Notices

Kotalik does not report to AHL

Old
09-28-2011, 01:32 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
Kotalik does not report to AHL

Kotalik refuses to report, and by the looks of it, the Sabres are going to jettison him into the Atlantic Ocean so he can play in Europe. Kotalik isn't going to play in the NHL, and the Sabres aren't going to pay him 3 million to sit in Rochester. Why couldn't Feaster have done this rather than, now, literally giving away our 2nd?

www.twitter.com/mirtle

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:43 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Jay Feaster View Post
Kotalik refuses to report, and by the looks of it, the Sabres are going to jettison him into the Atlantic Ocean so he can play in Europe. Kotalik isn't going to play in the NHL, and the Sabres aren't going to pay him 3 million to sit in Rochester. Why couldn't Feaster have done this rather than, now, literally giving away our 2nd?

www.twitter.com/mirtle
The Flames owners most likely wouldn't foot the 3 million dollar bill to send him to Europe. They would still be paying his salary I believe. Pegula will swallow that burden for Buffalo.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Backlund View Post
The Flames owners most likely wouldn't foot the 3 million dollar bill to send him to Europe. They would still be paying his salary I believe. Pegula will swallow that burden for Buffalo.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure when a player refuses to report, their contract is void. If I'm right, I'm pretty ****ing pissed.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:21 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic View Post
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure when a player refuses to report, their contract is void. If I'm right, I'm pretty ****ing pissed.
You're right, unless Buffalo tolls the contract.

This is exactly what I was afraid of with that trade.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Janks
Pope Janks

Quote:
This to a tee. IF a player voiding their contract includes defaulting to Europe, then the trade would have been very short-sighted by Feaster.

Janks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:26 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
You're right, unless Buffalo tolls the contract.

This is exactly what I was afraid of with that trade.
Same thing I thought, as well. Kotalik explicitly stated at the end of last season that, if he didn't play in the NHL this coming season, he'd play in Europe. Just have to hope Byron and Butler continue to impress and make it more worthwhile than it first seemed.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Same thing I thought, as well. Kotalik explicitly stated at the end of last season that, if he didn't play in the NHL this coming season, he'd play in Europe. Just have to hope Byron and Butler continue to impress and make it more worthwhile than it first seemed.
Normally I'd be a bit angry as well, but Butler, and especially Byron, have done great so far. Beginning to see why he gave up that 2nd for Byron.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:40 PM
The Gnome

I thought the way it worked is that Kotalik would be loaned to a European team and BUF would foot most of the bill.

If BUF winds up not paying a dime then why did Feaster have to move him?! Whoever made that decision (whether it was the upper brass or Feaster) would look dumb.

EDIT: At the same time didn't we have to get rid of Kotalik's contract in order to re-sign Tanguay?

Last edited by The Gnome: 09-28-2011 at 04:32 PM.
The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

What was sort sighted is that we should moved Stajan in place of Kotalik, the Sabres would of actually had a spot for Stajan as they didn't really have one for Kotalik. I would of been fine with sending them the 2nd round pick if it was Stajan.

We would of got a bad long term contract of off our hands (which was higher than Kotalik's). And if anything we would of just had to swallow Kotalik's contract for one more year and this outcome of him going to Europe would of likely happened anyways. The Sabres are laughing all the way to the bank with that draft pick now.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 04:42 PM
Northern Neighbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
What was sort sighted is that we should moved Stajan in place of Kotalik, the Sabres would of actually had a spot for Stajan as they didn't really have one for Kotalik. I would of been fine with sending them the 2nd round pick if it was Stajan.

We would of got a bad long term contract of off our hands (which was higher than Kotalik's). And if anything we would of just had to swallow Kotalik's contract for one more year and this outcome of him going to Europe would of likely happened anyways. The Sabres are laughing all the way to the bank with that draft pick now.
But how do you know if the Sabres had any interest in Stajan at all? It takes two to tango.

In all likelihood, the Sabres had no interest in Stajan and his long-term contract. Remember the deal was made around the draft, and it was well known at the time that the Sabres were targeting Brad Richards in FA.

Northern Neighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:08 PM
goodsauce

Guys, chill. we unloaded reggies contract, and received butler and byron, both have had great camps. Still a great trade by feaster, minus the 2nd we gave up.

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:28 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 1800
Quote:

Buffalo got a second for taking one year of Kotalik, we would have had to send a damn 1st for them to take 3 years of Stajan. Can not compare the two players. How are they laughing when you have yet to see what Butler and Byron do. Or is that coveted 2nd rounder worth more then those two.

And I am pretty sure Buffalo still has to pay the 3 million.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 05:57 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by artysmith View Post
Guys, chill. we unloaded reggies contract, and received butler and byron, both have had great camps. Still a great trade by feaster, minus the 2nd we gave up.
Yeah and the Toronto-Boston Kessel trade was great for Toronto minus the two 1st rounders.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Padlock

Not surprised at all, Kotalik is doing exactly as he said he would. I also don't get what people have seen out of Byron, he looks way out of his league

Padlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:14 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Dust Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Buffalo got a second for taking one year of Kotalik, we would have had to send a damn 1st for them to take 3 years of Stajan. Can not compare the two players. How are they laughing when you have yet to see what Butler and Byron do. Or is that coveted 2nd rounder worth more then those two. And I am pretty sure Buffalo still has to pay the 3 million.
What does that even have to do with anything, we didn't just trade a 2nd for Byron and Butler, we also sent them Regehr. Can you honestly tell me that Regehr, Stajan and a 2nd for Byron and Butler wouldn't of been good value for Buffalo? I can guarantee Sabres fans would of been estatic if that was the deal that went down.

Also, Buffalo had Roy, Connolly, Gaustad and Niedermayer for the centres last year. It was known that Connolly was likely on his way out of town and Niedermayer for sure wasn't going to come back. So before July 1st happened, Stajan would of slotted in as their 2nd line centre after Connolly was gone. They were able to sign Leino, however he is natually better as a winger. Stajan would of fit nicely on that team, Feaster was the one holding cards as Buffalo were the ones who wanted Regehr, he should of dictated the terms of the trade better.

I am more than happy that Byron and Butler are on the Flames, but that doesn't mean that it was the best trade that we could of got.

Btw, the 2nd paragraph wasn't directed at you Flames666.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:46 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Have you guys for one second stopped to think that Kotalik would not entertain this option as a member of the Calgary Flames?

Had he told Feaster that these were his intentions, obviously the deal would have been altered to not include Kotalik at all.

Ya..."short sighted", that sums up the responses in this thread.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 07:49 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
What does that even have to do with anything, we didn't just trade a 2nd for Byron and Butler, we also sent them Regehr. Can you honestly tell me that Regehr, Stajan and a 2nd for Byron and Butler wouldn't of been good value for Buffalo? I can guarantee Sabres fans would of been estatic if that was the deal that went down.

Also, Buffalo had Roy, Connolly, Gaustad and Niedermayer for the centres last year. It was known that Connolly was likely on his way out of town and Niedermayer for sure wasn't going to come back. So before July 1st happened, Stajan would of slotted in as their 2nd line centre after Connolly was gone. They were able to sign Leino, however he is natually better as a winger. Stajan would of fit nicely on that team, Feaster was the one holding cards as Buffalo were the ones who wanted Regehr, he should of dictated the terms of the trade better.

I am more than happy that Byron and Butler are on the Flames, but that doesn't mean that it was the best trade that we could of got.

Btw, the 2nd paragraph wasn't directed at you Flames666.
You, nor anybody here knows the value that Regehr commanded this summer. Feaster openly stated that no offer on the table was remotely close to what we ended up taking.

That certainly suggests to me that Regehr's value was certainly not what we all expected it to be.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:37 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
You, nor anybody here knows the value that Regehr commanded this summer. Feaster openly stated that no offer on the table was remotely close to what we ended up taking.

That certainly suggests to me that Regehr's value was certainly not what we all expected it to be.
Definitely wasn't, especially with similar type D-man like Hannan signing a 1 million dollar contract. But fans just add value since they have been cheering for him the past decade.

Old
09-28-2011, 08:38 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Can you honestly tell me that Regehr, Stajan and a 2nd for Byron and Butler wouldn't of been good value for Buffalo? I can guarantee Sabres fans would of been estatic if that was the deal that went down.
I don't know, go post a thread and see the response you get . I bet quite a few would not like being stuck with that contract.

Old
09-28-2011, 08:55 PM
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post

Actually I know the details of a trade with SJ that was vetoed by Flames Ownership after Regehr said he was refusing to waive to anywhere but SJ. Parts of it are intriguing.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 08:58 PM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Definitely wasn't, especially with similar type D-man like Hannan signing a 1 million dollar contract. But fans just add value since they have been cheering for him the past decade.
Regehr = Hannan?

At the end of last season, Regher was probably the Flames top2-3 dman. Hannan was already waiver material.

Did Regher just become bad a month after the season ended?

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Stewie Griffin
#unsustainable

Going by what happened with Marcus Nilsson, I think it goes something like this...

If he is able to sign in Europe that team effectively is loaned the player from the NHL club. The European club will sign him for (argument's sake) say $1 million and pay that amount of his contract, while the NHL club will pay the remaining $2 million of his contract. There are no salary cap implications of this kind of deal.

Either way, if Feaster doesn't include Kotalik in the Regehr trade, then that means no chasing Richards, and limited ability to re-sign Tanguay etc. I'm still fine with it.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 09:36 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
Regehr = Hannan?

At the end of last season, Regher was probably the Flames top2-3 dman. Hannan was already waiver material.

No Hannan himself does not equal Regehr, but shutdown D man are not popular players in the trade market, especially ones that are getting older and slower.

Old
09-28-2011, 11:05 PM
SmellOfVictory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Hockey Fan View Post
Regehr = Hannan?

Regehr is a slow, oldschool shutdown dman who can play on a top pairing. Hannan is a slow, oldschool shutdown dman who can play on a 2nd pairing. He's not a full replacement, but he was certainly an improvement over the options the Flames had beyond JBo, Gio, and Butler.

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 11:38 PM
tyflames
Baertschi is God

Quote:
Actually I know the details of a trade with SJ that was vetoed by Flames Ownership after Regehr said he was refusing to waive to anywhere but SJ. Parts of it are intriguing.
Then what were they? That is saying you have any credibility as a source which I most likely doubt.

tyflames is offline   Reply With Quote