HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

6th Round - Pick #176 - Petr Placek, F, Hotchkiss (USHS - CT)

Old
06-25-2011, 12:41 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
6th Round - Pick #176 - Petr Placek, F, Hotchkiss (USHS - CT)

RT @DNFlyers: With the 176th pick, the Flyers have taken Peter Placek from Hotchkiss School in Connecticut.

He will be going to Harvard this fall

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospect...lastLeagueAbbr
  • Hotchkiss School, HIGH-CT
  • Final Rank: Midterm Rank: 54
  • Position: Right Wing
  • Shoots: Right
  • Height: 6' 4"
  • Weight: 210
  • Born: December 28, 1992
  • Born in: Slany, CZE
  • Drafted: PHI (6th Round / 176th Overall)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 06-25-2011 at 01:02 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:58 PM
kingjdv

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to kingjdv
Found this...

http://bruins2011draftwatch.blogspot...tr-placek.html

kingjdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjdv View Post
I was going to post that too, but it's from pre-season.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 12:59 PM
El Emperor

Harvard? He can join Powe as the Ivy league line.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2539
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhldraft/...aftyear%3d2011

Quote:
Committed to Harvard for next season, Placek is one of the harder prospects to read given the level of prep hockey he's playing at. He's barely tested by opponents and not complemented by talent that would show his play-making. The Czech native is a late-'92 birthday, so he'll get no shot at playing for his national team at the under-18s.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I like it. Not bad for a 6th round pick.

Quote:
Petr Placek has taken a somewhat unconventional route in hockey for a Czech-born player by opting to play US high school hockey, but it has paid off. The 6-foot-4, 210-pound forward, has been injured for the better part of this season, racking up 8 goals and 17 points through 16 games. Last year, Placek put up an impressive 16 goals and 32 points in 24 games, which put him 2nd overall in scoring on his club. And, after bulking up and improving his skating, the blossoming winger has found himself on the radar for the upcoming 2011 NHL Entry Draft. The 18-year-old is currently ranked 54th overall among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting. He has some raw offensive ability, along with intriguing size that may just be too good to pass up on, and reminds me a little of a young Jason Arnott. Placek’s reach, hockey sense and shot, may be his best attributes, but he also is an excellent teammate that comes to the rink ready to work. He played with the Kladno U18 club when he was just 14, potting 10 goals and 22 points in 46 games. The budding star is committed to the University of Harvard for the 2011-12 season, proving the kid has more than just lights out hockey IQ.
http://dansallows.com/player-profile-petr-placek/

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:00 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

http://dansallows.com/player-profile-petr-placek/

^^ too funny.... I posted I'd say 20seconds after you.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:02 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I wonder who we had scouting in Hotchkiss?

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:04 PM
mirimon

He was ranked pretty high in the Central Scouting Rankings in midterm (54) but then completely fell off. Guess it's the injury thing.

Also, if he weighs 210 pounds now, he must really have put on quite a lot of weight the last year. In this article:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=523278

they mention him and lists him at 175 pounds. That was a year ago.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:04 PM
El Emperor

Looks like besides Cousins, the Flyers are drafting big guys... think the round 2 embarrassment inspired them?

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:08 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Was that 54th of NA skaters? If so wow.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:11 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
I wonder who we had scouting in Hotchkiss?
Could be John Riley (scout). I'm pretty sure he has connections in Connecticut.

Chris Pryor probably does some scouting there, too.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:21 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Yeah. Don't know how much to put into that though.

Old
06-25-2011, 01:23 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Yes.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=67005

North American Skaters Midterm Rankings

Old
06-25-2011, 01:29 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Injured or not, I don't understand how you can go from 54th to unranked in half a year. I can see if he had say an amputation or something but that is a huge drop. He was even ahead of Clendening

Old
06-25-2011, 09:37 PM
Doyle

Sixth Round – #176 Overall

Philadelphia went with a big, right-handed shooting right winger just out of high school with their next selection. At 6′ 4″ and 210-pounds, Czech Republic-native Petr Placek is something of a project.

Placek scored seven goals and racked up 13 points while picking up 10 PIMs in eight games for Hotchkiss High School, a prep school in Connecticut. Due to his low number of games played, he was rated “Limited Viewing” in CSB’s final rankings.

He has committed to playing at Harvard this fall, taking a route that should allow the Flyers to watch his development very closely over the next few years – much the same way they did with current winger James van Riemsdyk during his time at the University of New Hampshire.

“He’s a projection right now,” Holmgren said via the club’s official site. “Another big kid with good skill and is a decent skater right now. When you draft a guy and you know he’s going to college, you get all of those years to watch him.”

http://nhlhotstove.com/flyers-2011-n...draft-roundup/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 09:45 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Bill Meltzer has a take on this selection:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...rapup/45/36668

Quote:
Of all the Flyers' picks this year, the hardest one to get any read on is Petr Placek. This is a straight-out project pick, but as a sixth-rounder, why not?

When I saw that the 19-year-old Czech forward was playing his hockey in a U.S. prep school, the immediate response was to wonder why. That's a very uncommon route for a Czech player to take -- the better prospects usually try to play Canadian major junior hockey or else stay at home and try to break into the Extraliga as teenagers. Then I saw that Placek has been accepted to Harvard, and I realized that he was thinking about his education at least as much as hockey when he opted to come over.

Therefore, it's a pretty safe bet that Placek is an exceptionally bright and mature kid. But is he a bonafide NHL prospect?

Well, you have to be intrigued with Placek's size. He's 6-foot-4 and 210 pounds. On top of that, he's said to be a plus-skater who fits the athletic profile of an NHL player (has skills with the puck, is well-conditioned, etc.).

It is also a plus that, before coming over to the US, Placek was playing at the top Czech J18 level at age 15 for the legendary HC Kladno program. He didn't do especially well, but just the fact that he was playing on a fast-track level at that stage suggests that there is some skill there as well as size. That said, the fact that he didn't utterly shred the competition at the U.S. high school level -- at least in part due to injury -- also suggests that his potential is largely untapped.

The big advantage in drafting college-bound players is that the NHL team holds onto his rights for the duration of his NCAA career. As such, the Flyers will have up to four years to sit back and watch Placek to see if his very raw game evolves into a pro caliber one.

Old
06-26-2011, 11:47 AM
runkle

http://www.csnphilly.com/06/26/11/bG...617&feedID=695

Quote:
“I got picked by Philadelphia and am very happy about it,” Placek said. “I had friends there, saw a Flyers game there a year ago, loved the city, loved the cheesesteaks. Big difference in the ones there than at school.

“In the end, it doesn’t really matter that much, the difference between a second-round pick and a sixth-round pick. If you got drafted at all, that means you should have the skills and now it’s what I do with the opportunity.”

Four years ago, Damon White, the coach at The Hotchkiss School in Lakeville, Conn. received an email out of the blue and out of Rakovnik, Czech Republic from a 15-year old son of (shoe) shopkeepers. The kid had determined largely out of his own research that Hotchkiss had the best combination of academics and athletics. So could he come to study and play hockey there please?

“He was 6-3, about 185 pounds then and had good SATs,” White said. “We took him.”

Now Placek is on his way to Harvard, and eventually, White is convinced, to the Flyers.

“A power forward with a great shot, good speed, has grown to 6-4, 210 and has learned to play a physical game,” White said. “Needs to work on his flexibility and get bigger and stronger and learn to play defense, which he will at Harvard.

“He’s very bright, incredibly motivated. The Flyers got an absolute gem in the sixth round,”

runkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2011, 01:34 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

So he's 6-4 210, mature enough at 15 to see that a US prep school is the way to go, "increadably motivated", smart enough for Harvard, and is a guy we'll have the rights to for 4 years. The perfect kind of guy to grab in the 6th round if you ask me.

Old
06-26-2011, 05:10 PM
mirimon

Quote:
So he's 6-4 210, mature enough at 15 to see that a US prep school is the way to go, "increadably motivated", smart enough for Harvard, and is a guy we'll have the rights to for 4 years. The perfect kind of guy to grab in the 6th round if you ask me.
I haven't bothered to look this up, but wasn't there quite a few draft picks this year who are set to go to one University or other? Maybe teams have decided that those extra years to develop a prospect are pretty useful.

I really hope this turns out to be a steal for us. What little I've read about him so far, he sounds like a great kid and if fills out a little more and turns into a true power forward, that would be great.

Old
06-27-2011, 09:41 AM
kicksave27

Wow, i'm impressed with the kid's maturity. Not sure if he'll turn out to be a good hockey player, but he's definitely not a hockey brat who's thinks he's god's gift to hockey like some do.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote