HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

With the #28 pick in the first round, Wild select Zack Phillips (now signed to ELC)

Old
06-30-2011, 10:22 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
The biggest question is why is his skating bad? If it's bad because of technique (which is what I've been hearing) that can be improved through coaching. If it's bad because of missing athletic qualities, or something like deformed knees, then you have a problem.
Or in Shep's case, ginormous feet.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2011, 11:23 AM
LemaireisGOD

vCash: 500
Not by much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
You can improve speed through skating technique and lifting.
I don't care if its sprinting or skating; you can lift a ton, you can do all kinds of plyometrics, run with a chute or resistance bands...and it won't change your speed that much. You might be able to shave a 1-3 tenths of a second but to put it in running terms. You're not going to go from being a 5.2 40yd time to a 4.4. If you went from a 5.2 to 4.9 you'd be ecstatic and even if you continue to lift like crazy you will have plateaued and you won't see anymore improvement.

Speed is something you can't really change with just technique. Its more about your athletic gifts. Acceleration can be enhanced a little, but not so much to turn a player from having average speed to suddenly being fast.

By the way, I have watched Phillips in many full games to understand his skating. He's slow, there's no getting around it. So even if he improves to average it will help him but doesn't having a slower player limit a line if they can't race up the ice with as much speed because the centerman can't keep pace with the wings?

As far as Koivu goes; his lack of speed does make it tougher for the Wild to forecheck. I think he could do ok with speedy linemates because he may be fast enough; but Phillips he has to improve if he wants to avoid being a detriment to the line IMO.

I am going to take a wild guess, and say that a lot more was told and known to Zack Phillips about strength, speed and acceleration training than was told to Andrew Brunette when he was Zack's age.

LemaireisGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Maybe it seems like a weird bump but I thought it was time to do it.

Both him and Brodin are 1st round pick anyways.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:46 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Outside of the Subway Series, has he had any games since Huberdeau's injury?

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 12:55 PM
forthewild

His skating looked fine at the prospect camp, sure he idnt the fastest but he posses other qualities, like his vision, he was just in the right place to make a play and score, he is a two way player.

Plus he should get developmental time with the ahl team so he doesnt need to rush

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:04 PM
nickschultzfan

Phillips is going to be steal where we got him. Speed is awesome, but it's not the only thing in hockey. Phillips has a lot of tools.

He could easily be a solid 2nd line center and he has the offensive skill to play on the 1st line.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:09 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Phillips is going to be steal where we got him. Speed is awesome, but it's not the only thing in hockey. Phillips has a lot of tools.

He could easily be a solid 2nd line center and he has the offensive skill to play on the 1st line.
My only concern is that, while speed isn't necessary for every player, you need a little speed from someone on the line. The reason our Lats-Koivu-Heatley line has spent so much time in their own end is a lack of speed for the breakout. Some better puck movement by the D would help this out a lot, but really that line needs someone with wheels on it.

Looking to the future, Koivu's no speedster, and Granlund's skating is one of his few down points. If we have Koivu, Granlund, and Phillips with lead boots in the top 6, we almost need all three other forwards to have Setoguchi style speed.

Old
11-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Phillips looks like he could be better with the puck than Koivu or Heatley though.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 01:38 PM
lacrosseguy

Phillips skating frankly is now one of his strengths. I was in Quebec City last night and was blown away with his top end speed. His 1-2-3 has improved but is not elite level. Another summer training with Minny should do it.
What he needs to be a good NHL'er player is about 10 lbs of muscle. He willingly goes to all the battle areas but at times his 185lbs isnt enough, lol. He is not your typical skilled guy who plays on the perimeter, he goes everywhere with enthusiasm I am going to watch the WHL versus the Russians and Ill let you know about Bulmer who Im very bullish on.
Minnesota(Fletcher/Flahr) in the circles I travel is getting alot of praise for their drafting.
Bit of a logjam upfront with young prospects with significant upside--potentially pending Minnys play off push/potential somebody could be moved--pure speculation on my part, lol !

lacrosseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacrosseguy View Post
Phillips skating frankly is now one of his strengths. I was in Quebec City last night and was blown away with his top end speed. His 1-2-3 has improved but is not elite level. Another summer training with Minny should do it.
What he needs to be a good NHL'er player is about 10 lbs of muscle. He willingly goes to all the battle areas but at times his 185lbs isnt enough, lol. He is not your typical skilled guy who plays on the perimeter, he goes everywhere with enthusiasm I am going to watch the WHL versus the Russians and Ill let you know about Bulmer who Im very bullish on.
Minnesota(Fletcher/Flahr) in the circles I travel is getting alot of praise for their drafting.
Bit of a logjam upfront with young prospects with significant upside--potentially pending Minnys play off push/potential somebody could be moved--pure speculation on my part, lol !
Thanks for the info.

I agree, eventually you run out of spots if all your prospects reach their potential. Some probably won't, but still, if the trade deadline comes around and you can add a piece that puts you over the top, you can't have too many blue chippers.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Fel 96
JFC

He scored tonight.

That makes his scoring streak to 17 games now.

Old
11-22-2011, 08:18 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
saw your tweet. Awesome!!!! That trade looked good when Fletcher made it. It's looking better and better!

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Fel 96
JFC

I might get the footage of his goal at around 10:45 tonight.

Old
11-22-2011, 09:21 PM
lacrosseguy

Aside from the consecutive scoring team record he just accomplished tonight, he leades the entire CHL in plus/minus witha plus 26 in only 24 games.
Team is depleted with injuries, Huberdeau/Jurco/Galiev all out of lineup which makes what he is doing all the more significant.

lacrosseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Phillips' Goal

Old
11-22-2011, 11:13 PM
edgevolution
GO USA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Damn, that was a hell of a shot

edgevolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:35 AM
Averman
Ya, Yeo Betcha

Why is Coyle generally considered a better prospect than Phillips? Size?

I know that it's probably not something that's necessarily taken into account when ranking prospects individually, but Phillips seems like a better complement to Granlund.

Averman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:38 AM
Chrisd

Phillips

I really like the kid, I can see him being a future 25 goal guy.

However, with all due respect to Coyle and Phillips.......I myself prefer Zucker to both. Zucker to me has the talent/grit and speed to be a big time player.

He's the wilds 2nd best offensive prospect in my opinion.

Chrisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 01:51 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averman View Post

I know that it's probably not something that's necessarily taken into account when ranking prospects individually, but Phillips seems like a better complement to Granlund.
people blew his skating ability or lack of out of proportion, made him sound like it was a massive liability of his, also Coyle had a very strong rookie year and a very very good WJC.

imo i prefer phillips i think he will be a stud for us

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 07:41 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Averman View Post

They were selected at similar points in the draft, but Coyle has a full year of development under his belt. Phillips sort of rose from the depths last season (iirc he wasn't even in the "top 60" at the beginning of the year) to be selected late in the first round. If they both keep performing like they are this season, Phillips could surpass Coyle in value.

Old
11-23-2011, 09:00 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Right now I'd say:

Granlund
Phillips
Brodin
Larssson
Zucker
Haula
Coyle

Granted I haven't watched everyone but I'm really excited about Phillips. I don't get any of the hype about Coyle, he seems like Koivu, a 2nd-3rd liner with size who plays sound defense but doesn't score.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:11 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Someone else said it in a different thread in another forum, but in an ideal world Coyle becomes Jordan Staal-lite. An elite 3rd line center who is fully capable of plugging in on the 2nd or even 1st line if need be, as well pitch in on the powerplay on top of the shutdown role.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 09:30 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Coyle has NHL size, and he knows how to use it. He also has a work ethic beyond belief. He might not have a huge offensive upside, but he's going to be a quality NHL player. If he breaks out, he'll be a perennial all star. If he never takes it to another level, he should still be one of those guys that every team needs to win.

Old
11-23-2011, 10:06 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

That is a beautiful goal by Phillips.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 10:53 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
from what I hear from my people Coyle's floor is Brodziak. upside is prime bertuzzi.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote