Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Pool gets deeper......

Old
06-25-2011, 12:34 PM
North Metro Peewees

vCash: 500
The Pool gets deeper......

No matter what you may think about trading Burns, drafting Lucia, Brolin etc. you have to be extremely impressed with the prospect pool for the Wild right now. It should be interesting how many of these players are able to reach full potential.

Here are my rankings as of right now:

1) Granlund-C
2) Coyle-RW
3) Larsson-RW
4) Scandella-D
5) Bulmer-RW
6) Hackett-G
7) Zucker-LW
8) Wellman-C
9) Brolin-D
10) Kuemper-G
11) Cuma-D
12) Gillies-LW
13) Phillips-C
14) Gustafson-G
15) Prosser-D
16) Lucia-LW
17) Almond-C
18) Falk-D
19) Haula-C
20) MacMillan-RW

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:13 PM
Wild Thing

I don't see anything to be "extremely" impressed about. Looks like a pretty average prospect depth chart, maybe middle of the road (at best) compared to the rest of the league. Nothing about that list of players that looks better than any other NHL team, unless I'm missing something.

Wild Thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:14 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

At least we're not on the bottom anymore!

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Wildlife

It may not be the best prospect pool in the league, but it's certainly much better than a few years ago.

Wildlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Definitely better. Not great yet, but better.

And I would put Zucker higher, probably around 3.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:20 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Thing View Post
I don't see anything to be "extremely" impressed about. Looks like a pretty average prospect depth chart, maybe middle of the road (at best) compared to the rest of the league. Nothing about that list of players that looks better than any other NHL team, unless I'm missing something.
We are one of 6 teams to have 2 players in HF's top-20 prospects. That would put the other 24 teams to have a combined 8.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:21 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
No way is Brodin worth less than Wellman. C'mon you guys.

But that is a fantastic list when considering where we were. It'll be interesting to hear HF's take on it in their next prospect rankings.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:28 PM
nickschultzfan

I don't know how you can't be extremely impressed with the revamp of the prospect pool.

Don't people remember the days when DR would come out of the draft with a forward, a dman, 3-4 grinders, and an enforcer? God, they were AWFUL. We would sit around PRAYING that our 1st round pick didn't bust. And when he did, we were set back by an entire year!

Now, jesus, we have 6-10 guys that are projected to be top-6 forwards or top-4 Dmen, not to mention quality goaltending depth down the system. Plus some decent role players fill by draft or free agency.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:31 PM
BLBarmada

Thing are looking uP.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:35 PM
D U M B A
The Disaster March

You'd think we'd be in at least in the middle of all the teams because we have two of the top 20 prospects.

D U M B A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:37 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Brodin, Phillips anyone?

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:37 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I think between Hackett (one of the top goaltenders in the AHL), Kuemper (one of the top goaltenders in the CHL), Gustaffson (solid goaltender in Sweden), Endras (good goaltender in Germany) and now Michalek, our goaltending is pretty much insane. I mean...seriously?

Old
06-25-2011, 01:56 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

With the new influx of prospects league-wide, who knows where the Wild's will be in relative terms to the rest of the NHL. May not have two in the top 20 anymore. But still, I consider Granlund to be one of the best players not in the NHL and that's including the 2011 draft... Not many franchises can boast that.

The team's pool just took a drastic leep. We'll see how it pans out and where venues like HF rank it. Too bad they needed to move one of their best players to supplement it.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:13 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM Squirts View Post
you have to be extremely impressed with the prospect pool for the Wild right now.
No, you don't "have to be" impressed. It's better than it's been in the past 4-5 years, but it's come at a tremendous cost and still lacks high-end potential and goal scoring (the two most important and rarest aspects, BTW). It should be better at this point for three playoff misses and for how much NHL talent this team has shed in that time. That's what makes it bittersweet at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
We are one of 6 teams to have 2 players in HF's top-20 prospects. That would put the other 24 teams to have a combined 8.
I like Coyle, but to me his top-20 ranking was way too high. That was the first name to me that popped out of place in the top-20 when the list came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
I think between Hackett (one of the top goaltenders in the AHL), Kuemper (one of the top goaltenders in the CHL), Gustaffson (solid goaltender in Sweden), Endras (good goaltender in Germany) and now Michalek, our goaltending is pretty much insane. I mean...seriously?
Endras is terrible. He got hyped up because of an outstanding tournament. Other than that he's shown nothing to be excited about. I like the goalie depth, but as we've seen with Harding, even the best prospects may not be good enough. You just wait and hope at least one pans out.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:33 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Endras also plays in Germany. I want to see what he can do over here.

And what cost is that? As shown, quantity =/= quality.

Would you want two Irmens over a Weber? Two Sallinens over a Clutterbuck?

Old
06-25-2011, 03:24 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Endras also plays in Germany. I want to see what he can do over here.

And what cost is that? As shown, quantity =/= quality.
He has not been good there. Even the German fans have said that. He's consistently posted some of the worst numbers in their league.

Cost? It's called much NHL talent leaving as we continue to lose, some for nothing in return.

Old
06-25-2011, 03:35 PM
GophersGoneWild
Was MN_Hockey_in_AZ

Quote:
I just moved back here after spending 4 years in AZ, so I apologize if this is a dumb question, but with the system depth in goalies, is there any chance Backstrom could get traded this year to help free up some cap space? I continued to follow the team at a distance while living in Arizona, but not on a nightly basis to know if he's still the elite goalie he was a few years ago. The games I saw him in he was still very good but not elite IMO, so maybe now is the time to trade him before his value drops and try to go with a combo of Hackett and a veteran UFA (Roli to finish his career?). If we're going with more of a youth movement next year, why spend $6M on a goalie? Use that money elsewhere.

GophersGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:58 PM
BLBarmada

While I would love to lose backstrom he has a NTC and his 6M contract is untradeable add to the fact that hes awful in shootouts. He's pretty much ours.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:35 PM
GophersGoneWild
Was MN_Hockey_in_AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLjunior View Post
While I would love to lose backstrom he has a NTC and his 6M contract is untradeable add to the fact that hes awful in shootouts. He's pretty much ours.
Forgot about the NTC. In my opinion that's more of a roadblock than his salary. It's not like he's signed to that amount for the next 6 years. Just this year and next. Hell, Brian freaking Campbell's ridiculous salary got moved (albeit for another bad contract)...anything is possible!

GophersGoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:38 PM
BLBarmada

Good to see that you're optimistic. I would love to see what hackett can do at this level.

Old
06-25-2011, 07:12 PM
saywut

I feel much the same as SoH regarding our goaltending depth in that its really overblown. Not sold on Kuemper with his age/team he played on this past season, Michalek's 4 years from turning pro, Gustafsson may never come over, while Endras appears to prefer Europe to the AHL, and aside from the WHC in 2010, he's been fairly underwhelming statistically. I do like Matt Hackett, but he's not a better prospect than Josh Harding was, and now a couple injuries later Josh Harding's future in this league is in question.

I'd look at a team like LA for an example of good goaltending depth. Quick, Bernier both young with #1 upside in the NHL, with Jones/Zatkoff showing promise in Manchester.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 07:19 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Goaltenders are hard to predict. I mean who thought Khudobin would be a decent backup?

Old
06-25-2011, 07:23 PM
BigT2002

If the hawks can move Campbell and his salary, we can move Backstrom.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 09:16 PM
North Metro Peewees

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
No, you don't "have to be" impressed. It's better than it's been in the past 4-5 years, but it's come at a tremendous cost and still lacks high-end potential and goal scoring (the two most important and rarest aspects, BTW). It should be better at this point for three playoff misses and for how much NHL talent this team has shed in that time. That's what makes it bittersweet at this point.

I like Coyle, but to me his top-20 ranking was way too high. That was the first name to me that popped out of place in the top-20 when the list came out.

Endras is terrible. He got hyped up because of an outstanding tournament. Other than that he's shown nothing to be excited about. I like the goalie depth, but as we've seen with Harding, even the best prospects may not be good enough. You just wait and hope at least one pans out.
I disagree with that assessment; Granlund, Larsson, Bulmer and Zucker have goal scoring potential in the 25-35 goal range. Sounds like you're looking for a generational talent and honestly there aren't many out there period.

Hell the Blackhawks and Bruins won the past two cups without having that type of scoring talent. Sorry, but the 40 goal scorer is dinosaur like in the new NHL.

Show me another NHL team that expects to go almost 20 deep with players they expect to have NHL careers. I'm not saying everyone on my list will, I am saying somewhere between 14-18 of the players I mentioned should have some kind of NHL career besides a cup of coffee.

As for Charlie Coyle I'm going by what I have seen with my own eyes catching some BU games and watching the World Jrs. THN, TSN, Pierre McGuire all have them high as far as prospects go. He was dominant playing for Team USA.

Last edited by North Metro Peewees: 06-25-2011 at 09:22 PM.
North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 10:40 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
I disagree with that assessment; Granlund, Larsson, Bulmer and Zucker have goal scoring potential in the 25-35 goal range. Sounds like you're looking for a generational talent and honestly there aren't many out there period.
I guess you can disagree all you want but outside of Zucker's brief time at Denver none of those players have shown high-end goal scoring prowess. Granlund has scored just 21 goals in 82 regular season games, and he doesn't have the playing style of as goal scorer. Colton Gillies outscored Brett Bulmer in their respective pre-draft and post-draft seasons. That's not exactly a positive sign for Bulmer. Johan Larsson has never been projected as a great offensive talent, and he hasn't shown it yet either. And finally Zucker wasn't considered an offensive juggernaut pre-draft and hasn't been an offensive guy in World Junior play. He just has his great at Denver. So there you have it. Not a great outlook for becoming 25-35 goal NHLers. We have just two, Granlund and Coyle, who have a favorable outlook to be high-end guys at all, and neither have shown themselves to be big goal scorers. They're more of the Havlat mold of offensive production, and as we've seen, Havlats do not change a a team on their own. And you don't need generational talent to do that, just players that are a step above, like Gaborik was here.

Quote:
Hell the Blackhawks and Bruins won the past two cups without having that type of scoring talent. Sorry, but the 40 goal scorer is dinosaur like in the new NHL.
The Blackhawks did. Even with some player with shortened seasons they've had back-to-back years of four 24+ goal scorers on their roster. They have 4 guys that can pot 30+ any given year.

The Bruins win was a rare breed. They may have won this time without the big scorers, but I'll continue to prefer going in with the high-end guys up front.

Quote:
Show me another NHL team that expects to go almost 20 deep with players they expect to have NHL careers. I'm not saying everyone on my list will, I am saying somewhere between 14-18 of the players I mentioned should have some kind of NHL career besides a cup of coffee.
I would show you more teams, but I don't want to post 29 URLs. The point is that basically every NHL team could say that about their top-20.