HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

would zach bogosian fit into calgary's system?

Old
07-07-2011, 06:06 AM
sakicyerass

vCash: 500
would zach bogosian fit into calgary's system?

it would be nice to have a young top 4-5 D-Man with fresh legs.

maybe Hannan could fill reggie's old roles?

sakicyerass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 06:13 AM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
Regehr is significantly better than Hannan; but I could see him being a fit, either way. The Flames could use the defensive depth, and Hannan is just a good guy to have around the team regardless -- he has slowed down a bit, but he's still an efficient defensive player, whether it be as a #4 or a #5 defenseman.

Regarding Bogosian; hard to answer your question. Bogosian is a player with all the physical tools to be an excellent 1st pairing defenseman. He's sizable, mobile, has heavy shot, as well as good offensive instincts. His struggles are due to a somewhat sub par mental game -- he isn't very good positionally, and he isn't very good at reading plays. Of course, those type of things improve with age, but I don't think he has had the proper coaching to overcome these issues thus far as an NHLer. With proper coaching, he could become a Brent Burns type player, or, in other words, a highly valuable asset to any team in the league. Don't think Winnipeg will take the chance of him becoming that for another team, though. They'll hold on to him for another year or two, and take things from there. If he doesn't improve by then, he'll likely be shipped out at that point.

Last edited by JeffMangum: 07-07-2011 at 06:24 AM.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Johnny Hockey

I think he may actually reach or come close to reaching his potential here under Brent sutter but I wouldn't want to give up the assets it would take to get him.

Johnny Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
...I don't think he has had the proper coaching to overcome these issues thus far as an NHLer. With proper coaching, he could become a Brent Burns type player, or, in other words, a highly valuable asset to any team in the league. Don't think Winnipeg will take the chance of him becoming that for another team, though. They'll hold on to him for another year or two, and take things from there. If he doesn't improve by then, he'll likely be shipped out at that point.
Very true. He's still very young and has time to improve and regain status in the league but it's slowly running out.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 12:59 PM
DJ Doublecheese

Feaster said on the radio last week that he isn't bringing in any more D unless they are a bonafide top 4.

DJ Doublecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:21 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Doublecheese View Post
Feaster said on the radio last week that he isn't bringing in any more D unless they are a bonafide top 4.

I think that Bogosian is a top 4 defenseman.

He ran into some conflict with the organization and he also lost some minutes due to Buff comin to town.

I don't think that he will come cheap and the Flames don't have enough assets to move to get him IMO.

showtime8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

It was reported that Bogosian didn't get along with the Thrashers coaching staff, a certain assistant to be specific. I'm sure with the new coaching staff they have next year, he'll get a clean slate and remain in Winnipeg for now.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Bobs your uncle

Just so I'm clear, what exactly is "Calgary's system"?

Bobs your uncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 03:17 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs your uncle View Post
Slow

tfong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:01 PM
sakicyerass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs your uncle View Post
defensive, grinding

sakicyerass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 05:11 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakicyerass View Post
defensive, grinding
Not last year...

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:15 PM
flames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakicyerass View Post
it would be nice to have a young top 4-5 D-Man with fresh legs.

maybe Hannan could fill reggie's old roles?
I would like Karl Alzner. He is a young top 4 defenseman that plays a shutdown role and plays quite physical. He would be a newer, younger, and potential at one point, better version of Regehr. CAPS are vulnerable. They are 2M over as it is and they can only go 10% over I believe (it might be 20%). But if it is 10%, if we offered 4.5M (not that we would) they would have no choice. If we offered 3-4.5M the compensation would be a 1st and 3rd. Alzner was a very high first round pick as it is and well worth the 1st. If we can afford it I would like to see us do it.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 07:53 PM
FlamesFan6612
#timerixonwho?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
I would like Karl Alzner. He is a young top 4 defenseman that plays a shutdown role and plays quite physical. He would be a newer, younger, and potential at one point, better version of Regehr. CAPS are vulnerable. They are 2M over as it is and they can only go 10% over I believe (it might be 20%). But if it is 10%, if we offered 4.5M (not that we would) they would have no choice. If we offered 3-4.5M the compensation would be a 1st and 3rd. Alzner was a very high first round pick as it is and well worth the 1st. If we can afford it I would like to see us do it.
Not this year. Even if we win the cup we can get an all star defender in this draft.

FlamesFan6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Shameus

I'll try to keep this short.

After watching him for the last three years Bogo is an enigma.

Yes he got into it with the coaching staff. He did the same with Anderson's staff though. There was/is a lot of talk of him being home sick and wanting a move closer to his Northern NY home town area. It was wondered if some of his childish actions were in an attempt to force the organization to trade him to a Northeast franchise.

The only person that has gotten through to him was Mathieu Schneider. His rookie season he played really good and with Mathieu as his partner in 09-10 he played great, but Schneider basically was an on ice coach and thinker for him. After Schneider got traded he started to do down hill defensively. He also had problems on the PP and jumping into an offensive play at the wrong times and causing odd man rushes the other way. He had the highest percentage of shots that missed the net to shots taken when compared to any other Thrasher the last two seasons. He has a heavy shot.....but it is a when he gets it on frame kind of thing.

As far as his problems in the defensive third......a lot is like B.Boyle said. He mentally has problems sizing up the game. He gets himself out of position a lot and will leave a man open near the net or cause his partner (or the center) to cover up his mistake which usually causes a defensive breakdown. Ron Hainsey did the best job of covering for him when paired with him the last two years. When he was paired with Oduya, he just didn't have the skill to cover for him. When Enstrom went down and he was paired with Buff...it was comedy defending at its worst. There was talk at one point of moving him to wing and playing him on offense, but he did not do well when the coaching staff moved him there for a few practices so the experiment was never tried in a game.

Could the right staff fix all of this......yes. But the problem is Zach has to be receptive of the coaching he is getting. He has refused to follow the instructions of the last two staffs at time (the reported issues), so if he listens.....who knows.

Hope this all helps

Shameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Xelstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
No chance that would happen. Poti goes on the LTIR, Fehr as well to begin the season, and they would immediately move Fehr and/or Schultz if it meant keeping Alzner.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 01:40 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameus View Post
I'll try to keep this short.

After watching him for the last three years Bogo is an enigma.

Yes he got into it with the coaching staff. He did the same with Anderson's staff though. There was/is a lot of talk of him being home sick and wanting a move closer to his Northern NY home town area. It was wondered if some of his childish actions were in an attempt to force the organization to trade him to a Northeast franchise.

The only person that has gotten through to him was Mathieu Schneider. His rookie season he played really good and with Mathieu as his partner in 09-10 he played great, but Schneider basically was an on ice coach and thinker for him. After Schneider got traded he started to do down hill defensively. He also had problems on the PP and jumping into an offensive play at the wrong times and causing odd man rushes the other way. He had the highest percentage of shots that missed the net to shots taken when compared to any other Thrasher the last two seasons. He has a heavy shot.....but it is a when he gets it on frame kind of thing.

As far as his problems in the defensive third......a lot is like B.Boyle said. He mentally has problems sizing up the game. He gets himself out of position a lot and will leave a man open near the net or cause his partner (or the center) to cover up his mistake which usually causes a defensive breakdown. Ron Hainsey did the best job of covering for him when paired with him the last two years. When he was paired with Oduya, he just didn't have the skill to cover for him. When Enstrom went down and he was paired with Buff...it was comedy defending at its worst. There was talk at one point of moving him to wing and playing him on offense, but he did not do well when the coaching staff moved him there for a few practices so the experiment was never tried in a game.

Could the right staff fix all of this......yes. But the problem is Zach has to be receptive of the coaching he is getting. He has refused to follow the instructions of the last two staffs at time (the reported issues), so if he listens.....who knows.

Hope this all helps
It does help thanks. A resounding NO to Bogosian imo.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:30 PM
DoubleJ96

Winnipeg isn't looking to move Bogosian.

DoubleJ96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1709
Not sure why or how Bogosian would wind up in Calgary given that Winnipeg intends to keep him.

Bogosian's key, Chevy says
Jets GM dispels the trade talk, wants young D-man long-term

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...125063124.html

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2011, 01:26 AM
mondo3

wpg would trade him for iginla

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2011, 12:37 AM