanted to give the NHL a shot just to do it.

I think we can all agree that I guess we will see how this all plays out.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:17 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
they did play well but they did not play like veterans. they made rookie mistakes. the lightning burned johansson and carlson and alzner in large part because of their lack of experience.