HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks 2011 3rd Round Pick, 90th Overall - F Alexander Grenier

Old
07-12-2011, 06:34 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I am less disappointed with this pick the further we get away from the draft. Unlike Blomstrand, he has good offensive upside. But with any of these project picks, it's a wait and see. Definitely a risk, and a reach considering what else was still available. So it will tell us something about the scouting staff either way.
I don't think the last pick in the 3rd round can be a reach. I think you lose "reach" potential after the first 2 rounds. Unless you're drafting the son of someone on your staff, but let's not get started on that.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2011, 07:16 PM
gsharpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by transcend View Post
Grenier has been traded to Halifax for the rights to a fourth round QMJHL draft pick and their CHL import draft pick. I believe he counts as an overager this year.

Most likely, Grenier plays with Nova Scotia-born wunderkind Nathan MacKinnon and 2012 draft eligible Martin Frk.
That's sick. I think I'm actually going to try and watch some CHL games next year that aren't the Giants.

gsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 11:57 AM
Placebo Effect

Brain farting right now but what is the cutoff date for a player playing their overage year? Is it simply turning 20 in the calendar year that their overage season begins?

Grenier has definitely jumped up the list of prospects to watch this season.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 12:11 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Ok this is going to be an issue for me following Grenier this year so I better learn now:
How do you pronounce "Frk"?

Old
07-13-2011, 01:03 PM
Placebo Effect

Ferk, IIRC

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:07 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
Ferk, IIRC
Cool, thanks. I really wanted it to be Frik though

Old
07-13-2011, 01:57 PM
Tiranis

Watch this guy:

When he says 'krk', that's how you say it except start with an F (like the first PH in philosopher).

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 08:33 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
Brain farting right now but what is the cutoff date for a player playing their overage year? Is it simply turning 20 in the calendar year that their overage season begins?
Correct. It is simply the calendar year. So for this year, any player born in 1991 is considered an overage player. Grenier, Anthony, Friesen and Tockhin qualify for their over-age season.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:31 AM
Jyrki21
Registered Trademark

Sorry if this has already been posted, but unlike a certain Mr. Duco, Grenier was actually cheering for the Canucks during the Finals:

https://twitter.com/#!/greener05/sta...21548082733057

Last edited by Jyrki21: 07-14-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Jyrki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki21 View Post
Sorry if this has already been posted, but unlike a certain Mr. Duco, Grenier was actually cheering for the Canucks during the Finals:

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/greene...21548082733057

Link doesn't work on computer. http://twitter.com/#!/greener05/stat...21548082733057

Jevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 04:56 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

That's more like it Greener!

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 06:08 PM
Tim Calhoun
Tim Calhoun

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrki21 View Post

https://twitter.com/#!/greener05/sta...21548082733057

Probably because he's a Habs fan.

Tim Calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:55 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...

Grenier has looked pretty brutal at the start of the season. He is playing a soft, disinterested, semi-floating game with zero hustle as it stands right now; it is pretty disappointing. He gets beaten all the time physically along the boards (the times he ventures there) by players quite a bit smaller than him.

The only thing I will say is that his pure, raw talent looks really nice as most of us know. However, he has a long long long way to go this season before he even proves he can make the AHL even.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...

Grenier has looked pretty brutal at the start of the season. He is playing a soft, disinterested, semi-floating game with zero hustle as it stands right now; it is pretty disappointing. He gets beaten all the time physically along the boards (the times he ventures there) by players quite a bit smaller than him.

The only thing I will say is that his pure, raw talent looks really nice as most of us know. However, he has a long long long way to go this season before he even proves he can make the AHL even.
Sounds like Grenier is the next Bernier.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
Bernier wasn't half bad. If you can get an average 3rd liner with a 3rd round pick I'd call that a decent pick.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:58 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Bernier wasn't half bad. If you can get an average 3rd liner with a 3rd round pick I'd call that a decent pick.

Maybe he meant Marc-Andre Bernier... Sweet 2nd round pick we made in '03. Big, skilled, soft Q forward that I don't beleive even made the AHL... Looks like a pretty good comparison so far...

Reign Nateo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
You're right... they do sound alike.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:33 PM
pdefenestrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Maybe he meant Marc-Andre Bernier... Sweet 2nd round pick we made in '03. Big, skilled, soft Q forward that I don't beleive even made the AHL... Looks like a pretty good comparison so far...
MAB was also a Moosehead who later scored 2 points in 39 games in the AHL and is currently tearing up the French League.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=11506

Also tearing up the French League is another former Canucks draftee from the Mooseheads, Francois-Pierre Guenette.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=13417

Really digging the Canucks record with Moosehead forwards. Don't forget about Brandon Reid, Marc Chouinard, and Jason King. Wasn't Jimmy Sharrow a Canucks property for a while too?

Last edited by pdefenestrator: 10-06-2011 at 03:43 PM.
pdefenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Thanks for the update, P4G. That's too bad...the skill is certainly there, and I was moderately excited about the pick. Hopefully he's able to find his drive and start playing well, and it's just early season rust.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
That's not really surprising, we knew he was a long-term prospect and that was pretty apparent in camp. But not working hard immediately after getting his first look at the pros, that's disappointing. Motivation shouldn't be a problem for him, he's 20 and needs to perform this year to get a contract.

Lard_Lad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Thanks for the update, P4G. That's too bad...the skill is certainly there, and I was moderately excited about the pick. Hopefully he's able to find his drive and start playing well, and it's just early season rust.
No problem. It should also be said that I am not trying to read too much into it. It is only 4 games into the season for Grenier, just calling it as I see it so far and thought people would be interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lard_Lad
That's not really surprising, we knew he was a long-term prospect and that was pretty apparent in camp. But not working hard immediately after getting his first look at the pros, that's disappointing. Motivation shouldn't be a problem for him, he's 20 and needs to perform this year to get a contract.
Well, that's just it isn't it? It's more disappointment than anything that he is playing worse than he played late last year. I was hoping that with being drafted and the motivation of camp that he would come out guns blazing.

A little hustle goes a long way though even despite his other deficiencies in the short term. Then again, "intensity" is not an easily teachable intangible if you don't have it in the first place.

Not all is negative though. Last game he actually threw a hit

Old
10-06-2011, 05:43 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdefenestrator View Post

Really digging the Canucks record with Moosehead forwards. Don't forget about Brandon Reid, Marc Chouinard, and Jason King. Wasn't Jimmy Sharrow a Canucks property for a while too?
Indeed. Sawyer Hannay will soon be added to the wasteland that is that list in a couple years too.

Halifax native Darrell Young is our pro scout for the east coast as far as I know. Maybe we have him to thank for some of these gems.

Old
10-06-2011, 06:33 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
If you can get a player who eventually makes an NHL lineup for 20+ games it's a decent pick..

Bernier was also a 1st round pick, not a 3rd rounder..?

What a bizarre career path he has (had? Does failing a tryout mean it's over?)

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Halifax native Darrell Young is our pro scout for the east coast as far as I know. Maybe we have him to thank for some of these gems.
Unfortunately it seems most/all of our domestic amateur scouts are bleh and have been for the past few decades. Kind of sad really.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Rayxor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Maybe he is more of an old-skool player. The kind that use training camp to start getting into shape and don't reach mid-season form until mid-season.

Rayxor is offline   Reply With Quote