HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Where do Tyler Biggs & Stuart Percy rank in our organization?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-25-2011, 08:52 AM
  #76
Vexxed14
Registered User
 
Vexxed14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Barrie, Ont
Posts: 4,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100angryvikings View Post
Burke's fascination with toughness can be a bit frustrating at times. I wouldnt have minded the move up if we had used it to grab Puempel before Ottawa got their hands on him. Seems like a top level goal scorer and thats what we could have used.

I guess Burke sees Biggs as our potential Milan Lucic, but he just doesnt seem like he has any offensive upside whatsoever. There were definitely more skilled players on the board. I hope he proves me wrong though, but Im beginning to see why Burke gets alot of criticism for his drafting record.

Cant really comment on Percy since I dont know much about him.
What I don't understand, is that when looking at the roster and some of our youngsters people think we need more soft goal scorers over some grit and size.

We have goal scorers. We had more 30+ goal scorers than anybody else in the league. What we really lacked was size and grit in the bottom 6. Outside of Brown and Armstrong we had nobody.

Add Biggs and Frattin down the line now.

I just don't see how we needed a Peumpel over a Biggs.

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:53 AM
  #77
Darylman
Registered User
 
Darylman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,646
vCash: 500
The Leafs had nobody in the system like Biggs. It was a great pick.

Darylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:03 AM
  #78
Toasterman
Registered User
 
Toasterman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 723
vCash: 500
The Leafs manage to get a guy at 22nd that TSN had going at 15th and people lose their minds.

Six months ago people were crying that the Leafs had no first round draft picks in 2011 and now they're complaining about the first round picks that they did make. Jeez.

The Leafs could have easily started drafting at 39th this weekend and Biggs and Percy could belong to other teams today. So be happy with the new youth the Leafs picked up and see where things go down the road.

Toasterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:06 AM
  #79
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselPhaneufTML View Post
Oh, and i'm pretty sure Jeremy Williams is having a pretty strong AHL career.
Last I heard, he was taking his talents to Europe.

__________________
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/JE_Iannicello
John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:12 AM
  #80
Quik
Agent 0091
 
Quik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,819
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100angryvikings View Post
Burke's fascination with toughness can be a bit frustrating at times. I wouldnt have minded the move up if we had used it to grab Puempel before Ottawa got their hands on him. Seems like a top level goal scorer and thats what we could have used.

I guess Burke sees Biggs as our potential Milan Lucic, but he just doesnt seem like he has any offensive upside whatsoever. There were definitely more skilled players on the board. I hope he proves me wrong though, but Im beginning to see why Burke gets alot of criticism for his drafting record.

Cant really comment on Percy since I dont know much about him.
I stopped reading there. You do realize Ottawa moved up after we picked Biggs, right? Had things remained the same after our pick, odds are he slips past Detroit and we get Puempel. BB's only option once Ottawa's trade went through was to call Shero and flip 25+ for 23, and I don't think Shero would have done it.

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:23 AM
  #81
jaateloauto
Nothing is overrated
 
jaateloauto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselPhaneufTML View Post
Very good point. Thats why they are called high risk high reward picks. When Kulemin was drafted he was also described to not have good skating and look at him now. You just have to hope they get better with the trainers on the team.
Kulemin was always a strong skater. Despite what the stats say about him in KHL he wasn't a good finisher though. Many of his goals were the product of his linemates. This was reflected in the scouting reports of the time and showed in his first two years in the NHL, he had low success when presented with great scoring chances.

jaateloauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:42 AM
  #82
calcal798
Registered User
 
calcal798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
I see it. Has 2nd line upside. Will most likely be a 3rd line scorer ala Versteeg(20/25). Watching him alot makes you see it
3rd potential is greater then 2nd line, and top 4 d?

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:47 AM
  #83
calcal798
Registered User
 
calcal798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Hockeyprospects identified Stuart Percy has a possible draft day steal and "We love his hockey IQ and project him as a future top 4 NHL defenseman." They say his frame will accept more muscle. More a puck mover than a puck carrier. Is used in every situation and is acknowledged by scouts and peers as extremely intelligent.

HP ranked him 19th.
Burke's scouts know what needs to be done to these two players to get them to the NHL, and he'll make sure it gets done. It's just up to these young men to do the rest.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:50 AM
  #84
MisterT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kesselsnapSHOT View Post
WHAT? biggs can look at olesz and he'll be out for the season... If I wasn't sure that we'd be getting a #1 center then i'd probably be pissed too, but we got safe guys that are LEAFS fans, which can hype them up to be as good as they possibly can be. Oh and mika zibanejad, i feel for you man, a leafs fan that name's himself the sens new shiny prospect... that sucks.
Sorry but a guy with a 3rd line ceiling should not be a 1st round pick. Jensen, Rattie, Jenner, Saad all have top line potential and Biggs was drafted to play the role that Ross was drafted for last year. For every play that pans out, several fail and I'd prefer to have more offensively capable prospects chosen earlier in the draft.

Percy is the better of the two picks from yesterday and personally, the love-in with Americans with little to no proven record of winning, throughout the organization is getting a little tiring.

MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:52 AM
  #85
MaximAmirian
Registered User
 
MaximAmirian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Iran
Posts: 435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Where do you feel these two new prospects rank?

My opinion...

1) Nazem Kadri
2) James Reimer
3) Joe Colborne
4) Jake Gardiner
5) Matt Frattin
6) Keith Aulie
7) Jesse Blacker
8) Tyler Biggs
9) Stuart Percy
10) Jerry D'Amigo
11) Greg McKegg
12) Ben Scrivens
13) Brad Ross
14) Jussi Rynnas
15) Korbinian Holzer
16) Mark Owuya
17) Luca Caputi
18) Marcel Mueller
19) Sondre Olden
20) Daniel Brodin
21) Juraj Mikus
22) Kenny Ryan
23) Josh Nicholls
24) Simon Gysbers
25) Jamie Devane
26) Petter Granberg
27) Sam Carrick
28) Leo Komarov
29) Andrew MacWilliam
30) Andrew Crescenzi

List of prospects: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/toronto_maple_leafs
Definitely under Tlusty

MaximAmirian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:53 AM
  #86
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,231
vCash: 500
The chances of drafting actual top 6 scoring talent that late in the first round are pretty slim. We have an excellent second line. Our draft position offered nothing for the first line. Burke made safer choices for guys he wants to be bottom six. And if you hadn't notice, our bottom six is mediocre at BEST and to ont get destroyed in the first round of the playoffs you need better than that.

Burke should be looking at Boston right now as his template. Depth, defense, high end goaltending, underwhelming offensive star power. Because that's what the Leafs are the closest to being. The leafs have pieces in place for great defense (schenn, gunnarsson, gardiner, aulie) and good goaltending, what they need more than anything right now is a better ****ing coach.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:55 AM
  #87
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle
 
Erza Scarlet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Requiem
Posts: 8,289
vCash: 500
I really don't care if they're the sexy name or not from you people. Give it time to develop and maybe they become bluechippers. Definitely didn't think Washington and San Jose could take Kuznetov and Coyle, and then them become chippers.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:56 AM
  #88
Jack Bauer
Registered User
 
Jack Bauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cape Breton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,279
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
The chances of drafting actual top 6 scoring talent that late in the first round are pretty slim. We have an excellent second line. Our draft position offered nothing for the first line. Burke made safer choices for guys he wants to be bottom six. And if you hadn't notice, our bottom six is mediocre at BEST and to ont get destroyed in the first round of the playoffs you need better than that.

Burke should be looking at Boston right now as his template. Depth, defense, high end goaltending, underwhelming offensive star power. Because that's what the Leafs are the closest to being. The leafs have pieces in place for great defense (schenn, gunnarsson, gardiner, aulie) and good goaltending, what they need more than anything right now is a better ****ing coach.
NHL teams do not draft based on what they have right now. They draft based on who they think the best player will be professionally to start the 2013 season.

Free agency is where we will address our lineup holes.

Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:06 AM
  #89
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,882
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
NHL teams do not draft based on what they have right now. They draft based on who they think the best player will be professionally to start the 2013 season.

Free agency is where we will address our lineup holes.
Burke has said you pick BPA and then you make trades to fill holes earlier in an interview. It makes sense. Biggs has got everything we need and is one of those guys that can play with skilled players and piss a lot of people off while doing so. I'm pretty excited to watch him, Ross, Armdog and Frattin running around hitting people all game.

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:09 AM
  #90
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 11,231
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
NHL teams do not draft based on what they have right now. They draft based on who they think the best player will be professionally to start the 2013 season.

Free agency is where we will address our lineup holes.
IMO we have most of our top six picked through the 2013 season already. Kadri will be coming up, Kessel is going nowhere, I tihnk Burke sticks with Lupul and re-signs Kulemin and Grabovski. Five out of six right there, and I think you're right in that Burke is trying to get that third top-line talent *coughrichards via free agency.

But I also think that free agency is where 3rd line players get overpaid (armstrong making more than Grabo, significantly more htan Kulemin), and those are also the easiest players to develop. This first round was all about not having to have people like sjostrom, bozak, boyce etc in the lineup. The kind of guys people will convince themselves on like "yeah but they're excellent PK guys!" only because they've forgotten what it's like to have REAL depth. More to the point...depth you developed yourself and get cheap cheap cheap for their first few years in the league.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:13 AM
  #91
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 57,756
vCash: 500
Scouting reports - TSN Scout Grant McCagg:

TYLER BIGGS

Perhaps the most rugged forward to ever come out of the US development program, Biggs impressed scouts throughout the season with his robust and pro-style game. Strengths - Already built like a man, Biggs dominated his age group in terms of physical maturity and strength. Not afraid to drop the gloves or run over an opponent. Solid positional player, drives hard to the net, possesses a hard shot, strong character. Weaknesses - Feet and hands are average, limited offensive upside, lacks creativity. Prone to taking bad penalties, will need more discipline. NHL Upside - Has been compared to Los Angeles Kings' forward Kyle Clifford. Should be a tough, intimidating second or third-line winger who will battle hard.

STUART PERCY

Second-year OHLer contributed 43 assists and a +63 plus/minus rating in 89 games and playing a key role both offensively and defensively on a Memorial Cup finalist. Strengths - Smart, steady defender with solid puck-moving skills. Excellent poise and vision, rarely makes a glaring mistake. Good gap control and solid positionally. Reads the play well, exemplary work ethic and leadership qualities. Good vision and passing skills. Weaknesses - Not physically punishing, foot speed and shot will need to improve as he adds some strength. Quickness and pivots are average, shot could be harder. NHL Upside - Solid NHL defender who can kill penalties and provide secondary power play duties.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:20 AM
  #92
Voodoo Child
Lǎobǎn
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hangzhou-Suzhou
Country: China
Posts: 3,290
vCash: 500
1) Kadri
2) Reimer
3) Gardiner
4) Colborne
5) Aulie
6) McKegg
7) Frattin
8) Blacker
9) Biggs
10) Ross
11) Rynnas
12) Percy
13) Holzer
14) D'Amigo
15) Scrivens

Biggs = Ross with size who fights, but slightly less scoring (seriously this kid is huge. If he's 6'2 210 at 18, when he breaks in at 22 he'll be like 6'3 240).

Percy = Not really like any D we have in the system. Okay size (should play around 6'2 205ish) good passing and smart. He's like Gardiner I guess, just a little smarter but not in the same league skating-wise.

Voodoo Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:22 AM
  #93
calcal798
Registered User
 
calcal798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
IMO we have most of our top six picked through the 2013 season already. Kadri will be coming up, Kessel is going nowhere, I tihnk Burke sticks with Lupul and re-signs Kulemin and Grabovski. Five out of six right there, and I think you're right in that Burke is trying to get that third top-line talent *coughrichards via free agency.

But I also think that free agency is where 3rd line players get overpaid (armstrong making more than Grabo, significantly more htan Kulemin), and those are also the easiest players to develop. This first round was all about not having to have people like sjostrom, bozak, boyce etc in the lineup. The kind of guys people will convince themselves on like "yeah but they're excellent PK guys!" only because they've forgotten what it's like to have REAL depth. More to the point...depth you developed yourself and get cheap cheap cheap for their first few years in the league.
Agreed, his agent was on the radio yesterday, he really proved Toronto would be a place he wants to play.

At that point we will have 6 top six forwards, we just need to upgrade them.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:25 AM
  #94
DirtyDion03
Big Wheel
 
DirtyDion03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,882
vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Child View Post
1) Kadri
2) Reimer
3) Gardiner
4) Colborne
5) Aulie
6) McKegg
7) Frattin
8) Blacker
9) Biggs
10) Ross
11) Rynnas
12) Percy
13) Holzer
14) D'Amigo
15) Scrivens

Biggs = Ross with size who fights, but slightly less scoring (seriously this kid is huge. If he's 6'2 210 at 18, when he breaks in at 22 he'll be like 6'3 240).

Percy = Not really like any D we have in the system. Okay size (should play around 6'2 205ish) good passing and smart. He's like Gardiner I guess, just a little smarter but not in the same league skating-wise.
I'd say Percy is like Gunnar. He's very smart, makes the right plays and is exactly what turns into a good player. He's very quick at thinking the game, he sees it well, and he's going to be a great hockey player. But he's good at everything, everywhere, and he can do a lot. Gardiner is really exceptional skater and offensively, Percy is just a great all-around defenseman.

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:27 AM
  #95
Jack Bauer
Registered User
 
Jack Bauer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Cape Breton
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,279
vCash: 500
Anyone else think it could hurt Biggs to not play in the CHL?

If he's as tough as advertised he could benefit from playing a 60 game schedule where fighting is a penalty rather then a lesser NCAA schedule where he can't be as physical.

Hard to not see him in the OHL next year in my opinion.

Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:31 AM
  #96
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald
 
Mojo19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,891
vCash: 500
Above Jamie Devane, that's for sure.

What a waste of a pick.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:54 PM
  #97
Ratboy
The Samsquanch!
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,312
vCash: 500
so i take it most of you are upset with our picks?

Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:11 PM
  #98
leafsfuture
Registered User
 
leafsfuture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bauer View Post
Anyone else think it could hurt Biggs to not play in the CHL?

If he's as tough as advertised he could benefit from playing a 60 game schedule where fighting is a penalty rather then a lesser NCAA schedule where he can't be as physical.

Hard to not see him in the OHL next year in my opinion.
Hes not going to the OHL. Hes pumped to play for Miami, and is rooming with good friend and teammate JT Miller

As for the Biggs pick itself, I wasnt thrilled. I knew Burke wasnt going to trade of for Puempel, and I knew that Biggs had fallen a bit. Biggs does have limited offence, but if he was rated 15 on Bob Mckenzies list, it obviously means he has potential to be more than just a 3rd liner. His goal total isnt bad, and he clearly is a big time player -- scored goal to win the U-17s 2 years ago, and a big goal to send US to the final of the U-18s this year.

As for whats best for him, going to the OHL is useless as he will playing against kids of the same age he was before. In the NCAA he can play against guys in their 20s, and will work on his skating, fitness and game down low

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:27 PM
  #99
Confucius
Registered User
 
Confucius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
goddamnit **** Biggs, I was so pumped and then I get home to see we traded the 30th and kept wondering for what, rush to see and it's BIGGS?

This guy is a ****ing dolt. 7 goals in 20 games in one of "The most dominant US teams" Peumpel and Jensen still on the board and we take the new Rotislav Olesz :/

GOD

WHY
Peumpel and Jensen played in the OHL, need we say more?

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:31 PM
  #100
Michael Gary Scott
Toronto Maple Tron's
 
Michael Gary Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,863
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Kadri Fan View Post
Once Kadri, Reimer, Aulie graduate this fall, and Biggs proves a lot of you wrong wherever he plays, its going to be:

1) Joe Colborne
2) Jake Gardiner
3) Tyler Biggs
4) Greg McKegg
6) Matt Frattin
7) Brad Ross
8) Sondre Olden (I have a feeling about this guy)
9) Jesse Blacker
10) Stuart Percy
11) Ben Scrivens
12) Jerry D'amigo
13) Jussi Rynnas
13) Luca Caputi
14) Marcel Mueller
15) Korbinian Holzer
Close, Scrivens should be MUCH higher. Hes the real deal. I think hes going to be better than Reimer.

Michael Gary Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.