HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

D Darren Dietz - 5th Round 138th overall

Closed Thread

Old
06-25-2011, 03:22 PM
googlymoogly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Good pick up for Montreal. He's much more than just a fighter. Skates well and was the Blades most improved player this season. A right handed shot who has been prone to jump into the rush and make things happen. Good outlet passer and an ok shot.

When he does choose to fight, he's light out. Some of the biggest KO's I've ever seen this year were at the hands of Dietz. Cement hands and not afraid to punch someone's face in.

A real gem here. Congrats.
If he can become an Erskine I'd be happy.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:05 PM
windycity

Quote:
Cement hands and not afraid to punch someone's face in.
How come Mckenzie never says great stuff like that in his scouting reports?

Interesting pick

Old
06-25-2011, 07:38 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by didjuicythat View Post
His numbers (8-19-27, +17 in 68 GP) are interesting for a 17-year old D playing a secondary role on a strong WHL team. In terms of the PP ice time, I'd guess he played mostly on the 2nd unit. Most 1st unit minutes must have been played by Colorado draftee Stefan Elliott and 1st rounder Duncan Siemens. Dietz managed to score 8 goals nonetheless on the season, that's 3 more than Siemens in 4 less GP. Intriguing offensive potential for sure... he seems to play a gritty game too.
Hardly saw much PP time. When he did, it was on the second unit...and that only really happened in the second half of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
With Stefan Elliott moving on to the AHL he might get more icetime and PP time.
Yep, could potentially play on the top unit.

Him, along with Connor Cox, Duncan Siemens and Dalton Thrower will likely be the top 4 offensive defenders, production wise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
If he can become an Erskine I'd be happy.
Much different player than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
How come Mckenzie never says great stuff like that in his scouting reports?

Interesting pick
Thanks. Haha. I do my best.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:55 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Can you explain something to me. I don't understand how you would plan for a draft.

For example, we are picking at 17. I'm sure there were some players in 1-16 that TT really liked and would consider PG to move up if the price was right.

But how many of those players, would he actually have watched? I mean some players are obviously unattainable like Hopkins. But don't you have a responsibility to watch guys 5-15 at least once even if you aren't likely to be able to take them?

Then don't you also want to be prepared if someone offers you a 1st and a 3rd for your 17th pick, to take their 22nd? So don't you need to also watch guys from 15-30?

I mean, that's like 25 guys that you should see in the first round. Now I can't imagine planning for other rounds.
Habs have their own list. They may use CSS and whatever is out there as a tool but they don't wait till this gets out to have their own opinion. So they make their own list and as the year progresses, their list shrinks. So they absolutely has to see everybody in case deals happen, but as the year progresses, you concentrate your efforts on the most likely of scenarios. So Timmins can't see everybody, relies on his local scouts to know if it's worth it or not. Again, I don't remember one year when Timmins said that every pick he made was in his top 50. Knowing Timmins a little, like tons of people in here, we KNOW that Sullivan was in his top 50. And there's a guy we picked in the 7th round. So from his own viewings to his scouts viewings, he's able fairly quickly, I'd say by midseason, to reduce his list so that his second viewings are made by guys on list before they make the final one at the end of the year. Mind you, they surely have to review it based on playoffs performance and all, he surely has to rely on his scouts, but I just find impossible that Timmins chooses a guy he never saw. Could have happened though. We know that the Fischer pick was made mostly because of our scout down there....That's well documented that the Fischer's pick was out scout making tons of pressure for us to pick him. But I'm pretty sure Timmins made the trip to see him.

Old
06-25-2011, 09:06 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Good pick up for Montreal. He's much more than just a fighter. Skates well and was the Blades most improved player this season. A right handed shot who has been prone to jump into the rush and make things happen. Good outlet passer and an ok shot.

When he does choose to fight, he's light out. Some of the biggest KO's I've ever seen this year were at the hands of Dietz. Cement hands and not afraid to punch someone's face in.

Good to hear we got someone that can fight, plus he's now the Habs youngest prospect, so hopefully he can fill out over the next couple years. I haven't had the chance to see him and I didn't follow the dub at all this past season, but I had heard he looked good in the playoffs although stats can be misleading when you play for top notch team.

I see that he racked up some decent pims as a 16 year old for Lethbridge Y's Men Hurricanes, we could use some toughness from our D prospects so I'm interested to see how he progresses.

Old
06-25-2011, 11:54 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:

I knew Renegade would make an appearance here. I was shocked, like SHOCKED... that no one took Brent Benson... It actually blows my mind

Old
06-26-2011, 12:30 AM
bleuetbio

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
I knew Renegade would make an appearance here. I was shocked, like SHOCKED... that no one took Brent Benson... It actually blows my mind
There's always a top 60-75 player undrafted. For Dietz, I dont know him really well I will drink the words of Renegade that time. Im note sure on this one, but should we pick a guy like Roach before this Dietz?

Old
06-26-2011, 02:42 PM
Roulin

Lots to like about this pick. July 93 birthday, wide range of skills, big year to year improvement. Mobility and toughness already covers a lot of what you look for in a depth defenceman. Hopefully he can think the game too.

Thanks for your input, Renegade! Do you (or anyone else) know if he has spent much time killing penalties for the Blades?

Old
06-26-2011, 02:51 PM
overlords
Hfboards

He's got about 4 fights on youtube. One of which he won. Don't know the other guys he fought well enough to form an opinion on his fighting, but edmundson looked to feed him good on one of them.

Old
06-26-2011, 06:44 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Sounds like a Mara. Good pick if he turns into a Mara.

Old
06-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Fozz

Interesting that he only had 4 points in his first 26 games or so. Later in the season, he had a very interesting stretch with 22 points in about the same number of games. Iím guessing he responded well to increased responsibilities and quality ice time.

Old
06-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Interesting that he only had 4 points in his first 26 games or so. Later in the season, he had a very interesting stretch with 22 points in about the same number of games. Iím guessing he responded well to increased responsibilities and quality ice time.
That's very telling. Also, i think that Gauthier alluded to the fact that he got better and better as the year went along. In a lot of these 2-7 round picks, it's all about having the foresight about who will be the better player in a year or two down the road. There were probably d-men with more nhl ready bodies or better numbers, but the scouting staff see a guy that is getting better and better. I got the impression that Gauthier thought all the guys he picked had similar seasons, where they improved leaps and bounds from beginning to end.

Old
06-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
That's very telling. Also, i think that Gauthier alluded to the fact that he got better and better as the year went along. In a lot of these 2-7 round picks, it's all about having the foresight about who will be the better player in a year or two down the road. There were probably d-men with more nhl ready bodies or better numbers, but the scouting staff see a guy that is getting better and better. I got the impression that Gauthier thought all the guys he picked had similar seasons, where they improved leaps and bounds from beginning to end.
That's always been a very important factor for Timmins in player eval as well.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:39 AM
Steve Shutt
Don't Poke the Bear

Dietz starting to heat up. He was named 1st star this week in Catching the Torch:

http://www.allhabs.net/canadiens-pro...-dietz-excels/

He was also highlighted in this Saskatoon newspaper article.

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports...medium=twitter

Habs need to sign him by May 31st or he goes back into the draft. I'd be surprised if MB doesn't seal the deal.

Old
02-27-2013, 09:56 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Dietz's season has been/is being discussed in the CHL prospects sticky.

Closed Thread