HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Weekend Recap: The Reform Begins

Old
06-25-2011, 01:42 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 500
Draft Weekend Recap: The Reform Begins

Draft Choices
PickPlayerPositionNationality10-11 Team
6thMika ZibanejadCSWEDjurgarden (SEL D2)
21st Stefan NoesenRWUSAPlymouth (OHL)
24th Matthew PuempelLWCANPeterborough (OHL)
61stShane PrinceLWUSAOttawa (OHL)
96thJean-Gabriel PageauCCANGatineau (QMJHL)
126thFredrik ClaessonDSWEDjurgarden Jr. (SEL JR)
156thDarren KramerCCANSpokane (WHL)
170thMatt McCormickLWUSASioux City (USHL)
186thJordan FransooDCANBrandon (WHL)
204thRyan DzingelCUSALincoln (USHL)

Trades
TeamAcquiresTeamAcquires
DET 1st (24)OTT 2nd (35), CHI 2nd (48)
Nikita FilatovOTT 3rd (66)

The future looks bright, welcome to the Sens, guys! Thanks Bryan Murray and co. for providing Sens faithful with an exciting weekend!

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Karlstrobe
"Lets Win It All"

A bit too early to tell but already looking like the best draft the Sens have ever had. If not close 2nd because we've got a lot of quality players going forward. So excited for next year, thank you BM, TM, and PD!

Karlstrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:50 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Oh no, two DZs in the organization how will we tell them apart.

aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:53 PM
BigEyedPhish

ubsurd draft!

WOOOOOOOOO

BigEyedPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

I couldn't be happier.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:04 PM
Dr.Sens(e)

Despite my anxiety about passing on Couturier - it's not like it's hard to like the Persian Prince - I am quite pleased. Definitely was feeling down about it after the Noesen pick (who I was loving for #35), but came around pretty quickly with the Puempel move. I had been pimping him for months, so part of it was my own self-indulgence, but I do love that pick.

For both Noesen and Puempel you are talking about guys who were both clearly their team's best offensive player as 17-18 year olds, and both combine that with a willingness to go to the dirty areas.

Prince was really solid value in the late 2nd, and nice homage to the hometown faithful, as was the swing for the fences so early with Pageau (Hoffman 2.0). Prince is actually a pretty feisty guy, so I could see him turning into a bit of a Bergeron / Marchand type. He has the potential anyway.

Of course, the big swing was going for Filitov, which everyone is obviously pleased about. It's not often you get to land such mercurial talent with a 3rd round pick who still should have his best hockey in front of him. He's not with out his risks and baggage, but a fresh start and Gonchar's tutelage might be enough to get him on track. That, and being on a team that definitely has a need for a couple of top 6 forwards. He'll get a long look this October, I suspect.

I also like the character of some of those late round picks. A lot of bangers, tough hombres and buzzsaws to round out our depth. Dzingel is also a very talented player, so that was a terrific value pick as well.

If we had taken Couturier, I'd probably be saying A+, but I also respect our scouts enough that it would be silly to be too upset about it. The Persian Prince was always the rogue pick a number of people suspected might come to bare and given the top 5 scenario the Sens most wanted to avoid, actually occured, I have to give them credit for still coming out with a ridiculous amount of offensive talent.

It's actually the most offensive potential we've ever accumulated in any single draft, when you factor in Filatov. How can we not be excited about that?

Dr.Sens(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:06 PM
INurHome

I was surprise with the Stefan Noesen pick (as most were) but I immediately thought of the trade in '08 to move up two spots over Boston and Anaheim to grab EK.
Xavier Ouellet (FRA) and Tomas Jurco for Puempel. I like Puemple over Jurco but I know nothing about Ouellet.
Is Shane Prince eligible to play as an over-ager this year or will he be off to Bingo?

INurHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:26 PM
PatrickEaves
We Lost

The only disappointing thing about this draft is the fact we didn't get an unknown highly skilled Swede that no one had ever heard of.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:29 PM
fuzzay

Send a message via MSN to fuzzay
I love the moves Murray has made in the last 24 hours. I'm big on Puempel.

fuzzay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Lexicon Devil

I'm disappointed we couldn't land Strome, who the scouting staff obviously wanted, but after that the rest of it looks great. In all probability we will get at least two top-6 forwards from this group (including Filatov), and possibly more.

Lexicon Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by INurHome View Post
I was surprise with the Stefan Noesen pick (as most were) but I immediately thought of the trade in '08 to move up two spots over Boston and Anaheim to grab EK.
Xavier Ouellet (FRA) and Tomas Jurco for Puempel. I like Puemple over Jurco but I know nothing about Ouellet.
Is Shane Prince eligible to play as an over-ager this year or will he be off to Bingo?
This is Shane Prince's draft year. He will be playing for Ottawa this year. He was a late birthday, so there is at least one more year of him being a regular player before he would become an overager. He'll be in the O this year.

Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:43 PM
Icelevel
Relentless

Draft Rating: A

i would have been happy with the first 5 + filatov. all have top 6 potential, and that's what we needed. not sure how filatov will do(actually not optimistic), but for the 66th pick it's a good risk.

Obviously disappointed when NY took Strome then got excited when couturier fell, but then a little disappointed when we passed on him. Right now, i'm thinking it was probably the right decision. Zibanejad does things at a higher speed than Couturier and probably will fit into Maclean's system better.

I'd really like to see filatov in the A with KK, but can't see him being too thrilled about that. Zibanejad probably will benefit from either situation in sweden or ottawa.

the last picks, 6-10, are gravy.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:59 PM
SENSational Sens Fan

Best draft ever!

SENSational Sens Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:00 PM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Ottawa wins draft...

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:21 PM
SensFan2010

Overall I'm pretty happy with this draft. Getting Filatov for peanuts and trading up to get Puempel were my favorite moves, and I'm quite high on Prince and Noesen too. Only dissappointment was missing out on Strome, as I think our scouting staff wanted him and he was my favorite player in this draft, but I'm happy we took Zibanejad over Couturier since Zibanejad has potential to be better player down the line and is better fit in MacLean's system.

Pageau looks like good player with very high potential, but I don't really know what to think of those other late-round picks like Kramer or McCormick, especially Kramer. Immediately thought that was wasted pick, but I'll give him chance to show what he can do. Those picks could have been used on guys with top-6 potential, like Sorensen, Petersson and Pageau type players.

SensFan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:22 PM
Operation Hot Mother

I'm a bit apprehensive that Zibby seemed to be a draft for need instead of BPA (Dorion's interview gives off this vibe). Not at all worried about Coutourier since our scouts decided that Zibby was the better player, but I'm worried that we'll see Hamilton/Murphy turn into top pairing guys a couple of years down the road while Zibby ends up less valuable.

Otherwise I'm ecstatic with the picks, especially the way that they felt so strongly about Noesen that they took him despite the much more highly-touted Puempel still being on the board. That tells me that our scouts thought Noesen is going to be something really worthwhile (remember, Silfverberg was also taken about 30 picks too early).

B+ ratings from me, only because of the unfortunate circumstances surrounding the 6th overall pick. Hopefully karma magically comes into existence and makes the avs/panthers/isles pay for their shameful tanking.

Operation Hot Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:27 PM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation Hot Mother View Post
I'm a bit apprehensive that Zibby seemed to be a draft for need instead of BPA (Dorion's interview gives off this vibe). Not at all worried about Coutourier since our scouts decided that Zibby was the better player, but I'm worried that we'll see Hamilton/Murphy turn into top pairing guys a couple of years down the road while Zibby ends up less valuable.

Otherwise I'm ecstatic with the picks, especially the way that they felt so strongly about Noesen that they took him despite the much more highly-touted Puempel still being on the board. That tells me that our scouts thought Noesen is going to be something really worthwhile (remember, Silfverberg was also taken about 30 picks too early).

B+ ratings from me, only because of the unfortunate circumstances surrounding the 6th overall pick. Hopefully karma magically comes into existence and makes the avs/panthers/isles pay for their shameful tanking.
Well obviously Zbad/Couts would be better than hamilton/Murphy.. not because of team needs at all because of the skill and they were both really good offensivly. Pierre Dorion was not drafting need with the first pick he said if larsson was there @6 they would have picked him. We also need Offence (Needs=Puempel, Noesen)

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:31 PM
Icelevel
Relentless

http://bleacherREMOVETHISPARTreport.com/articles/747844-nhl-draft-2011-grades-winners-and-losers-from-day-1

Grading the first round picks. (ottawa gets all wins!)

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:34 PM
Dick Whitman

Ottawa has done a great job to re-invigorate their fanbase with the two trades and Zibanejad, imo. Attendance will be up even if we sign no impact free agents.

Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Anca18

vCash: 1850
Just plain... #WINNING.

Anca18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Operation Hot Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonSpezza19 View Post
Well obviously Zbad/Couts would be better than hamilton/Murphy.. not because of team needs at all because of the skill and they were both really good offensivly. Pierre Dorion was not drafting need with the first pick he said if larsson was there @6 they would have picked him. We also need Offence (Needs=Puempel, Noesen)
Larsson was a no-brainer pick at 6 regardless of who they were initially planning on drafting. The difference between Hamilton and Zibanejad isn't as great, and they could have been swayed by the need for a forward.

Dorion interview from team1200. Choice quotes:

"I'm not saying we passed some defensemen, but there were still good defensemen at the top of the draft, but we felt that with our 3 guys, Erik, Cowen, Rundblad, Wiercioch, and local product Mark Borowieki... we feel that all those guys were going to play for us, that it was time to maybe focus our attention to drafting more forwards."

"Here our focus was more on forwards (referring to first round). Now defense, forwards, it's not gonna matter at this point."

Basically, nothing that can be proven unless you can actually look at the sens' draft rankings, but I'd be much more comfortable with the Zibanejad pick if I hadn't heard this interview.

Operation Hot Mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:11 PM
Iamok
#Panic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation Hot Mother View Post
Larsson was a no-brainer pick at 6 regardless of who they were initially planning on drafting. The difference between Hamilton and Zibanejad isn't as great, and they could have been swayed by the need for a forward.

Dorion interview from team1200. Choice quotes:

"I'm not saying we passed some defensemen, but there were still good defensemen at the top of the draft, but we felt that with our 3 guys, Erik, Cowen, Rundblad, Wiercioch, and local product Mark Borowieki... we feel that all those guys were going to play for us, that it was time to maybe focus our attention to drafting more forwards."

"Here our focus was more on forwards (referring to first round). Now defense, forwards, it's not gonna matter at this point."

Basically, nothing that can be proven unless you can actually look at the sens' draft rankings, but I'd be much more comfortable with the Zibanejad pick if I hadn't heard this interview.
You're thinking too much about this. The fact is we went with MZ, and he was the best choice for this team. For the first time in what feels like ages we actually have forward prospects to be proud of.

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote