Old
07-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice92 View Post
I know this won't be the logo but I kinda like this:

That logo is great but the numbers are horrible to read.

Old
07-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Swiper the Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
That logo is great.
are you fricken kidding me
that logo is great ...................
huh

that is the most butt-ugly logo i've ever encountered
or pretty close to it

Last edited by Jet: 07-14-2011 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Attack the post... not the poster
Old
07-14-2011, 12:51 PM
New Jets
Jets fan since '79

If TNSE have finalized a logo just release it already.

So we can all move on to the next speculative topic: jersey designs.

Old
07-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Just to clarify, I do not hate jetsowner. I believe it has a place in the Jets landscape. It was there when no one else believed the NHL would return to the NHL.

The issue is, there is no systems in place to control the accuracy and legitimacy of the information, posters and sources there. Therefore it is not considered an accurate source here.

Either way, back on topic guys, this thread is about the Jets logo and thread.

07-14-2011, 12:54 PM
White Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jets View Post
Or it could have very well been the case where TNSE just wanted to focus on purchasing and relocating a team FIRST rather than think of a new name, logo, etc. That would be like placing the cart ahead of the horse.

Think about the number of times TNSE were close to nabbing the Yotes (I believe it was 3 times) -- nothing was a gurantee so the focus was always team first, everything else later.

There may have been some informal talk of a name during the period of May 2010-May 2011 but nothing significant IMO.
Oh Absolutely. I think those informal talks and discussions may have gone back as far as January and even back to 09 when they expressed an interest in the Coyotes.

There could very likely have been an informal Plan A or informal Plan B. TN would have the engines idling and then throttle up as the need required. It is also possible that naming the team Winnipeg Jets had some impact on their plans but not enough to change anything all that much.

TN was a bridesmaid a few times dealing with the Yotes. It is most likely that Plan B took place over time. My best guess is before Christmas of 2010. The ASG group was in a legal court battle over the sale of the Thrashers. The court ruled that the team could be sold and it went on sale Jan 1st. It was no secret that this was happening and I'm sure TN was aware of this. Meanwhile, Phx is still dealing with their issues and nothing getting done until the COG comes up with the 25 million. TN then looks to Atlanta and things move very quickly. I'm sure the NHL itself had a Plan A and Plan B for TN. NHL is for TN buying the Yotes but the COG prevented that. Atlanta is there which the NHL is well aware of and gives the nod to TN. Then it becomes strictly a business deal between ASG and TN. ASG has the team and Wpg is a ready for arrival city.

-37-

Last edited by White Noise: 07-14-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old
07-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Moe Mantha

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einstein Theory View Post
I often wonder if there was not an internal squable between Chipman and Thomson on the name?

Although not a reliable source, Peter Tessier at HockeyBuzz mentioned at that at a phone in "rehersal" for the announcement news conference, David Thomson was heard saying "we'll be calling them the Jets" (paraphrasing).

I wonder if Chipman was a little too attached to his Moose-child, and a little bitter having to live in the shadow of the name JETS? Perhaps it took David Thomson, and his "leak" to Stephen Brunt, to open Chipman's eyes?

If that's the case, its David Thomson we should be thanking.

Pure speculation on my part.
Nice theory, Einstein!

I agree about your assessment regarding Chipman and the Moose. I hope he's not bitter about the hold the Jets were able to maintain in spite of the great Moose franchise during the last decade and a half.

Old
07-14-2011, 01:25 PM
White Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnipegFalcon View Post
Ok, so from what I understand the logo is sort of a compass and RCAF logo in one, with a Jet as the arrow of the compass pointing North.
That's right, it is.

But it just might be too close to the RCAF logo to even allow it. The real logo is just circles with a red maple leaf in the middle. There is none of that compass stuff and certainly no Jet covering the Leaf. I guess our airforce just have it's priorities straight.

-37-

Old
07-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Einstein Theory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Mantha View Post
Nice theory, Einstein!

I agree about your assessment regarding Chipman and the Moose. I hope he's not bitter about the hold the Jets were able to maintain in spite of the great Moose franchise during the last decade and a half.
I guess a less sensational slant to my theory would simply be that "Jets" was the front runner all along, but Chipman just wanted to take some time to study all possible options before making such a large decision.

I like to think that TNSE operates that way. They have good instinct, but they do take the time for a little sober second thought.

Old
07-14-2011, 02:12 PM
PuckNerd

I think Moose is a great minor league name, but don't think it would hold much substance in the Pros. Side note, I made the Moose as a college football team in NCAA 12.

Old
07-14-2011, 02:19 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijet View Post
I think Moose is a great minor league name, but don't think it would hold much substance in the Pros. Side note, I made the Moose as a college football team in NCAA 12.
Yep Moose is a minor league team name imho. But whatever else, I thought they had a nice logo. Their newer logo was really well-drawn and composed, imho:

Their original one was just kinda meh:

Old
07-14-2011, 02:27 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Yep Moose is a minor league team name imho. But whatever else, I thought they had a nice logo. Their newer logo was really well-drawn and composed, imho:

The Moose Head (no pun intended) was a pretty cool logo too. When you look at the logos of the AHL, there are some that you could see working in the NHL, being on TV, merchandise, sort of well known, beyond just the community in which they play. The 2005-11 Manitoba Moose logo was one of them. Others just scream minor league, like the Peoria Riverman as one example.

Old
07-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
True,

I suspect that TN may have had the logo ready and was going to call the team something other than the Winnipeg Jets. This changed at the last minute due to fan pressure and this has a lot to do with the delay. I can't say that for sure, it's just a gut feeling on my part. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that TN has explained the reason to the other NHL teams and Upper Deck. This is a one time situation and won't happen again.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/07/1...s-hockey-cards

-37-
This my feeling as well.

During his speech on May 31, 2011, Chipman said something like "watching the Moose organization get called up to the NHL" like some of their players being called up to the Canucks.

I believe they were going to go with the Moose, but, changed it to the Jets.

Old
07-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Logos often seem minor league but grow after time. For example, the Philadelphia "P" or Vancouver's hockey stick in a box.

The angry Moose logo was great and will be missed. It was better than numerous current NHL logos.

I would like to see the RCAF-inspired logo for the Jets.

Old
07-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
This my feeling as well.

During his speech on May 31, 2011, Chipman said something like "watching the Moose organization get called up to the NHL" like some of their players being called up to the Canucks.

I thought of this possibility but if they wanted to call the team "Moose" they could have done so right off the bat.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:17 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:

Well the original one was, I assume, kind of a rush job, as they basically didn't change anything after the move from Minnesota:

Old
07-14-2011, 03:26 PM
White Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian17 View Post
This my feeling as well.

That could very well be. This may sound weird but the Moose were like a son to him. The Moose came in under the IHL, were good enough to merge in to AHL and then to move them into the NHL would be like watching a son grow and graduate from university. Then that he gave that up that for the name Jets because of the public pressure. He said he was emotional at the draft because bringing the NHL to Wpg. I don't know but I sure think he had plans to call the team something else and that was part of it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood3 View Post
I thought of this possibility but if they wanted to call the team "Moose" they could have done so right off the bat.
This is where things get a little mushy. They announced the team on May 31. It could be they were waiting for BOG approval and then would make the announcement. It is also possible that is when they would have brought out the new Moose logo but the Winnipeg Jet name started flying around. Maybe this is all BS and they were spending a lot of time on the name. It could be possible that it took so long because he wanted another name but realized Winnipeg Jets was the way to go. I could see where that would be a tough decision for him.

Just for the info of others that may not be aware,

The cartoon type Moose is the IHL logo which came from Minnesota. They just switched Minny for Manitoba and added the red leaf.

The fighting Moose is the AHL logo.

-37-

Old
07-14-2011, 03:37 PM
New Jets
Jets fan since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Noise View Post
That could very well be. This may sound weird but the Moose were like a son to him. The Moose came in under the IHL, were good enough to merge in to AHL and then to move them into the NHL would be like watching a son grow and graduate from university. Then that he gave that up that for the name Jets because of the public pressure. He said he was emotional at the draft because bringing the NHL to Wpg. I don't know but I sure think he had plans to call the team something else and that was part of it as well.
Remember, Chipper was a young businessman whose family tried very hard to save the Jets back in 95. Chipman was very disapointed that they failed to save the team and made it his goal to try and bring the best possible hockey back to the city of Winnipeg. That led to bringing the Minnesota Moose over and the IHL and then led to the eventual merger into the AHL -- you can see that Chipman's sights were to one day get back to the NHL.

The Winnipeg Jets were the reason he got into the hockey business in the first place. Going back to that name made more sense to Chipman than it did to go with the Moose name.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:43 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Oh yeah the Angry Moose Head logo is a badass logo. Really well-drawn, it looks like a modern major league logo. The description of the new Jets logo isn't exactly thrilling me, but I hope they 'pro it up' and have something to the same standards.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:48 PM
New Jets
Jets fan since '79

Quote:
Oh yeah the Angry Moose Head logo is a badass logo. Really well-drawn, it looks like a modern major league logo. The description of the new Jets logo isn't exactly thrilling me, but I hope they 'pro it up' and have something to the same standards.
The logo was good but the name still sucked, IMO.

A Moose may be big and mean, but its also dumb and slow.

Old
07-14-2011, 03:59 PM
JetFan4Ever

vCash: 678
Quote:
To be honst I don't even know what "pro it up" means. Many of the logos used today by teams that have been in the league for awhile, if introduced today, would be mocked as being minor league.

Old
07-14-2011, 04:03 PM
White Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jets View Post
Remember, Chipper was a young businessman whose family tried very hard to save the Jets back in 95. Chipman was very disapointed that they failed to save the team and made it his goal to try and bring the best possible hockey back to the city of Winnipeg. That led to bringing the Minnesota Moose over and the IHL and then led to the eventual merger into the AHL -- you can see that Chipman's sights were to one day get back to the NHL.

The Winnipeg Jets were the reason he got into the hockey business in the first place. Going back to that name made more sense to Chipman than it did to go with the Moose name.
I really believe that. I think Chipman was a member in that group of businessman that got together to buy the team but was turned down. As far as the name goes, your guess is as good as mine. Perhaps if Phx were to return, the name would be the Jets. Plan B could be for something different or exactly the same. A very strong arguement could be made that Chipman knew as far back as 96 what this team would be called and what the uniform could look like. Opening Night for the Moose was 11 Oct 96. I would suggest that would be a date the big dream started. I believe there is a good story and some day a biography or auto-biography will be written. From a management perspective, it would be an excellent case study for business students in management and dealing with people etc.

-37-

Old
07-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan4Ever View Post
To be honst I don't even know what "pro it up" means. Many of the logos used today by teams that have been in the league for awhile, if introduced today, would be mocked as being minor league.
Yes... for instance the Penguins logo.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:08 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan4Ever View Post
Neither do I. I guess it comes down to the execution of the concept, and how polished it looks. Now, you might hate the Sharks logo or you might like the logo. I'll use it as an example.

Original Sharks logo. Just kinda ok.

[IMG]http://www.****************/images/logos/1/26/full/181.gif[/IMG]

The redesigned, current logo. 'Pro'ed Up'. Exact same concept. But it's more refined. The shark is an improvement. All around, the logo is better balanced, makes better use of angles, space and color. It just looks nicer overall IMHO...even if cartoon-style logos aren't your thing, I think most would say it's a superior execution of the same concept.

[IMG]http://www.****************/images/logos/1/26/full/dmo1xf3z4pph27vmg3gf.gif[/IMG]

Old
07-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7

vCash: 1580
I never realized how much I like the newest Moose logo. It looks major league if you ask me.

Old
07-14-2011, 05:58 PM
White Noise

If Pro it Up is a term, Pro It Down must be a term also

Not sure if links can be posted but I'm thinking of our entry draft choice, Jason Kasdorf.

Look up Portage Terriers and have a look at their logo

He will be going to the Rensselear Polytechnic Institute of Engineers so look up their logo.

Q. Did Kasdorf "logo up" or did he "logo down"

Q. Do fans support the team, player or logo

Q. Teams and certain players come and go. Which is more import over the long run
The logo or the given any given team or player.

-37-

Closed Thread