HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers acquire Tim Erixon, 5th ('11) for Horak, two 2nds ('11); Erixon signs ELC

Old
05-31-2011, 06:34 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Rangers acquire Tim Erixon, 5th ('11) for Horak, two 2nds ('11); Erixon signs ELC

Jan Erixon's kid. Born in Port Chester,NY and raised in Sweden.

Calgary has until June 1(tomorrow) to sign Tim Erixon or he will re-enter the draft in June with Calgary receiving the 53rd pick in 2011 as compensation. Either Erixon does not want to be a Flame or its a money issue.

Quote:
Calgary is now into crunch time with prospect Tim Erixon as he has to be signed by June 1st or they forfeit their rights to the player. Both sides have been in conversation and Calgary does anticipate a deal, but what if? My gut tells me the kid signs and has a real long look during training camp.
http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/r...lflames-notes/

The Rangers already traded for Erixon's second cousin Oscar Lindberg. Lindberg's mother is Jan Erixon's first cousin. The Rangers have until next June to sign Lindberg.

Apparently Erixon was lights out in the Swedish elite league playoffs. He played for Sweden in the World Championships.

Scouting report from his draft year

Quote:
Red Line Report
"Nice mix of size, strength, skating and physical presence, though we'd like to see him play physically more often. Has power in stride and mobility is quite strong. Likes to carry the puck in deep or join the rush, and will also slide in off the point to create scroing chances. Makes accurate, firm outlets and good decisions both with and without the puck in all three zones. Pivots well and keeps feet moving nicely against speed rushes. Has an excellent point shot with great variation in his shot selection -- at times shoots specifically looking for rebounds or deflections, and can crank up a big blast at the right moment. Nice vision and overall hockey sense. Not as spectacular offensively as [teammate David] Rundblad, but a safer bet and more complete player in all three zones. Great bloodlines as his father, Jan, was a longtime defensive gem and shutdown checking winger for the Rangers."
http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=47366

Jay Grossman is his agent. He also represents Lindberg. Grossman must be planning on Erixon playing in the KHL. Grossman also represented Jan Erixon. So there's the Grossman connection with the family. Grossman also represented Brian Leetch who is best friends with Erixon who attended Leetch's retirement ceremony.

#15 on THN's Future Watch list. Steady game at both sides of the rink. Skates well enough to join the rush and chip in with the offense. Smart defender. Had his best offensive year in the SEL.

The Rangers have #45 in 2011. Calgary gets #53 if they can't sign Erixon.

#45 and something else(Valentenko?) for Erixon. Valentenko gives Calgary a younger and cheaper option on D. Something Erixon is supposed to give them.

Last edited by RangerBoy: 06-01-2011 at 03:15 PM.
RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:43 AM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Jan Erixon's kid. Born in Port Chester,NY and raised in Sweden.

Calgary has until June 1(tomorrow) to sign Tim Erixon or he will re-enter the draft in June with Calgary receiving the 53rd pick in 2011 as compensation. Either Erixon does not want to be a Flame or its a money issue.

http://blog.rogersbroadcasting.com/r...lflames-notes/

The Rangers already traded for Erixon's second cousin Oscar Lindberg. Lindberg's mother is Jan Erixon's first cousin. The Rangers have until next June to sign Lindberg.

Apparently Erixon was lights out in the Swedish elite league playoffs. He played for Sweden in the World Championships.

Scouting report from his draft year

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=47366

Jay Grossman is his agent. He also represents Lindberg. Grossman must be planning on Erixon playing in the KHL. Grossman also represented Jan Erixon. So there's the Grossman connection with the family. Grossman also represented Brian Leetch who is best friends with Erixon who attended Leetch's retirement ceremony.

#15 on THN's Future Watch list. Steady game at both sides of the rink. Skates well enough to join the rush and chip in with the offense. Smart defender. Had his best offensive year in the SEL.

The Rangers have #45 in 2011. Calgary gets #53 if they can't sign Erixon.

#45 and something else(Valentenko?) for Erixon. Valentenko gives Calgary a younger and cheaper option on D. Something Erixon is supposed to give them.
I'd be thrilled to grab Erixon, although I'd like to keep Valentenko if possible.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:44 AM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
I'd love to get Erixon. He's a very, very good prospect.

I'd do the proposed deal. He would probably be drafted in the 1st round.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:53 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Lindberg and Erixon were Skelleftea teammates.

Everybody will be gunning for this kid if he's available. I would say after Rundblad and Larsson he's the third best Swedish defenseman not playing in the NHL, but some might say he benefitted from playing with Rundblad (although I dont think they were a pair at ES).

Problem for him is that the Rangers are deep on defense. If the Rangers acquire him before the draft, then I would entertain trading one of ur d-man assets (MacIlrath and the 45th for a top-10 this year???)

But, you have to be concerned with these kids from the NY area who go to the Rangers. Ferraros, Jessiman, Sanguinetti, Higgins. For some reason they never make a name for themselves here.

Then again, Brian Mullen and Nicky Fotiou seemed to do just fine.

If this kid has 1/2 of his dad's determination and defensive awareness, he'll be a great add. Remember, Mario Lemieux at the peak of his career said Jan Erixon was the toughest defensive forward he ever played against.

We'll see.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:55 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Lindberg and Erixon were Skelleftea teammates.

Everybody will be gunning for this kid if he's available. I would say after Rundblad and Larsson he's the third best Swedish defenseman not playing in the NHL, but some might say he benefitted from playing with Rundblad (although I dont think they were a pair at ES).

Problem for him is that the Rangers are deep on defense. If the Rangers acquire him before the draft, then I would entertain trading one of ur d-man assets (MacIlrath and the 45th for a top-10 this year???)

But, you have to be concerned with these kids from the NY area who go to the Rangers. Ferraros, Jessiman, Sanguinetti, Higgins. For some reason they never make a name for themselves here.

Then again, Brian Mullen and Nicky Fotiou seemed to do just fine.

If this kid has 1/2 of his dad's determination and defensive awareness, he'll be a great add. Remember, Mario Lemieux at the peak of his career said Jan Erixon was the toughest defensive forward he ever played against.

We'll see.
Erixson was born in NY, but I believe he played all of his hockey (including youth) in Sweden. I don't think that qualifies him in comparison to players born and raised in/around NY -- especially because Swedish hockey development is far superior.

Old
05-31-2011, 06:55 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Jan was one of the heart & sould guys back when I first started watching the Rangers. Then the poor guy leaves to go back to Sweden the seson before we won the cup after being here for years. I felt bad for him, he was the first guy I thought of after the excitement from the win wore off.

Would love to have his son on the team, sounds like a great player to have.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:37 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

He was lights out at the WJC's. I'd love to get him.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Ola

I would definitely not mind to get Tim Erixon.

If David Rundblad was on the table, I would start throwing "core" pices out there in "proposals". Cause he has potential elite PP ability.

In terms of overall skill level, I would compare Tim Erixon to Fedor Tyutin. In terms of PP style, Edler of Vancouver can also be mentioned. He is in that neighboorhood. Toots never established himself on the PP in the NHL -- but I was always puzzled by that. He had the ability, but just didn't take the opertunity he was given. He struggled. Edler is a kid who basically is as talented as Toots, but a player who took the opertunity he was given and now is a solid PPQB (33 pts in 55 games this season for Van).

If we got Rundblad, I would be very confident that he had it in him to become a solid NHL PPQB, I would raise small questionmarks as regards his overall game/defense, but no big worries. With Erixon I would raise fewer questionmarks about his ability to become a solid NHLer, but I am not sold on him becomming like a 40-45+ pts PPQB in the NHL. But you never know (see Edler for example). He also have potential. Look at kids liek Letang and Enström. I mean, these guys aren't super talented, but they are smart and just gets it done so well in the NHL. Erixon is also darn smart. Its not about raw ability, its about stepping out there and embracing the NHL game, the pace, the pressure.

No matter what you would get a valuble asset. I am not sure what CAL's asking price is, but notwithstanding what you pay, you take him to the NHL and get him some experience, and you could always swing him in another deal for the same worth we got for Toots which is very high. Probably worth more then a half late 1st round pick.

Last edited by Ola: 05-31-2011 at 08:27 AM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:28 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

If that kind of deal got it done, I'd probably be on board. Erixon is a solid all around defender who would be a nice asset on the PP. However, I'd be shocked if that kind of offer actually got Calgary's attention. If they dangled him this afternoon, I'd imagine they could get a better return.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:31 AM
ReverbAndDelay
Old Time Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCollarBlueBlood View Post
Jan was one of the heart & sould guys back when I first started watching the Rangers. Then the poor guy leaves to go back to Sweden the seson before we won the cup after being here for years. I felt bad for him, he was the first guy I thought of after the excitement from the win wore off.

Would love to have his son on the team, sounds like a great player to have.
I loved Jan. He was without a doubt one of my favorites and I remember having the same thoughts about him and Beezer.

regardless, I'd love to see him wearing the rangers colors, that's for damn sure.

ReverbAndDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:11 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Erixson was born in NY, but I believe he played all of his hockey (including youth) in Sweden. I don't think that qualifies him in comparison to players born and raised in/around NY -- especially because Swedish hockey development is far superior.
True. I forgot Jan went back to Sweden in 1993-94. Tim Erixon spent as much time in the NYC as Kei Igawa.

But, you cant deny the bad luck this team has had with "local" guys.

If I had a choice between the local defenseman from Bellport or the "local" defenseman from Sweden, I'm taking Jan's kid 100 times out of 100

Last edited by GWOW: 05-31-2011 at 11:23 AM.
GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:54 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Depth on D hasn't stopped the Rangers from drafting a D or acquiring a young D? The Rangers have enough young assets excluding their #1 pick,young roster players and the blue chip guys(Kreider,McIlrath,maybe Thomas)to put together a deal for Erixon IF Calgary is unable to negotiate a contract with Grossman. Entry level contracts are not that hard to negotiate.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:04 AM
Chalfdiggity3

Id love to have Ericson and i guess i would do that deal, although i do believe that V-Tank will make the Rangers this year.

Chalfdiggity3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
If that kind of deal got it done, I'd probably be on board. Erixon is a solid all around defender who would be a nice asset on the PP. However, I'd be shocked if that kind of offer actually got Calgary's attention. If they dangled him this afternoon, I'd imagine they could get a better return.
Its kind of hard to figure out why he isn't signing with Calgary?

I mean, if he wants to stay another year in Sweden, that's understandable. I would probably recommend it to him anyway. Like he wasn't the "main" guy in the SEL last season, maybe he wants to really establish himself before he heads over.

But most guys in that situation signs wtih the team drafting them but gets a option to not show up for camp instead of re-entering the draft.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:37 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Gee, I'd love to get him. Jan Erixon was one of my all time favorites and the reports on Tim are certainly very good. I would think we have more than enough assets to make a trade if the Flames feel they can't sign him and the Rangers want to make a deal.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:42 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Red Line Report
"Nice mix of size, strength, skating and physical presence, though we'd like to see him play physically more often. Has power in stride and mobility is quite strong. Likes to carry the puck in deep or join the rush, and will also slide in off the point to create scroing chances. Makes accurate, firm outlets and good decisions both with and without the puck in all three zones. Pivots well and keeps feet moving nicely against speed rushes. Has an excellent point shot with great variation in his shot selection -- at times shoots specifically looking for rebounds or deflections, and can crank up a big blast at the right moment. Nice vision and overall hockey sense. Not as spectacular offensively as [teammate David] Rundblad, but a safer bet and more complete player in all three zones. Great bloodlines as his father, Jan, was a longtime defensive gem and shutdown checking winger for the Rangers."

Based on that, I would love to draft him. He would be another Swede to add to the list of Swedish Rangers and he seems like a very good prospect.

Unfortunately, I wasn't alive to see Jan Erixon, but I know he was definitely very good based on what I hear and what I know just from my own history of the Rangers. This kid, being his son, seems like a great player to get.

Sometimes I wish these "Proposals" were "Rumors"... One can only wish though.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:52 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

God damn, please sign this kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pmj23CxvOo

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:57 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
There are a couple of legacy players that I've always hoped the Rangers were able to acquire. This is one of them. He's really got the tools to succeed in the NHL and not just as an average player. I love the way Kreider has turned out but at the time I really wanted the Rangers to pick Erixon, Schroeder, or Ashton.

I was always a huge fan of Jan Erixon. If you want to learn how to kill penalties, watch some old footage of Jan, dude was a PK genius. I saw him one game skate the puck down the ice out of the zone then turn around and take it back then ice the puck back down, killed half the penalty. No one expected him to take the puck back into his own end. He played keep away, it was hysterical.

Other Legacy players I'd love to see the Rangers acquire are Landon Ferraro and Brok Beukeboom. The latter even if he becomes just a 4th line banger, I don't care, imagine if the Garden gets to roar his name every time he lays out a hit.....again!!!!

I'd say Kundratek and the Washington pick.

Erixon is a solid upgrade over Teck even though I really like Teck.

Last edited by vipernsx: 05-31-2011 at 11:02 AM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:58 AM
CM PUNK

sign me up for this

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:02 PM
TheRedViper

Where could we expect Erixon to go in the draft should he re-enter?

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:06 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
Where could we expect Erixon to go in the draft should he re-enter?
I would think top-10. He is NHL ready now.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:20 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

So what's the deal, though? Is it expected that Erixon won't sign or is this just throwing around the idea? I'd love to get him but is this really a possible turn of events or just a farfetched what if?

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:27 PM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
So what's the deal, though? Is it expected that Erixon won't sign or is this just throwing around the idea? I'd love to get him but is this really a possible turn of events or just a farfetched what if?
I'm sure Calgary is still trying to sign him, but with less than 12 hours to complete the deal at this point, I certainly wouldn't discount the possibility of him re-entering the draft -- if it wasn't a possibility, why the heck would they be cutting it so close.

Old
05-31-2011, 12:51 PM
McRanger

If Erixon is NHL ready and definitely leaving the SEL, perhaps Del Zotto would be involved in an expanded deal.

With Staal, McDonagh and Erixon on the left side (all under the age of 24) I wonder where DZ would fit.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 01:05 PM
ecemleafs

even if he doesnt get signed or traded, it would benefit us in hoping a forward falls in the draft to 15 if erixon is highly rated enough to go that high in this draft.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote