HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gomez trade in the works? LEGIT SOURCES ONLY

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2011, 04:07 PM
macavoy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Most of those guys will chose a more stable situation and a contender ahead of Phoenix. Easy to say taht they should go after UFA's but if they have to pay big money for junk, might as well get a Gomez.
I don't think contenders will be offering these players $5m contracts. Actually I don't think contenders will even be offering these players contracts period. It'll be middle of the road teams that offer them contracts.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:08 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieChan View Post
Renaud Lavoie just tweeted Belanger isn't being re-signed by the Yotes. More smoke?
Wasn't Maloney Sather's assistant in NY when they signed Gomez?

Old
06-25-2011, 04:10 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLHabsFan View Post
Wasn't Maloney Sather's assistant in NY when they signed Gomez?
Nope, he was hired in Phoenix on May 27, 2007. Gomez got his contract 2 months later on July 1st, 2007. Maloney wasn't a part of it.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:11 PM
TheBuriedHab

I'll say it again, unless Montreal can first sign Brad Richards I don't want to see Gomez gone this year. Leaves a huge hole in the 2 spot.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:14 PM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Nope, he was hired in Phoenix on May 27, 2007. Gomez got his contract 2 months later on July 1st, 2007. Maloney wasn't a part of it.
Thanks! He was Sather's assistant at some point though right? Or am I just losing it altogether lol

Old
06-25-2011, 04:14 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
They should just trade for Gomez. Then we can sign Belanger. I'd easily take him, or honestly any number of available centers over Gomez. Boom. Problem solved.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:15 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
I'll say it again, unless Montreal can first sign Brad Richards I don't want to see Gomez gone this year. Leaves a huge hole in the 2 spot.
Especially with Eller injured to start the season but when an opportunity presents itself at times you need to suck it up.

I think even if this season we don't land Richards as a replacement down the line the cap space will make us a better team. We would be able to re-sign Wiz or another equal or better D. We'd be able to get a guy like Laich or Jagr on top of that. Everything would really improve.

However I do regardless feel Gomez can bounce back and be useful for us too. Just not 7 mil useful.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:17 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
rosival? he's only got 1 year left but i can't imagine their thrilled paying him 5M$.

maybe something like this gets the conversation started:

To Phx
Gomez
Pyatt
Pouliot

To Mtl
Rosival

Markov-Rosival
Gorges-Subban

would be a solid top-4, replacing Wiz while keeping things open for next summer (room for emelin/weber to emmerge as a top-4).

phoenix takes on a big contract this year, but the next 2 are very manageable, plus they get two cheap fwds, one with top-6 potential, the other an excellent role player related to a roster player.

would force us to go out and get at least 1-2 UFA's, but free's up a solid bit of cap space to do so.

Rozsival isn't getting traded, he's got a friendly cap hit for them...

It's been a crappy draft and now we can't get rid of our dead wood... I think a lot of posters here will be very disappointed in the next few weeks.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Fan in NJ View Post
They should just trade for Gomez. Then we can sign Belanger. I'd easily take him, or honestly any number of available centers over Gomez. Boom. Problem solved.
The whole reason Phoenix is interested in Gomez is because Belanger isn't a top 2 center on a playoff team...if we trade Gomez we better get a better option than Belanger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Rozsival isn't getting traded, he's got a friendly cap hit for them...

It's been a crappy draft and now we can't get rid of our dead wood... I think a lot of posters here will be very disappointed in the next few weeks.
Good to know you have a crystal ball...

Old
06-25-2011, 04:24 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
The whole reason Phoenix is interested in Gomez is because Belanger isn't a top 2 center on a playoff team...if we trade Gomez we better get a better option than Belanger.
And Gomez is ?

We got Plekanec and they don't, that's the difference.

If we can get rid of Gomez's salary and sign a Top 2 defenceman + a Top 6 forward... I don't mind Belanger/Eller/DD trying out as the no2 centre...

Old
habitue*

Quote:
Bélanger is plenty for Gomez

The Habs get rid of a fat long contract and a mediocre player, for a reliable third line center who can win face offs and play on PK.

Old
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
I dont think of belanger as a potential #2 centre. However, Halpern's contract is up, and my gut feeling is that he wont be back with montreal. That is a perfect role for Belanger to take up.

The habs dont have a suitable replacement for gomez internally. The closest candidate to taking gomez's role is desharnias, and perhaps desharnais is already a better candidate than gomez, but I'd like a more stable option in that permanent top 6 slot.

This is partly why I think the habs bite the bullet with gomez for at least another season and just hope he finds a way to contribute more to the club.

Ideally, you hope eller makes some big strides this season so the habs dont have to go shopping for a suitable candidate.

Last edited by Hackett: 06-25-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old
06-25-2011, 04:26 PM
macavoy

Quote:
How was getting Nathan Bealeau a crappy draft? Rounds 3-7 are all like lotto picks anyways. We got a player ranked 8-11 in the number 17 draft. That makes it a great draft. Who cares that we didn't get ideal 5th rounders, they are 5th rounders, nothing worth crying over.

But your right, I bet come July 2nd, there will be a lot of disappointed fans and I'll be happy. This is a horrible UFA crop and I won't mind if we miss out on paying Laich $5m

Old
06-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
As stated by half the posters.

Unless there is a great upgrade... keep Gomez

Old
06-25-2011, 04:28 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Good to know you have a crystal ball...
It's been a crappy draft... It might pan out, but the odds aren't very high... it has nothing to do with crystal balls...

Also, it's been crappy because we haven't been able to get a 2nd and a 3rd round draft pick and trade the useless players...

But I guess you have your pink goggles on and everything is perfect.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
It's been a crappy draft... It might pan out, but the odds aren't very high... it has nothing to do with crystal balls...

Also, it's been crappy because we haven't been able to get a 2nd and a 3rd round draft pick and trade the useless players...

But I guess you have your pink goggles on and everything is perfect.
Obviously you're a draft expert and have seen all the guys we drafted multiple times, so entertain us with your thoughts on what's wrong with our players drafted?

Maybe they preferred getting 3 4ths rather than 1 2nd rounder being that those players were probably close in caliber.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:32 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
How was getting Nathan Bealeau a crappy draft? Rounds 3-7 are all like lotto picks anyways. We got a player ranked 8-11 in the number 17 draft. That makes it a great draft. Who cares that we didn't get ideal 5th rounders, they are 5th rounders, nothing worth crying over.

But your right, I bet come July 2nd, there will be a lot of disappointed fans and I'll be happy. This is a horrible UFA crop and I won't mind if we miss out on paying Laich $5m
Laich will sign a discount for a team like LA (beautiful state of California) or something like that and then people will complain that we could've gotten him for 3.5 million and that PG never pulled the trigger

Even though we all know he would never sign in Montreal for the type of discount he'll likely give the team he signs with.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:35 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
how is losing gomez a huge hole? he had 38 pts and was -15 it would be an improvement to get rid of him. I'm sure there are much better options available and for cheaper

Old
06-25-2011, 04:35 PM
Galchenyuk27
C'est le buuuuuuuuut

Send a message via AIM to Galchenyuk27
I never was one of the big haters for Gomez but I don't see how people are making it out to be so hard to replace a $7.3mil, 38 point center.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:36 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
How far below the 48million floor are the Coyotes?
lol jesus wasnt 48 mill THE cap not too long ago?!

Old
06-25-2011, 04:37 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux91 View Post
lol jesus wasnt 48 mill THE cap not too long ago?!
In 07-08 the CEILING was 50.3, now 48.7 is the FLOOR!!

Trust me, several teams are going to be wanting Gomez type contracts or offering ridiculous money in Free Agency.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:41 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Obviously you're a draft expert and have seen all the guys we drafted multiple times, so entertain us with your thoughts on what's wrong with our players drafted?

Maybe they preferred getting 3 4ths rather than 1 2nd rounder being that those players were probably close in caliber.
Beaulieu is a nice prospect that might actually be our best... but we don't need another defenceman.

We already have a pretty weak system and none of the players drafted has help improve it (I wonder if any of them would crack our Top 20 beside Beaulieu).

Compared to other teams that had high draftees, it's obvious that it wasn't a glorious day.

Next year, we might say otherwise, but it's foolish to be excited about what happen today.

I don't care if our 6th rounder becomes a NHLer and is a steal... if he only becomes a 40-50 pts scorer, it's still not what we need.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:43 PM
Andy

Quote:
Beaulieu is a nice prospect that might actually be our best... but we don't need another defenceman.

We already have a pretty weak system and none of the players drafted has help improve it (I wonder if any of them would crack our Top 20 beside Beaulieu).

Compared to other teams that had high draftees, it's obvious that it wasn't a glorious day.

Next year, we might say otherwise, but it's foolish to be excited about what happen today.

I don't care if our 6th rounder becomes a NHLer and is a steal... if he only becomes a 40-50 pts scorer, it's still not what we need.
Where is the analysis on the players we drafted?

Old
06-25-2011, 04:45 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
In 07-08 the CEILING was 50.3, now 48.7 is the FLOOR!!

Trust me, several teams are going to be wanting Gomez type contracts or offering ridiculous money in Free Agency.
The cap has gone up roughly 28% since summer of 2007 being the year Markov signed his last deal at 5.75M... add 28% to that and it's 7.3M... and people aren't happy with his recent deal? He clearly had to take a discount from his injuries, but to me the contract is entirely fair for this reason.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:47 PM
twoism

can we just fast-forward to October already please?

Closed Thread