HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nikita Filatov to Ottawa for a 3rd Round Pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2011, 08:59 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelMe View Post
OT: I didn't follow the off ice things very closely, but is it somehow...confirmed...that Jake liked to party? It's just that I always imagined him rather as a nerdy kid who goes off the ice and plays videogames for the rest of the day .
Yep.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:32 PM
CBJfan28

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
No one I've talked to has said Filatov wasn't a likeable kid. That's certainly not what I've been saying. Filatov is not a partier like Zherdev or Voracek was. You won't read coaches or front office folks saying those things publicly either, but I can assure you - from people I know and talk to regularly - that it's true.
Filatov LOVES to party! I heard THAT from many people who witnessed his antics!

Old
06-25-2011, 09:37 PM
CBJfan28

Oh yeah..guess it's time for a new avatar and screen name for me!

Old
06-25-2011, 09:44 PM
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJfan28 View Post

Bryan Murray got the message

Old
06-25-2011, 10:39 PM
squarelaces

Scotty Upshaw loves this

Old
06-25-2011, 11:30 PM
The Four Seven
Boone Jenner

Quote:
Oh yeah..guess it's time for a new avatar and screen name for me!
You can still use the number 28. My all-time favorite Jacket Tyler Wright wore it! He's cool and hip enough to warrant consideration for a message-board persona right?

Old
06-25-2011, 11:56 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
From the Ottawa Citizen

Quote:
Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson said he made the deal because Filatov had told him almost two weeks ago that he was going to stay in Russia next season.

“It got to a point where Nikita had requested a change, and we were really looking at getting an asset of this level (the third-round pick) or we were letting him stay in Russia again,” Howson said.

“It’s not something you want to do, but I also believe we all make mistakes in this league and you’ve got to move on from your mistakes.”

Old
06-26-2011, 12:11 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Just catching up after being on the road the last three days on a family vacation.

First, I will give a shout-out to Porty and the dispatch. I've given them a couple of shots before (the Dineen stuff was too much last year) but I'll give credit where credit is due. They were on the Carter rumor awhile back (as were others) and the Filly for a mid-round pick proposal. I've been without internet access the last couple of days, but was kept up-to-date by getting twitter texts to my cheap phone from Porty. It was exciting to get the updates about Carter, Filatov, etc while I was on the road. (Note I don't condone texting and driving - my wife was checking the updates).

Filatov. Where to start? Like so many on here, I really wanted him to turn it around and become the sniper we were all hoping for. Last year he was given a chance to be a top 6 winger and he looked woefully out of place, except the odd shift and a couple of pre-season games. I didn't see him play in Springfield, but by all accounts, he did nothing special there. Injury or not, it was time for him to step up and he didn't. He had brought this ultimatum on himself, with his crap he pulled the year before when he took off to Russia instead of accepting an assignment to Syracuse.

With Howson likely shopping him over the last year, I'm sure he was well-scouted by many teams and I'm thinking the final analysis was not pretty. I think it's pretty clear now that all the sugar in the world wasn't going to make this lemon of a situation into a lemonade trade at this point.

It sucks getting a third round pick for a former #6 pick, but it is time to move on. I'll give Filatov slight credit for not making the trade demand public. We might not have gotten more than a 6th round pick then. For that, I hope he has a nice career in the KHL. But I never want to hear his name again after today.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:57 AM
FANonymous

Can we send Commodore to the KHL?

Old
06-26-2011, 01:23 AM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

It's pretty funny how Jackets fans don't realize how bad the team is at developing prospects.

Nikita will flourish in Ottawa. He's 21, give him a ****ing break.

Old
06-26-2011, 01:39 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco the Monkey View Post
It's pretty funny how Jackets fans don't realize how bad the team is at developing prospects.

Your opinion is noted but not valued, seeing as though any fact behind it died along with the Syracuse affiliation.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
06-26-2011, 01:43 AM
King City Warrior

Quote:

As a fellow Ottawa fan you should be aware of the many many russian primadonna type players that have been around the organisation I don't count Ilya Zubov among those however, he worked hard and I think he might return. However now that Filatov has been traded here, we will have to see, but I sure hope he can mature a bit with all of the experience in the senators coaching staff and roster, and really do his absolute best and play very hard. There are many people in life and the NHL who have used a change in life or a trade to trigger very successful careers, and perhaps that is the case here.

I don't think we should be insulting the development abilities of other teams, no one knows the full ins and outs of things, but with young creative offence based players, they are going to make some mistakes, and you scream at them, tell them don't do this etc, then a couple minutes later pat them on the back and send them back out. This might be the sticking point in this whole thing, you can't just infinitely bench them or healthy scratch them, but there was likely a reason for doing so, you are trying to prove a point or get them to understand, work etc.

Anyway Columbus is a good organisation and we will find out what happens, and even if Filatov succeeds it doesn't mean Columbus is a bad developing team, sometimes you need the right people, the right situations, the right actions to trigger different things in different people from different cultures.

Anyway congratulations Columbus on the good draft pick made with ottawa's pick, and good luck next season, I always have a soft spot for Columbus.

Old
06-26-2011, 03:09 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

No, hes pretty spot on. We blow at developing.

But this was Filatov's fault.. Not ours like it was for Brule.

Old
06-26-2011, 03:32 AM
TSA0402

Quote:

Nikita was a victim of circumstance, CBJ felt they didn't have all year to wait for him to regain his scoring touch. They need results and zero goals in 20+games isn't what they were looking for. People don't seem to realize he didn't play that badly here, just as been mentioned several times too much of a perimeter and didn't catch any breaks.

Also, judging from the player comments, something clearly happened here that alot of people are missing.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:01 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

It is interesting Umby deleted his tweet about Filatov he let only this:

Quote:
Great opportunity for filatov to start over.. wish him best of luck, good kid. Good move for us to improve prospects
so it is a question why. Whether for it people bad explain his words or someone told him it is not good tweet.

Old
06-26-2011, 04:29 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
mt-svk, I believe we're at an impasse on this topic. You love the kid. I don't. I'll stop trying to convince you.
Lee, I like him but my favourites players are other. Boll and Umberger. But I wanted him here because he has a talent, great hockey sense, passes, speed and skill and it is what we need. I am afraid we silly lost him.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:28 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Pretty sad when you look at ten years of suckage, and all we have to really show for it is Rick Nash. Pretty hard to "build through the draft" when so many of your high number one picks are busts. Not saying Brass is a bust, but has he played to 1st round expectations yet? I realize we have never sucked enough to get a lot of top three picks, but still!

Back to Matty. I realize he came up late in the season, and I am not saying he is going to play lights out, and deserves a spot on the top 6. What I have said is that realistically I hope that he can produce on a solid scoring third line, and if he plays himself higher in the line-up than so be it.

After all, isn't Nash a "streaky" scorer?

Old
06-26-2011, 05:42 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Pretty sad when you look at ten years of suckage, and all we have to really show for it is Rick Nash. Pretty hard to "build through the draft" when so many of your high number one picks are busts. Not saying Brass is a bust, but has he played to 1st round expectations yet? I realize we have never sucked enough to get a lot of top three picks, but still!
Sixth overall picks in the last decade or so. The fact of the matter is you answered your own question.

2010 Brett Connolly RW Tampa Bay Lightning
2009 Oliver Ekman Larsson D Phoenix Coyotes
2008 Nikita Filatov LW Columbus Blue Jackets
2007 Sam Gagner RW Edmonton Oilers
2006 Derick Brassard C Columbus Blue Jackets
2005 Gilbert Brule C Columbus Blue Jackets
2004 Al Montoya G New York Rangers
2003 Milan Michalek LW/RW San Jose Sharks
2002 Scott Upshall LW/RW Nashville Predators
2001 Mikko Koivu C Minnesota Wild
2000 Scott Hartnell C Nashville Predators
1999 Brian Finley G Nashville Predators
1998 Rico Fata RW Calgary Flames

"we have never sucked enough to get a lot of top three picks"

Derick Brassard is FAR from a bust. People expecting him to be a 1C so quickly, are nothing short of... oh wait I can't say that here.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:57 AM
FiveHole23

I seriously doubt he will be worth anything in Ottawa.

He is a cocky kid. He has gone then last 36 NHL games scoring 2 goals, as a "pure" goal scorer.

His defense ability will keep him off the top lne in Ottawa. If you can't get the puck out of your own zone your not going to score many goals.

Im just pissed got to figure out how to change my avatar.

Old
06-26-2011, 07:55 AM
General Jacket70

I was hoping he'd come back this year and slot on the second line, but obviously the filatov-management relationship was too far gone.

I wish him the best in Ottawa and I hope it works out for him.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:54 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Howson has learned it... take that to the Bank.

The Next CBJ GM (whoever it will be, whenever it will be) will inevitably come across a situation where they have a chance to select a Russian and they will most likely do so, and the cycle will begin again.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:55 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:

Old
06-26-2011, 11:51 AM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Just to be clear, I wasn't ripping on any of you guys, or saying Nikita will be a superstar in Ottawa. I just want him to be a serviceable Top 6 player, that's it. If that happens us Sens fans will be thrilled

But yes we understand you guys. That's why the Sens don't draft Russians anymore.

Hopefully this is a swift kick in the arse for Nikita.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Coco the Monkey*
T-Bone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHole23 View Post
I seriously doubt he will be worth anything in Ottawa.

He is a cocky kid. He has gone then last 36 NHL games scoring 2 goals, as a "pure" goal scorer.

His defense ability will keep him off the top lne in Ottawa. If you can't get the puck out of your own zone your not going to score many goals.

Im just pissed got to figure out how to change my avatar.
Wingers don't have to be reliable defensively. Heatley thrived in Ottawa by doing nothing in his own end. Spezza has developed into a solid 2 way player, so he will take all the heat off Nikita, if they ever play together.

Nikita and Zibanejad could form a nice pairing if Nikita is here long-term. Zibanejad will do all the dirty work and Nikita will do the shooting.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Wingers don't have to be reliable defensively. Heatley thrived in Ottawa by doing nothing in his own end. Spezza has developed into a solid 2 way player, so he will take all the heat off Nikita, if they ever play together.

Nikita and Zibanejad could form a nice pairing if Nikita is here long-term. Zibanejad will do all the dirty work and Nikita will do the shooting.
Your first sentence is pretty funny.

Closed Thread