HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ride the wave of emotion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-24-2011, 11:59 PM
  #1
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Ride the wave of emotion

This has been the most emotional up and down effect I have ever experienced as a flyers fan. I have been sick to my stomach now since I heard that we had traded mike richards, but with all of these elite prospects and solid players we have acquired I am actually starting to feel good about this whole thing.....while I will never feel good about richards being gone, and even if one of these new kids scores 100 points I will always miss cannon! But if schenn can contribute next year and Jake and simmonds make a jump we could be stronger than ever. Bryz in net should settle the team down and allow them to attack and not have to worry about playing "help the goalie" all game.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:18 AM
  #2
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,796
vCash: 500
It really is like being pulled in different directions all at once. The future all of a sudden is sun-bright ... but for 2 years we have lived with a "win now" mentality. It's bloody hard to shift emotional gears in the span of 24 hours to sacrificing the now for the very soon. Jester nailed it: the core of the forwards and defense are at different ends of their careers.

And like I posted elsewhere, there's the unavoidable sense that something very wrong brought about this flurry of activity. As a fan, I expect that the players who pull on my favourite jersey are united in working towards winning game in and game out, and that has been tarnished, albeit through innuendo and circumstances.

It's very hard not to overthink this.

For the moment, landing Couturier is a major coup. That banner scrolling across the top of the page will read a whole lot nicer for the coming season.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:22 AM
  #3
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
See...we developed our own prospects and they panned out really well in Richards and Carter.

I don't think i'll ever think of this situation as "good".

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:24 AM
  #4
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 44,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
It really is like being pulled in different directions all at once. The future all of a sudden is sun-bright ... but for 2 years we have lived with a "win now" mentality. It's bloody hard to shift emotional gears in the span of 24 hours to sacrificing the now for the very soon. Jester nailed it: the core of the forwards and defense are at different ends of their careers.

And like I posted elsewhere, there's the unavoidable sense that something very wrong brought about this flurry of activity. As a fan, I expect that the players who pull on my favourite jersey are united in working towards winning game in and game out, and that has been tarnished, albeit through innuendo and circumstances.

It's very hard not to overthink this.

For the moment, landing Couturier is a major coup. That banner scrolling across the top of the page will read a whole lot nicer for the coming season.
You stated it with more eloquence and less hyperbole than I am capable of. I love me some crude hyper-bowl.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:25 AM
  #5
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,916
vCash: 500
Won't lie, I do look forward to seeing how Schenn and Couturier develop.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:29 AM
  #6
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
It really is like being pulled in different directions all at once. The future all of a sudden is sun-bright ... but for 2 years we have lived with a "win now" mentality. It's bloody hard to shift emotional gears in the span of 24 hours to sacrificing the now for the very soon. Jester nailed it: the core of the forwards and defense are at different ends of their careers.

And like I posted elsewhere, there's the unavoidable sense that something very wrong brought about this flurry of activity. As a fan, I expect that the players who pull on my favourite jersey are united in working towards winning game in and game out, and that has been tarnished, albeit through innuendo and circumstances.

It's very hard not to overthink this.

For the moment, landing Couturier is a major coup. That banner scrolling across the top of the page will read a whole lot nicer for the coming season.
I mean its obvious things were just not going to work out with carter and richie if homer was forced into trading them, in shocking fashion. While I am not suggesting carter and richards can/will be replaced (richards never for me) but are we really that far off?

If JVR jumps like giroux did last year, giroux takes one more step, Jake and Simmonds take another step, and schenn contributes we still have a pretty powerful roster. Throw in a hopefully healthy D core, and a game stealing goalie for the first time in a century (lol) we may be closer than alot of fans think.

Add to the fact that the dressing room will likely(hopefully) be light and have a new fresh attitude. These new young guys should be hungry and it should spark the vets.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:30 AM
  #7
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus
 
JohnnyOnTheSpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,908
vCash: 500
I've been riding a non-throw up streak for about 13 years, and I honestly thought it was going to break last night. I read about the Carter trade and was like "Whoa, holy crap this is great news!" Then I saw "Richards next..." and my heart literally sank, I went into complete denial and I just felt a knot in my stomach. Then it all came true, and it felt even worse. I sat here at my computer with my hands shaking for a good 20 minutes, reading everything I could PRAYING someone would say "nope, rumor."

It's not even that I thought Richards would retire a Flyer, I freakin' knew it! He was my first favorite Flyer since LeClair was bought out, and he really got me back into being a complete nerdy fanboy about a player, and it was great. Every fantasy hockey draft, I'd waste my first round pick on Mike Richards, and loved it.

The harsh reality is setting in that something was wrong in the locker-room, and Richards and Carter don't seem to get it. If it's something bad like people are alluding to, I pray these moves save their careers and lives. If it's less than that...I'm just angry. Fine, ship out Carter, but was Richards really necessary? He wasn't a cap casualty like Gagne, or a rental player like Forsberg out of his prime, he was our 26 year old captain who was supposed to go down as one of the greats.

I thought I'd see his name and number in the rafters, not on another team's score sheet. At this point I really don't care about what we got, because I'm jaded and sad that we just traded my favorite player.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:40 AM
  #8
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 13,796
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
I've been riding a non-throw up streak for about 13 years, and I honestly thought it was going to break last night. I read about the Carter trade and was like "Whoa, holy crap this is great news!" Then I saw "Richards next..." and my heart literally sank, I went into complete denial and I just felt a knot in my stomach. Then it all came true, and it felt even worse. I sat here at my computer with my hands shaking for a good 20 minutes, reading everything I could PRAYING someone would say "nope, rumor."

It's not even that I thought Richards would retire a Flyer, I freakin' knew it! He was my first favorite Flyer since LeClair was bought out, and he really got me back into being a complete nerdy fanboy about a player, and it was great. Every fantasy hockey draft, I'd waste my first round pick on Mike Richards, and loved it.

The harsh reality is setting in that something was wrong in the locker-room, and Richards and Carter don't seem to get it. If it's something bad like people are alluding to, I pray these moves save their careers and lives. If it's less than that...I'm just angry. Fine, ship out Carter, but was Richards really necessary? He wasn't a cap casualty like Gagne, or a rental player like Forsberg out of his prime, he was our 26 year old captain who was supposed to go down as one of the greats.

I thought I'd see his name and number in the rafters, not on another team's score sheet. At this point I really don't care about what we got, because I'm jaded and sad that we just traded my favorite player.

Sums up exactly how i feel. I too was in complete denial. Richards was the first flyers player i could get excited about in a long time. I had all these fantasies in my head about him being top 5 all time in shorties, and extending his record of 5 on 3 shorties. I was a huge fan.......Then i read some of the rumors about what was going on in the locker room and it kinda made me feel numb. Could my favorite player be involved in those type of actives? I dont know and i will probably never know and never accept those rumors but if those rumors were true, then this is the best thing that could happen to him. He can go to a new place and reinvent himself and though he may not be wearing flyers orange he will still be a great player to watch. One that i will root for for a long long time. I am also very optimistic about our own future. I thought we got great value for our players and am excited for the future. I think in reality a part of me knew that something like this had to happen in order for us to be successful. Im glad we have an organization that has the balls to make those drastic moves instead of standing pat.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:44 AM
  #9
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close
 
SeanVT395's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Vermont
Country: United States
Posts: 3,126
vCash: 500
It's been a long time since I've gone from an extreme low one day to an extreme high the next day after realizing that we just got two prospects who could potentially turn out better than Richards and Carter one day.

I was at work (cook at a busy restaruant) when I started receiving all of the texts from mckenzie, dreger, and yes Eklund at around 4ish to around 6 when Bryz was signed and I just started flipping out in my mind... and that seriously got some adrenaline pumping in me and I was balls to the walls for the rest of my shift until I basically sank into the reality of acceptance while driving home around 11:30.

Then today after it started to settle in my mind about this influx of young blue-chip talent I started to really get excited about the draft... Something I hadn't even batted an eye at in 4 years. Hamilton and Murphy were who I wanted, but I thought Couturier was going #5 at the latest, no questions asked. The more I read about this guy, the more excited I'm getting about watching how him and Schenn will develop in the future and how scary it is how similar Schenn is to Richards (with more offensive upside) and Couturier is to Carter (with more shutdown skill)

Hell, there's even a possibility they could both end up on the roster next year.

...While the Flyers may not (and probably won't) be a better team next year, with all of the possibilities of lines with the amount of young forward talent they have now combined with the elite, veteran defense and goaltending makes me think that they're going to be an extremely exciting and interesting team to watch next season.

I'm still and always will be deeply saddened to see my 3 favorite flyers who were supposed to play out their caarers with this team traded within a year. I don't care what situation any of them are in down the road because if any of them ever find their ways back into the orange & black it'll be a happy experience for me.


Last edited by SeanVT395: 06-25-2011 at 01:53 AM.
SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:08 AM
  #10
Mota
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 1,068
vCash: 500
I still don't know how to feel.

I think the Carter trade was a huge step forward for the current team and organization. It allowed them to fill their biggest hole with Bryz, it gave us size on the wing that could help now and has upside for the future with Vorecek...and a top pick for our future. This deal gave us a team with an elite goalie, elite defense, and elite offense...along with a brighter future.

Then came the Richie deal. They basically took a big piece of that elite offense and set it back 3 years. I dont doubt the player Schenn can be, but most likelly he wont be that player for a few years, at which time Pronger, Timonen, and Briere will likely be on the decline. So basically next year we have a stacked defense and stud goalie, but young unproven offense. Three years from now, we may have the sickest top 6 in the league...but our D/G wont be as good. Just keeping Richards wouldve bridged that gap.

I think the Carter deal alone would have given this team the best shot to win a cup next year...but losing Richards on top of Carter hurts that a lot.

I'm excited for the future, but not convinced this team is the best possible team to with the cup.


Last edited by Mota: 06-25-2011 at 02:17 AM.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:48 AM
  #11
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m
 
COMCASTMONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nashvegas
Country: United States
Posts: 5,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I'm excited for the future, but not convinced this team is the best possible team to with the cup.
True, but I've come to terms with the fact that management truly believed they were not going to win a cup next year with Mike Richards. If this was, in fact, on Snider's insistence, well, I don't think anyone has a better say. He is the reason there is a team, and he's as good of an owner as there are in sports. They thought they were not going to win with Mike, they started fresh, and they did so magnificently.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:49 AM
  #12
skoods
Registered User
 
skoods's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Mike Richards was so so so overrated by the fanbase.

skoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:03 AM
  #13
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,536
vCash: 500
First I was overwhelmed and scared of the situation but the more I think about it the more I realize that the Flyers wouldn't have won a cup anytime soon without making any major changes.
Richie and Carter have done so many good things for this team but they just couldn't provide the final spark to take this any further.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:19 AM
  #14
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoods View Post
Mike Richards was so so so overrated by the fanbase.
I can't wait for people like you to realize what's gone next year.

I hate HF boards sometimes, seriously.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:20 AM
  #15
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
This has been the most emotional up and down effect I have ever experienced as a flyers fan. I have been sick to my stomach now since I heard that we had traded mike richards, but with all of these elite prospects and solid players we have acquired I am actually starting to feel good about this whole thing.....while I will never feel good about richards being gone, and even if one of these new kids scores 100 points I will always miss cannon! But if schenn can contribute next year and Jake and simmonds make a jump we could be stronger than ever. Bryz in net should settle the team down and allow them to attack and not have to worry about playing "help the goalie" all game.
What? Boston was the team that was helping out Thomas all game long. The Flyers were the team letting the two on ones go against us all the time. I don't think the team worried much about helping the goalie.

The only good thing about trading Richards and Carter is that it gave us more cap space to build a more well rounded team. We got potential but we gave up quality stars in Carter and Richards. Homer can't be done yet this off season or this will be considered a failure off season because Kimmo and Pronger don't have many more years left and we are still in the win now mode. And I fully believe that Homer isn't done yet and will make a couple more quality moves that will put us back at the top of our division and over the Penguins.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:26 AM
  #16
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
First I was overwhelmed and scared of the situation but the more I think about it the more I realize that the Flyers wouldn't have won a cup anytime soon without making any major changes.
Richie and Carter have done so many good things for this team but they just couldn't provide the final spark to take this any further.


There was no way the Flyers would have won the cup with Lavy and Richards here. I used to see Richards go out and punish everyone to try to get the team a spark when they were struggling but when Lavy was the head coach for the whole year he wore on Richards and it showed in his game and he just didn't seem to go out there to spark up the team as much as he used to. He didn't even get in his annual fight with Bieska which was a disappointment to me!!!

My question is this and I been wondering it. How long did Lavy coach Carolina before he wasn't the head coach anymore? Why did he leave the position? Just curious. I know he won a cup there but it didn't seem like he was in charge long.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:08 AM
  #17
mirimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Wrong Town
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
There was no way the Flyers would have won the cup with Lavy and Richards here. I used to see Richards go out and punish everyone to try to get the team a spark when they were struggling but when Lavy was the head coach for the whole year he wore on Richards and it showed in his game and he just didn't seem to go out there to spark up the team as much as he used to. He didn't even get in his annual fight with Bieska which was a disappointment to me!!!

My question is this and I been wondering it. How long did Lavy coach Carolina before he wasn't the head coach anymore? Why did he leave the position? Just curious. I know he won a cup there but it didn't seem like he was in charge long.
He took over after Paul Maurice in the 03-04 season, and was fired, and replaced by Paul Maurice, in the 08-09 season. So about four seasons.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:32 AM
  #18
Mylec 22
Registered User
 
Mylec 22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I can't wait for people like you to realize what's gone next year.

I hate HF boards sometimes, seriously.

Yeah..people having different opinions really sucks sometimes huh..

Mylec 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:26 AM
  #19
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylec 22 View Post
Yeah..people having different opinions really sucks sometimes huh..
You said it

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:10 AM
  #20
duffy9748
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,437
vCash: 500
I can see a major deal coming that brings in a star center. They still know that with Pronger/Timonen/Briere getting older, the time needs to be now.

A package of Schenn/Coutourier/Bob/2012 first can get almost any player in the league. We just need to find a team willing to give one up.

duffy9748 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:34 AM
  #21
COMCASTMONEY
14yrs/$110m
 
COMCASTMONEY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Nashvegas
Country: United States
Posts: 5,203
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy9748 View Post
I can see a major deal coming that brings in a star center. They still know that with Pronger/Timonen/Briere getting older, the time needs to be now.

A package of Schenn/Coutourier/Bob/2012 first can get almost any player in the league. We just need to find a team willing to give one up.
I don't think that's the idea...and I hope it isn't.

COMCASTMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:40 AM
  #22
Spongolium*
Potato Magician
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bridgend,UK
Country: Wales
Posts: 8,653
vCash: 500
Like i said in the other thread.

It's nice to have a little un-certainty, and it's great to have prospects to talk up .

Exciting times for flyers fans.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:55 AM
  #23
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma
 
usahockey22flyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Jersey, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,485
vCash: 500
Man I loved the Carter deal and I'm really really iffy about the Richards deal.

Gotta see what Schenn/Simmonds bring to the table in the next 2-3 years, and theres no doubt in my mind that we won the Carter deal. Voracek and Coutierer will surpass 80 points combined for a long time.

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:52 PM
  #24
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
The carter deal makes sense, but the richards deal is out of left field. But everyone is putting far too much stock in the "we have set ourselfs back 3 years" I am the biggest Richards fan, and I am still sick that he is gone. Looking at it this way is that we still have 3 very solid lines, with a number of talented players, our defense is still top notch in the league, so hopefully this year they stay healthy. No slight against richie beause he did chip in, but the year we went to the finals it was the briere line, and giroux stepping up that really carried us, and not to mention a very good matchup with the teams we faced. We now have a goalie that carried a very average team to the playoffs the last two years...JVR could explode this year, voracek and simmonds could take another step, and brayden schenn could be one of the better 3rd line center's in the league. I think this team gets pushed over the top if schenn can be a 40 point guy.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:13 PM
  #25
Orange Crush 89
Registered User
 
Orange Crush 89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 756
vCash: 500
I hope you have a fly bug because no one should ever allow something as trivial as a game with interchangeable pieces to make them sick to their stomach.

Orange Crush 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.