HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[CHI/WSH] Troy Brouwer for 26th Pick

Old
06-25-2011, 08:13 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
Brooks is versatile. It sounds like Brouwer is as well. Only in his bag of tricks, he hits a ton more, and brings the type of style that results in a few odd fights per year. Again its not the sheer act of fighting, its the style that results in them happening that we need more of. There is no fighting in the playoffs anyways. Its nice to see George again addressing grit again this year, given all the arguing done about it with some here.

He can play both wings and can mesh on any of 4 lines. No PK and doesnt play emergency LD, I could care less.

Quote:
Around 21 or 22 all the players we had interest in were gone.
I think George liked Biggs.

Presser
http://video.capitals.nhl.com/videoc...id=DL|WSH|home

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
My morning after assessment is that this was a good player acquisition but still a bad trade. The Caps need this type of player, but they could have done it for less.

I'm not distraught, but it's still a bad deal in terms of value.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:41 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
A late 1st for a young roster player who has shown he can play well and produce with elite offensive talent. Next year is Brouwer's 4th full NHL season. He's young, still has upside and brings the hitting and grit. Something that SORELY needed on this team. He's also won a Cup as a very young player. I love this pickup by McPhee. These are the types of guys he should be looking to acquire. Now lock him up for 4 years at cheap rate if you can to make it worthwhile.
Well said. The Caps got some grit with a Cup in a draft most have said was/is underwhelming. And the guy is only 25 years old to boot. Just need to resign him now.

WetHog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:48 AM
RandyHolt
Keep Truckin

vCash: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
My morning after assessment is that this was a good player acquisition but still a bad trade. The Caps need this type of player, but they could have done it for less.

I'm not distraught, but it's still a bad deal in terms of value.
Who was to be had for less that brings his game, or how could George have gotten him for less?

I saw that you knew I would applaud the move. George went out and got the guy he wanted. He moved with conviction. I imagine he has seen many players on his finger tips that he missed because he wouldnt pay MARKET price. I know this is prospect central, but its cup central for me.

I do like the move. looking towards the long range future is great but realizing 1st's often bust or dont pan out cant be ignored, esp. with late 1sts year after year. Maybe we were due to bust after Carlson MJ and Kuz. George thought the draft was weak. Is he going to draft another guy that may become boyd gordon in 5 years? Why bother at this point.

Good job George, now get one or two more up front, and the same on D

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:01 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Goph: welcome to the boards. Very lucid and spot on.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:18 AM
Robert Theodorson

Now that this trade is done, like it or not, you have to get someone else that plays like Brouwer and shares his tenacity, don't leave him on a line alone with odd matches.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Who was to be had for less that brings his game, or how could George have gotten him for less?
That's irrelevant to my points, which were that A) the Caps need more of this type of player and B) they overpaid. That's all. Who knows who else was available and what the asking price was?

What I do know is that first round picks are generally overvalued in this league, even in a weak draft year, and you can do better than acquiring an injured unsigned 20 goal scorer with very limited offensive upside.

I'm a GMGM guy, but there's no harm in pointing out that they got hosed on value on this one.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Blades of steel
log off.

vCash: 50
Maybe Mcphee is feeling some win now pressure from the last few seasons the time to win is now. let's not forget Vancouver reportedly was going to trade their 1st (29th) for this same player.

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:33 AM
txpd

lets look in four years to see if there are any players from this draft chosen from 26 on that turns out to be as good or better than brouwer. only that will suggest whether it was overpayment.

my take is that they are going to be few. lets see what brouwer brings in the meantime. the caps have gotten green, carlson, schultz and kuznetsov from this draft region of recent. i think we are a bit spoiled. its very likely that good nhl players will be few in this draft range of this draft.

Last edited by txpd: 06-25-2011 at 09:43 AM.
txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:35 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

I just can't believe we couldn't get a later pick back as well. But that shouldn't hold up a trade if he's a guy u target. Many of us complain cause gmgm isn't bold enough. Doesn't address weaknesses from outside org. Well here he has. It's small, but a step.

I'd still like to see bigger.

And my sarge out and hannan in still stands.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Brouwer's numbers, particularly two years ago, are inflated playing with Toews and Kane. He's really a 3rd liner.

I'm at a loss for words. I thought GMGM values 1sts.
And Laich's numbers are inflated by playing with Semin. Laich is also really a 3rd liner.

What do you think McPhee should have gotten for that pick?

I don't get many on this board. As a group I think everyone felt the Caps needed to get bigger, stronger, harder to play against, and ideally add cup winning experience. Brouwer does all of that. And at only 25 Brouwer could be a Cap for a long time.

He is a big, strong, size using, frequent hitting, willing to fight, capable of potting 20+ goals complementary forward. Laich is a better playmaker, defensively, and more versatile in that he can also play center but he doesn't do a lot of what Brouwer does. And Laich is likely to be making around $2 mil more per season than Brouwer will for the next few years at least.

I don't have a problem with the deal at all and definitely feel it makes the team better by adding an element that was definitely missing.

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:42 AM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Like it for both teams, Chicago thought he was too expansive for their taste and we need to win now, with this trade George showing willingness to do so.

Last edited by Vladiator16*: 06-25-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:46 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

For reference's sake, RFA compensation:

More than $1,567,043 -- $3,134,088: Second-round pick

More than $3,134,088 -- $4,701,131: First and third-round pick

I'm guessing Brouwer's signed for something in the upper end of the 2nd rounder range.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:47 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

This is a good deal for Washington, in the world of a $64 million cap where Ovechkin and Backstrom are on pretty cheap contracts, $2-$2.5 million for a 20 goal winger with some intangibles isn't bad.

The first rounder...talk to me in 7 years if it's an issue.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Marshall
Hi beat writers!

vCash: 50
Still confused by the overpaid thing.

Getting an actual player, who has Cup-winning experience and brings much-needed size and grit, vice a player in a bad draft who may or may not help in 5 years.

The Caps' scouting staff has done a good job the past few drafts in getting guys later in the 1st round (Russian factor included on Kuznetsov) and suddenly they looked at this draft and passed up a gem?

Don't buy it.

Good trade.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

I've honestly warmed to the trade, but to those saying he's an adequate replacement for Laich that's wishful thinking. He's not as versatile, nor as good defensively and offensively. I wish this would signal the end of Fehr here, but that's wishful thinking.

Capitlols is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:22 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
For reference's sake, RFA compensation:

More than $1,567,043 -- $3,134,088: Second-round pick

More than $3,134,088 -- $4,701,131: First and third-round pick

I'm guessing Brouwer's signed for something in the upper end of the 2nd rounder range.
Supposedly Brouwer is asking for $2.5 mil per. I would expect he can be signed for a bit less than that, say $2.25 mil per. I'm fine with either of those personally.

Do the Caps have their 2nd round pick next year and if so are you saying the Caps should have kept their 1st this year and planned on offer sheeting Brouwer instead? If so the report of Vancouver dealing the 29th overall for him would have short circuited that plan.

I'm not saying you were saying any of that, just covering my bases in case you were.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
I've honestly warmed to the trade, but to those saying he's an adequate replacement for Laich that's wishful thinking. He's not as versatile, nor as good defensively and offensively. I wish this would signal the end of Fehr here, but that's wishful thinking.
I think he is just as good a goal scorer, versatile in that he can play on any forward line but not as versatile as Laich as he can't play center or take draws, though Laich didn't play much center in DC, but definitely agree he isn't the defensive player Laich is.

Of course Laich is not the big, strong, aggressive, hard to play against player Brouwer is. Brouwer also has a ring, is younger, and likely is going to have about a $2 mil less cap hit.

I'm fine with the deal in that I feel like the Caps have the players in place to go a long way toward making up for what they are going to lose by letting Laich go. I don't feel like they had anyone to bring what Brouwer brings. Plus that $2 mil to spend elsewhere could be very important.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:32 AM
Drake1588
UNATCO

I like Brouwer, and I don't think much of Laich at his imminent salary range. IF someone grabs him for $2.5M, then fine, you're getting a nice deal, but Laich is going to get a lot more than that.

Ink Brouwer for $2M or $2.5M a year, for two/three years, and I'm happy. It's better cap management. He goes to the net as much as Laich, is grittier than Laich, is cheaper than Laich, has won more than Laich, and is a better leader.

As for this draft, McPhee clearly does not think much of it, and has not all year. Time will tell if that's an accurate read on this crop.

Drake1588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:44 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post

Getting an actual player, who has Cup-winning experience and brings much-needed size and grit, vice a player in a bad draft who may or may not help in 5 years.

The Caps' scouting staff has done a good job the past few drafts in getting guys later in the 1st round (Russian factor included on Kuznetsov) and suddenly they looked at this draft and passed up a gem?

Don't buy it.

Good trade.
This.

I love the draft but I have no problem trading the 1st.

06-25-2011, 11:56 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post

Don't buy it.

Good trade.
its hard to come to any of those conclusions if you are predisposed to believing mcphee is a goof.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:57 AM
pga5

Maybe I'm missing something, but there's no Stanley Cup winning experience in this year's draft. Let's see: A gritty guy, a Cup winner--both useful for the Capitals--for unknown entity who has a 40 percent chance of becoming the next Sasha Pokulok? Why are we having this discussion? We must enjoy the nice shiny object.

I also find it curious how Hawks fans come by and say Brouwer wasn't worth the first rounder, especially since he's arbitration eligible and will likely seek $2-$2.5M/yr. Meanwhile, they just gave up Campbell to Florida for Olesz, an oft-injured forward who they'll pay $3M/yr. Campbell's contract is heavy, but the Hawks record with him in/out of their lineup is almost night and day. Unless they turn their newfound cap space into something big on 1 July, they've just given away a pair of guys who won the Cup for someone who may never play an NHL game and an injury magnet. That may be considered risky.

pga5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:00 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Get rid of Campbell was all about keeping Sharp. Totally apples and oranges from this deal, whether you like it or not.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:06 PM
pga5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I like Brouwer, and I don't think much of Laich at his imminent salary range. IF someone grabs him for $2.5M, then fine, you're getting a nice deal, but Laich is going to get a lot more than that.

Ink Brouwer for $2M or $2.5M a year, for two/three years, and I'm happy. It's better cap management. He goes to the net as much as Laich, is grittier than Laich, is cheaper than Laich, has won more than Laich, and is a better leader.

As for this draft, McPhee clearly does not think much of it, and has not all year. Time will tell if that's an accurate read on this crop.
Laich at $4-$5M per year in a multi-year deal. Wow. It's almost predictable someone's going to be looking to unload that contract in a couple of years.

And it is true McPhee dumped all over the 2011 draft even going back to the 2009-10 season.

Old
06-25-2011, 12:34 PM
pga5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Get rid of Campbell was all about keeping Sharp. Totally apples and oranges from this deal, whether you like it or not.
Sharp's extension was going to cost them $4M/yr extra?

The Hawks are going to have to add a defenseman, and everyone knows it.