HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Magnus Hellberg, G, 38th Overall

Old
06-25-2011, 12:04 PM
Legionnaire11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Who was behind Brodeur for the past decade? No one knows or cares.

off the top of my head... Chris Terreri, Mike Dunham, Kevin Weekes, Scott Clemmensen. And all were counted on to carry the load at some point.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:04 PM
OpenWheel

I found it predictable that we 'almost' moved way up to grab a player, but... not quite.

The only thing that bothers me about a goalie is remembering Poile defending high goalie picks years ago by saying they were at a premium so it was always good to have them, as assets to trade. Then last year he was asked about using some of our goalie assets to try to swing a trade, and he said "there's just not much of a market for goalies, you can't get what they are worth." Grrr!

I'm fine with this years picks though. They look very interesting so far. Just was deflating to hear a goalie, until I got over it.

Last edited by OpenWheel: 06-25-2011 at 12:09 PM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:07 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Should of picked Alexander Khokhalchev

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:15 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
off the top of my head... Chris Terreri, Mike Dunham, Kevin Weekes, Scott Clemmensen. And all were counted on to carry the load at some point.
And how many were drafted by the Devils with their top pick after Brodeur was already established? 'll save you the time. Terreri was an old man at that point, Dunham was was drafted in the same draft as MB, Weekes came from another team, and Clemmensen was an 8th rounder.

We've already got Lindback to carry the load if need be. He's already proven he can. What we don't have, however, is.....I give up. You already know.

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:52 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
I guess this means the Preds are Giving up on PIckard. Not sure About Smith's fate though
???

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:59 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
The only thing that bothers me about a goalie is remembering Poile defending high goalie picks years ago by saying they were at a premium so it was always good to have them, as assets to trade. Then last year he was asked about using some of our goalie assets to try to swing a trade, and he said "there's just not much of a market for goalies, you can't get what they are worth." Grrr!
This is what gives me pause. Maybe the market will turn around, but if you can't get value for goalies that you aren't likely to ever utilize on your NHL roster, don't draft them, just acquire them and spend your assets on items that hold value.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:04 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Nope. Poile will re-sign Weber, and then say something to the effect of "our free agency was basically re-signing our core", just like pretty much every offseason.
another generalization stated as gospel but not supported by actual facts.

Lombardi last summer, Arnott, Kariya, Bouillon, Ward, Dan Ellis, etc.

We sign free agents, sometimes even pretty big name ones.

what we dont do is try to rebuild our failed team every year with multiple big ticket free agent signings

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:13 PM
OpenWheel

Come on. Lombardi, Arnott, Kariya count.

Bouillon and Ward don't. Bouillon was still hanging around nearing the start of the season, hoping for someone to let him play. Ward was an AHLer. Yes, they both worked out, but they aren't examples of Poile actively finding a key free agent..

Old
06-25-2011, 01:18 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Come on. Lombardi, Arnott, Kariya count.

Bouillon and Ward don't. Bouillon was just hangin around hoping for someone to let him play. Ward was an AHLer. Yes, they both worked out well, but they aren't examples of Poile actively finding a key free agent..
the post I responded to pretty much said that we dont sign anyone but our own players. I pointed out this is untrue. Nothing was said about them being big name at the time they were signed.

point being poile makes signings when they make sense and as a result they usually pan out. that makes them "key" whether they are splashy or not

Old
06-25-2011, 01:21 PM
OpenWheel

Yeah, he plugs holes pretty well.

Can sort of count Fisher last year too, Poile didn't wait until the deadline to shore up the team when things looked pretty bad. And it paid off.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:33 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Yeah, he plugs holes pretty well.

Can sort of count Fisher last year too, Poile didn't wait until the deadline to shore up the team when things looked pretty bad. And it paid off.
exactly. blowing up the team and making big splashes isnt what this team needs.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:43 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
another generalization stated as gospel but not supported by actual facts.

Lombardi last summer, Arnott, Kariya, Bouillon, Ward, Dan Ellis, etc.

We sign free agents, sometimes even pretty big name ones.

what we dont do is try to rebuild our failed team every year with multiple big ticket free agent signings
The origional question was whether or not we'll sign a 40 goal scorer, not journeymen in the twilight of their careers or players with no NHL experience. Everyone knows we love those guys.

See:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfan25 View Post
Think the Preds will try to get someone either in the draft or in free agency who can get them at least 40 goals a season? I noticed the leading guy only had 23 goals and nobody even came close to 100 points.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:52 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
The origional question was whether or not we'll sign a 40 goal scorer, not journeymen in the twilight of their careers or players with no NHL experience. Everyone knows we love those guys.

See:
well, instead of just saying "no thats not really feasible after all how many 40 goal scorers are available in the draft or free agency?" you made the untrue statement about "signing our core is our free agency"

Old
06-25-2011, 02:08 PM
SouthSwe

Might have a big steal right here.

SouthSwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:33 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
well, instead of just saying "no thats not really feasible after all how many 40 goal scorers are available in the draft or free agency?" you made the untrue statement about "signing our core is our free agency"
I'm so sorry, Voldemort, for offending you. But is wasn't an untrue statement, Poile himself has made the comment in the past, after the July 1st flurry, that fans shouldn't forget that the Preds were already active in in free agency, when they signed our RFAs (Legawand, Erat, Dumont, Sullivan, e.g.)

Now, I'll edit my previous post to satisfy your demands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLfan25 View Post
Think the Preds will try to get someone either in the draft or in free agency who can get them at least 40 goals a season? I noticed the leading guy only had 23 goals and nobody even came close to 100 points.
no thats not really feasible after all how many 40 goal scorers are available in the draft or free agency

Old
06-25-2011, 02:37 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

We have drafted a goalie before any other team 3 out of the past 5 years. For a team that has had an obvious need at the forward position in each of those 5 years, I am left speechless.

Hellberg could be a gem. He could be the BPA at his position (although every scouting agency has him far down the goalie ranks). Still, isn't it time as an organization to make the draft work for us? Trade up and get the forward talent that we need. It sounds like we waited one pick too far for Courturier. We did the same for Kopitar in his draft year. We waited until the pick after to trade up, and the rest is history.

I love David Poile, but the man has a serious deficiency in the boldness and progressive thinking department.

Last edited by Enoch: 06-25-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:48 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
We have drafted a goalie first out of any team 3 out of the past 5 years. For a team that has had an obvious need at the forward position everyone of those 5 years, I am left speechless.

Hellberg could be a gem. He could be the BPA at his position (although every scouting agency has him far down the goalie ranks). Still, isn't it time as an organization to make the draft work for us? Trade up and get the forward talent that we need. It sounds like we waited one pick too far for Courturier. We did the same for Kopitar in his draft year. We waited until the pick after to trade up, and the rest is history.

I love David Poile, but the man has a serious deficiency in the boldness and progressive thinking department.
Couldnt agree more.

Old
06-25-2011, 03:13 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
We have drafted a goalie before any other team 3 out of the past 5 years. For a team that has had an obvious need at the forward position in each of those 5 years, I am left speechless.

How dare you even question the MAN!

BAN HIM!

Old
06-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
"The Rich Get Richer" - Goalie Guild analysis with audio

http://thegoalieguild.com/2011/06/draft-analysis/

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Hellberg will be at Prospects Camp this week. He is arriving in Nashville tomorrow.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

remember to make your signs large enough so that Poile will see 'em ...

hehe

Our goalie was nominated for the Vezina & all you drafted for us with our first pick was a goalie

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Paincakes

Quote:
You are basing this faith on what exactly? You say some things work out. What has ever worked out other than Rinne and Weber?

I'll agree with you that some things haven't worked out, though. Lots of them, in fact.
Look at how many players on our team are draft picks of ours.

If any of us really knew as much as we think we know about the game and drafting, we would be working in Minnesota right now and not on our laptops at home.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:04 PM
mattihp

If it had been another team than Nashville I would've been scratching my head. He was the 3rd or 4th best goalie available. But I think they find it a good idea to have goalies with similar styles because they can have a more efficient goalie coaching schedule with similar drills etc.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:22 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
I don't get why everyone is so upset about drafting a goalie because there's a need in Nashville for a forward. Unless you're picking at the very top of the draft none of the guys drafted are going to contribute to the NHL team next year anyways. To me it's a lot like baseball where you take BPA regardless of position.

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 06:41 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
I don't get why everyone is so upset about drafting a goalie because there's a need in Nashville for a forward. Unless you're picking at the very top of the draft none of the guys drafted are going to contribute to the NHL team next year anyways. To me it's a lot like baseball where you take BPA regardless of position.
He was far from BPA