HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible Targets for Defensive Defensemen?

Old
10-11-2011, 11:52 PM
alphafox

vCash: 500
Possible Targets for Defensive Defensemen?

Seeing the comments from everyone after this brutal start, and the obvious defensive holes in the jackets game, I was wondering who Columbus might be targeting as a defensive defense men to clear the crease for Mason.

I know that we would all love to have a Weber or Keith but that is only going to happen through the draft (or maybe free agency if we are blessed by the Hockey Gods). Realistically who could we target to supplement the puck possession game that Arniel wants to play with solid physical defense, and what would it take to get them?

Last edited by alphafox: 10-12-2011 at 12:04 AM.
alphafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2011, 11:56 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
Seeing the comments from everyone after this brutal start, and the obvious defensive holes I was wondering who Columbus might be targeting as a defensive defense men to clear the crease for Mason. I know that we would all love to have a Weber or Keith but that is only going to happen through the draft (or maybe free agency if we are blessed by the Hockey Gods). Realistically who could we target to supplement the puck possession game that Arniel wants to play with solid physical defense?
It is difficult, maybe Brassard because he play wing what is not his spot... maybe Vermette I really do not know.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Crede777
Deputized

I don't think we're going to get a defenseman unless we swap out one of our own. The CBJ management already has Johnson/Holden on the bubble and wants to allow room for Savard, Moore, and Goloubef.

As is, we have a lot of 2nd/3rd/4th line defensemen (4th being bubble NHL/AHL defensemen). Acquiring a top-pairing defenseman via trade would almost certainly be two steps back and one forward as the cost would be immense.

Immovables would be Nash, Carter, Umberger (contract), Wisniewski, Huselius (situation), and I'm going to say Vermette because of his contract and situation (unsure about NMC). That leaves Brassard, Johansen, Tyutin, Methot, Mason, Russell, Savard, Moore, Prospal, and depth players as possible pieces in a trade. Some of those would be unappealing to other teams (Mason, depth) and some would be unnappealing for us to move (Johansen, Tyutin, etc.).

Last edited by Crede777: 10-12-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Crede777 is offline   Reply With Quote