HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Hainsey must be maturing..........

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Mooch

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Hainsey must be maturing..........

he took a pay cut for christ sakes.

Yes, i know he didnt deseve what he made last season, but we are talking about hollywood Hainsey here.

Anyways, im just a bit suprised at this, and also impressed at the same time. Hainsey must be maturing to some extent and learning (i hope) what it takes to succeed........bout damn time Hainsey

Old
07-23-2004, 10:14 PM
db23

Hainsey never got his $1.125 million a year. Those were NHL wages and he only had 30 odd NHL games over the two years, so he probably only collected NHL wages for about 3 months out of 3 years. The rest of the time he was working for about $8,000 a month probably. So there is no pay cut at all. If it is one way, he now makes about 10 times as much per month as he did the past three years.

Old
07-23-2004, 10:15 PM
Mooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by db23
Hainsey never got his $1.125 million a year. Those were NHL wages and he only had 30 odd NHL games over the two years, so he probably only collected NHL wages for about 3 months out of 3 years. The rest of the time he was working for about $8,000 a month probably. So there is no pay cut at all. If it is one way, he now makes about 10 times as much per month as he did the past three years.
So what percentage of their Salaries do they make in the AHL??

So much for Hainsey maturing, jeez..............

Old
07-23-2004, 10:30 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
So what percentage of their Salaries do they make in the AHL??

So much for Hainsey maturing, jeez..............

Hainsey likely made 60-75K while in the AHL. Most 2 way contracts don't pay more then 75-100K.

Old
07-23-2004, 10:30 PM
db23

I'm not sure exactly, but I don't think it is over $100,000 per year. When they are on the NHL rostor they get paid at their NHL rate, even if they are sitting on the bench. Komisarek spent about a month or so in the AHL last season, but the rest of the year he was in the NHL, so he probably got about 90% of his NHL wage, plus 10% of his AHL wage. For Hainsey it was the other way round. He was in the NHL for a month or so, and the rest of the year on the Bulldogs rostor. So he would have gotten 10% NHL money and 90% AHL money. Overall, Komo probably came close to earning $1 million last year, while Hainsey would be under $200,000 for the year.

Old
07-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Mooch

ok cool, thanks for clearing that up guys...........

Old
07-23-2004, 11:38 PM
Boutmania

Send a message via AIM to Boutmania Send a message via Yahoo to Boutmania
Smart analysis by DB23. I heard on LCN it was a one-way contract...Is it true?

Old
07-23-2004, 11:54 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boutmania
Yes they said it on RDS too. As i said in the other thread, that's why he signed for less.

Old
07-24-2004, 12:20 AM
CoupeStanley

Send a message via MSN to CoupeStanley
Quote:
I'm not sure exactly, but I don't think it is over $100,000 per year. When they are on the NHL rostor they get paid at their NHL rate, even if they are sitting on the bench. Komisarek spent about a month or so in the AHL last season, but the rest of the year he was in the NHL, so he probably got about 90% of his NHL wage, plus 10% of his AHL wage. For Hainsey it was the other way round. He was in the NHL for a month or so, and the rest of the year on the Bulldogs rostor. So he would have gotten 10% NHL money and 90% AHL money. Overall, Komo probably came close to earning $1 million last year, while Hainsey would be under $200,000 for the year.
Nice post.

I enjoy reading your post lately. You're becoming a very good poster. Your new position on Chipchura. I agree with you on Locke too, he have such a skillset, it's just a matter of getting lower body strenght. And he's a give it all kind of player. He was definitively a steal in the 4rd.

If only you would have a different point of view on Kostsitsyn. He's very raw in many facet of his game. But he is a good skater, is a thick guy and he has the kind of arsenal of shot that will fool any goalie, anywhere. It's just a matter of putting it together. A year in the AHL under Jarvis, will do wonder.

Old
07-24-2004, 12:45 AM
db23

I'm sure they will give Kostitsyn every chance. A top 10 draft pick is a precious commodity. I just think that most of the posters here have to adjust their expectations a lot in terms of how quickly he can become an NHL player and how productive he will be if he does. It is seldom a case of a player either being a star or a total bust, it is usually a question of how long they are able to hold down an NHL spot and how much they play while they are there.

A guy like Brad Brown, who most Montreal fans feel was a bust as a first round draft pick is still plugging along in the NHL 10 years later. He has never been a top four defenceman, likely never will be. Has to fight for his job every fall, moves from team to team. But he has a few hundred NHL games to his credit over the years, will likely get in a few hundred more. That is the way it is for the big majority of NHL players. I think that is the way it will be for Kostitsyn, and my main gripe is that I felt they passed over some better prospects when they drafted him.

But I'd be perfectly happy to be proven wrong.

Old
07-24-2004, 01:11 AM
NWT Habs Fan

Quote:
I think that is the way it will be for Kostitsyn, and my main gripe is that I felt they passed over some better prospects when they drafted him.

But I'd be perfectly happy to be proven wrong.
I hope so too, for the sake of the organization.

As for the draft, it's a crap shoot. How an 18 year old translates into a pro career as a 25 to 35 year old is often a stretch. I for one don't mind the Habs taking a bit of a gamble and going for the home run every now and then. If it pans out, they have a bona fide top line guy without having to trade away half the team to get him. If not, they likely will still get a reasonable capable player to fill a gap in the organization somewhere.

I still think it is too early to judge that others might have been better picks when some of those lower draft picks have been developing under a much more regimented environment. Kostitsyn played for 4 or 5 different squads last year, while most of the other top 20 were all playing for one club primarily. Kostitsyn didn't get the profile at the WJC since his country was relegated to Division 1. He ended up being left out by the quite enigmatic and quite contrary Victor Tikhonov.

He came to camp and was clearly a gifted offensive player compared to the other prospects. Sure his defensive game needs work, but just who would have worked on that with him while he was bouncing around Eastern Europe getting fitted up for different jerseys? He accomplished most of what he did this past season on skill and instinct. Give him some time with Jarvis and Co, and he will be a much better player.

By the same token that I like trying for the home run every now and then, I am also quite glad that the Kasty first round pick was surrounded by "safe" guys like Higgins and Chip. The prospect team is starting to develop some real character guys, and and that is what wins playoff series. Throw in the skill guys into the mix, and it could be fun to watch down the road...assuming the crap shoots goes in our favour!!

Old
07-24-2004, 01:23 AM
db23

Yeah, I just don't believe in that boom or bust thing. Pierre Dagenais probably has as much pure offensive skill as anyone on the team, but other things about him make it hard for a coach to send him out there for 20 minutes a game. So Daganais muddles along, being a "boom" player for a few shifts a game or a few games a year, and a "bust" player the rest of the time. The talent has to be mixed with the right attitude, fitness, courage, teamwork, sacrifice, concentration, etc. for it to be allowed to show itself night in and night out. There is no physical reason that Dagenais couldn't have a career similar to Dave Andeychuk, but he doesn't have the psychological makeup to do it.

Old
07-24-2004, 05:38 AM
rocketlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boutmania
According to RDS it is indeed a one-way contract and the amount is $1.5M for 2 years or $750,000 per year. I believe it's a good deal for both Hainsey and the Habs. Hainsey still hasn't proven he could be a regular 6th defenseman or better in the NHL and the Habs get a solid prospect signed for 2 years.

A two-year contract can't be considered medium or long term since there is a good chance there won't be any hockey played in the NHL this year. Whether it's this year or next year, Hainsey will have to prove quickly that he's a true blue NHLer because the next season he plays will be the last one he won't be exposed to the Waiver Draft.

Old
07-24-2004, 10:19 AM
V-2 Schneider

I am astounded by the delight some here have in believing gossip about a young player and his 'attitude'.Hollywood Hainsey? where does this nonsense come from?

Do any of you who think this kid has a bad attitude KNOW him, or those who coach him?It just becomes conventional wisdom for internet gossips and smear artists.'I hear"....is so lame and any idiot journalist looking to to stir the pot can make any claim about someone and how many accept it as fact? Would these same people believe the lies printed about their own families and friends if some guy said....'I hear that so and so"....

Now, Hainsey is tarred with an attitude problem that he has to overcome along with maturing into a starter.Nice, real nice.

Old
07-24-2004, 04:27 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-2 Schneider
I am astounded by the delight some here have in believing gossip about a young player and his 'attitude'.Hollywood Hainsey? where does this nonsense come from?

Do any of you who think this kid has a bad attitude KNOW him, or those who coach him?It just becomes conventional wisdom for internet gossips and smear artists.'I hear"....is so lame and any idiot journalist looking to to stir the pot can make any claim about someone and how many accept it as fact? Would these same people believe the lies printed about their own families and friends if some guy said....'I hear that so and so"....

Now, Hainsey is tarred with an attitude problem that he has to overcome along with maturing into a starter.Nice, real nice.

wow, don't be offended but maybe you should relax a little. What's the big deal? Do you think Gainey, Savard, Julien, Jarvis, Wilson, or Hainsey read these internet boards? (not just HF) Do you really think that anyone but a small amount of fans consider Hainsey as an attitude problem. Just cause a few fans post some things, it really means little where in counts the real world. While I agree the whole Hollywood thing is lame imo, and I usually stay out of personal areas, but if some fans want to label him I personally don't put much stock into what they say as your right unless you know the player it's too hard to say what's really going on.

Old
07-24-2004, 08:52 PM
habsfansam

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
wow, don't be offended but maybe you should relax a little. What's the big deal? Do you think Gainey, Savard, Julien, Jarvis, Wilson, or Hainsey read these internet boards? (not just HF) Do you really think that anyone but a small amount of fans consider Hainsey as an attitude problem. Just cause a few fans post some things, it really means little where in counts the real world. While I agree the whole Hollywood thing is lame imo, and I usually stay out of personal areas, but if some fans want to label him I personally don't put much stock into what they say as your right unless you know the player it's too hard to say what's really going on.
I'm not much for the "hollywood" thing either... however, as someone who lived in montreal over the past 6 years i've got to admit that the city does really weird things to young americans who come up... i'm not sure if it's the drinking, the girls, all the sex-shops, Bleu Nuit, or stardom, but something makes that transition hard on them.

It's such a fun city and it's got such a reputation that i'm sure it makes it hard for young guys who don't know how to be a professional NHLer already to adjust properly... it's their first time out on their own, and they've got cash to burn in a city with all the attractions that they've never been exposed to... especially in a place where even the most out of touch gal knows his name as soon the player walks through the door.

How many of us working deskjobs would be able to function in the top 1% of all our work peers if we were paid 1million+ every year and lived in montreal... maybe by the mid 20s we could take it, but at 19 or 20 we'd do dumb stuff and get our ***** fired eventually for not being productive. That's the problem that I think he may have had... and if he was a bit cocky, it's easier to call him out from the cheap seats. He'll earn a full-time spot on the club this year and i don't think we'll hear anymore of that. Souray will settle him down as will the other older pros...

Personally I think our bust is about to go BOOM once he hits the point on the PP.

Old
07-24-2004, 09:12 PM
tinyzombies

He'll have to find that balance. I've read that he likes to hang out with Hossa and another one of our prospects though. Those guys should all be working their ***** off because neither of them seem to have the wind or play with the desire necessary to be NHLers.

Defend these guys all you want but the proof is on the ice. The off-ice rumors just back up the attitude and effort of the players on the ice.

To me, Hainsey and Hossa both have a lot to prove. Most of us on this board aren't even counting on them to be important players for this team anymore.

A lot of us are patient though because the role Hainsey is trying to fill takes awhile to get used to (especially since he's an American who might not have had the same development as a Canadian). And Hossa has been overshadowed by his brother his whole life, no wonder he just gives up the puck and stands there. How do you chase Marian Hossa around the rink every day for your whole life? That would suck...

Old
07-24-2004, 09:24 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
what the fans know, the media know, what the management know, the media known, what hainsey know.. even more.

check mate.

Old
07-24-2004, 09:34 PM
db23

What is the point of being young, healthy, rich and goodlooking if you go home by yourself to have a big glass of milk and a bowl of granola before getting into bed by 9 pm so you can be up for your 6 am workout?

I mean, seriously.

Old
07-25-2004, 10:18 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
What is the point of being young, healthy, rich and goodlooking if you go home by yourself to have a big glass of milk and a bowl of granola before getting into bed by 9 pm so you can be up for your 6 am workout?

I mean, seriously.
....cause some of us like to do something with our lives!
What kind of stupid comment is that , you wont be healthy if your lying on the couch eating chocolat all day.

Old
07-25-2004, 12:48 PM
db23

Ron Hainsey looks healthy enough to me. You have to realize that the energy that makes some kids great athletes also extends to other aspects of their life. You can't have it both ways. All of the heroic legends of the past were just as fun loving when they were young and single. Even when they weren't for the most part. Remember the Dan Quinn incident? Who was in the motel with him boffing some 16 year old at the time? None other than 30 year old Mario Lemieux, superstar, icon, family man.........

Old
07-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Ron Hainsey looks healthy enough to me. You have to realize that the energy that makes some kids great athletes also extends to other aspects of their life. You can't have it both ways. All of the heroic legends of the past were just as fun loving when they were young and single. Even when they weren't for the most part. Remember the Dan Quinn incident? Who was in the motel with him boffing some 16 year old at the time? None other than 30 year old Mario Lemieux, superstar, icon, family man.........
what the hell are you talking about? where are you getting at, your not exactly talking about hockey here.

Old
07-25-2004, 03:54 PM
Kirk Muller*

I'm curious, what does 'Hollywood Hainsey' mean ?

Old
07-25-2004, 05:50 PM
rocketlives

If Hainsey has an attitude problem, I don't think it's off the ice. Also, I'm not sure a lot of fans call him Hollywood Hainsey or Broadway Ron. Ron Hainsey was a star when he played for U of Mass-Lowell and he was on the rookie all-star team when he played for the Citadelle. He's been used to pinch and go up ice when he feels like it.

All of a sudden, he's in the NHL and Rick Green doesn't like his sorties and doesn't give him the green light. So he finds himself benched or demoted at the slighest mistake he makes while he sees guys like Brisebois and Rivet make all kinds of mistakes without paying the price.

Hainsey is big and talented. What he's lacking now is grit and confidence in himself at the NHL level, and I'm sure he'll bring that to the table next year if he can only get his coaches' confidence for more than a few games.

Old
07-25-2004, 06:53 PM
LetsGOJackets!!

Good luck to Hainsey.. if you guys ever give up on him

I hope you trade him to Columbus.. can't get in as much trouble here, maybe it would help him concentrate on his game. With our underperforming vets.. I think all he would need is some ice time.

Closed Thread