HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around The NHL Part XVI

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2011, 03:44 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
Except Kovalchuk, but there's a colorable argument that that decision was outside Lamoriello's control.
I totally agree with you, despite the fact that it pretty much contradicts everything I said. Kovalchuk without question is the outlier. Maybe someone else was potentially waiting in the wings...

Old
07-11-2011, 04:17 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Newport Sports represents Zach Parise. He will be Brad Richards next July 1. Same agency as Richards. He will be the premiere free agent in the market. How many presentations will be presented to Parise next year?
None, because he's obviously going to sign with us to stick it to Lams for screwing him over.

Old
07-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
None, because he's obviously going to sign with us to stick it to Lams for screwing him over.
Drool. Zach Parise is my favorite Non-Ranger. I hate that he's a Devil but he oozes everything I want in a player.

Old
07-11-2011, 04:48 PM
asparkoflife

Im predicting Parise gets a 1 yr deal and then hits UFA next July 1. He will NOT be a Devil after this season.

Old
07-11-2011, 04:51 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusted View Post
Im predicting Parise gets a 1 yr deal and then hits UFA next July 1. He will NOT be a Devil after this season.
Let's just hope he doesn't wind up in Philly...

Old
07-11-2011, 07:54 PM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I'm glad someone is bringing this up because I seem to be in the minority who think they're falling to pieces. The coach thing is unexplainable. Lemaire announced almost as soon as he took over for MacLean that he was just going to try to get them back on track for the rest of the year and that was going to be it for him. They've had months and months to find a guy and as far as I know they haven't even conducted an interview. Lou's taking over again?

Goaltending--Brodeur will be 40 and is on a decline. Hedberg--the backup is late 30's. Apparently they don't have enough faith in Frazee who is their premier prospect at the position. They did sign a college free agent Kinkaid who might turn into something.

Defense--Andy Greene is their replacement answer for Scott Niedermayer. Colin White is old. Henrik Tallinder is soft and kind of old. Anton Volchenkov is injury prone and wasn't all that effective last year. Corrente (former 1st rounder) looks like a 5-6 at best. Fayne gave them some nice minutes. Mark Fraser is a 6-7. They have a few nice prospects here--lottery pick Adam Larsson, Jon Merrill, Alexander Urbom.

Forward group-Parise-great player, Kovalchuk--great player (but only when he wants to be)--coaching nightmare. Other than Zajac and the two Swedish kids Tedenby, Josefsson everyone else with the exception of Clarkson is on the wrong side of 30. Prospect wise other than maybe Palmieri not a hell of a lot.

This team was a trainwreck last year when Lemaire came back and he re-installed the old trap style game to mask their deficiencies. It's back to being a trainwreck waiting to happen. The real future of the Devils player personnel wise is not hard to enumerate:
1. Parise 2. Larsson 3. Kovalchuk (they have no choice having given him such a long term expensive contract) 4. Josefsson 5. Tedenby 6. Zajac 7. Merrill--currently playing at Michigan U. 8. Urbom. Theyve got a subgroup to help out--Corrente, Palmieri, Fayne, Clarkson--maybe Henrique, Gelinas but that's not much.
Interested in making a bet on who finishes higher in the standings this season?

Old
07-11-2011, 08:44 PM
beastly115

For all the bragging Leafs fans are doing about their god-like second half to the season, they actually did pretty mediocre. These are the stats for the 2nd half of last season:

Second half standings:

New Jersey 28-10-3-59
Buffalo 25-11-5-55
Washington 25-11-5-55
Boston 24-13-4-52
Pittsburgh 23-13-5-51
Tampa Bay 22-13-6-50
Montreal 22-14-5-49
Philadelphia 21-13-7-49
Toronto 20-14-7-47
Carolina 20-16-5-45
Rangers 21-18-2-44
Islanders 17-18-6-40
Ottawa 16-21-4-36
Atlanta 14-21-6-34
Florida 11-20-10-32

What Toronto fans consider an excellent second half, is only 3 points better than what we did.

Zeke must have done the statistics on this one..

Old
07-12-2011, 01:04 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
You really need to swallow your pride.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:07 AM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
I don't think the Devils organization is what they once were, but should Lamierello hire a coach just to "get it over with"? I think taking his time with it is the more patient and intelligent way to go about, considering the issue the Devils have had with their coaches over the past decade or so. The organization needs stability at that position. Selecting a coach that will yet again be a part of that revolving door just for the sake of naming a coach doesn't benefit the organization in any way.

07-12-2011, 01:10 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimEIV View Post
id take that bet. but, unlike the rest of my fellow Ranger fans, I think the Devils are a playoff lock.

Right now here's how i see things shaping up next season...

1)Washington
2)Pittsburgh
3)Boston
4)NY Rangers
5)Tampa Bay
6)New Jersey
7)Tampa Bay
8)Philadelphia
9)Montreal
10)Buffalo
11)Carolina
12)Florida
13)Winnipeg
14)Toronto
15)Ottawa

i actually don't have anything against Canadian teams or Canadians in general....i just happen to think that 3 of the 4 Canadian teams in the East are terribad.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I don't think the Devils organization is what they once were, but should Lamierello hire a coach just to "get it over with"? I think taking his time with it is the more patient and intelligent way to go about, considering the issue the Devils have had with their coaches over the past decade or so. The organization needs stability at that position. Selecting a coach that will yet again be a part of that revolving door just for the sake of naming a coach doesn't benefit the organization in any way.
while i agree with much of this...if i were running a team id want my coach in place before the draft, and certainly before free agent frenzy. you want your coach to have some sort of say in who the team goes after...though i guess in the devils case it didnt really matter since they pretty much did nothing.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:14 AM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

I think NJ's defense will hold them back significantly.

I like their forward group, but the defense is in complete shambles. Larsson isn't going to help the team enough next season; I think they have some very good prospects at that position (Urbom, Larsson, Merrill, Burlon, Sova), but as it stands, I don't see them going anywhere with Andy Greene as their best puck mover and PP option.

My standings:

1) Pittsburgh
2) Washington
3) Buffalo
4) Boston
5) NYR
6) Tampa Bay
7) Montreal
8) Toronto

9) New Jersey
10) Philadelphia
11) Carolina
12) Florida
13) NYI
14) Winnipeg
15) Ottawa

And Inferno, you have TB twice.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:17 AM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
id take that bet. but, unlike the rest of my fellow Ranger fans, I think the Devils are a playoff lock.

1)Washington
2)Pittsburgh
3)Boston
4)NY Rangers
5)Tampa Bay
6)New Jersey
7)Tampa Bay
8)Philadelphia
9)Montreal
10)Buffalo
11)Carolina
12)Florida
13)Winnipeg
14)Toronto
15)Ottawa

i actually don't have anything against Canadian teams or Canadians in general....i just happen to think that 3 of the 4 Canadian teams in the East are terribad.
Buffalo is surprisingly low on your list.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:18 AM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

^ I thought the same.

Really like what they did. If Leino can click as the 2nd line center, they'll be a force, IMO.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:26 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:

1)Washington
2)Pittsburgh
3)Boston
4)NY Rangers
5)Tampa Bay
6)New Jersey
7)Tampa Bay
8)Philadelphia
9)Montreal
10)Buffalo
11)Carolina
12)Florida
13)Winnipeg
14)Toronto
15)Ottawa

1) Boston
2) NY Rangers
3) Washington
4) Pittsburgh (if healthy)
5) Tampa Bay
6) Buffalo
7) Montreal
8) Florida
9) Philadelphia
10) New Jersey
11) NY Islanders
12) Toronto
13) Winnipeg
14) Carolina
15) Ottawa

I really think florida makes the playoffs this year. BUT that all depends on their goaltending.

I think Boston takes #1 just because I'm not impressed with their division.
I'm not impressed with washington either. Still a great team though, and will finish in the top 3.
I think Pittsburgh is still a nice team but others are better. Plus Malkin and Crosby have been battling injury problems. Will Crosby be the same player when he gets back?
TB I like a lot. Great squad. I think Roloson gives them stable goaltending.
Buffalo has a pretty nice team all around and will be very tough to play against. The additions of Regher, Ehroff, and Leino will prove worthy for them.
Montreal still has a very solid team. They added Erik Cole to their forward mix. They have a pretty sound defense on the outset. I like their forward group.
I think Florida made a LOT of quality additions. Not just a bunch of names to meet the cap floor. I think they added a variety of players. Guys like Upshall, Campbell, Jovo, Fleischmann, Theodore, etc. They have a squad that can finish top 6 with the right coaching because thats a lot of new faces.
Philly is still so talented. So deadly. But I dont think they have enough experience to get the job done.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:30 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think Buffalo is being VASTLY overrated because they finally have an owner who decided to throw some money around, but they're definitely a playoff team.

Won't even challenge Boston for the division though.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:36 AM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

Quote:
I think Buffalo is being VASTLY overrated because they finally have an owner who decided to throw some money around, but they're definitely a playoff team.

You're underrating them if you think they won't even "challenge" Boston for the division lead.

They have 4 deep lines, a deep defensive core, and an excellent goaltender. They have depth, and they have the elite scorer that Boston doesn't have; Thomas Vanek.

Vanek's goal totals should increase with the powerplay Buffalo will be running next year.

Don't forget; Boston lost Michael Ryder and Kaberle, and replaced them with Corvo and Pouliot.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:39 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:

i think theyre going to suffer the drunken owner syndrome that we had during the decade of despair. owner spends like a madman, but the players wont produce on the ice. i dont particularly care for what the Sabres did.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:43 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
You're underrating them if you think they won't even "challenge" Boston for the division lead.

They have 4 deep lines, a deep defensive core, and an excellent goaltender. They have depth, and they have the elite scorer that Boston doesn't have; Thomas Vanek.

Vanek's goal totals should increase with the powerplay Buffalo will be running next year.

Don't forget; Boston lost Michael Ryder and Kaberle, and replaced them with Corvo and Pouliot.
They have Stafford, Roy, Vanek, Ennis, Myers, and Miller as their "stars." Very good crop there, i'll admit. However, Ehrhoff is being ridiculous overrated, I'd be surprised if Leino is an effective top 6 center, and i'm a big fan of Railroad but he's getting older and is a very solid yet unspectacular defensive d-man now.

The have very weak center depth. Where Buffalo is deep, Boston is just as deep.

The only way Boston is in trouble of losing the division is if Miller has a better season than he did last year and Thomas flops.

Maybe not even challenges is a strong sentiment, but i'd be very surprised if Buffalo does better than Boston.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:44 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
i think theyre going to suffer the drunken owner syndrome that we had during the decade of despair. owner spends like a madman, but the players wont produce on the ice. i dont particularly care for what the Sabres did.
I don't know about that, but I do think most if not every contract they laid out this year is super overpayment, and I know only cap hit matters in this day and age but i'm a little upset a 10 year contract for Christian Ehrhoff hasn't been lambasted a little more.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:47 AM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

A true 2nd line center is their only hole; and, considering Leino is a natural center, he could easily fit there. I think his style of play fits the position as well; he's a fantastic playmaker.

Not that high on Ehrhoff--I think they should have just stuck with Grangani, who impressed me greatly in the playoffs. He had great poise, and his puck skills are just as good as Ehrhoff's, but he'll probably end up the better defensive player. But, still; Ehrhoff is a legitimate 2nd pairing defenseman, who can help a PP and put up ~45 points--for a $4M cap hit, it's about right. Regehr and Myers is going to be a dominant pairing, I think.

Can't underestimate Roy being healthy, too.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:50 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

How good Vanek and Roy do are the biggest x-factor. If they had a healthy Roy and Vanek had a better season I think they would've been much better last year. I'm not at all impressed with most of their acquisitions past RR, though, and think how good they do rests on Vanek, Roy and Miller.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:51 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

my prediction...Leino is going to turn out to be the worst signing, by far, of the offseason.

Old
07-12-2011, 01:53 AM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

The Wisniewski signing was far worse.

Old
07-12-2011, 02:23 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

Quote: