HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2011, 10:48 AM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

vCash: 500
Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Adam-...enix/155/36651

It's not eklund, but is adam french reliable? He says it's an RDS writer that's reporting it, but I haven't seen it on RDS.

Last edited by 24stanleycups*: 06-25-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old
06-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
You just gave half the Habs fans here heart attacks with that title.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:51 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

If PG pulled it off, I'd probably kiss his feet.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:52 AM
pipa06

http://legrandclub.rds.ca/profils/60.../116341/public

Old
06-25-2011, 10:53 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Who takes his spot?

Old
06-25-2011, 10:54 AM
MoonlightGraham

I don't believe the Gomez trade rumors one bit. We don't have anyone to replace him as a second line center (neither Desharnais or Eller is ready, and Eller is hurt), and we certainly won't get a good replacement in return for him. I'm convinced we're keeping him around for at least one more year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he bounced back and had a good year next year. Gomez, Gionta and Pacioretty were pretty good together last year.

Old
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Who takes his spot?
I'd settle for Jokinen for 2-3 years or Connolly for 1 if we could move the cap hit.

Old
E = CH²

I don't believe it honestly.. but I wish it was true provided we had a solution to fill the hole other than crossing fingers Eller/Desharnais can be #2-3.

Old
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I was like OMG....then I entered the thread and there was a link, I lost it.

But then I read ur post.

Old
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
You just gave half the Habs fans here heart attacks with that title.

hahah, sorry guys, forgot the question mark at the end.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:55 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Skinner View Post
I don't believe the Gomez trade rumors one bit. We don't have anyone to replace him as a second line center (neither Desharnais or Eller is ready, and Eller is hurt), and we certainly won't get a good replacement in return for him. I'm convinced we're keeping him around for at least one more year, and I wouldn't be surprised if he bounced back and had a good year next year. Gomez, Gionta and Pacioretty were pretty good together last year.
We could also afford to heavily pursue Richards. Not saying he'd sign here, but I'd be game with Richards at an 8M cap hit given what we have at a 7.3M cap hit right now.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Andy

I can't see him getting traded now unless we get a semi-adequate replacement.

If they do trade him, does it mean they'll go hard after B.Richards? What if they strike out on Richards? Arnott?

I just can't see Montreal starting the season with only Plekanec Eller and Desharnais at center, especially since Eller could miss the 1st two months.

But an opportunity to move that cap hit, you can't miss that. Tough decision imo.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Darth Joker

Quote:
If we trade Gomez, and take back 50% or less in salary (i.e. not get any more than $4 million in salary coming back our way in the deal) then we can likely make a serious push for Richards.

Gomez for whatever

Then we sign Richards

I think we'd all be thrilled by that, no?

Old
06-25-2011, 10:57 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Who takes his spot?
Brad Richards

Old
06-25-2011, 10:57 AM
LeHab

Thread does not deliver, please put RUMOR or maybe Fantasy in title.

Old
06-25-2011, 10:58 AM
MoonlightGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
We could also afford to heavily pursue Richards. Not saying he'd sign here, but I'd be game with Richards at an 8M cap hit given what we have at a 7.3M cap hit right now.
Well that would be a very risky move, a lot of teams are going to be after Richards. What if we don't sign him? There aren't many other good UFA centers available and it would likely end up being a lateral move at best. Gomez had a bad year last year but he was very good in the second half of the season two years ago, he's happy here and liked by his teammates, and I think he's staying.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:00 AM
MM425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
I can't see him getting traded now unless we get a semi-adequate replacement.

If they do trade him, does it mean they'll go hard after B.Richards? What if they strike out on Richards? Arnott?

I just can't see Montreal starting the season with only Plekanec Eller and Desharnais at center, especially since Eller could miss the 1st two months.

But an opportunity to move that cap hit, you can't miss that. Tough decision imo.
It's no decision at all lol.

You'd be able to land an adequate replacement PLUS another solid player with the money saved. Or maybe even take a run at Richards...

Old
06-25-2011, 11:00 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Could me Spacek theyre talking about IMO, if theyre talking about salary. We shall see.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:01 AM
compile

vCash: 611
If the opportunity arose to dump Scott Gomez even for a 4th line center I would do it in a heart beat.

I'd rather have an unproven rookie/sophmore playing on this team then a $7m center that puts up <40pts a year.

Plus if there is any truth to the speculation it must mean PG wants Richards and there has been contact made. You don't make these kinds of deals unless you are certain that you can fill the spot.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:02 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Well that would be a very risky move, a lot of teams are going to be after Richards. What if we don't sign him? There aren't many other good UFA centers available and it would likely end up being a lateral move at best. Gomez had a bad year last year but he was very good in the second half of the season two years ago, he's happy here and liked by his teammates, and I think he's staying.
What about Arnott for a year or two?

There is some veteran options out there that might work.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:20 AM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRetina View Post
If the opportunity arose to dump Scott Gomez even for a 4th line center I would do it in a heart beat.

I'd rather have an unproven rookie/sophmore playing on this team then a $7m center that puts up <40pts a year.

Plus if there is any truth to the speculation it must mean PG wants Richards and there has been contact made. You don't make these kinds of deals unless you are certain that you can fill the spot.
I don't know about that, man. We've seen these sort of similar situations before. The hole Sundin thing rings a bell. Sure, it isn't exactly the same, but close.

Though I agree on the 7m$/40pts. Not so much on having just anyone there, but I guess it can't get worse? (even if I have a gut feeling it could get worse?)

I just don't see us getting rid of Gomez without having to take a bad contract back. Phoenix doesn't have terrible contracts, not as bad as Gomez. If any team has the money (without trading somebody of equal contract) to take Gomez, they likely have what is needed to sign Richards for the same spot. It's going to be a challenge to get rid of Gomez's contract.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:24 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

I just DM *************** on twitter and he said there is A lot of truth to either Gomez or Spacek to Phoenix as we need to shed some cap.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Darth Joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupmonger View Post
I don't know about that, man. We've seen these sort of similar situations before. The hole Sundin thing rings a bell. Sure, it isn't exactly the same, but close.

Though I agree on the 7m$/40pts. Not so much on having just anyone there, but I guess it can't get worse? (even if I have a gut feeling it could get worse?)

I just don't see us getting rid of Gomez without having to take a bad contract back. Phoenix doesn't have terrible contracts, not as bad as Gomez. If any team has the money (without trading somebody of equal contract) to take Gomez, they likely have what is needed to sign Richards for the same spot. It's going to be a challenge to get rid of Gomez's contract.
Phoenix no doubt has the money to afford Richards, but would Richards even be willing to go there?

I mean, given all the issues that Phoenix has gone through the past few years...

Phoenix might be the one and only team that would legitimately want to acquire Gomez, as crazy as that sounds to us. They have a huge gaping hole at the center ice position, they have cap space to burn, and they might have a hard time attracting UFAs due to the issues that their team has gone through.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:33 AM
FeelsLike93

*************** just said "Just confirmed Habs are actively shopping 2 d-men and also possibly working on shipping Gomez out: Something brewing.

This guys good for rumors he doesnt mess around..

Old
06-25-2011, 11:35 AM
JHabs61

I know Gomez and Spacek to Phoenix for Biznasty2point0
then pouliot for Crosby and biz !!!? no?

Closed Thread