HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[CHI/WSH] Troy Brouwer for 26th Pick

Old
06-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Agreed. If they want to replace Laich, sign Erik Cole or trade someone(Fehr/Semin) to retain Laich.
The idea that anyone would feel there is an actual choice between Semin and Laich is ridiculous to me. Laich by himself tops out as a 15-25-40 guy and he is going to get $4.5 mil per from someone. There are plenty of Laich's out there and most of them make significantly less. Semin by himself tops out as a 40+ goal guy and makes $6.7.

Without Semin or someone of similar high quality, read not Laich, this team becomes a one line, easy to shut down one in the playoffs team.

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:59 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
The idea that anyone would feel there is an actual choice between Semin and Laich is ridiculous to me. Laich by himself tops out as a 15-25-40 guy and he is going to get $4.5 mil per from someone. There are plenty of Laich's out there and most of them make significantly less. Semin by himself tops out as a 40+ goal guy and makes $6.7.

Without Semin or someone of similar high quality, read not Laich, this team becomes a one line, easy to shut down one in the playoffs team.
True, so unload the inconsistent one, Semin!!!!

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:40 AM
txpd

curious. did you feel the same way about peter bondra that you feel about semin?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Did people forget Perreault existed or something?
Yeah, after the fourth game of any of his call-ups.

The NHL does, too.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
curious. did you feel the same way about peter bondra that you feel about semin?
I'll take Semin over Bondra any day of the week. Bondra can go to hell for all I care.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:18 AM
txpd

well...ok.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:41 AM
Ibi

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
True, so unload the inconsistent one, Semin!!!!
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

Ibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:49 AM
txpd

i looked at laich's game log. he was not very consistant

Old
06-26-2011, 11:49 AM
dashtary*

I love Bondra, but Semin's in a talent-level of his own. He absolutely HAS to play with a Mojo or Brad Richards to be able to play consistenly. Tired of Perreault, Belanger, Arnott.

dashtary* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i looked at laich's game log. he was not very consistant
Yeah, Laich's offensive game is very inconsistent, and has generally been absent in the playoffs. He is ridiculously overrated.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 12:59 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Laich isn't close to ridiculously overrated. If anything, his all-around game is underrated by Caps fans.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
Yeah, Laich's offensive game is very inconsistent, and has generally been absent in the playoffs. He is ridiculously overrated.
Yeah, but who can change a tire like Brooks? 3.5 M and not a penny more...

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:11 PM
Marshall
The OMalley Sellouts

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Laich isn't close to ridiculously overrated. If anything, his all-around game is underrated by Caps fans.
Nope.

He's overrated, though not by much.

He IS going to make bank this UFA season. Big-time. Toronto keeps popping up, and kinda makes sense.

Ed - I take it back about Laich making sense for Toronto. After a quick perusal of some trade threads, I see -some- Leafs fans making him out to be a player beyond what he is. Mistake mine, maybe I let that shade my thoughts. Wouldn't shock me, though.

Still think he's going to get signed to a 4 year/$16-20 (Yeah, 20) deal. And I wouldn't want the Caps to have that deal.

Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:38 PM
Smiddletown

Ed:redundant

Last edited by Smiddletown: 06-26-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Smiddletown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:45 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Nope.

He's overrated, though not by much.

He IS going to make bank this UFA season. Big-time. Toronto keeps popping up, and kinda makes sense.

Ed - I take it back about Laich making sense for Toronto. After a quick perusal of some trade threads, I see -some- Leafs fans making him out to be a player beyond what he is. Mistake mine, maybe I let that shade my thoughts. Wouldn't shock me, though.

Still think he's going to get signed to a 4 year/$16-20 (Yeah, 20) deal. And I wouldn't want the Caps to have that deal.
I guess it depends on your perspective as to how he's rated.

He's a guy that's averaged 21 goals and 49 points over the last four years. The 49 points would put him in the 90-100 range in points among forwards, and the 21 goals in the same range in goals every single one of those years. So he's pretty much been one of the top 100 most productive offensive forwards in the league.

He can play in all situations, any forward position, and win faceoffs. He's also one of the few Caps players that rarely skirts a defensive assignment, is willing to sacrifice his body, and competes in board battles.

So combine the offensive production with the versatility, special teams, defensive play, and work rate, and I'd say he's probably a top-75 forward all-around in the league.

The only reason I wouldn't give him $4 million per on the Caps is because they've got 3 other forwards at at least $6.7M. If Semin were to be traded, I'd give Laich 4/$16M without hesitation.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashtary View Post
I love Bondra, but Semin's in a talent-level of his own. He absolutely HAS to play with a Mojo or Brad Richards to be able to play consistenly. Tired of Perreault, Belanger, Arnott.
Arnott was fine, in because

A. He went to the net leaving room at the top of the circle and

B. He always made a conscious effort to find Semin and keep him involved.

Of course people want to get rid of Semin just to get rid of Semin and don't realize how much we'll miss have a second sniper and probably never will because we'll always have two. (Ovi and Semin this year Ovi and Kuzy next year). And the funnier thing is people also want to get rid of Mike Green with Semin. It's like great, so now we're risking having no one to spread the defense and make room for Power Forwards because people don't like two of our better players.

Did you guys not see how much the powerplay sucked last year? Why would you want to get rid of two of our best Powerplay guys? Why? Theres a link between the fact that we were 16th in PP% and 19th in GPG (not to mention 4th in GAA and 2nd in PK%).

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:44 PM
syr14

If we could get players in return who could do a better, more consistent job than Semin/Green then I think people would be in favor of moving them. If not then I agree fans will be in for a rude awakening when we are without 2 of our more skilled players.

syr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 02:55 PM
Foy

I think Semin is our most underrated player, when I see how much people hate on him. He's been clutch for us at times, he's dominated playoff series at times. Sure he's disappeared at times, but he's also a player that has learned how to kill penalties very well (I would attribute our improved PK to his participation), and vastly improved his off puck play as well. He's cut down on the stupid penalties he's taken, unfortunately, he now gets a lot of reputation calls, due to a reputation he clearly earned earlier in his career. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is.

Is he still streaky as hell, and often times stupid? Absolutely. But most snipers are streaky. Bondra sure as hell was, and while Semin went off and played in another league like Bondra did, at least Semin hasn't used fan loyalty to get a better contract from another team in the division.

Last edited by Foy: 06-26-2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old
06-26-2011, 03:04 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
I think Varly may be our most underrated player. Was our most underrated from the sounds of it. Just what I feared as soon as I heard Neuvy was starting game 4.

Our PP sucked with Semin and Green on it. I would change coaches or at least an assistant before moving them thinking it will help improve our PP woes.

We need an injection of what Brouwer brings regardless if we have Green and Semin. We have some cap room. Moving them is not imperative to improve our team. We have all seen them perform.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:13 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
I'll take Semin over Bondra any day of the week. Bondra can go to hell for all I care.
Spoken like a scorned little girl....

For someone who holds a lifetime grudge against Bondra, you're sure quick to forget that Semin deserted the Caps until they forced him to return.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:15 PM
Foy

Healthy Varly is a very underrated player, I'll agree to that. I just worry abotu his long term durability. I don't think Neuvirth well ever be much more than he is now.

Old
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
Spoken like a scorned little girl....

For someone who holds a lifetime grudge against Bondra, you're sure quick to forget that Semin deserted the Caps until they forced him to return.
So you are claiming I forgot something that I reference two posts above your post?

Old
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think Varly may be our most underrated player. Was our most underrated from the sounds of it. Just what I feared as soon as I heard Neuvy was starting game 4.

Our PP sucked with Semin and Green on it. I would change coaches or at least an assistant before moving them thinking it will help improve our PP woes.

We need an injection of what Brouwer brings regardless if we have Green and Semin. We have some cap room. Moving them is not imperative to improve our team. We have all seen them perform.
True, but they were also there when it was up to 25%. I agree on the coaching though. Something needs to be done, weather its confidence or strategy. However theres little doubt that on paper no one has a better first powerplay unit then us. Ovi, Semin, Backstrom, Green, Knuble. Extremely scary when all those guys are on their game.

I keep on getting the feeling that the solution this year will be similar to the PK's last year. In other words a viable second unit which they can at least put together at the back with Wideman and Carlson. I guess the front would be Majo, Bouwer, and maybe someone like Eakin.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:18 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
So you are claiming I forgot something that I reference two posts above your post?
How about quick to ignore instead? Obviously you choose to ignore one guy who abandoned his teammates and franchise while the other simply played the contract game...HUGE difference in bolting the country and going to play for a team to stay in game shape while the contract game gets played out.

You're feeling scorned, we get it...emotion clouds judgement.

And Semin has NO fan loyalty to use....or else he and his shady agent would...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
And Semin has NO fan loyalty to use....or else he and his shady agent would...
Agreed completely on this. But Semin has never demanded a trade like Bondra did on 3 separate occasions. It was never the spurned lover thing for me and Bondra. I NEVER liked him as much as most Caps fans did. Between multiple trade demands, going off and playing in the IHL, then crying like a baby that he never wanted to be traded, when his agent had asked for it several times over the years. Then there was the whole leveraging Caps fan loyalty for a contract from Atlanta, followed by his agent announcing the Caps' offer was an insult, and that he was getting paid triple by Atlanta, and throwing GMGM under the bus, when GMGM actually offered Bondra more money guaranteed than anyone else did.