HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

The Official Duncan Siemens Appreciation Thread

Old
08-30-2011, 05:31 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotJet View Post
Thanks!

From what I've read, scouts also seem to like Gudbransons intangibles such as leadership etc. They don't seem to mention Siemens as much in that respect.

So basically;
Gudbranson - better shot, more physical (really?), better in his own end
Siemens - better passer, skater, more raw potential

Think I'm gonna become a Blades fan too, keep track of Siemens!
Siemens is physical when he wants to be, but he doesn't go out of his way to lay many hits on every shift. Gudbranson is more physical.

As for Siemens leadership...he's a true leader. Last year he was voted as an assistant captain as a then 16 year old. Stefan Elliott was away at Avs camp at that time. When Elliott returned, Siemens felt obligated to give up his 'A'. A true team move by a mature young guy.

This year he is the head and shoulders favorite to be the Blades captain.

As a 17 year old he's the guy that organizes most things among the team like meetings and getting everyone on the same page for events and get togethers for corporate things.

That doesn't even include what he brings to the team on the ice.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 11:11 PM
SlyAvs
smokin Joe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I'll start by saying this....Siemens won't make the Avs. Will he get 4-5 games in exhibition with the team? Possibly, but he might not even get that.

Yes, he's come into Blades camp in amazing shape and had a great season last year with the team...good enough to be drafted 11th overall.

But you have to remember this kid is still only 17 years old. Yes he'll be 18 by Avs camp, but that's a big thing to remember. He's mature for his age, but the Avs have no need to throw an 18 year old kid to the wolves when we have PROVEN NHL depth on the blueline like Hunwick and O'Brien to fill roles...even if they are duds.

I hope he comes in and plays well enough to see a few exhibition games but it's more than just age with him. He needs to mature as a player, not just as a person. He still needs growth and rounding out in his game. He showed flashes of brilliance last year and also had a ton of mistakes. Mistakes like he made from time to time would totally expose him at the next level. He won't be rushed.

As for the Gudbranson comparisons, they are similar players. I've seen Erik quite a bit and they tend to project similarly at the next level. With that being said, they are different.

I'm not sure why people say that Gudbranson is a better two way player. To me, Siemens is. Siemens is a better skater and a better passer...he did benefit points-wise from a dynamite Blades team and having Stefan Elliott as a partner for much of the year last year but he still has great skills. Gud has a better shot. Gud is also much more refined defensively and plays his own end of the rink better. He's also more physical, from what I've seen. I do like Siemens potential more because I think he's a bit more raw but has the dynamic skating that Gud doesn't have.

Siemens offensive role this year will be much increased and it's basically up to four guys to shoulder the blow of losing Elliott.

Siemens
Darren Dietz - MtL draft pick
Connor Cox - 19 year old puck mover
Dalton Thrower - 2012 eligible dman

So far in camp, Dietz has been fantastic offensively and I think he might own this role for this year...but Siemens will still see PP time.
Thank for the info on Duncan ,good read and interesting .Do you think he has a shot as to wear the 'C' ?

SlyAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 12:09 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyAvs View Post
Thank for the info on Duncan ,good read and interesting .Do you think he has a shot as to wear the 'C' ?
In Saskatoon? He had it until Elliott came back last season.

In the NHL? No I think there's better options on the avalanche including fellow '11 draftee Gabriel Landeskog.

But I'm not who you're addressing in your question

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 02:32 AM
saskavsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen View Post
In Saskatoon? He had it until Elliott came back last season.

In the NHL? No I think there's better options on the avalanche including fellow '11 draftee Gabriel Landeskog.

But I'm not who you're addressing in your question
Pretty sure Zahn had the C for the blades last year? Siemens gave up the A for Elliott. but he'll (zahn) be gone, so good guess is Siemens will get the c this year

saskavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2011, 10:44 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Siemens never had the C.

Zahn was the C.

Siemens had an A until he gave it to Stef.

Old
09-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Duncan is my favorite prospect right now (of all teams) and the one player I was hopeful the Avs would draft from this year. (I pick one each year, Lander went to Oilers and Watson to the Preds - try to pick guys that would fall into the Avs pick ranges).

What do you think the odds are he can mature enough to become a #1 defender? I honestly believe he has the skillset and the physique for such in the NHL, but by the sounds of things and by videos, it would appear he has a lot of growing up to do still. Being a leader isn't all about being vocal or the best, I get the feeling he is pretty arrogant and not grounded enough yet to realize what he can do in the NHL if he works at it. Although, that swagger about him could cause him to become great friends with EJ, they seem like similar personalties.

With that being said, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to perhaps get a Blades jersey signed by him if I purchased it, obviously I'm nowhere even remotely located near him... just a shot in the dark.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 10:12 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Named as 52nd captain in Blades history. Congrats to him.

He looked like a beast in his first game with the team this season on the weekend. First shift he got knocked on his ass by Mark McNeill of the Raiders.

He got up with a big smirk and proceeded to level two punks at the blueline as they came down with their heads down.

He rarely steps up to hit guys like that so it's good to see him bring that into his game more.

Old
09-28-2011, 12:26 PM
ScotAv

Congrats to him! Just another positive/glowing referral on his resume. Can't wait to see how he does this year, think it will be critical in terms of what type of defender he can be, if he's gonna put up points without Elliot.

I assume the Blades have a pretty strong team again this year RS?

ScotAv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:59 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotAv View Post
Congrats to him! Just another positive/glowing referral on his resume. Can't wait to see how he does this year, think it will be critical in terms of what type of defender he can be, if he's gonna put up points without Elliot.

I assume the Blades have a pretty strong team again this year RS?
Losing a ton of talent, including their top 2 centers (Viedensky, Schenn) their top winger (Hamilton), their top 2 defenceman (Elliott, Zahn) as well as their starting goalie (Stanford).

Things will be interesting to say the least. Still 16 returning players from last year but they will all be counted on to see huge improvements all over the ice.

Still also a very young team too, one of the youngest in the league. But we were last year too and it didn't seem to bother us, atleast in the regular season.

Old
10-04-2011, 06:30 AM
avsfan9

2 points in his first 3 games, good start for duncan.

avsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 12:10 PM
kento19
@kento19

Looks like Siemens has stepped up his offensive game this year. Has 1 less goal than he had all of last year. I think we have a future stud defenceman in him. RS, can you give us un update on what you have seen from his this year? I know there will be some good players coming out of the past draft. RNH is off to a tremendous start, and everybody thinks Larsson will be a star. But is it far fetched to think that we might come out of the draft with the best forward and defenceman down the road?

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:12 PM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
Looks like Siemens has stepped up his offensive game this year. Has 1 less goal than he had all of last year. I think we have a future stud defenceman in him. RS, can you give us un update on what you have seen from his this year? I know there will be some good players coming out of the past draft. RNH is off to a tremendous start, and everybody thinks Larsson will be a star. But is it far fetched to think that we might come out of the draft with the best forward and defenceman down the road?
Not likely. RNH is a complete stud. I am sold. Cant wait to see how he does in a few years. Hope he can stay healthy ( Yeah, him being in our division kinda sucks :O)
And without not really having followed the recent draftees there are off the top of my head a few dmen I take over him right now.
Larsson and Hamilton for sure. And there are some wild cards like Klefbom and Brodin who seem to do well.

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 01:31 PM
AvsFan7*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
Not likely. RNH is a complete stud. I am sold. Cant wait to see how he does in a few years. Hope he can stay healthy ( Yeah, him being in our division kinda sucks :O)
And without not really having followed the recent draftees there are off the top of my head a few dmen I take over him right now.
Larsson and Hamilton for sure. And there are some wild cards like Klefbom and Brodin who seem to do well.
Unfortunatly I dont think Landy will end up being as good as Nuge or, surprisingly Couturier, I think they will be teh best 2 forwards out of the Draft. I do however think we might have Drafted the best Defensman, I really think Siemens has the potential and ability to be a #1 Dman in a few years.

Siemens and EJ Anchoring the Avs Top Pairing in 2-3 years will be great! I can even see a Suter/Weber type of pairing out of them.

AvsFan7* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 04:46 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
Yeah, that's far fetched. RNH is clearly head and shoulders the best player right now. He was in June and he still is now. The kid is a freak.

Larsson will be the best defender by a fair margin I think, with Hamilton likely being second in that regard.

Siemens has been good. He's really played well the last two weeks after playing VERY up and down to start the year. He's bigger, stronger and more confident this season. Still playing with a major edge and isn't afraid to step up for a big hit or drop the gloves and stand up for a teammate. Kid is a great captain too. Takes responsibility for the other guys in regards to organize things like media requests and just general things that most people don't know about. (Ensuring all the players had signed a card/jersey for a season ticket holder who had just passed away).

His offensive progression has been very fun to watch as well. He's still a great passer and has been better on the PP then I would have expected. His shot has improved and is more accurate while he gets it off much quicker this year. His overall offensive decision making is just much better this season.

He's coming along nicely and will be a regular in the NHL by 20, no doubt in my mind.

Old
11-20-2011, 05:58 PM
avs1dacup

vCash: 134
Quote:
Yeah, that's far fetched. RNH is clearly head and shoulders the best player right now. He was in June and he still is now. The kid is a freak.

Larsson will be the best defender by a fair margin I think, with Hamilton likely being second in that regard.

Siemens has been good. He's really played well the last two weeks after playing VERY up and down to start the year. He's bigger, stronger and more confident this season. Still playing with a major edge and isn't afraid to step up for a big hit or drop the gloves and stand up for a teammate. Kid is a great captain too. Takes responsibility for the other guys in regards to organize things like media requests and just general things that most people don't know about. (Ensuring all the players had signed a card/jersey for a season ticket holder who had just passed away).

His offensive progression has been very fun to watch as well. He's still a great passer and has been better on the PP then I would have expected. His shot has improved and is more accurate while he gets it off much quicker this year. His overall offensive decision making is just much better this season.

He's coming along nicely and will be a regular in the NHL by 20, no doubt in my mind.
Sounds like he's very much on the Phaneuf road to the NHL. Does he happen to have 1 more year of WHL eligibility next year if needed?

avs1dacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2011, 06:11 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs1dacup View Post
Sounds like he's very much on the Phaneuf road to the NHL. Does he happen to have 1 more year of WHL eligibility next year if needed?
He should have two more years of WHL eligibilty. Depends how he plays the rest of this season and in training camp next year but I think he should spend one more year in the WHL. Then make the jump to the NHL for the 2013/14 season.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 08:26 AM
marioni

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsFan7 View Post
Unfortunatly I dont think Landy will end up being as good as Nuge or, surprisingly Couturier, I think they will be teh best 2 forwards out of the Draft.
Well that looks a no brainer now. How funny do all those "Landeskog is most NHL ready out of all draft picks" claims from "experts" seem now. More NHL ready than Nugent-Hopkins

marioni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 08:40 AM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioni View Post
Well that looks a no brainer now. How funny do all those "Landeskog is most NHL ready out of all draft picks" claims from "experts" seem now. More NHL ready than Nugent-Hopkins
Doesn't mean because RNH is producing more he's more ready than Landeskog. Landeskog is not as productive but much more aware defensively which is a big plus for a rookie.

Ice Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 11:31 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

Siemens has had a massive test twice in the last couple weeks going head to head with Emerson Etem.

Held him to 1 assist in two games, and it was a PP assist too.

They went at it all last night in Saskatoon and it was a treat to watch. You don't often see people blow Siemens' doors off down the wing, but it happened once in each game. Besides those two chances, Siemens definitely won the battle overall.

Siemens seems like the kind of kid that elevates his game in bigger situations. Love to see that.

Old
11-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Siemens has had a massive test twice in the last couple weeks going head to head with Emerson Etem.

Held him to 1 assist in two games, and it was a PP assist too.

They went at it all last night in Saskatoon and it was a treat to watch. You don't often see people blow Siemens' doors off down the wing, but it happened once in each game. Besides those two chances, Siemens definitely won the battle overall.

Siemens seems like the kind of kid that elevates his game in bigger situations. Love to see that.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:41 PM
Foppa2118

As much as Hishon's season last year made me a little more comfortable in the fact they passed on Etem, Joey's lingering concussion and Etem's 25 goals and 47 points in 24 games this year for Medicine Hat make me a little worried again.

Nice to hear Duncan's angles are good though and he's not getting too burnt by a speedy forward like him.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Ice Crusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
As much as Hishon's season last year made me a little more comfortable in the fact they passed on Etem, Joey's lingering concussion and Etem's 25 goals and 47 points in 24 games this year for Medicine Hat make me a little worried again.
You're a little worried because Mueller as not recovered well from his symptoms. But most players get through well. I think we will need to worry if after this season he has not played at all. For now, I'll leave my thoughts on the side.

Ice Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:47 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post

Nice to hear Duncan's angles are good though and he's not getting too burnt by a speedy forward like him.
I'm still pissed off Hishon got concussed and the guy who hit him's excuse was something to the tune of "he tripped and accidentally hit my elbow head first"

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 02:54 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTENOUGHBREWER View Post
I'm still pissed off Hishon got concussed and the guy who hit him's excuse was something to the tune of "he tripped and accidentally hit my elbow head first"
McNabb is a db, but what hurt Joey the most was when his teammate hit him in the head right after that hit by McNabb.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCrusher21 View Post
You're a little worried because Mueller as not recovered well from his symptoms. But most players get through well. I think we will need to worry if after this season he has not played at all. For now, I'll leave my thoughts on the side.
That's true, and also concussions in general just seem more career threatening than they used to. Just saying Etem has impressed just as much if not more so than Hishon to this point, and Hishon is the one who's status is still kind of up in the air. Hope Joey gets better soon though and we can see how his game translates to the pros.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote