HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What are the chances that Burke signs another top 4 defenceman?

Old
06-25-2011, 03:11 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
as much as i love Schenn, how about this: trade Schenn for a #1C and sign Bieksa to replace him

Nonis and Bieksa are tight too
Bieksa will be overpaid, and not worth it.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:13 PM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The addition of JM Liles addressed a need for a PMD and offensive dman, and it made the defense more costly in the process.

Granted, while Liles is going to help generate more offense I'm still wondering, who is going to help the team play better defense?
With the Cap going up to 64 million, a Defence totaling under 24 million is not horribly overpaid, and it creates great depth for us.

Liles may not be the best Dmen in his own zone, but we have 3 (4 if Komi gets it together) that are better then average that can pull there own weight. If Reimer can continue to play like he did last year, it will boost there confidence and hopefully the better D will come with it.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:19 PM
RusskiyHockey

What's wrong with keeping the defense as is? Every year there has been so much tweaking to the d-core - trades, signings, etc. Just let Schenn, Gunnarsson, and Aulie continue to develop as Leafs.

RusskiyHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Schennanigans
HFBoards Sponsor

I wouldn't mind bringing white back here.

Schennanigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:33 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc116 View Post
No I'm talking about a big name UFA to play with Phaneuf

then Aulie gets bumped down and Komi becomes 7th d or someone else gets traded
Komisarek is not being paid 4.5 to sit on the bench. Burke won't sign a big name Dman until all his RFA's and other needs are filled, and he re-evaluates his cap space.

NoTouchIcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:35 PM
NoTouchIcing

We also have to expect that Schenn, Aulie and Gunnar will grow and improve as players. We haven't seen them to their full potential, which is exciting in itself.

NoTouchIcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:37 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

It's fine the way it is right now with the addition of Liles. Getting Richards signed and upgrading the bottom six through UFA are the next things to be checked off the list.

thebluemachine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Shak19

Trade Schenn for #1 C

Sign Bieksa

Phaneuf - Bieksa
Liles - Komisarek
Aulie - Gunnarsson

Shak19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:41 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTime View Post
It's fine the way it is right now with the addition of Liles. Getting Richards signed and upgrading the bottom six through UFA are the next things to be checked off the list.
Agreed.

We we stick to the UFA market I want:

Richards
Upshall
Talbot/Konopka

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Who knows, maybe the coaching will be better this year? Our defense was also pretty solid once we had a consistently good goalie in there (Reimer).
I wouldn't mind going for a Bieksa/Ehrhoff/Pitkanen and then dumping Komisarek to a team that needs to get to the cap floor. If we can land Richards and also get Gagne to come, suddenly we have a team like this:

Kessel-Richards-Lupul
Kulemin-Grabovski-Gagne
Armstrong-Bozak-MacArthur/Kadri
Brown/Crabb/Boyce/Brent/Frattin/Colborne/Hanson/Orr whomever

Phaneuf Liles
Schenn Bieksa/Ehrhoff/Pitkanen
Gunnarsson Aulie

Reimer
Gustavsson

That looks like a real NHL team.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:46 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:

I'll tell you right now, there's a 0% chance of that happening and I'm very confident when I say that.

Only chance we sign another D is if one of our existing d-men gets traded before July 1st, and even if we did it wouldn't be any of the three you listed in OP

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Who knows, maybe the coaching will be better this year? Our defense was also pretty solid once we had a consistently good goalie in there (Reimer).
Did you think trading Kaberle away, replacing him with Aulie and upping the playing time of Gunnarsson two better defense dmen might have been a reason for the on ice improvement?.

Now Leafs are bringing in a 20 minute offensive dman to replace Kaberle's offensive, who is even weaker defensively than Tomas was.

This move is not made to help protect Reimer but fix the PP.

So will Burke address the need to fix the PK and goals against by providing additional help for the defense with a new addition?

06-25-2011, 03:53 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexxed14 View Post
Agreed.

We we stick to the UFA market I want:

Richards
Upshall
Talbot/Konopka
I have the same list only with Laich added in there also.

Old
06-25-2011, 03:57 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaiTesla View Post
Bieksa will be overpaid, and not worth it.
Yes way too inconsistent. This season he was great but a career minus guy. A poor mans Souray/McCabe/Jovo (altho better than all of them this season). I like Wiz more but he has only had one good season and would want to be paid as though that is his established level.

They are back to way too much $ spent on the D so no way they add unless a big salary is moved. Gunnar and Aulie aren't enough. The stumbling block is Komi, although with Campbell being dealt I guess anything is possible. I think their D should be in pretty good shape. No pouting Kabby. No need to play Lebda to justify his signing. And what SHOULD be better goaltending to start the year. If they add a better than Bozak top line center they will spend more time in the other teams end as well. So I will go out on a limb and say zero chance.

Now in spite of the fact I think the club has some solid options to challenge for bottom 6 forward spots I think it's a lot more likely BB looks at that. Upshall, Jokinen or Laich, if the price is right, and only if he misses on Richards and has to do a cheaper plan B so there is cap space left. Maybe a fourth line hammer head like Konoka. I do not expect him to sell the farm to get a #1 center that isn't really on the market.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Did you think trading Kaberle away, replacing him with Aulie and upping the playing time of Gunnarsson two better defense dmen might have been a reason for the on ice improvement?.

Now Leafs are bringing in a 20 minute offensive dman to replace Kaberle's offensive, who is even weaker defensively than Tomas was.

So will Burke address the need to fix the PK and goals against by providing additional help for the defense with a new addition?
I think their defensive game is comparable...

I think our defensive help needs to come from the forward core at this point. Defense is more than just the players on the blueline

Vexxed14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Hanta Yo
Bag it up

I can't see him adding another D man, unless Komi is moved.

Hanta Yo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:04 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:

He should just tell Komisarek to start blocking shots whichever way he can, whether it's his face or his crotch. Otherwise we'll ship him out for someone that could actually improve our PK because I don't see any of the other guys being moved.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:11 PM
thebluemachine*
go ahead, do it

Quote:

There are ways to improve the PK without adding to the blue line. For starters two new coaching assistants were hired for specialty teams in place of the two disasters that once held a job here.

Old
06-25-2011, 04:27 PM
KesselPhaneufTML

Seeing Campbell get traded, I have a grain of hope now that Komi can be traded.

KesselPhaneufTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:51 PM
Sluck13

considering we have 5 top 4 defenceman already where more likely to trade one away than get another one, for people who dont consider gunnar or Aulie top 4 dman look how they played after we traded Kaberle and Beushiman you cant argue with results

Sluck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 04:55 PM
KesselPhaneufTML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluck13 View Post
considering we have 5 top 4 defenceman already where more likely to trade one away than get another one, for people who dont consider gunnar or Aulie top 4 dman look how they played after we traded Kaberle and Beushiman you cant argue with results
I'm sorry but you butchered the spelling of Beauchemin

KesselPhaneufTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:06 PM
birddog*

Quote:

Burke will sign players that he think will be assets as long as he like the terms. I can see guys like Laich, Erhoff, Bieksa, Wisnewski, etc. all being considered but it depends on how much they want.

I wouldn't put it past Burke signing someone like Laich or a D and trading MacArthur or a D man.

birddog* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:08 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselPhaneufTML View Post
Seeing Campbell get traded, I have a grain of hope now that Komi can be traded.
yea but Campbell >>> Komi

Leafs just need to focus on adding sandpaper and scoring to the forward corps.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

don't think any are coming here, unless we move one of our D.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 05:35 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:

Is there really any part of Liles game that is worse than Kaberle other than the odd stretch pass? In the last four years anyways? He scores more goals, hits more, blocks more shots, is credited with fewer giveaways and more takeaways. Not a defensive stalwart by any means but not really weak either if you look at the numbers. If you have a D man who can move the puck out of your zone he is helping the goalie.

They have top 4 D men for their PK. The issue isn't just the players its the system although step 1 is a goalie who can make some big saves and that never occurred until mid season. The assistants took the fall for that but maybe it was deserved. In a year where the team vastly inproved but for odd man situations it shows Wilson and BB weren't putting it all on the skaters. lets see if the club adapts as they should have a pretty good idea what doesn't work on the PK by now. If they don't show more the first quarter of next season I will agree with you they need a defensive upgrade, but they have several supposed "shut down" types, so I hope not.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote