HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs draft Nathan Beaulieu 17th overall!

Old
06-27-2011, 08:40 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 500
very happy with this pick should be great help down the line

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:54 PM
JustAHabFan

Subban has graduated. With Beaulieu, we will have a good prospect to talk about in the next couple of years.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 08:58 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Thanks. He's right about Mcd, terrible waste of a key asset IMO. I just can't beleive the Ranger's couldn't been forced into a lower return for Gomez. Never even heard a whisper about another taker for him.
Two other team were in...heard that in the Leafs behind the scene draft...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I'd heard otherwise. Columbus was supposedly in on Gomez too. They'd have needed a center also and care more about becoming respectable now so they don't lose their fanbase rather than the future.
I also remember Burke saying he was interested in Gomez during an interview.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
Another team with center depth issues and money to spend. Baring the insanity of Holmgren this summer, guys who can play top-6 center don't move much and when they do they command assets, which to his credit, Holmgren got. There is a reason Gomez got that contract in the first place, more teams than New York would have been putting up serious dollars for his services.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 01:18 AM
parachutist

this goal is just sick

parachutist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:36 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Another team with center depth issues and money to spend. Baring the insanity of Holmgren this summer, guys who can play top-6 center don't move much and when they do they command assets, which to his credit, Holmgren got. There is a reason Gomez got that contract in the first place, more teams than New York would have been putting up serious dollars for his services.
That's way too much common sense. Some brains will overload.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 08:51 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I have to clean something off my keyboard from that goal.

PK Subban much?

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:12 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
That's way too much common sense. Some brains will overload.
Cannot compute cannot compute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

PK Subban much?
Can compute can compute!

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Hadn't heard about either Columbus or TO's interest. Thanks for the heads up.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 09:57 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun2083 View Post
the only other player i would have been happy with at that spot was McNeil.
but ultimately im happy with Beaulieu too
Going in I heard a lot about us taking McNeil. Big center would've been nice.

That being said, from everything I've heard about Beaulieu, we got a great player and I trust our scouting staff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
He said it was a very good pick and we are lucky that he slipped to us. Thats about it. He got side tracked and went off about how big of a mistake trading Mcdonagh was and that we had to replenish our Defensive depth.
I still don't get why we traded him away. Why did we deal this guy? Did management lose faith in him or something? Why trade away a good young blueliner with potential?
Quote:
He can have him. A first round pick from TO should do it right?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:13 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
A first round pick from TO should do it right?
Burke is dumb enough to give 2 first rounders so let's get 2!

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:15 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by parachutist View Post
this goal is just sick

Yeah, this is wiiiiild!

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:21 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

PK Subban much?
That's exactly what came to my mind, then I see his twitter update yesterday was #swag.

Bealieu is Subban except he plays the white way!

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:24 PM
windycity

Darren Pang

I was watching when he said that, thought I misheard for a second

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:29 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
Yeah, this is wiiiiild!
Nice. PK part 2.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:40 PM
shamrun

Quote:
this goal is just sick

that goal was ridiculous

shamrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:46 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullsmith View Post
Damn, I wanted to here what McGuire thought about Bealieu on Melnik today, but I missed it. Anyone got a precis?
He also said that if it were him, and Beaulieu was off the board like he should have been, McNeill was the guy he really liked at that spot. He said that the rest of their draft was not that exciting but you can't expect much when you start drafting in the 4th round. I also went on to explain that they drafted so many D because their D cupboard is pretty bare, and that the McDonagh created a perpetual negative snowball effect. Can't really disagree with anything he said, though i'm pretty happy with our secondary picks--of course it's way to early to get any kind of read on those players.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:09 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
He also said that if it were him, and Beaulieu was off the board like he should have been, McNeill was the guy he really liked at that spot. He said that the rest of their draft was not that exciting but you can't expect much when you start drafting in the 4th round. I also went on to explain that they drafted so many D because their D cupboard is pretty bare, and that the McDonagh created a perpetual negative snowball effect. Can't really disagree with anything he said, though i'm pretty happy with our secondary picks--of course it's way to early to get any kind of read on those players.
Negative snowball effect? How'd he sell that one.

When McDonagh was traded it was from a position of strength in defensive prospects which has yielded Subban, Weber and Yemelin to the top squad. The defensive prospect depth is weak due to graduation, which is exactly how prospect depth should be depleted if you're doing it right. McDonagh would just be another guy cracking the lineup this year or the last, he'd do nothing for the future depth which is the issue.

I've long suspected McGuire's comments to the Montreal media to typically be part of a long standing campaign to become the Habs GM so I take his management bashing with several grains of salt.

As for the after 4th round picks, Timmins is one of the best in the business at that so I expect a bunch of them to be off people's lists. They'd be guys you wait another two years before seeing if they have a future anyway.

Old
06-28-2011, 05:23 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Probably because saying that the Habs GM sucks is something fans and the guys at the Team 990 will accept with no challenge. One of those widely accepted narratives with a touch of all-black-or-all-white thrown in.

That this "negative snowball effect snowball effect" resulted in the Habs headed to hit July 1st with no less than four RFA-aged, NHL-caliber defensemen probably is not something anybody involved would notice.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 05:54 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
this goal is just sick

Bottle-knocker too. What a goal.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:02 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Bottle-knocker too. What a goal.
Seems like he plays either side rather well, could be a great partner for Subban on the PP in a few years. One-timer potential from both sides, both have the ability to get in close and beat PKers with fancy moves.

I like!

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 06:04 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

When McDonagh was traded it was from a position of strength in defensive prospects which has yielded Subban, Weber and Yemelin to the top squad. The defensive prospect depth is weak due to graduation, which is exactly how prospect depth should be depleted if you're doing it right. McDonagh would just be another guy cracking the lineup this year or the last, he'd do nothing for the future depth which is the issue.
That's irrelevant though.

If you're going to view McD as an asset, then manage the asset properly. Even if we agree with you, just because you have strength at a particular position, it doesn't mean that other clubs do. You don't go out and squander an asset that has value on an overpriced, underperformer who doesn't address our real needs. It made zero sense to give him away the way we did.

Only three more years of 'When are we going to find a team to take Gomez' threads though, so that's a plus.
Quote:
I've long suspected McGuire's comments to the Montreal media to typically be part of a long standing campaign to become the Habs GM so I take his management bashing with several grains of salt.

As for the after 4th round picks, Timmins is one of the best in the business at that so I expect a bunch of them to be off people's lists. They'd be guys you wait another two years before seeing if they have a future anyway.
I think Timmins is great too. It's too bad we haven't given him higher picks to work with and it's too bad that we've been so bad at managing our assets the way we have. We'd be in a much better position than we are now.

Drafting hasn't been the problem though, that's for sure. We've drafted extremely well for where we've picked and we've been esp good at drafting talent in the later rounds.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:37 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
That's irrelevant though.

If you're going to view McD as an asset, then manage the asset properly. Even if we agree with you, just because you have strength at a particular position, it doesn't mean that other clubs do. You don't go out and squander an asset that has value on an overpriced, underperformer who doesn't address our real needs. It made zero sense to give him away the way we did.
I disagree on whether he didn't address a need. He was a historically strong and consistant ES producer, something that fell of this year but is likely to return. Better then Koivu who was very PP dependant. If he made 5.5 million a year then it was absolutely the right move to do if they wanted to remain competitive. Then next question is whether the overpayment was worth the player. I think its hurt, but the only player lost due to cap has been Moore and he was well replaced by Eller and Halpern. It hasn't been the millstone some have made it out to be as the rest of the team's salary structure is quiet reasonable.

All this is tangental to my point that McGuire is talking out of his ass about a supposed snowball effect. If McDonagh was here he'd be in the same situation as Subban, Weber, Diaz and Yemelin with regards to the NHL lineup. The defensive prospect issue is more from a very weak 2008 draft and a focus on forwards for 2009.
Is thesis is unsupportable.

This does not mean that I wouldn't rather have McDonagh than not but I also understand the reasons for why he was dealt.

Quote:
Only three more years of 'When are we going to find a team to take Gomez' threads though, so that's a plus.

I think Timmins is great too. It's too bad we haven't given him higher picks to work with and it's too bad that we've been so bad at managing our assets the way we have. We'd be in a much better position than we are now.

Drafting hasn't been the problem though, that's for sure. We've drafted extremely well for where we've picked and we've been esp good at drafting talent in the later rounds.
Asset management is the one aspect of the GM regime that I really think poorly of. I think the Hab's wealth and solid drafting ability has spoilled them on the need to husband resources.

Old
06-28-2011, 06:59 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
I disagree on whether he didn't address a need. He was a historically strong and consistant ES producer, something that fell of this year but is likely to return. Better then Koivu who was very PP dependant. If he made 5.5 million a year then it was absolutely the right move to do if they wanted to remain competitive. Then next question is whether the overpayment was worth the player. I think its hurt, but the only player lost due to cap has been Moore and he was well replaced by Eller and Halpern. It hasn't been the millstone some have made it out to be as the rest of the team's salary structure is quiet reasonable.
I get what you're saying. But first of all, he didn't make 5.5 million a year, he made a heck of a lot more. I know you're saying that he filled the role but you can't just ignore the cash he made. It's a huge factor. Esp when he's not filling the role that we REALLY needed.

Secondly, our need was a legitimate 1st line center. It's been our need for over a decade now and we have failed to address it. Gomez at best, is no better than what we already had and he makes exponentially more. It was a terrible move and I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise. I really don't care if his 5 on 5 is better than Koivu's if he doesn't manage to put up the same overall points. He's also not nearly as good at scoring goals and has no physical edge whatsoever.

As for McD. I think that one is going to haunt us, but I guess there's nothing to do now but sit back and see how this one turns out.
Quote:
All this is tangental to my point that McGuire is talking out of his ass about a supposed snowball effect. If McDonagh was here he'd be in the same situation as Subban, Weber, Diaz and Yemelin with regards to the NHL lineup. The defensive prospect issue is more from a very weak 2008 draft and a focus on forwards for 2009.
Is thesis is unsupportable.

This does not mean that I wouldn't rather have McDonagh than not but I also understand the reasons for why he was dealt.
Sure. Deal him. But don't give him away. I think that was McGuire's point. We gave away a key prospect for basically nothing and when you do that, it catches up to you. You're right in so far that our prospect pool has graduated, but you always want to have a farm to draw from. Unless you are a true contender fighting for a cup, and then it starts to make sense to deal prospects for the vets that can put you over. That certainly wasn't the case here.
Quote:
Asset management is the one aspect of the GM regime that I really think poorly of. I think the Hab's wealth and solid drafting ability has spoilled them on the need to husband resources.
Hopefully we can turn it around. But don't look now, Wiz might be the next guy we let walk out the door for nothing in return.

Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 06-28-2011 at 07:17 PM.