Dallas Stars Fan

vCash: 500
Oh darn and I was just starting to like the Ducks

Ampersand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:44 PM
KiedisA

Feeling positive about this.. We are a winning side in that conference and yet it has got the likes of Detroit and Chicago to keep us hungry for success every years..

But do you think this will have any effect on the longer home stands? Would be nice to visit Dallas again in the near future but this might mean the team is travelling the East more often..

KiedisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiedisA View Post
Would be nice to visit Dallas again in the near future but this might mean the team is travelling the East more often..
What do you mean?

We'll probably knock out the games in California with one go. Same with the 3 games against the Western Canadian team. Phoenix will be random.

Obviously we'll play in the East coast more than the West for the simple fact that there's more teams over there that aren't in our 'conference.'

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 10:53 PM
Shellz

It was fun while it lasted. Good luck

Shellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Starsfan24
Drunkkkkk

Oh shoot no more L.A.

So happy right now, no more late starts.

Starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:12 PM
WhoahNow

Now we just need to get a retro stars 3rd jerseys and I`ll be set. I`m curious to see how the playoffs work.

WhoahNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:12 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
This is awesome!

What a drastic change from the norm, very much looking forward to next season!

Er.....I mean, there's still this season to play, of course, so....yay?

But still.....CHANGE!

12-05-2011, 11:17 PM
Starsfan24
Drunkkkkk

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoahNow View Post
Now we just need to get a retro stars 3rd jerseys and I`ll be set. I`m curious to see how the playoffs work.
Quote:
The realignment is aimed at evening out the travel schedules for all NHL teams with each team playing teams outside their conference twice per year, once at home and on the road.

In the seven-team Conferences, teams would play six times -- three home, three away. In the eight-team Conferences, a bit more manoeuvering would be required.

Teams in the conferences of eight would play either five or six times per season on a rotating basis; three teams would play each other six times and four teams would play each other five times. This process would reverse each season.

The top four teams in each Conference would qualify for the playoffs. The first-place team would play the fourth-place team; the second-place team would play the third-place team. The four respective Conference champions would meet in the third round of the Playoffs, with the survivors playing for the Stanley Cup.
I love the new change

Starsfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Al Core

It's amazing how many people on the main board had no clue about the West's issues with the current system. A bunch of them seem to think the Det/Wpg swap would have made everyone happy. Clearly not.

I don't see any reason for a Western Conference fan to not like this. I'm sure it will get tinkered with, but the regular season just got a lot more interesting. And travel got evened out throughout the league.

Al Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

Howdy, neighbors!

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Core View Post
And travel got evened out throughout the league.
Think that is more what pisses everyone off in the East off more.

Only ones, I think, that have any room to complain atm is Tampa Bay and Florida. Someone on twitter posted that they both would now travel more than Dallas will have to.

Winnipeg, maybe, with being the only Canadian squad. But the travel for them makes sense to be with Minnesota.

Old
12-06-2011, 12:49 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Well this is a huge step in the right direction. It's awesome to be out of the Pacific and into a division with teams Stars fans actually care about.

But I don't get at all why the West has more teams. That's a fundamentally unfair flaw in the system that makes it undeniably more likely for an Eastern team to win the Cup. I suppose it would've been greedy to expect the NHL to get it 100% right.... but still, this aspect just doesn't sit right with me.

On the other hand... so many more 6:30-7:30 start times. Aww yea.

Last edited by piqued: 12-06-2011 at 12:54 AM.
piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
But I don't get at all why the West has more teams. That's a fundamentally unfair flaw in the system that makes it undeniably more likely for an Eastern team to win the Cup. I suppose it would've been greedy to expect the NHL to get it 100% right.... but still, this just doesn't sit right with me.
Thing is, Western/Eastern thing is completely out of the picture.

As they've been reporting, first two rounds are within your own conference. Then come the 3rd round, it'll be redrawn. 1vs4, 2vs3 in terms of point totals in regular season. So could easily have a Vancouver vs Detroit Cup Final.

Old
12-06-2011, 12:55 AM
Al Core

I'm gonna sound like an ass here, but I think the problem is the Eastern Conference in general. One of the rumors floating around was that the east got the two 7-team conferences because they couldn't get them to vote for realignment any other way. They basically know they have a competitive advantage, and they don't want to give it all away. Hopefully they tinker away and either through contraction or expansion even things out. But I'm just not sure the NHL can get the east-coast teams to budge.

About the east coasters complaining about travel, I love it. Bob Sturm put it best on twitter - "Sorry you can't play round robin all season on your buses while rest of the league peers thru window."

I agree with him completely.

Al Core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 12:57 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

LA, Anaheim, and Phoenix 4 less times a year? **** yes.

Quote:
About the east coasters complaining about travel, I love it. Bob Sturm put it best on twitter - "Sorry you can't play round robin all season on your buses while rest of the league peers thru window."

I agree with him completely.
I think they did that because they forsee Phoenix relocating.

Also I'd agree, but I think the Atlantic is getting an unfair chance too. 7 teams in a conference that 5 cities can all bus to. But what can you do with 3 arenas are within 20 miles of each other.

All I know is that I get to see the Stars 3x every year living in NYC, as opposed to every other year. So I'm pumped.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:09 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Thing is, Western/Eastern thing is completely out of the picture.

As they've been reporting, first two rounds are within your own conference. Then come the 3rd round, it'll be redrawn. 1vs4, 2vs3 in terms of point totals in regular season. So could easily have a Vancouver vs Detroit Cup Final.
Right. Perhaps I should've said 'teams from the former Eastern Conference' have a better chance to win the Cup. They have an easier first hurdle.

Then again, they now have to actually travel. But I don't think that lowers their odds as much as this raises them.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:15 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Right. Perhaps I should've said 'teams from the former Eastern Conference' have a better chance to win the Cup. They have an easier first hurdle.
Don't get how it's easier

Are you saying it's easier to get out of the first two rounds for them? Could totally see that.

Also don't under the argument about a 5th place team in another conference being stronger than a 4th place team from another conference. You're playing 42 games against the teams that are in your conference/division...you have plenty of chances to prove yourself against the teams that it matters.

Last edited by Stars99Lobo37: 12-06-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old
12-06-2011, 01:17 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

I'm saying it's easier to make the playoffs. You have a 57% chance if you're a former Eastern team. You have a 50% chance if you're a former Western team. Right now we start the season with a 53% chance.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

O gotcha. To make the playoffs, I agree. To win the Cup, eh...different story.

Old
12-06-2011, 01:39 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

It'll eventually change, but right now the Atlantic also has a brutal first two rounds. Rangers Pens Flyers Caps make it in, you have to beat 2 out of 3 of them just to make it to the Semi-Final. Obviously as the years go on and teams decline/improve it'll change, but for now that's pretty rough.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 01:59 AM
phil7488
RIP Lokomotiv

This looks like a definite win for the Stars and the league as a whole. We get a home and home against every team, and we're in a more likeable are marketable "conference". This will certainly boost attendance and create new rivalries, and it gets us the hell out of the pacific. This balances the league out even more, and creates more travel parity for the western teams. Big win for the Stars, and hockey as a whole.

phil7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 02:00 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
They basically know they have a competitive advantage, and they don't want to give it all away.
Competitive AND financial advantage by having the glut of big name talent.

I don't know all the ins and outs of this thing yet but I'm ecstatic we're not in the Pacific Division anymore. It seems to me that the NHL is setting itself up to be a 32 team league in fairly short order. The two extra teams will slide nicely into the eastern conferences with teams in Hamilton and Quebec (I think).

All in all I think the NHL just got a lot more interesting, top to bottom. Don't be surprised if Stars players get more media pub now that our team will be east coast-leaning in scheduling and so forth. This is good for the league as a whole from a number of angles and great for the Stars. First we get an owner now we get this big problem fixed. I'm legitimately happy about something the league has done...I'm at a loss for words.

Edit: I lied, I'm not at a loss for words. Piqued made a great point about being grouped with teams Stars fans actually care about. To me St. Louis has always felt like a city that the city of Dallas should have more of a sports rivalry with. The Blues currently having such a former Stars feel to things doesn't hurt either.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 03:12 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

You've got four conferences, why not pod the two western together along with the two eastern together and best eight gets in? This inner conference playoff thing is terrible. Some years there are four or five teams that are better than the top of the other conference but because of how they split things a pretty good team or two is going to be left out.

I love the home/home with every team in the league. I just don't need six conference games with the same damn teams over and over again. There's something to be said for the current inner conference games but that's basically going away now. I don't want to be on the west coast three times a year but I also want more than just two Sharks games on the schedule. Is there really not a happy medium that gives us home/home against everyone, division games, and "podded" match-ups too?

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 04:26 AM
Dallas Stars
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModanoMan View Post
As a Dallas fan living in Winnipeg, sharing a division with the Jets would be fantastic for me as well.
Looks like we got our wish!

Can't for the increased Stars games here in the phone booth!

Dallas Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-06-2011, 08:11 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Just stopped by to say how awesome it is for Minnesota to be back in the old Norris where it belongs...can't say I have any love for your squad (for obvious reasons)...also glad to see the old division style playoffs are back to breed intense rivalries...looking forward to the Wild competing with you guys as rivals in the future!

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote