HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What should we hope for next year?

Old
06-25-2011, 10:00 AM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
What should we hope for next year?

Clearly, the Sens aren't Cup contenders next year, and realistically not playoff spot contenders either. We need forward prospects with first line potential, and by all accounts there are at least a couple of those in next year's draft. So the best thing for the organization, if we want to be perennial Cup contenders, is to have as high a pick as possible next year, and likely the year after. I want this team to be the Red Wings, who are Cup contenders every year, not the Rangers and teams of their ilk that either barely miss or barely make the playoffs every year. I'm willing to suffer through a couple more years of misery if it means getting a perennial Cup contender a few years from now.

What are you all hoping for?

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:05 AM
robsenz

Stanley Cup Champions every year until my decedents die

realistically, a competitive team, this past year was hard to watch

robsenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Cherith Cutestory

Didn't know if this would fit into this thread, but didn't want to start another one about our new kids. Will Noesen and Puempel start in Bingo next year? Mike Z. goes back to Sweden for a year if he doesn't make the team, but do we send the other two to their junior clubs for another season

If we decide to actually consider next year a rebuild year with no expectations, then if the new kids were in Bingo we could call them up to give them a little time if they are close to being NHL ready. I don't think we should consider next year a better than bottom-5 finish, anything more will be a success for me.

Cherith Cutestory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:13 AM
SensFan2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Sweet 3 Dog View Post
Didn't know if this would fit into this thread, but didn't want to start another one about our new kids. Will Noesen and Puempel start in Bingo next year? Mike Z. goes back to Sweden for a year if he doesn't make the team, but do we send the other two to their junior clubs for another season

If we decide to actually consider next year a rebuild year with no expectations, then if the new kids were in Bingo we could call them up to give them a little time if they are close to being NHL ready. I don't think we should consider next year a better than bottom-5 finish, anything more will be a success for me.
They can't go to Bingo, it's NHL or OHL for them next year.

SensFan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:22 PM
internetdotcom
11 + 15 + 19 = 666

Send a message via MSN to internetdotcom Send a message via Yahoo to internetdotcom
*bump*

I thought this thread would have at least a little action... LOL I'm really curious what you all think.

internetdotcom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Talk to me at the beginning of October.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:34 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Fail for Nail!

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:36 PM
SENSfreak_03

no career altering injuries to anyone who is a part of our future.

SENSfreak_03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:38 PM
SensFan2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENSfreak_03 View Post
no career altering injuries to anyone who is a part of our future.
This and a good draft pick. Rebuild isn't over yet.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:38 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Playoffs.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:43 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Playoffs or Yakupov...either one works for me

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:45 PM
albator71

Man, I can't wait for training camp to start , this team will be fun to watch. If everything goes right I say we have a shot at the 8 spot.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:48 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by albator71 View Post
Man, I can't wait for training camp to start , this team will be fun to watch. If everything goes right I say we have a shot at the 8 spot.
if we have a season of everything going right, I'd expect us to be challenging Boston for the division

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Batali Crocs*

I'm not expecting a playoff team. I'm expecting a top10 pick.

I don't think we should be done gutting this team yet. Players like Gonchar, Kuba, Neil, Carkner, Michalek (if he doesn't stay healthy), Foligno should at least be on the trading block. It gets tough with Neil and Carkner because we need that element of toughness but they are attractive pieces at the deadline because of their toughness.

I think this upcoming season should be year 1 of the rebuild. This past season was a set-up and we did a good job unloading Fisher and Kelly for picks but it's not a rebuild, more of a deconstruction. This year we should implement adding some pieces. We started that already with Filatov. Perfect piece for a rebuilding team, even if he busts, that's the kind of move we should pull off, while ridding ourselves of players that don't fit our rebuilding plans.

Basically, I'm hoping for a young team that will be entertaining to watch, despite all the growing pains that come with it. At next years draft, I'm expecting a pick in the top10.

I don't mind seeing us miss out on the playoffs for a couple more seasons as long as I get to see some youth injected into the lineup giving us entertaining hockey. I'd MUCH rather see that than see the pathetic showcase of a team we got last year and in 08-09.

Last edited by Batali Crocs*: 06-25-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Batali Crocs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Caje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batali Crocs View Post
I'm not expecting a playoff team. I'm expecting a top10 pick.

I don't think we should be done gutting this team yet. Players like Gonchar, Kuba, Neil, Carkner, Michalek (if he doesn't stay healthy), Foligno should at least be on the trading block. It gets tough with Neil and Carkner because we need that element of toughness but they are attractive pieces at the deadline because of their toughness.
Michalek and Foligno are still young, there's no need to trade them considering the fact that we probably wouldn't get anything that great in return. Kuba should go, but who would take him at that contract? Same with Gonchar.

Neil and Carkner are definite keeps. You need some toughness on the team, and they are both homegrown talents. They play their role well and again, it's not like they'll command a huge price.

A youth injection is good, but purposely dumping players for no good reason is not what we should be doing.

Caje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:59 PM
Topside

I'm hoping for a middle of the pack offense instead of dead last. I'm hoping for an injury free season with a marked improvement in the young players on the roster, as well as those still in junior. I'm hoping for a drama-free year with no players demanding a trade or defecting. I'd even be happy with a 9th place team. We are trending upwards and you can't become an elite team without becoming a 'good' team first.

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 08:00 PM
Jackson12

nail yakupov

Jackson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Bazel5

Not hoping for us to finish bottom 12. I think we have more than enough pieces to build upon.

What I'm hoping for is quality development time for our youths like we had in our Calder Cup achievement or being mentored by our veterans in the NHL on a team that is experiencing some level of success.

What I learned from the past year is that we should not bank on another disastrous year for a great pick but hope for another gutsy effort that our boys put on for us the second half of the season (hopefully starting from the beginning of the year this time) and trust that no matter where we land in the draft ranking next year, Murray and company will be able to pick some high quality prospects.

What is the point of drafting so high if we don't develop our prospects. We don't want to end up like the Panthers now.

Last edited by Bazel5: 06-25-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Bazel5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:13 PM
Asquaredx2

I don't think we're going to be very good.

My biggest hope is that the team gives it's young players a chance (which it has) and doesn't penalize them too much for their mistakes, but at the same time has the awareness of when it's better for someone to be in the minors/AHL.

I really hope we can land Alex Galchenyuk at the 2012 draft but if the young kids show promise I wouldn't be upset picking later. 2012 looks pretty awesome from where we sit right now. I'm going to be jealous if the Oilers land Ryan Murray.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:24 PM
SensFan2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asquaredx2 View Post
I don't think we're going to be very good.

My biggest hope is that the team gives it's young players a chance (which it has) and doesn't penalize them too much for their mistakes, but at the same time has the awareness of when it's better for someone to be in the minors/AHL.

I really hope we can land Alex Galchenyuk at the 2012 draft but if the young kids show promise I wouldn't be upset picking later. 2012 looks pretty awesome from where we sit right now. I'm going to be jealous if the Oilers land Ryan Murray.
Next years draft is definitely something I'm look forward to. Some great dmen in Murray and Ebert and skilled Russian forwards in Yakupov, Galchenyuk and Grigorenko. Lacks a Canadian superstar forward but maybe someone has Seguin-esque season and climbs to top 3.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Asquaredx2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensFan2010 View Post
Next years draft is definitely something I'm look forward to. Some great dmen in Murray and Ebert and skilled Russian forwards in Yakupov, Galchenyuk and Grigorenko. Lacks a Canadian superstar forward but maybe someone has Seguin-esque season and climbs to top 3.
Well I'm hoping they think of Galchenyuk as an American.

Asquaredx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

I'm expecting a team that's fun to watch. That's all I need.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Filatov - Spezza - Michalek
Zibanejad - ??? - Alfredsson
Greening - Smith - Butler
??? - Winchester - Neil

Phillips - Lee
Cowen - Karlsson
Kuba - Rundblad

Anderson

I think we'll be in the 10th to 6th range in the east.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:52 PM
jordan7hm

Playoffs. Borderline.

Depends mainly on what we do in free agency, how Filatov works out, and how Anderson plays. I could easily see us having the type of year Colorado did two years ago.

jordan7hm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:58 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenixM View Post
Filatov - Spezza - Michalek
Zibanejad - ??? - Alfredsson
Greening - Smith - Butler
??? - Winchester - Neil

Phillips - Lee
Cowen - Karlsson
Kuba - Rundblad

Anderson

I think we'll be in the 10th to 6th range in the east.
You forgot Regin and Foligno.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote