HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official Duncan Siemens Appreciation Thread

Old
08-26-2011, 02:19 PM
ScotAv

vCash: 500
I wonder if Couturier had been taken by the Jets' would Philadelphia still have taken Siemens over Hamilton? I know that what he suggests but Hamilton was expected to be taken by NYI. I wonder if Hamilton could have fallen to us at 11 in a Fowler-esque slide if they had taken Siemens.

Got to think that Boston would still snap Hamilton up or Minnesota would have grabbed him.

ScotAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 02:29 PM
ScotAv

Also, its probably been mentioned already, but this kid looks like he can scrap! Saw a couple of his fights on his profile on mynhldraft.com, kid looks like he can throw them.

Love that too. Really liking this kid. Really hoping he doesn't bomb. When (if) he makes it, definitely getting a Siemens top!

Yes, I have a raging hard one for this kid already. And Lando. Think the Avalanche were an excellent choice of team.

Old
08-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotJet View Post
I wonder if Couturier had been taken by the Jets' would Philadelphia still have taken Siemens over Hamilton? I know that what he suggests but Hamilton was expected to be taken by NYI. I wonder if Hamilton could have fallen to us at 11 in a Fowler-esque slide if they had taken Siemens.

Got to think that Boston would still snap Hamilton up or Minnesota would have grabbed him.
From everything I've heard Boston would have been willing to trade up they liked Hamilton so much. Both Philly and Boston were exstatic Winnipeg went off the board.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 05:48 PM
hockeyfreak7

Flyers (and Avs fan here), really interesting to hear that we planned to pick up Siemens at #8. I was never really too excited at the prospect of drafting Hamilton, but Siemens would have gotten me excited. In some ways, I would have been more excited about going a little off the board to take Siemens at #8 rather than taking Couturier.

Siemens seems like he could be a real home run type prospect with his skill set. And given that he's only 17 still, I completely expect his stock to rise much further after this season. Most of the other draftees had a full extra year of development on him, so imagine what he could have done with that extra time?

Avs got a great pick in Siemens.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:02 PM
PeterTheGreat

I see Siemens becoming similar to Braydon Cobourn. A very good number 3 dmen, or a decent number 2.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:09 PM
ScotAv

It'll be interesting to see how he performs this year given the new level of expectation and the probable (definite?) loss of Elliot. Given how young he is in comparison to this draft year, I'm 100% behind the organisation if they really take their time with him.

Will be interesting to compare him at the draft next year to the defenseman going in the top 15 in terms of production etc given that he could almost have been a draft eligible player next year.

Old
08-26-2011, 09:14 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how he performs this year given the new level of expectation and the probable (definite?) loss of Elliot. Given how young he is in comparison to this draft year, I'm 100% behind the organisation if they really take their time with him.

Will be interesting to compare him at the draft next year to the defenseman going in the top 15 in terms of production etc given that he could almost have been a draft eligible player next year.
Definite. He is either going to AHL or NHL.

chewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 09:23 PM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Definite. He is either going to AHL or NHL.
Loss of Elliott? I am assuming you two mean him not playing on the Blades, right? Otherwise I am missing some big news.

foppagirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2011, 11:55 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by foppagirl21 View Post
Loss of Elliott? I am assuming you two mean him not playing on the Blades, right? Otherwise I am missing some big news.
Yep. He was just talking about Seimens' performance this year now that he is 'the guy' without Elliott not being on the Blades.

Old
08-27-2011, 03:47 AM
DanishAvsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
RS I just gotta say it's really an honor having someone so close to the sport to post here... We all really enjoy your insight. Thanks a lot man.
Yeah I second that, it's the kind of info you'd not otherwise have, which makes it very valuable.

DanishAvsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 05:47 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 0
When was the last time we had a good defensive prospect where a sense of territoriality was a big part of his mentality? (Gaunce might have a bit of that too). Very refreshing.

Freudian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 04:37 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
He lit up Levi Bews at camp this morning. Caught him with his head down in the neutral zone and knocked him into next week.

Bews stayed down and went off the ice with a concussion.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
He lit up Levi Bews at camp this morning. Caught him with his head down in the neutral zone and knocked him into next week.

Bews stayed down and went off the ice with a concussion.
He's going to put half of his team in hospital, the way he dominates physically is unbelievable for a 17 year old.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2011, 11:32 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
When was the last time we had a good defensive prospect where a sense of territoriality was a big part of his mentality? (Gaunce might have a bit of that too). Very refreshing.
Don't think Gaunce had the hype or status that Seimens has. I remember him being physical but not to the extent that Seimens is.

Old
08-29-2011, 11:31 AM
Avs71

This is directed at Renegade Stylings, but I'll read any opinion on the subject. My question is how does Siemens stack up as a prospect to Gudbranson?

Hockey'sfuture has them both as 8.0c (always needs to be taken with a grain of salt, I know), but they seem like similar players to me, unless I'm missing something.

Both are 6'3 and around 200 lbs, and play a physically intimidating game. Siemens seemed to pidgeonholed into a shut down defenceman, while Gudbranson shows great two way ability (I'm basing this off what seems like the majority opinion).

Yet, Siemens had better numbers in his draft year. He averaged more goals, assists, points, and pims per game.

Why does there seem to be such a large gap in terms of how good they are as prospects, or am I just making this up in my head?

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 11:50 AM
avsfan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
This is directed at Renegade Stylings, but I'll read any opinion on the subject. My question is how does Siemens stack up as a prospect to Gudbranson?

Hockey'sfuture has them both as 8.0c (always needs to be taken with a grain of salt, I know), but they seem like similar players to me, unless I'm missing something.

Both are 6'3 and around 200 lbs, and play a physically intimidating game. Siemens seemed to pidgeonholed into a shut down defenceman, while Gudbranson shows great two way ability (I'm basing this off what seems like the majority opinion).

Yet, Siemens had better numbers in his draft year. He averaged more goals, assists, points, and pims per game.

Why does there seem to be such a large gap in terms of how good they are as prospects, or am I just making this up in my head?
there is a year and 8 mths age difference in the two as well.

avsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 03:55 PM
ScotAv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post

Read my mind! I was thinking the exact same thing as well.

Both in their draft years;
Gudbranson: GP - 41, G - 2, A - 21, PIMs -68
Siemens: GP - 71, G - 5, A - 38, PIMs - 121

And actually in the same year as Gudbransons draft year Siemens numbers were very similar ; GP - 52, G - 3, A - 17, PIMs 89

If anything Siemens seems like he's more offensively gifted than Gudbranson but yet Siemens is being typecast as a shutdown man whereas Gubranson is more of a 2-way player.

Where does this analogy come from? Siemens seems to be putting up better numbers and playing in more games. Plus Siemens was the second youngest player in his draft year and is physically mature and aggressive seemingly more so than Gudbranson, who is still a force. Why the huge gulf in draft position and potential?

Could it be due to Siemens partner Elliot being an offensive force? Inflating his numbers slightly? Is it that Siemens isn't the number one force on his team because of Elliot?

Old
08-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

What do people think the odds of him making it this year are?

10%? Greater than that?

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 04:22 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Read my mind! I was thinking the exact same thing as well.

Both in their draft years;
Gudbranson: GP - 41, G - 2, A - 21, PIMs -68
Siemens: GP - 71, G - 5, A - 38, PIMs - 121

And actually in the same year as Gudbransons draft year Siemens numbers were very similar ; GP - 52, G - 3, A - 17, PIMs 89

If anything Siemens seems like he's more offensively gifted than Gudbranson but yet Siemens is being typecast as a shutdown man whereas Gubranson is more of a 2-way player.

Where does this analogy come from? Siemens seems to be putting up better numbers and playing in more games. Plus Siemens was the second youngest player in his draft year and is physically mature and aggressive seemingly more so than Gudbranson, who is still a force. Why the huge gulf in draft position and potential?

Could it be due to Siemens partner Elliot being an offensive force? Inflating his numbers slightly? Is it that Siemens isn't the number one force on his team because of Elliot?
Saskatoon was a powerhouse last year which would make scoring easier. Kingston as not in Gudbranson's draft year. That said playing with Elliott could have robbed Siemens of points though as he would have to focus on his zone more while Elliott roams. Interesting points you guys are bringing up.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 05:03 PM
ScotAv

Depends, would like to see him in a few pre-season games. It certainly sounds like physically he's almost there. I know RS said he looked shredded when he saw him earlier on. He probably needs a bit more conditioning and seasoning to be honest.

It might also benefit him offensively to stay in the WHL, with Elliot going surely he will be asked to step up and fill Elliots role? He certainly seems capable. Might push him more into a future 2-way role rather than being pegged as a shutdown guy. His numbers seem to suggest that he has offensive potential and because of that I think I'd rather see him as a #1 guy on his team and see how he does, can't really harm his development given his age. Don't want to see him crack under the pressure of being in the NHL at a young age. Think we can afford to take some time with him really.

As a side note, the second I get NHL 12 my first course of action will be starting a Be A Pro career with Siemens and ripping through Bobby Orr's Norris Trophy record

Then taking Landeskog and making him a perennial Rocket Richard winner.

Old
08-29-2011, 05:10 PM
PeterTheGreat

Siemens is too young to play in the NHL next season. Another year in junior will do him good. He's not even 18 yet.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2011, 05:30 PM
ScotAv

I agree he's too young, but if the question is could he physically cope? Then to be honest I believe that we are looking at a young boy who possibly could cope. I saw someone compare it to Pietrangelo's situation with the Blues to begin with, as a #4 pick people thought he was physically mature enough to make the jump then and there, St. Louis didn't think so that year. Or the year after. I suppose that cap-wise and development wise it would make more sense for him to stay in the WHL. A move I think would be better in the long run, even if he shows he is capable.

Offensively, I think he would be better in the long run with another year in junior. It gives him the chance to step up and fill Elliotts skates, gives him a chance to develop physically more (frightening thought already the way he crushes people in that league), and take on more of a leadership role and develop more facets of his game.

EDIT: Plus he gets way more ice time as a #1 defenseman with the Blades than as a 5-6 or 7 with the Avalanche.

Old
08-29-2011, 07:25 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Siemens is too young to play in the NHL next season. Another year in junior will do him good. He's not even 18 yet.
He will be 18 in a week, he'll be old enough if he made it somehow. Odds are though his contract was for the signing bonus, and he'll get a lot of preseason games to showcase what he has. Go back for a year of juniors (like Elliott) and then come back and then likely get a close look at a spot on the team.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 02:21 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 50
I'll start by saying this....Siemens won't make the Avs. Will he get 4-5 games in exhibition with the team? Possibly, but he might not even get that.

Yes, he's come into Blades camp in amazing shape and had a great season last year with the team...good enough to be drafted 11th overall.

But you have to remember this kid is still only 17 years old. Yes he'll be 18 by Avs camp, but that's a big thing to remember. He's mature for his age, but the Avs have no need to throw an 18 year old kid to the wolves when we have PROVEN NHL depth on the blueline like Hunwick and O'Brien to fill roles...even if they are duds.

I hope he comes in and plays well enough to see a few exhibition games but it's more than just age with him. He needs to mature as a player, not just as a person. He still needs growth and rounding out in his game. He showed flashes of brilliance last year and also had a ton of mistakes. Mistakes like he made from time to time would totally expose him at the next level. He won't be rushed.

As for the Gudbranson comparisons, they are similar players. I've seen Erik quite a bit and they tend to project similarly at the next level. With that being said, they are different.

I'm not sure why people say that Gudbranson is a better two way player. To me, Siemens is. Siemens is a better skater and a better passer...he did benefit points-wise from a dynamite Blades team and having Stefan Elliott as a partner for much of the year last year but he still has great skills. Gud has a better shot. Gud is also much more refined defensively and plays his own end of the rink better. He's also more physical, from what I've seen. I do like Siemens potential more because I think he's a bit more raw but has the dynamic skating that Gud doesn't have.

Siemens offensive role this year will be much increased and it's basically up to four guys to shoulder the blow of losing Elliott.

Siemens
Darren Dietz - MtL draft pick
Connor Cox - 19 year old puck mover
Dalton Thrower - 2012 eligible dman

So far in camp, Dietz has been fantastic offensively and I think he might own this role for this year...but Siemens will still see PP time.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 06:19 PM
ScotAv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I'll start by saying this....Siemens won't make the Avs. Will he get 4-5 games in exhibition with the team? Possibly, but he might not even get that.

Yes, he's come into Blades camp in amazing shape and had a great season last year with the team...good enough to be drafted 11th overall.

But you have to remember this kid is still only 17 years old. Yes he'll be 18 by Avs camp, but that's a big thing to remember. He's mature for his age, but the Avs have no need to throw an 18 year old kid to the wolves when we have PROVEN NHL depth on the blueline like Hunwick and O'Brien to fill roles...even if they are duds.

I hope he comes in and plays well enough to see a few exhibition games but it's more than just age with him. He needs to mature as a player, not just as a person. He still needs growth and rounding out in his game. He showed flashes of brilliance last year and also had a ton of mistakes. Mistakes like he made from time to time would totally expose him at the next level. He won't be rushed.

As for the Gudbranson comparisons, they are similar players. I've seen Erik quite a bit and they tend to project similarly at the next level. With that being said, they are different.

I'm not sure why people say that Gudbranson is a better two way player. To me, Siemens is. Siemens is a better skater and a better passer...he did benefit points-wise from a dynamite Blades team and having Stefan Elliott as a partner for much of the year last year but he still has great skills. Gud has a better shot. Gud is also much more refined defensively and plays his own end of the rink better. He's also more physical, from what I've seen. I do like Siemens potential more because I think he's a bit more raw but has the dynamic skating that Gud doesn't have.

Siemens offensive role this year will be much increased and it's basically up to four guys to shoulder the blow of losing Elliott.

Siemens
Darren Dietz - MtL draft pick
Connor Cox - 19 year old puck mover
Dalton Thrower - 2012 eligible dman

So far in camp, Dietz has been fantastic offensively and I think he might own this role for this year...but Siemens will still see PP time.
Thanks!

From what I've read, scouts also seem to like Gudbransons intangibles such as leadership etc. They don't seem to mention Siemens as much in that respect.

So basically;
Gudbranson - better shot, more physical (really?), better in his own end
Siemens - better passer, skater, more raw potential

Think I'm gonna become a Blades fan too, keep track of Siemens!