HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nikita Filatov to Ottawa for a 3rd Round Pick

Closed Thread

Old
06-26-2011, 01:48 PM
leesmith
Still in.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco the Monkey View Post
Just to be clear, I wasn't ripping on any of you guys, or saying Nikita will be a superstar in Ottawa. I just want him to be a serviceable Top 6 player, that's it. If that happens us Sens fans will be thrilled

But yes we understand you guys. That's why the Sens don't draft Russians anymore.

Hopefully this is a swift kick in the arse for Nikita.
I understand you guys too and really like Ottawa - what an awesome city! That's why I never mentioned Yashin. Oops!

Old
06-26-2011, 06:56 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
Must have been really well liked in the locker room, eh?
There was the perception that he wouldn't go 100% unless he felt 100%. Anyone who's ever played a sport at any level knows that you very rarely feel 100%, whether from minor injuries, fatigue, or any of a thousand other reasons.

Besides, if Portzline is supposed to feel "vindicated", where's my cookie? I said a year ago that Filatov's *****ing about ice time was undermining the coaching staff during the 2009-10 season and directly contributed to the underachieving that took place that year, as well as having a directly detrimental effect on Brassard and Voracek.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Stylizer1
Stone Cold Stunner

vCash: 709
I'm hoping that with new line mates and coaching staff that he has a chance to be a top 6 forward next season.

Old
06-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Hipster Letestu

Honestly I'm glad he's someone else's headache now. Never once did I see what all the hype or hoopla was all about with this kid. He was a meek kitten on the ice and apparently a piece of crap off the ice. Good riddance, glad to see this organization is now drafting not only for skill but also for character.

Old
06-26-2011, 09:34 PM
WORLDSTARHIPHOP
Stone 4 Calder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxs View Post
Your first sentence is pretty funny.
It's true... Heatley floated back defensively all the time while Spezza has developed his defensive play to a point where he has solid backchecks and saves 2 on 1's.

Old
06-27-2011, 03:56 AM
SilverSeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOL86 View Post
There was an article in the Ottawa Sun that said Columbus was afraid of being "embarassed" by their first-round pick playing another season in Russia this year, so they dealt him for a 3rd round pick. According to Howson, it was get a third round pick for him, or let him play in Russia.

So it does sound like there was more going on behind the scenes that was never discussed. A few months ago, there was that article saying Columbus was already looking for a third-round pick for him, a week or two after Columbus's season was over. Nikita's been asked several times on his Formspring if he was playing in the USA or Russia next season, and he never answers the question. He always says "we'll see".

It sounds like Filatov made it clear to management that he would not be back this season if he wasn't traded. That's just my interpretation of all the things I've seen.

My only question is if all he cost was a third-round pick, why didn't more teams jump at the chance?! Even if you're not sure of his potential, how sure can you be of the potential of a third-rounder? Boggles my mind. I think he'll fit in well in Ottawa, and hopefully this new start will allow him to live up to his potential.
I dont get this either. Especially when Dreger said that the draft floor was abuzz, with pretty much every GM saying it was a steal for Ottawa.

Gotta wonder how many teams were even aware if thats the case.

Old
06-27-2011, 07:28 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSeven View Post
I dont get this either. Especially when Dreger said that the draft floor was abuzz, with pretty much every GM saying it was a steal for Ottawa.

Gotta wonder how many teams were even aware if thats the case.
The second and third round went so fast. I think that might have been an issue.

Old
06-27-2011, 07:38 AM
TSA0402

Its possible many teams were aware of the flight risk of Filatov. This combined with his recent struggles alot of playoff/contending teams most likely wouldn't take a chance on Filatov with his cap hit. It would be down to about 5 or so bottom feeding teams. NYI seem ok on wingers, not too sure about Florida probably the KHL risk etc...

For the record, I know he wants to play in the NHL. But even now on his little website, he is still pretty much admitting that he has no interest in playing in the AHL.

Old
06-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Matt

So we get rid of one prima donna and pick up another. Which is the larger headache.

Old
06-27-2011, 08:13 AM
Fro
Cheatin on CBJ w TBL

lightthelamp lightthelamp
It starts RT @SensChirp: The #Sens were hoping to have Filatov at the Development Camp this week but apparently he will not be here in time.

hahahaha

Old
06-27-2011, 08:51 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
lightthelamp lightthelamp
It starts RT @SensChirp: The #Sens were hoping to have Filatov at the Development Camp this week but apparently he will not be here in time.

hahahaha
Sens management was crazy if they thought he would show up for a prospect camp....

Old
06-27-2011, 08:53 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
So we get rid of one prima donna and pick up another. Which is the larger headache.
The prima donna that has proven he can actually play and put up points at the NHL level is still the one I would rather have.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by astall35 View Post
Honestly I'm glad he's someone else's headache now. Never once did I see what all the hype or hoopla was all about with this kid. He was a meek kitten on the ice and apparently a piece of crap off the ice. Good riddance, glad to see this organization is now drafting not only for skill but also for character.
He was the first CBJ rookie to ever score a hat-trick. That generates some hype, especially on a team starved for offense.

But in the end you are right, he did not have what it took to win a top 6 job here, and he's of little use anywhere else in your line up. I guess I'm bummed we basically turned a 7th overall pick into a 3rd round pick. First round picks should develop into NHL roster players, if they don't, someone isn't doing their job(scouting and/or development).

Old
06-27-2011, 09:43 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordique View Post
First round picks should develop into NHL roster players, if they don't, someone isn't doing their job(scouting and/or development).
Let's take the 2005 draft for a second...

http://hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2005e.html

I count 13 players that haven't played 100 games, yet, at the NHL level. 11 in 2004. 8 in 2002. 2003 was, of course, the year. 6 in 2001.

This doesn't even include all the players that had a nothing career in the 200 or so games they played (basically a couple of nothing years and dumped).

Even in 2001 you still had a 20% fail rate. You also had a few failures in the top 10. Svitov, for example, was never going to live up to the #3 overall billing. If it wasn't for us, would Novotny have gotten anywhere close to 189 games? Yep, Novotny was the #22 pick in the 2001 draft.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
He was the first CBJ rookie to ever score a hat-trick. That generates some hype, especially on a team starved for offense.

But in the end you are right, he did not have what it took to win a top 6 job here, and he's of little use anywhere else in your line up. I guess I'm bummed we basically turned a 7th overall pick into a 3rd round pick. First round picks should develop into NHL roster players, if they don't, someone isn't doing their job(scouting and/or development).
He's not the first and won't be the last first round pick to disappoint. And not speaking just of the CBJ.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:46 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
First round picks should develop into NHL roster players, if they don't, someone isn't doing their job(scouting and/or development).
First off a low percentage of 20-30 first round picks even make it into the NHL. Secondly.. you are right in that 5-6 picks should make it into the NHL and be a positive player the vast majority of the time.

2005 6 Gilbert Brule Center
2006 6 Derick Brassard Center
2007 7 Jakub Voracek Right wing
2008 6 Nikita Filatov Left wing
2010 4 Ryan Johansen≠ Center

The clear problem is a lack of a top 2 pick. Howson didn't do a bad job at all, in fact I'd rate that above average for the picks given. I'm not even sure if Brule was his pick to be honest, but if it was he is still an NHL player(just not a particularly good one). Just wait for Filatov, he aint a bust yet. Just a primadonna.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA0402 View Post
I'm not even sure if Brule was his pick to be honest,
He wasn't.

Old
06-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
First off a low percentage of 20-30 first round picks even make it into the NHL. Secondly.. you are right in that 5-6 picks should make it into the NHL and be a positive player the vast majority of the time.

The clear problem is a lack of a top 2 pick. Howson didn't do a bad job at all, in fact I'd rate that above average for the picks given. I'm not even sure if Brule was his pick to be honest, but if it was he is still an NHL player(just not a particularly good one). Just wait for Filatov, he aint a bust yet. Just a primadonna.
Neither was Brassard. GMSH joined the CBJ just before the draft in 2007. Jake was his first pick.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:01 AM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
Neither was Brassard. GMSH joined the CBJ just before the draft in 2007. Jake was his first pick.
Thank you for correcting me. So this guy basically expects non elite prospects to just step into the NHL and be impact players the next year or two years later? I'd like a hit on what he is smoking.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:12 AM
General Saad

Maybe this deal with Ottawa is a precursor of another deal between the 2 teams ? Somebody mentioned that the draft floor was a buzz, but possibly only Ottawa was aware ? Does Ottawa have any assets on the blue line we may be interested in ?

I was a fan of Filatov from day one, but it seems like he is a *****. Although I do have to wonder how we let it get to this point . Was the communication lacking ? I do remember when Hitch was coaching, Filatov would seem to play a good game, then scratched the next. One would have to think Arniel gave him a clean slate. I just hope that we communicate with these young kids, as to why were doing, what were doing.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:16 AM
General Saad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
I would say that Jake, and Ryan Johan, are very solid picks, especially if Johan continues to develop. He was off the radar last year, to becoming probably the #2 prospect in hockey behind Schen.

Filatov was a wiff. I do think Howsons drafting has been much better, and we are seeing depth at center and d for the first time. I agree with Blah, that Howson seems to have an identity to our team, and is drafting players that meet that, probably the first time this has occured for the cbj.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:38 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

This works in this thread on so many levels:

Ottawa is probably my second favorite team after the Jackets, so if Filatov breaks out with anyone, I'd rather it be them than anyone else. I'm glad he gets a change of scenery, I think it can do nothing but help him, and we unload what has become a burden. To me, this looks like a win-win for both teams.

Old
06-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clitter on the point View Post
I would say that Jake, and Ryan Johan, are very solid picks, especially if Johan continues to develop. He was off the radar last year, to becoming probably the #2 prospect in hockey behind Schen.

Filatov was a wiff. I do think Howsons drafting has been much better, and we are seeing depth at center and d for the first time. I agree with Blah, that Howson seems to have an identity to our team, and is drafting players that meet that, probably the first time this has occured for the cbj.
I agree with each thing you said here. Johansen was arguably one of the most impressive draft picks anyone has made over the last three drafts. Nobody saw that kid going at #4 - not even me, and I had watched him all season long. I saw the skill, but I never thought he would become the type of prospect he has.

Never under Doug MacLean did we ever had prospects in our system like Kubalik, Calvert, or Savard. Kudos to what Scott Howson has done with his drafting. If you ask me, this will be where this team makes the turning point.

Old
06-27-2011, 12:14 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:

The real problem is from 2003-2006. A team can't afford to pick in the top 8 and have nothing to show for it for 4 consecutive years. Teams can't afford to have no one from the 2nd round come through at the same time.

Filatov just focuses us on the real problem.

Old
06-27-2011, 12:21 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
The real problem is from 2003-2006. A team can't afford to pick in the top 8 and have nothing to show for it for 4 consecutive years. Teams can't afford to have no one from the 2nd round come through at the same time.

Filatov just focuses us on the real problem.
True. That is a huge problem but, that seems to be the flaw of a previous management/scouting in Columbus. Nothing much Howson and company can do about that. Unfortunately most recently hired GM's are brought into unfavorable situations. They can't all be as fortunate as Brian Burke was with Anaheim.

Closed Thread