HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Duncan Siemens Appreciation Thread

Old
08-05-2011, 05:58 PM
avsfan9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
He was definitely a tier below those two guys. But with guys this age it's always a crap shoot, especially defenseman. Not to mention all three play different styles of game, with Hamilton and Larsson both being much better offensive players.
thanks

avsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:22 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
He was definitely a tier below those two guys. But with guys this age it's always a crap shoot, especially defenseman. Not to mention all three play different styles of game, with Hamilton and Larsson both being much better offensive players.
I think people are kind of underrating his offensive game a bit. Some posters think he will be total shutdown guy, but I think he's better than that. Maybe even actually a 2-way guy.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 09:56 PM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I think people are kind of underrating his offensive game a bit. Some posters think he will be total shutdown guy, but I think he's better than that. Maybe even actually a 2-way guy.
He can develop into that but right now his passing is average and have you seen how long it takes him to get a shot off? He needs to go back to the blades if you want an offensive game to develop

StuckOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 02:13 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Beautiful. What a team player! He is (another) guy that seems to fit the Avs' rebuild to a tee.

And what is even cooler is that him and Elliott played together back on the Blades and will on the Avalanche. Pretty neat.
How did that work out for Kevin Shattenkirk and Colby Cohen? Just sayin'...it's a long way from being drafted and signed to actually playing together in the NHL.

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

He's going to the u20 camp so I'm really excited to see if he makes team Canada... It would be awesome to see him perform well at the international level. That would really boost his confidence.

I just hope Saskatoon is a strong team.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 06:36 PM
Rhaego

If I'm not mistaken, Siemens was the youngest player drafted in the draft... So if he were eligible for next years draft, where would he stand among the top defenders of the 2012 draft?

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 06:58 PM
NHL33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Siemens was the youngest player drafted in the draft... So if he were eligible for next years draft, where would he stand among the top defenders of the 2012 draft?
Second youngest.

It's a joke if they're seriously giving him a chance to compete for the roster this camp. Let him develop slowly, what's the point of rushing him?

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2011, 08:54 PM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
Second youngest.

It's a joke if they're seriously giving him a chance to compete for the roster this camp. Let him develop slowly, what's the point of rushing him?
I agree fully... we have a log jam of sorts as is, not many like Duncan. But Gaunce would give you almost the exact game that Siemens would this season... I would love to see this kid play for Canada! Maybe Calvin will be invited to the next camp too, I kinda expect him to make the team!

Old
08-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL33 View Post
Second youngest.

That doesn't answer my question

Rhaego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 09:29 AM
StuckOutHere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockies94 View Post
I don't think he would go any higher.. I would say Murray, Reinhart, Ebert, and Maata would all go before him

Old
08-07-2011, 09:52 AM
ScotAv

My understanding is that he has a mean streak which is why he was drafted so high. Kind of like McIlrath(?) the Rangers first round pick from last year. All round good player, possibly great but has that edge and physicality that can be harder to teach to someone who doesn't have it naturally.

He is a good defenseman who has some offensive potential that he has yet to tap into but it is his mean streak and physicality that make him attractive. Plus his young age and scope to grow/bulk up. If he turned out like Seabrook I'd call that a win.

ScotAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:24 PM
chewey
dmitri

Not sure if this was already posted but

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=2311

".. ultimately I'm going to go out there and be as physical and hard to play against as I would in the WHL. That's the style of game I play and that's when I'm at my best."

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 11:54 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuck out here View Post
He can develop into that but right now his passing is average and have you seen how long it takes him to get a shot off? He needs to go back to the blades if you want an offensive game to develop
His passing isn't average. He's a very strong passer, especially on the breakout. I agree that his shot needs a lot of work in a lot of areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
He's going to the u20 camp so I'm really excited to see if he makes team Canada... It would be awesome to see him perform well at the international level. That would really boost his confidence.

I just hope Saskatoon is a strong team.
Saskatoon will be a borderline playoff team....nowhere near the team they were last year.

Duncan hurt his ankle at this camp, that's why he wasn't in the game last night. Sounds like it could be somewhat serious too...

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:09 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
His passing isn't average. He's a very strong passer, especially on the breakout. I agree that his shot needs a lot of work in a lot of areas.

Saskatoon will be a borderline playoff team....nowhere near the team they were last year.

Duncan hurt his ankle at this camp, that's why he wasn't in the game last night. Sounds like it could be somewhat serious too...
And so the injuries begin...

SoundwaveIsCharisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:14 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
Originally Posted by GobiasIndustries View Post
And so the injuries begin...

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Helton4Hall
Internet Charlatan

Looks like Duncan will fit in real well with the team.

Helton4Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 02:40 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
How did that work out for Kevin Shattenkirk and Colby Cohen? Just sayin'...it's a long way from being drafted and signed to actually playing together in the NHL.
I know it's a long way, but hey, it is pretty cool. They are one step closer now then they were a year ago. Just sayin'.

Quote:
How peachy. And the injuries begin.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 04:06 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

When I say serious I don't necessarily mean months-long or anything but I've heard rumblings about him getting hurt and missing the game last night. With that being said the Blades team trainer never knew of anything so it can't be THAT serious.

He was also tweeting about going to the dentist today, so it's not like he's on the operating table.

Old
08-16-2011, 12:31 PM
tempest2i
Feral

I come in peace with a scouting report on Duncan from the perspective of the people who grew up with him in Sherwood Park. I just wanted to mention a couple of things about Duncan off the ice.

First, he comes from a very respectable (dare I say affluent) family in Sherwood Park. His dad is a great guy and his mom scared the crap out of all the kids on the street for years and years. Duncan gets his mean streak from his Mom's side.

He has a rep throughout the neighbourhood of being a bully and a brat.

The main point that keeps coming up with regards to Duncan is whether or not he can listen, learn from and get better through constructive criticism. The phrase I hear is "Sure he has all the tools. Does he have the toolbox?"

Control his temper and you have a fantastic player on your hands.

As an Oiler fan living in Calgary these days I'm sad that the Oil were't able to steal Duncan way with their second pick of the first round this year. But I am glad he has been drafted by the Avs, that keeps him in the NW division and allows me to see more of his games. I fully expect him to join the ever growing list of Parkies playing elite level hockey in the NHL.

And one more thing, get his hearing checked out. If he consistently plays the stereo in his new truck (and it's a damn nice truck too!) as loud as he was two weekends ago that kid is going to be deaf before he's 20.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2011, 12:56 PM
foppagirl21

^You freaked me out for a second. I thought this thread was resurrected because of an injury update. Speaking of which, anyone have any updates on his ankle?

Old
08-16-2011, 03:25 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
^You freaked me out for a second. I thought this thread was resurrected because of an injury update. Speaking of which, anyone have any updates on his ankle?
Heard nothing on my end.

Old
08-16-2011, 03:48 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Heard nothing on my end.
Alright, thanks for that. If you hear anything, let us know please!

Old
08-16-2011, 03:53 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Alright, thanks for that. If you hear anything, let us know please!
I know he gets into town on Thursday, so I can ask him then.

Old
08-16-2011, 04:29 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest2i View Post
I come in peace with a scouting report on Duncan from the perspective of the people who grew up with him in Sherwood Park. I just wanted to mention a couple of things about Duncan off the ice.

First, he comes from a very respectable (dare I say affluent) family in Sherwood Park. His dad is a great guy and his mom scared the crap out of all the kids on the street for years and years. Duncan gets his mean streak from his Mom's side.

He has a rep throughout the neighbourhood of being a bully and a brat.

The main point that keeps coming up with regards to Duncan is whether or not he can listen, learn from and get better through constructive criticism. The phrase I hear is "Sure he has all the tools. Does he have the toolbox?"

Control his temper and you have a fantastic player on your hands.

As an Oiler fan living in Calgary these days I'm sad that the Oil were't able to steal Duncan way with their second pick of the first round this year. But I am glad he has been drafted by the Avs, that keeps him in the NW division and allows me to see more of his games. I fully expect him to join the ever growing list of Parkies playing elite level hockey in the NHL.

And one more thing, get his hearing checked out. If he consistently plays the stereo in his new truck (and it's a damn nice truck too!) as loud as he was two weekends ago that kid is going to be deaf before he's 20.
Most athletes are punks when they're young. I know I was in high school. Regardless, most of them grow out of it. It's just a time thing.

Kids like their trucks, eh? At least we know these signing bonuses are being spent on domestic products, lol.

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2011, 01:13 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Chatted with Duncs yesterday for a few minutes as we kicked off training camp.

First of all, the kid is SHREDDED. Much bigger, leaner and stronger this year than last. His shoulders look much wider and everything. If he was a horse last year, I can't wait to see him on the ice again this year.

He told me about the draft and how Philly told him after they moved up to 8th spot that they were going to take him, unless something crazy happened. As it turned out, Sean Couturier slid and fell into the hands of the Flyers. They called Duncan after they drafted SC and apologized, saying that they had to take a forward of Couturier's calibre if they had the chance. Found that very interesting.

He told me about how he traveled to Denver a couple times already and loved it. He said he got to meet some of the players, mostly the younger guys that were in town for rookie camp. No Duchene or Stastny though.

I also know that when Duncs and Landy went to Denver after the draft, the team took them house shopping. Yeah, house shopping.

Also a note that his ankle doesn't appear to be bothering him at all. He hurt it at World Junior camp and early rumours were that he strained ligaments in it. Good to see it's not bothering him.