Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Top-4 UFA Dman to the Wild a Necessity

Old
06-25-2011, 12:53 AM
nickschultzfan

vCash: 500
Top-4 UFA Dman to the Wild a Necessity

All of us are still shocked from the Burns trade, whether that shock is good or not. That discussion is for another thread.

However, it seems that signing a UFA Dman to a big contract is a must now. A guy who can log big minutes and bring the offense.

Here's a list of some of the top UFA Dmen. (Sorry if this list is incomplete or incorrect, just copying and pasting).

Player Team Salary Points
Jovanovski, Ed PHO D UFA 6,000,000 14
Hamrlik, Roman MON D UFA 5,500,000 33
Hannan, Scott WAS D UFA 4,500,000 11
Pitkanen, Joni CAR D UFA 4,500,000 35
Kaberle, Tomas BOS D UFA 4,250,000 47
McCabe, Bryan NYR D UFA 4,150,000 28
Bieksa, Kevin VAN D UFA 3,500,000 22
Rivet, Craig CLB D UFA 3,500,000 4
Salo, Sami VAN D UFA 3,500,000 7
Ehrhoff, Christian VAN D UFA 3,400,000 50
Witt, Brendan NYI D UFA 3,000,000 0
White, Ian SJ D UFA 2,999,995 26
Wallin, Niclas SJ D UFA 2,500,000 8
Vandermeer, J EDM D UFA 2,300,000 14
Staios, Steve CGY D UFA 2,200,000 10
Hejda, Jan CLB D UFA 2,000,000 20
Sopel, Brent MON D UFA 2,000,000 5
Huskins, Kent SJ D UFA 1,900,000 10
Martinek, Radek NYI D UFA 1,900,000 16
Stuart, Mark ATL D UFA 1,675,000 6
Skrastins, Karlis DAL D UFA 1,650,000 8

IMO, we need to sign one of Erhoff or Pitkanen, with Bieska, Wiznewski, or White being tier 2.

Last edited by nickschultzfan: 06-25-2011 at 01:15 AM.
nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:12 AM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

With Burns traded, that gives us.

Schultz-Zids
Zanon-Scandella
Barker-Spurgeon
Stoner

With that in mind, I'd really like to see Fletch get more aggressive and trade two-three defensemen (I said other than Burns, anyone on our blue line is fair game to be traded in my book). We have roughly 15 million to fill in our roster: If we trade 2-3 defensemen, My ideal choices via free agency are lefty pick: Pitkanen and righty pick: Wiznewski. Forward wise, I hope we fill out the bottom six and maybe sign another center.

Really, I know the blue line looks like a ****ing mess right now but I feel a few trades and signings, we can completely overhaul it. Another draft day of potential trades tomorrow and with July 1st coming up, I'm really excited going forward!

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:13 AM
BLBarmada

Erhofff please !!!!!!

Erhoff would be my dream.

Bieksa would beat most likely.

Shoot would be hamrlik,mcabbe, rivet

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:14 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Honestly, Fletcher did the smart move instead of piddling around in a shallow pool for a forward, he gets a star forward for a defenseman and now can find a defenseman in a deeper pool.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:55 AM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Honestly, Fletcher did the smart move instead of piddling around in a shallow pool for a forward, he gets a star forward for a defenseman and now can find a defenseman in a deeper pool.
This.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:59 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Personally sign Mark Stuart (lol he was drafted 2 slots after Burns) and Pitkanen and then call it quits.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:01 AM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Personally sign Mark Stuart (lol he was drafted 2 slots after Burns) and Pitkanen and then call it quits.
Isn't Mark Stuart signed for three years with Winnipeg?

Old
06-25-2011, 02:06 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Damn it! He is!

Old
06-25-2011, 02:08 AM
State of Hockey

How about we don't sign someone. Rebuild from within. Signing an expensive veteran gets us where?

Last edited by State of Hockey: 06-25-2011 at 02:15 AM.
State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:14 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Hope about we don't sign someone. Rebuild from within. Signing an expensive veteran gets us where?
As has been said above, there are a lot more D-men on the market than there are scoring forwards. This is a good year to be buying UFA D-men, particularly when you compare it to where we'd be if we were still on the market for a UFA top-6 forward. With the amount of cap space and the flooded market, we don't have to overpay someone––not every UFA deal has to be a Cullen-style overpayment.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:17 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

As well, there are some good, young defenseman out there that can be had for a song and a dance. Defensemen can usually play a bit longer than forwards.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:19 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
As has been said above, there are a lot more D-men on the market than there are scoring forwards. This is a good year to be buying UFA D-men, particularly when you compare it to where we'd be if we were still on the market for a UFA top-6 forward. With the amount of cap space and the flooded market, we don't have to overpay someone––not every UFA deal has to be a Cullen-style overpayment.
As I said before, where does that get us? Back to 10th-worst? Mediocre land until that signed player is gone? Trading Brent Burns and then signing a decent UFA is like trying to drive a car down two different roads. You can't do it. This team has turned onto Trade Brent Burns Lane and must stick to it for the foreseeable future.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:37 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
As I said before, where does that get us? Back to 10th-worst? Mediocre land until that signed player is gone? Trading Brent Burns and then signing a decent UFA is like trying to drive a car down two different roads. You can't do it. This team has turned onto Trade Brent Burns Lane and must stick to it for the foreseeable future.
Being terrible doesn't magically make you great. Trading Burns wasn't about making the team bad in the hopes that someday that will make us better; it was about adding depth and youth. Signing a decent UFA doesn't somehow undo that. It does make the next year or two before that talent starts hitting the NHL so much more bearable. It keeps butts in seats, which keeps the team able to spend up to the cap. It also keeps the front office from being run out of town with pitchforks and torches.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:39 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

That and when our youth starts hitting, we have solid veterans on the blueline to keep mistakes to a minimal :p

Old
06-25-2011, 02:54 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Being terrible doesn't magically make you great. Trading Burns wasn't about making the team bad in the hopes that someday that will make us better; it was about adding depth and youth. Signing a decent UFA doesn't somehow undo that. It does make the next year or two before that talent starts hitting the NHL so much more bearable. It keeps butts in seats, which keeps the team able to spend up to the cap. It also keeps the front office from being run out of town with pitchforks and torches.
No, that's exactly what it was.

Here's the deal. The keys are being handed over to players early in their development stage or not even with the organization yet. Signing a veteran now goes completely against the direction taken by trading Burns. Grabbing someone now eats up NHL ice time, limits roster flexibility, and potentially keeps the team in that mediocre pick range which inhibits future building. You wait with the big signings until you're ready to turn the page and compete, a la July 2006. We're not ready yet.

Old
06-25-2011, 02:58 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Signing a UFA defenseman doesn't mean there won't be plenty of young/rookie blueliners next year. You want to let rookies step up, no question. But they can learn a lot when surrounded by competent veterans, and it's also more difficult to make progress when you're saddled with constant failure no matter how much you step up your game.

Also your comments seem to suggest you actively want the team to lose in the short-term, rather than accept it as a natural consequence of the development process. That's really, really ****ed up.

Old
06-25-2011, 03:05 AM
State of Hockey

We have the veterans we need. Zidlicky, Schultz, Zanon. . . that's old enough. If you want the Scandellas and Stoners and Spurgeons of the world to grow, you don't go out and make sure they stay in the bottom-6.

Quote:
Also your comments seem to suggest you actively want the team to lose in the short-term, rather than accept it as a natural consequence of the development process. That's really, really ****ed up.
Yes, for two reasons:

1. Because it's what this team needs to do.
2. Because it's what this team is now doing.

So yeah, you just said Fletcher and Co. is you-know-what.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:27 AM
BigT2002

Joni is the only one in there I would even blink at trying to sign. The kids can hold their own, they need help from the forwards and hopefully our scoring goes up. The real issue is do we resign Jose again....

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:05 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I do think this team needs to go out and get a quality defenseman in free agency. The "core" of the defense is pretty much depleted with the Burns trade. Right now here are the guys we have under contract:

Zidlicky, 34 (2 years)
Zanon, 31 (1 year)
Schultz, 28 (3 years)
Stoner, 26 (1 year)

A lot of people assume Stoner is here long term but that's not the case at all. He's a UFA next year even if he was a rookie last year. Zanon is gone as well.

Here are our RFA's and key prospects:

Prosser, 25
Barker, 24
Genoway, 24
Falk, 22
Scandella, 21
Spurgeon, 21
Cuma, 21
Brodin, 17

Of those guys, you could argue only Brodin and Scandella have the potential to be top pairing guys; the rest are likely depth defensemen if they make the NHL.

So in two years, we have Schultz at 30 years old and a bunch of very young players. We also have very few defensemen who play a physical, shut down game. And right now arguably we have only one defenseman who can move the puck well, and he can't stay healthy. I'd say that opens up at least one spot that can be filled in free agency.

Here are four guys I'd like to see the Wild target:

Joni Pitkanen, 27
$4.5m last year
6'3 210 lbs
72gp 5g 35pts -2 60 PIM
Good puck moving defenseman with size who can play a lot of minutes, but very injury prone.

Kevin Bieksa, 30
$3.5m last year
6'1 198 lbs
66gp 6g 22pts +32 73 PIM
Physical defenseman who can shoot the puck and play lots of minutes, but has injury concerns and isn't very offensive minded.

Christian Ehrhoff, 28
$3.4m last year
6'2 203 lbs
79gp 14g 50pts +19 52 PIM
Big defenseman who can move and shoot the puck and play big minutes, potentially top pairing material, not terribly physical though.

James Wisniewski
$3.25m last year
5'11 205 lbs
75gp 10g 51 pts -14 38 PIM
Puck mover who can put up points and play physical, but has bounced around and is inconsistent, not very big.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:14 AM
nickschultzfan

Not sure if Carolina is interested, but I would suggest Barker + Zanon for the rights to Pitkanen + 3rd rounder. He's only 27, is an offensive Dman, and can log big minutes.

Did anybody notice that Fletcher did not mention Barker at all when he was discussing the "talent" left on the blueline?

Add Pitkanen (5-6 years, $4-5 million/year) and add Scandella to the roster (pray he makes the leap)

Pitkanen-Schultz
Zidlicky-Scandella
Stoner-Spurgeon
Falk/Prosser

nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:34 AM
BLBarmada

While we coould use and do need a defender, I'm fine with letting the kids run with it.

I think Pitkanen is a great fit for us and is about to start his prime. Bieksa would be great too. Getting both would be a dream.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Dampland

vCash: 50
Quote:
How about we don't sign someone. Rebuild from within. Signing an expensive veteran gets us where?

I agree, SAVE the cap space, the WILD aren't going to do anything this season anyways, so why waste the money?

Bring up the kids, give our young blueliners plenty of ice time so we can really see what we have.

Then next year, if none of the young D-men step, we can go out and spend some money to get a Veteran DMAN.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:56 AM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
I agree, SAVE the cap space, the WILD aren't going to do anything this season anyways, so why waste the money?

Bring up the kids, give our young blueliners plenty of ice time so we can really see what we have.

Then next year, if none of the young D-men step, we can go out and spend some money to get a Veteran DMAN.
That isn't a terrible idea either. My only point I was trying to make was they traded Burns, if they in addition trade say Barker and Zanon, looking into signing a free agent defensemen might be worth it. But I like this viewpoint too. See what we have, let some of these contracts expire and go from there.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:05 AM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post

I tend to disagree with you about this season. They should be better and if you get one of the better UFA d-men they could pass several teams for a playoff spot. If Barker gets released they would be at close to $50-52m vs. the $64m cap with a huge amount of money available for one defensive spot.

Seto/Koivu/PMB
Havlat/Wellman/Lats
Clutterbuck/Brodziak/Gillies
Nystrom/Almond/Cullen
Staubitz

Schultz/UFA (Pitkanen/Jovo/Erhoff)
Zidlicky/Scandella
Zanon/Stoner
Falk

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Also keep in mind we've been budgeting $6m+ for Burns next year, that is now freed up.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote