HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Nikita Filatov to Ottawa for a 3rd Round Pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2011, 04:09 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
At this point I would take Tootoo on this team before any return of Filatov.
Well now, let's not get carried away!

Old
06-25-2011, 04:13 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by MephistoIV View Post
To me, this trade shows that SH and SA are ready for Calvert to step into the top 6 or 9 along with Kubalik.
Yikes, Calvert in top 6? For spot duty, yes, but not as a regular. I thought that after Matt's explosion onto the scene and subsequent hat trick, the other teams took notice of him and shut him down pretty convincingly. He was not all that after he came up from under the radar.

LOVE his hustle, grit, and determination. Yup, his intagibles are a lot of what the CBJ needs more of, but... can we not rush yet ANOTHER ONE????

PS: he falls down a lot.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Yikes, Calvert in top 6? For spot duty, yes, but not as a regular. I thought that after Matt's explosion onto the scene and subsequent hat trick, the other teams took notice of him and shut him down pretty convincingly. He was not all that after he came up from under the radar.

LOVE his hustle, grit, and determination. Yup, his intagibles are a lot of what the CBJ needs more of, but... can we not rush yet ANOTHER ONE????

PS: he falls down a lot.
I agree, except that Calvert's drop in production happened to coincide with the ENTIRE team tanking late.

Calvert would look real good on a scoring third line. Maybe down the road with more experience and maturity he moves himself up, but I have no problem with him being on a dangerous third line.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:25 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
I agree, except that Calvert's drop in production happened to coincide with the ENTIRE team tanking late.
Let's not forget it was late in the season in his first pro year.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:32 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Let's not forget it was late in the season in his first pro year.
Yes. All the more reason to ease him in next year. Nik looked pretty specatular in flashes of his first season as a pro.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:52 PM
hossua34
Mutt

Send a message via AIM to hossua34 Send a message via Yahoo to hossua34
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjoshjosh View Post
I love how whenever a player fails within this organization it's everyone's fault but their own.
You do know that most of the players we have drafted in the first round have turned out to be either busts or at the very least, disappointments, don't you? That fact can't have escaped you. Sure some of it was probably poor drafting, not evaluating a prospect's tenacity and character enough, etc. But if Johansen doesn't pan out, are you really going to still be here telling everyone it was his own fault? Because if that happens, that should be enough evidence for you that SOMETHING about the way this organization conducts itself destroys players' development.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:55 PM
hip check
Go North.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossua34 View Post
You do know that most of the players we have drafted in the first round have turned out to be either busts or at the very least, disappointments, don't you? That fact can't have escaped you. Sure some of it was probably poor drafting, not evaluating a prospect's tenacity and character enough, etc. But if Johansen doesn't pan out, are you really going to still be here telling everyone it was his own fault? Because if that happens, that should be enough evidence for you that SOMETHING about the way this organization conducts itself destroys players' development.
Are you suggesting that this wasn't Filatov's fault?

Old
06-25-2011, 05:34 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

The Rangers dealt Evgeny Grachev today too for a third rounder, I guess its not really the same since Grachev was a third round pick and not a first round pick in '08.

It was smart of the CBJ to leak that Filatov asked for a trade, that certainly took me off the fence totally when debating this trade.

Old
06-25-2011, 05:37 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Certainly this was a case in the Player not doing what they needed to do. The CBJ gave this particular player ample oppurtunity and he chose NOT to take advantage of them. But I don't disagree with you on a lot of this. Maybe it was just Doug, as it looks like our prospects steps seem to be more encouraging, but there was, and still may be a flaw or hiccup in the way this team develops prospects.

Old
06-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by MephistoIV View Post
To me, this trade shows that SH and SA are ready for Calvert to step into the top 6 or 9 along with Kubalik.
I don't know if Matty C is ready or best suited for top 6 right now, but I don't think that development had anything to do with Little Niki. Like Calvert was going to take that spot away from Filatov? He already did!

Old
06-25-2011, 06:33 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Wow, traded for 3rd round pick? That is kind of sad

Old
06-25-2011, 06:38 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
**** you Filatov. I hope you crash and burn and never play in the NHL again. Can't wait to boo your ass if you get the miracle chance of playing in the NHL.
I wish him well. I hope he reaches his potential. He's a young guy who gets one more chance. I hope he re-commits himself and makes the very most of it that he can.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:12 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Can't help but think there was more to this Filatov story than we were told.

Also feeling sorry for Hitch as The Filatov issue was part of his fall from favor.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:20 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Do you think about it that it could be thinking on his recent value and not the character?

Lee you do not find any words about his bad work ethic. I red Dispatch blogs and never find it.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:20 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Honestly Hossua, I don't think it's a one or the other situation. I think it's probably varying degrees of both.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:23 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

And that he did not know defense? I can you give the interview in Arniel when he said his defense was good. I put it there it was in Russian.

I am sure he will be a star and i am shocked his trade respective his value.

Btw he did not answer for all me but he wish all the best to Columbus.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:26 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Do you think about it that it could be thinking on his recent value and not the character?

Lee you do not find any words about his bad work ethic. I red Dispatch blogs and never find it.
mt-svk, when you hear/read quotes from coaches and front office folks, you really have to read between the lines. It's all there.

The bigger concern for me is why this organization has so many problems with players who don't/wont work hard to realize their potential (add Zherdev, Commodore, Voracek). One reason would be the lack of competition for them to earn playing time, but I gotta think there is something more. We've always had a "country club culture" problem. I thought it had started get better under Hitch?

Old
06-25-2011, 07:32 PM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

It is interesting lee becuase even Porzline wrote Filatov had never problems in the locker room. Plus another Umby tweet describe him as a good kid.

So IMo you are not right in it.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:46 PM
KOL86

There was an article in the Ottawa Sun that said Columbus was afraid of being "embarassed" by their first-round pick playing another season in Russia this year, so they dealt him for a 3rd round pick. According to Howson, it was get a third round pick for him, or let him play in Russia.

So it does sound like there was more going on behind the scenes that was never discussed. A few months ago, there was that article saying Columbus was already looking for a third-round pick for him, a week or two after Columbus's season was over. Nikita's been asked several times on his Formspring if he was playing in the USA or Russia next season, and he never answers the question. He always says "we'll see".

It sounds like Filatov made it clear to management that he would not be back this season if he wasn't traded. That's just my interpretation of all the things I've seen.

My only question is if all he cost was a third-round pick, why didn't more teams jump at the chance?! Even if you're not sure of his potential, how sure can you be of the potential of a third-rounder? Boggles my mind. I think he'll fit in well in Ottawa, and hopefully this new start will allow him to live up to his potential.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:49 PM
JF Omalycat
CBJ Express

I had seriously high hopes for the kid, but like Blah said, he can suck it. Whiny-ass momma's boy.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:49 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
It is interesting lee becuase even Porzline wrote Filatov had never problems in the locker room. Plus another Umby tweet describe him as a good kid.

So IMo you are not right in it.
No one I've talked to has said Filatov wasn't a likeable kid. That's certainly not what I've been saying. Filatov is not a partier like Zherdev or Voracek was. You won't read coaches or front office folks saying those things publicly either, but I can assure you - from people I know and talk to regularly - that it's true.

I'm saying he has unrealistic expectations if he thinks just being drafted means he will just be "given" ice time and opportunity to play with the big club. He's also mistaken if he thinks he can just play HIS game even if it doesn't mesh with what the rest of the team. And when the going gets tough, he needs to get going, just not going back to Russia.

Bottom line, he needs to mature - and a fledgling club like Columbus doesn't have the time or patience to wait on him forever.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:03 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

mt-svk, I believe we're at an impasse on this topic. You love the kid. I don't. I'll stop trying to convince you.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:04 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Good bye,

Maybe the loser culture is finally gone.

Old
06-25-2011, 08:23 PM
RebelMe
The Last Unconcussed

Send a message via ICQ to RebelMe
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
No one I've talked to has said Filatov wasn't a likeable kid. That's certainly not what I've been saying. Filatov is not a partier like Zherdev or Voracek was. You won't read coaches or front office folks saying those things publicly either, but I can assure you - from people I know and talk to regularly - that it's true.

I'm saying he has unrealistic expectations if he thinks just being drafted means he will just be "given" ice time and opportunity to play with the big club. He's also mistaken if he thinks he can just play HIS game even if it doesn't mesh with what the rest of the team. And when the going gets tough, he needs to get going, just not going back to Russia.

Bottom line, he needs to mature - and a fledgling club like Columbus doesn't have the time or patience to wait on him forever.
OT: I didn't follow the off ice things very closely, but is it somehow...confirmed...that Jake liked to party? It's just that I always imagined him rather as a nerdy kid who goes off the ice and plays videogames for the rest of the day .

Old
06-25-2011, 08:47 PM
umbyforpresident

Good riddance - we wasted the good surprise on you Nikita Filatov. If you go ruin Ottawa, my first team, I will change my "detest" to "hate" on my facebook profile when describing you. Jerk.

Closed Thread