Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2004, 10:13 PM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

vCash: 500
Mellanby to the thrashers?

http://www.hadleyonsports.com/getRep...84511&size=595

It's not confirmed but would be an excellent addition to the third line. Good leadership skills too.

Old
07-24-2004, 12:15 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
If its true, looks like Atlanta just got their version of Andreychuk. I'd bet money that he averages like 4 pts/game against FL just to stick it to GM Keenan for pulling back several offers (while constantly making it lower) and not signing him back with FL. A true team player and I would say he could really help get you guys to the Cup in a 2 yrs.

Old
07-24-2004, 01:22 AM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
If it is true, which I personally feel it is, it'd be a very solid move for Atlanta. Here's hoping for you guys.

Old
07-24-2004, 02:00 PM
thrashers=cup05

KTRS RADIO IN ST. LOUIS REPORTED LAST NIGHT THE ATLANTA THRASHERS HAVE SIGNED FORWARD SCOTT MELLANBY TO A TWO-YEAR CONTRACT. FINANCIAL DETAILS WEREN'T RELEASED.

Got this from Spector's and he's usually right.

Old
07-24-2004, 02:01 PM
thrashers=cup05

Maybe he can help us with the rat problem in atlanta i hear he's pretty good at killing them.

Old
07-24-2004, 06:08 PM
Safir*

Oh my goodness what an awesome signing. Third line? I would say second line right winger.

Didn't Scott played first line minutes on a line with Demitra and Tkachuk (sp?)

Old
07-24-2004, 06:32 PM
VAThrasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha ACE
Didn't Scott played first line minutes on a line with Demitra and Tkachuk (sp?)
Yes, I know he did in 2002-2003 when he scored 13 PPG. Despite his age, assuming the signing is official, I think he probably goes into camp (whenever) as the number 2 RW - a commitment to which was likely important in convincing him to sign here. At the very least, he's an outstanding deflection/rebound/tie up a defenseman guy on the power play.

Old
07-24-2004, 10:59 PM
we will thrash you

This would be an interesting signing. I have no clue what line he'd play on.

Old
07-25-2004, 02:20 AM
Peter Sidorkiewicz
Kovalchuk Army

Current depth chart (as I see it for next season)
LW -Kovalchuk, Kozlov, Petrovicky, Larsen, Brennan
C - Savard, Stefan, Aubin, Simon, Santala?
RW - Heatley, McEachern, Mellanby, Vigier, Lessard
D - Modry, Havelid, Sutton, Tjarnqvist, Exelby, Majesky, Kloucek
G - Nurminen, Lehtonen, Hurme

IF we acquire a good number 2 center and possibly another scoring winger (which will allow McEachern and Stefan to play on the third line) then we have got the makings of a good playoff team. Fingers crossed.

Old
07-25-2004, 02:45 AM
Evgeny Oliker

ye, that chart looks good. do you guys think mellanby can play better than Mceachern (also RW) and get to the 2nd line? do u think mellanby can at least get some PP time? i think mcheachern's game is better suited for 3rd line...while mellanby can score better and should go on 2nd line. yes?

Old
07-25-2004, 03:32 AM
Amen evil king
Amen, Evil King

Any confirmations yet? I would like to see something semi-official before I get too excited about this

Old
07-25-2004, 08:00 AM
dunwoody_joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sidorkiewicz
Current depth chart (as I see it for next season)
LW -Kovalchuk, Kozlov, Petrovicky, Larsen, Brennan
C - Savard, Stefan, Aubin, Simon, Santala?
RW - Heatley, McEachern, Mellanby, Vigier, Lessard
D - Modry, Havelid, Sutton, Tjarnqvist, Exelby, Majesky, Kloucek
G - Nurminen, Lehtonen, Hurme

IF we acquire a good number 2 center and possibly another scoring winger (which will allow McEachern and Stefan to play on the third line) then we have got the makings of a good playoff team. Fingers crossed.
If we go into the season with the above players, I see the line combos like this:

Heatley--Savard--Kozlov
Mellanby--Stefan--Ilya
Mc--Aubin--Petro
Brennan--Simon--Vigier (with Franny subbing JP for muscle)

I like this team a whole lot better with a legit #2 centerman though:

Heatley--Savard--Kozlov
Mellanby--#2 centerman--Ilya
Mc--Stefan--Aubin
Brennan--Simon--Petro

These lines offer so much more, plus there is flexibility to mix and match. Not to mention a little depth.

Old
07-25-2004, 09:56 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Your GM is right that the available crop of 2nd line centers (legit ones) isn't that great. There seem to be just 2 good options: Stumpel & Nylander if you're willing to spend about $2.5 mil/yr (Stumpel preferably). My suggestion is don't try to expect Mellanby play a 2nd line role that much. He is getting up there in age (38) but he does have a knack for scoring timely goals and is a great leader for a young team. My suggestion is flip-flopping him on the 2nd & 3rd line so that he can last those 2 yrs on the contract. By all logic, that Panthers team that he helped get rolling with his "rat trick" in 96 should've never been in the SCF. They just didn't have the superstar talent but it seems to me that Atlanta does with Heatley & Kovalchuk. If the defense plays up to par, the goaltending continues to improve, and you get a 2nd line center...can't see any reason why you guys can't be a replica of Tampa's success these past 2 yrs.

Old
07-25-2004, 12:05 PM
dunwoody_joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickFlick
Why the right wingers on the left and left wingers on right?
Just trying to trick you--but I can see that you are way too smart for the old "reverse the wingers" scam.

Any substantive contribution?

Old
07-25-2004, 01:01 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

I like it, but is a 38 year old what we really need on a very injury prone team?

I am a bit concerned about where DW is going to go as far as 2nd line C is concerned. That is much more of a priority than RW.

Old
07-25-2004, 01:29 PM
thrashers=cup05

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn
I like it, but is a 38 year old what we really need on a very injury prone team?

I am a bit concerned about where DW is going to go as far as 2nd line C is concerned. That is much more of a priority than RW.
I'm getting the feeling that we have some people lacking faith in my boy Patrick. Trust me, if you put him on a line with Mellanby this year and Kovy you will see a break out year for him offensively. Plus it's good having a defensive center with Kovy. Yes, he is playing defence quite nice today, but he still has a tendancy to be all offence at times like the game against Philly. Having a defensive center will help him because it means that he can concentrate on offence.

Old
07-25-2004, 03:05 PM
Mxpunk

Probably Stefan...

Old
07-25-2004, 04:43 PM
SlimJater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
Heatley--Savard--Kozlov
Mellanby--Stefan--Ilya
Mc--Aubin--Petro
Brennan--Simon--Vigier (with Franny subbing JP for muscle)
How bout:

Kozlov....Aubin....Heatley
Ilya......Savard....Mellanby
Mac.....Stefan.....Petro
Brennan..Simon...Lessard

With chemistry between Heatley-Kozlov, Ilya-Savard, and Mac-Stefan we can rotate three lines and bring in the goon line when trouble starts.

Old
07-25-2004, 06:15 PM
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJater
How bout:

Kozlov....Aubin....Heatley
Ilya......Savard....Mellanby
Mac.....Stefan.....Petro
Brennan..Simon...Lessard

With chemistry between Heatley-Kozlov, Ilya-Savard, and Mac-Stefan we can rotate three lines and bring in the goon line when trouble starts.
So Aubin gets shifted into the first line center slot simply by default? For this team to be a real solid threat, you need a second line center. I have said it before, Stefan could fill that role and be a decent second line center, or he could fill the third line role and be one of the best third line centers in the league.

That said, I agree the pickings are slim at the second line center position, but what about taking a chance on Jason Allison by offering a incentive structured contract for 1 or 2 years?

Old
07-25-2004, 06:56 PM
dunwoody_joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
So Aubin gets shifted into the first line center slot simply by default? For this team to be a real solid threat, you need a second line center. I have said it before, Stefan could fill that role and be a decent second line center, or he could fill the third line role and be one of the best third line centers in the league.

That said, I agree the pickings are slim at the second line center position, but what about taking a chance on Jason Allison by offering a incentive structured contract for 1 or 2 years?
I agree with Jim. Patty could be a premier #3 centerman that could spot up on the 2nd line occasionally.

The pickings in the UFA pool are really slim for a #2 centerman but I think that DW needs to address the position in some way. The entire lineup sets up nicely with a real #2 centerman.

So, if UFA route is preferred then I see the choices as: Zhamnov, Stumpel, Nylander, Nedved, Brylin, ?Lindros.

I suppose it depends on how much money DW has to spend. A guy like Zhamnov would sure look nice centering Ilya and whomever. He could double up on the 1st line as necessary and even log significant powerplay minutes. I think the two Russians could really light it up!

Stumpel and Nylander are the safer choices. Nedved is a risk. Brylin more of a risk (can he really step up to #2 center) and Lindros the biggest risk of all. Frankly, I would pass on Lindros unless he came to us for an incentive laden contract. He's not a DW "character player".

Old
07-25-2004, 11:48 PM
SlimJater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim

I'm not trying to create a depth chart just throwing out some lines that might look good at even strength. Everyone knows Aubin would not get first line ice time even if these lines happened. Of course a better center would make the team look better but aquiring a center is not going to make or break next years dream of the playoffs.

Old
07-26-2004, 02:43 AM
Lessard Fretter

Send a message via AIM to Lessard Fretter
This is a solid signing. Mellanby brings leadership & his signing means no more of us having to see Vigier struggle with 2nd & 3rd line mins a night.

I still say Vigier belongs in the minors, or as no more than our extra forward that plays a game here and there on the 4th line, if we are to be a playoff team.

Vigier earned his team worst plus-minus last season, too, IMHO.

Old
07-26-2004, 05:49 PM
c-carp

Scott is a hell of a pickup for your young team, I wish like heck the Blues could have found a way to keep him. He played well for us for 3 years. Good luck Mels.

Old
07-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Riggins

I think Nylander would be a great pickup for you guys.

Old
07-26-2004, 11:36 PM
Shameus

I think that Mellanby will be making 1.2 million this season, but I have not been able to find the length. Does anyone know if it is a one year or multi-year deal?

Also on a side note I found the following two contracts.
Tjarnqvist makes 1.2million
Sutton makes 1.0 million

Does anyone find it little strange that Tranquist makes more than Sutton. Or that he makes more than a million period.

Closed Thread