HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 4th round (96th overall) - C Jean-Gabriel Pageau

Old
06-26-2011, 02:08 AM
Wham City

vCash: 500
Great pick, I really want this kid to pan out.

JGP FTW!

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:42 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Pierre Dorian said he was his favourite player in the draft but Murray had to be persuaded-as he reportedly had to be persuaded regarding Karlsson.

Karlsson:http://www.ottawacitizen.com/story_p...06909&sponsor=

...Gatineau Olympiques centre Jean-Gabriel Pageau, who director of player personnel Pierre Dorion called “my favourite player of the draft.”

Pageau, who was born in Ottawa, has the five-foot-nine, 163-pound dimensions of another small player from Gatineau, Philadelphia Flyers forward Daniel Briere. Not surprisingly, Briere is Pageau’s role model.
“(Senators general manager Bryan Murray) isn’t the biggest fan of small players,” Dorion said. “But we went to see Saint John against Gatineau in the (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League) final, and Bryan said, ‘Just take the two No. 11’s.’ So one was (the Sea Dogs’ Jonathan) Huberdeau, and the other was Pageau.

“It’s a good motivation,” Pageau said. “You saw a lot of players (drafted) before me, good players, too, but I know I can play with them. I know there are a lot of good players in the first round, second round, third round, but I know I can play with them. So I’m not stressed about it.”

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:04 AM
BigEyedPhish

Screw Murray, Pierre Dorian is KING!!

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Lucky Luke

Here is a nice little kick-ass montage on Jean-Gabriel "Sunshine" Pageau, courtesy of nhldraftvideo

Enjoy!

Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:19 AM
German Senator

Pierre Dorion said in an interview that Pageau is his favourite player of the players they drafted this year.

German Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 10:29 AM
SensFanInBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke View Post
Here is a nice little kick-ass montage on Jean-Gabriel "Sunshine" Pageau, courtesy of nhldraftvideo

Enjoy!

Nice video clips. The kid really has some wheels and nice hands. My dad has season tickets to Gatineau and mentioned him as a their best player. He also raved about CG some years ago -- let's hope Pageau has the same growth

SensFanInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:03 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Such an intriguing pick, and I really like it.

I think this kid is gonna be good.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:04 AM
armani
Guy Likes

vCash: 50
“It’s a good motivation,” Pageau said. “You saw a lot of players (drafted) before me, good players, too, but I know I can play with them. I know there are a lot of good players in the first round, second round, third round, but I know I can play with them. So I’m not stressed about it.”

I like the kid's determination. He has played against Huberdeau, so I think that's one of the players he is referring to in terms of being at the level as them.

He looks to have great wheels and hands. At 163 lbs, he is probably two years away from pro-hockey if he continues to improve. His peak NHL weight is 175 lbs, which is realistic with two years of gradual additions of athletic muscle mass.

I don't know why, but I have a good "top-6" feeling about this pick. Pierre Dorion saw something in him to convince Murray to take this small kid.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Lucky Luke

He is also very good defensively as well and one of the better PK players in the entire Q.
Come out to the BOB next year, you'll see first-hand what he's all about.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:40 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Can't go wrong with this pick.

If he makes it, he could be big.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:42 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke View Post
He is also very good defensively as well and one of the better PK players in the entire Q.
Come out to the BOB next year, you'll see first-hand what he's all about.
I'm curious with that said, if a good comparison for him is Vermette?

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 11:57 AM
Lucky Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
I'm curious with that said, if a good comparison for him is Vermette?
Even though he's pretty quick, I don't think that he has Vermette's top-end speed.
He has better playmaking abilities than Vermette and is much more creative and intelligent with the puck.
Defensively, once fully developed, there is no doubt in my mind that he could be as effective as Vermette.

Old
06-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Manny*

Scary upside.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Mathieu

Anyone know how he looked today ?

Mathieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 03:46 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu View Post
Anyone know how he looked today ?
Fantastic. His skill level was very apparent. One of the best and most noticeable guys on day 1. I don't think a goalie was able to stop him one on one all afternoon.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Mathieu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Fantastic. His skill level was very apparent. One of the best and most noticeable guys on day 1. I don't think a goalie was able to stop him one on one all afternoon.
Haha, good to hear. He's actually good friend of friends of mine, and I played against him when I was younger. I remember, we wasn't playing against "Hull", we were playing against Pageau He was so good, he averaged like 5 points per game, and we maked sure to always have one of our best player to follow him everywhere he was going

Like I said when he was drafted, I'm confident that he will be a top 6 players in 4 or 5 years.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:28 PM
Afro Thunder*

Quote:
The Gatineau Olympiques always seem to be able to develop players that no other teams were able to get. Pageau is not Claude Giroux, another gem from the Olympiques system, but he has a lot of similarities to him. They are both smaller, speedy, intelligent and skilled forwards. Pageau has really stepped up his offensive game this season. He uses intelligence and an intense game mixed with good skills with the puck to make him an offensive force. Pageau has great breakaway speed. We have seen him show it off on many occasions. He is able to separate himself from defenders with a very quick burst. He battles very hard even though he’s only 5’9” and he has pretty good strength for his size. He is one of those smaller forwards that plays much bigger than his listed weight. Having said that, we would still like to see him add a couple of pounds on that frame as it would really help his chances of reaching the NHL. He finds the quiet areas on the ice to score goals and he is good at making himself invisible because he’s always moving his feet in the offensive zone. This can make things very tough for defenseman to track him. He has a very good wrist shot and the explosiveness to break loose in the offensive zone. He is very good off the rush where he gets a chance to show off his creativity. In his own zone, he is willing to sacrifice himself, but sometimes gets himself into trouble by running around a little too much. He loses his man in coverage at times. He will need to make sure to work hard on his play in his own zone going forward. Smaller forwards need to be a little more perfect in their overall game than bigger forwards when it comes to making it to the NHL. We really like Pageau. It’s a shame he is slighly undersized. Give him two inches and 20 pounds and he is a top 10 talent. We still think he could possibly end up being a draft day steal for some NHL team this June.
:OH

Will be going to more Gatineau games this season.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Mathieu

If he stays healty, a 100 pts season is definately not out of reach for him. The kid has everything you would want on a hockey player, minus the size maybe.

Old
06-28-2011, 08:34 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

What separates him from the rest is his ability to use his soft hands while at very fast speed.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

redundant garbage (was going to say that he was possibly dorion's favorite pick according to dorion. already posted though)
he excites me. knowing he outplayed couturier makes the no-couturier sting go away quicker too.

Last edited by Icelevel: 06-28-2011 at 10:20 PM.
Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2011, 10:11 PM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

vCash: 1706
Has Danny Briere potential.

Nabokov20 is offline   Reply With Quote