HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[CHI/WSH] Troy Brouwer for 26th Pick

Old
06-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Robert Theodorson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
This is a good deal for Washington, in the world of a $64 million cap where Ovechkin and Backstrom are on pretty cheap contracts, $2-$2.5 million for a 20 goal winger with some intangibles isn't bad.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Robert Theodorson

Would have rather had Jenner, Musil, or Phillips all were avaliable @ 26 overall

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
Would have rather had Jenner, Musil, or Phillips all were avaliable @ 26 overall
They won't make it to the NHL until 3+ years from now...The Caps are trying to win now.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:50 PM
Burgh32

It is worth repeating that this guy is only entering his fourth season. He still has room to grow and improve upon many aspects of his game. A lot of guys don't even breakout until their fourth season.

Burgh32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Dirtbag59

"I want grit I want grit. I hate Euros. Euros are soft. Give me North American players because all of them have grit. Grit Grit Grit."

Okay here you go. A big physical gritty North American. Finally get a player that fits the most overused word on this forum and people STILL complain.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:55 PM
third man in

Quote:
And this is why you're a message board troll instead of working in a front office for a team.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:51 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I liked that people were saying Brouwer fought because Ovie, Backstrom, Semin and Green need guys to watch their back. Brashear was great at that. The Caps were much more brave.

This year, Boudreau didn't play King and King wasn't too good when did get in. As it turned out, the Caps were spineless this year.

Brouwer will help a little but I was disappointed to find he isn't really a fighter. That's not gonna be a big part of what he brings. McPhee could've used that 1st rounder better IMO. But it's not the worst trade ever or anything.

Btw, I saw on the main board that you consider yourself anti-McPhee. I was surprised because you support him here more than just about anyone these days.
I don't consider myself pro or anti-McPhee....I criticize him, just not overly zealous about it.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by pga5 View Post
Sharp's extension was going to cost them $4M/yr extra?

The Hawks are going to have to add a defenseman, and everyone knows it.
Campbell is 32 yrs old and coming off a 27 pt season and makes 7.1M + in actual salary as his cap hit for next 5 years

Hawks will probably give Olesz a chance to see if he can turn things around but if he doesn't he will have final 2 years of his contract buried after Huet comes off books in summer of 2012

Also Sharp can be resigned next year and our longterm cap health is fine and we are no longer burdended with that contract

Hawks right now assuming Frolik/Campoli are resigned

?-Toews-Kane
?-Sharp-Hossa
Olesz-Bolland-Frolik
Bickell-?-Smith
?

Keith-Seabrook
Hjalmarsson-?
Leddy-Campoli
Scott

Crawford
Salak

So nearly 15M (Before Frolik/Campoli are signed) to fill out roster and no more cap troubles for Blackhawks going forward

Its far more easy to deal with a bad contract of 3 yrs at 3.1M cap hit then 5 years at 7.1M cap hit

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:11 PM
Ridley Simon

Good Trade

Unless you simply don't like Brouwer, McPhee, or love the 26th pick, its a good trade.

Caps got a player that helps today, and adds to our offensive depth while bringing demension the team doesn't currently have. Bradley is out...lets see what the forwards look like while keeping Laich?

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Knuble
xxxx -MaJo-Semin
Brouwer-Laich-Fehr
Chimera-Gordon-Beagle
King-Eakin?

I like the group, but unless we resign Arnott or someone...we need a top 9 forward. That 3rd line has interesting parts, but I'm not sure I really like the blends here. We have a ton of flexibilty and more grit, but we need a vet forward that adds an edge. Arnott wouldn't be bad either if the cost was right.

Laich-Majo-Semin
Brouwer-Arnott-Chimera
Beagle-Gordon-Fehr

How would be blend this?

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:28 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Unless you simply don't like Brouwer, McPhee, or love the 26th pick, its a good trade.

Caps got a player that helps today, and adds to our offensive depth while bringing demension the team doesn't currently have. Bradley is out...lets see what the forwards look like while keeping Laich?

xxxx -MaJo-Semin
Brouwer-Laich-Fehr
Chimera-Gordon-Beagle
King-Eakin?

I like the group, but unless we resign Arnott or someone...we need a top 9 forward. That 3rd line has interesting parts, but I'm not sure I really like the blends here. We have a ton of flexibilty and more grit, but we need a vet forward that adds an edge. Arnott wouldn't be bad either if the cost was right.

Laich-Majo-Semin
Brouwer-Arnott-Chimera
Beagle-Gordon-Fehr

How would be blend this?
Yet another person that leaves out the $1.8 million dollar man. Sjogren. NO RESPECT!

Old
06-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

If McPhee isn't counting on Brouwer to take the 2W spot formerly occupied by Laich, I'm happy with the trade. If he is, I'm not.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:39 PM
Stewie G

Quote:

xxxx -MaJo-Semin
Brouwer-Laich-Fehr
Chimera-Gordon-Beagle
King-Eakin?

Laich-Majo-Semin
Brouwer-Arnott-Chimera
Beagle-Gordon-Fehr

How would be blend this?
At the very least, I'd probably swap Fehr and Chimera. Fehr needs to play with guys with better offensive skills. He doesn't strike me as a fourth liner, although that unfortunately is about the number of minutes he gets each game. I have no idea how fast Brouwer is, although if he isn't very fast, that would make that 3rd line pretty slow.

I think Laich's salary demands will be one of the biggest determining factors. If he wants north of $3.5M, I hope they let him go. That moves Brouwer up to 2LW, makes a 3rd line of Chimera-Arnott-Fehr, and something like Beagle-Gordon-Hendricks on 4. Putting a finisher like Fehr on a line with speedy stone hands and a wily distributer like Arnott seems like it would work well.

I'd also be OK if they swap some of the wingers on the 3rd and 4th lines with free agents. Hendricks hit the Great Wall of China at the end of the year. I don't know if we'll see a repeat of that again, but combined with the fact that I feel he was one of the worst PKers, I'd be fine if they moved on. They could also keep him as the 13th forward and try to move King.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:20 PM
goph94
Freezing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
They won't make it to the NHL until 3+ years from now...The Caps are trying to win now.
If even at all.

Stockpiling assets is great, especially for a team that is in full-out rebuild mode. But at some point, the focus needs to be on winning NOW. That time is obviously here for the Caps, and I'm glad to see GMGM recognizes that the window is currently open.

They're also doing it without, in their opinion, sacrificing the future. In their estimation if there isn't a player at 26 worth waiting to develop, then a guy like Brouwer definitely represents good value considering the alternative. I for one, am confident in Ross Mahoney and Co's ability to make that determination. I think they're established a pretty solid track record and deserve the benefit of the doubt.

goph94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:05 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Ov-backstrom-knuble
Cole-mojo-semin
Laich-eakin-Brouwer
Chimera-Sjogren-Hendricks
Beagle

Jovanoski / Hannan - green
Alzner - Carlson
Orlov - wideman

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Codependent
Fail for Nail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
If McPhee isn't counting on Brouwer to take the 2W spot formerly occupied by Laich, I'm happy with the trade. If he is, I'm not.
Again, these are mutually exclusive issues. If you like the trade, you like the trade. If George lets Brooks go and he signs a deal somewhere else you felt they should have matched, then it makes sense to disagree with his handling of those negotiations or with his assessment that they need to go in a different direction or what have you, but I fail to see how our evaluation of the Brouwer trade should be based on George's take on Laich.

Codependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:14 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
obnoxious gif
Just watch what Stamkos and Crosby sign for on their next deal.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Yet another person that leaves out the $1.8 million dollar man. Sjogren. NO RESPECT!
LOL. 900k a year?

I will pencil Sjogren into a starting spot when he's earned one ....and played in an actual NHL game. You know, kinda all the other starting forwards listed above have??

If you want me to add him as depth question mark, similar as I did Eakin, then yeah...I missed him, sorry.

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:30 PM
HTFN

I don't think it's coincidence that Sjogren's m.o. is a hard hitting forward on the left side, or center. With hits aplenty Brouwer on the right, and some skill, that's a good line for Eakin or Johansson.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:37 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
LOL. 900k a year?

I will pencil Sjogren into a starting spot when he's earned one ....and played in an actual NHL game. You know, kinda all the other starting forwards listed above have??

If you want me to add him as depth question mark, similar as I did Eakin, then yeah...I missed him, sorry.
Yea but Sjogren is the new DJ King..c'mon play along RS

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Capitlols

Am I the only one that thinks Sjogren will better off as a W, at least initially. His defense and faceoffs worry me.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:33 PM
txpd

probably no more than 90 from last season.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Am I the only one that thinks Sjogren will better off as a W, at least initially. His defense and faceoffs worry me.
The plan though seems to have him played Center and even though I haven't seen him play he seems to get more credit for his playmaking then his scoring.

Quote:
“We are pleased to have Mattias join the Capitals organization,” said McPhee. “He is a big center who has developed very well over the past few seasons and is ready for a new challenge.”
I'm guess either second line winger or third line center is where he's going to play. Either way he's another guy that can take on a Power Forward role. Caps now have 4 with Knubble, Fehr, Bouwer, and Sjogren.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codependent View Post
Again, these are mutually exclusive issues. If you like the trade, you like the trade. If George lets Brooks go and he signs a deal somewhere else you felt they should have matched, then it makes sense to disagree with his handling of those negotiations or with his assessment that they need to go in a different direction or what have you, but I fail to see how our evaluation of the Brouwer trade should be based on George's take on Laich.
The role that Brouwer plays is important in evaluating the trade. I like Brouwer as a grinder and energy guy who can pot some goals. I don't like him as someone who has to create their own offensive chances. Considering the "value" isn't the only important aspect about a trade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
I view him as a winger, as well.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I really hope this is the plan. Brouwer will pick up a few junk goals and secondary points just like Laich. While adding some much needed grit. I think he adds just what we need for half the money. We do loose the versatility that Laich gives us. But its not really needed and should not be paid for if he is not going to play C.

I really think we missed the boat by not giving Laich a real shot at the 2C spot. Now we are in a spot were he will cost to much to have play at 3C. And may not be the best fit. And we dont know if he could play 2C. And with our top heavy cap. He cost to much for what he adds as a wing.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:41 PM
EroCaps

If the Swede and Brouwer are replacements for Bradley and Gordon, that's fine. But until they do something about 28 and the guy behind the bench it's hard to rationally expect much out of this team.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote