HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Miikka Salomaki, LW, 52nd Overall

Old
06-25-2011, 10:39 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Miikka Salomaki, LW, 52nd Overall

5'11", 198 lbs.
Karpat - 40 GP, 4G, 6A, 10 PTS
Appeared as a 17-year-old with the Finnish U20 team at the WJCs this year. We're working backwards, it seems, taking our Europeans early in the draft.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:42 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

"Agitators with a little skill are prized commodities" (RLR)

Sounds like a 4th liner.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:52 AM
braindead

Nick Spaling without the offense?

A bit of info:

http://www.matchsticksandgasoline.co...iikka-salomaki

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Some Finnish fans are saying he's very similar to Tuomo Ruutu on the prospect board. I'd gladly take a healthy Ruutu (approximately 20g, 50pt), if that comparison is accurate.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
thomast

Super gritty, super nasty, plays with heart and soul and his effort is 100% every game. He is 198lb's already and he's just 5'11. His offensive game is very underrated. He scored almost PPG on WJC 3points in 4 games(2 games benched) Scored over ppg in Jr A before this year. He is nastier version of tuomo ruutu with less offensive touch. Haven't seen him agitating so much. He plays very dirty sometimes tho. He is very Pred's like player and play pred-like hockey. 10 points as a 4thliner in FEL as a 17 year old isn't bad mikko koivu had 1 assist in 21 games in his draft year.

His defensive game is amazing. Good with and without the puck.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:58 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Like I said in the main draft thread, this seems like a classic Poile pick. He's a guy with good intangibles and plays with the intensity that you would expect from a modern Finnish player.

In a draft like this, I expected Poile to be conservative and pick players that fit the culture we have, and that seems to be what he's doing.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Super gritty, super nasty, plays with heart and soul and his effort is 100% every game. He is 198lb's already and he's just 5'11. His offensive game is very underrated. He scored almost PPG on WJC 3points in 4 games(2 games benched) Scored over ppg in Jr A before this year. He is nastier version of tuomo ruutu with less offensive touch. Haven't seen him agitating so much. He plays very dirty sometimes tho. He is very Pred's like player and play pred-like hockey. 10 points as a 4thliner in FEL as a 17 year old isn't bad mikko koivu had 1 assist in 21 games in his draft year.

His defensive game is amazing. Good with and without the puck.
Thanks for the scouting report! Very interested recently by the slew of Finns we're bringing into the organization. Rask last season, Pusstinen and Lajunen coming to NA this summer, now Salomaki, and of course...there's Pekka Rinne!

Like Rask, Salomaki appears to be a very gritty, yet skilled bottom-six type forward that could develop into something more given time...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:02 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Thanks for the scouting report! Very interested recently by the slew of Finns we're bringing into the organization. Rask last season, Pusstinen and Lajunen coming to NA this summer, now Salomaki, and of course...there's Pekka Rinne!

Like Rask, Salomaki appears to be a very gritty, yet skilled bottom-six type forward that could develop into something more given time...
Which, as we know, is a huge org. need.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:03 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Like I said in the main draft thread, this seems like a classic Poile pick. He's a guy with good intangibles and plays with the intensity that you would expect from a modern Finnish player.

In a draft like this, I expected Poile to be conservative and pick players that fit the culture we have, and that seems to be what he's doing.
Agreed. It's breaking very similar to the draft philosophy the last time we didn't have a 1st rounder, except...now we've established the culture we want. Then we made a lot of reaches and took major projects (Flynn, Sjodin, Todd, etc)...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:14 AM
OpenWheel

My folks were born in the USA, but my grandparents were all Finns. So... Finns rock. Finns are tough as heck. Finns are really intelligent. Finns play great hockey. And we're good looking too.

Welcome Miika, to the Predators! Sisu!

I have no idea about him. Glad to read the positive reviews by those who have seen him. I like that he sounds tough. I prefer that term over "gritty" for a change. We always pick gritty. Tough is good.

OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:17 AM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Antti Philstrom 2.0

gopreds19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:19 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Which, as we know, is a huge org. need.
And, as you know, GMs always draft based on need because these players have to step in right away.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:25 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
And, as you know, GMs always draft based on need because these players have to step in right away.
It's not like the cupboard is exactly bare...

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Jati

Jati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:28 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Antti Philstrom 2.0
Not even close. Philstrom's game is based on speed, and he hits everything which moves. Salomaki's game is based on smartness, reading the game, hit when it's good time to hit. He doesen't overplay like Philstrom. If Salomaki overplays he make hits on head accidently and sometimes has heating problems. He should be more careful when he hits.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 11:28 AM
OpenWheel

Not trading to make a splash at forward means Poile is going to surprise and bring over Radulov...

Old
06-25-2011, 02:11 PM
bandolero

Good pick by Predators, unleast Miikka is a perfect match to your way of playing. Hard working, solid two way game and a smart player. Despite being such young player his weakness definately isn't the lack of strength. Already quite good at protecting the puck and I assume it will get only better.

In WJC he played only four games but when he got the chance to play at the third game he did use his opportunity and was the better Finns at the tournament. For example Joel Armia was a tourist compared to Salomäki.

I assume that Miikka has a bigger role on his SM-Liiga team the coming season and we will see how his offensive game develops. I think his offensive game is a bit underrated although he makes many of his scoring chances by his gritty way of playing.

Miikka can end up being anything between second and fourth line. Off course there is a chance that he never makes to NHL but I doubt that due to his versatility and solid two way game. Hi has played also as a center and is as home in center position than he is on a wing.

I'm sure we will post updates to your board the coming season.

bandolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:15 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandolero View Post

I'm sure we will post updates to your board the coming season.
Please do. Thanks!

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:47 PM
urho

vCash: 695
I'm very confident that he'll play in the NHL relatively soon. For me, the question is what role he'll be able to get. From all the scout reports I've seen, his offensive instincts are very underrated. At best he could be 2nd-liner or at least 3rd liner that can score. We'll see.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:58 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenWheel View Post
Not trading to make a splash at forward means Poile is going to surprise and bring over Radulov...
Wishful thinking

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:31 PM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
This was the one guy I really wanted the Blues to take at 41 or 46 and of course...the Preds take him. Congrats on what will be a strong addition to your bottom 6 in a couple of years.

I had a very similiar feeling about Cal Clutterbuck in 2006(that the Blues just HAD to take him). He will be one hell of a N.A. pro and I'm insanely jealous. I'll probably need to rock back and forth whilst clutching my Oshie hair doll to make up for the dissapointment.

Last edited by TK 421: 06-25-2011 at 09:40 PM.
TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:02 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
sometimes has heating problems
I assume that means he loses his temper and gets unneeded penalties at times?

I like his vids. Has pretty good offensive skills, even though not the most gifted. Might be able to do it in the NHL someday.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:07 AM
kakemono

From the looks of that video, he will have a few seasons with productions similar to Lombardi last year. -cutting across in front of the net with your head down just won't work.

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 08:26 AM
OpenWheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemono View Post
From the looks of that video, he will have a few seasons with productions similar to Lombardi last year. -cutting across in front of the net with your head down just won't work.
I wondered about that too. But on one of them the puck was in his skates, and maybe he was prepared to take a hit, he knew where the defeders were.

Old
06-26-2011, 09:09 AM
walle

next season will be a good sign how good he can provide offensively. kärpät has a strong forward core for 3 lines and Miikka can get a big role in that without having too much pressure on him. Probably as a winger though if expected centers play as projected. Not sure which he would prefer tbh

walle is offline   Reply With Quote